Is there any *good* news about Eclipse or S-class? Getting nervous reading these comments

kwagmyre

So we are boarding Eclipse tomorrow for an Alaskan cruise, this is something we have looked forward to for years , but I am getting apprehensive with all the bad reviews. 

A little background, I have cruised about 10 or so times as an adult, this will be our fourth since covid. The other three post-pandemic were Carnival, NCL and Royal. All were enjoyable experiences, though the post-covid-cutbacks are apparent across the board. 

But I had thought Celebrity was supposed to be different. Certainly it was the one time I sailed Reflection around 10 years ago when it was the flagship. From the champagne on boarding, to the sleek and stylish entertainment, to the excellent food and wine list, to the creperie and pastries at Al Bacio, to the stunning art and glass everywhere, it was clearly a cut above. 

Now I am reading scathing indictments across the board.  Gristly steaks, pedestrian drinks, long waits at bars and restaurants, poor quality food, wine a activities and entertainment, nickel & diming at every turn, and you sure AF can forget about your embarkation champagne, at this point it sounds like you’ll be lucky to get a comfortable mattress if not just three hots and a cot. 

And if that is the way it is, so be it, but it certainly doesn’t make sense to pay these prices for a substandard product. I am extra nervous because I had talked up Celebrity to my wife and her parents who we are sailing with, all of whom have not sailed X before. If this falls flat I am going to be honestly be pretty embarrassed. 

Either way, we’ll still be in Alaska and I am sure we will still have a great time. The one bright spot I keep reading about is the service and the efforts of the crew, for whom I have the utmost admiration and respect. It’s gotta be a very tough racket. 

With all the negatives any good news to share?  Hoping to alleviate some very real anxiety I should not be feeling 24 hours before boarding a luxury cruise ship. 

Edited by kwagmyre
  • Haha 1

I sailed her last year and had a wonderful time.  She has not been revolutionized so there is a little wear and tear here and there but I didn't find anything bothersome.  And BTW, the beds were very comfortable!  I have also sailed multiple times recently on S class ships and have not had a bad cruise yet.  Yes, there are some cutbacks as you would find on any cruise line right now.  But overall service was excellent, entertainment was good, food ranged from good to very good, etc..  And you are right - no embarkation champagne anymore.  But is the line still a cut above Carnival and NCL?  No question.  Better than Royal?  Depends what you like.  Depending on the ship Royal may have a little better entertainment experience.  But overall I would advise you to relax.  And please report back - I have a B2B on Eclipse in a couple of months and would love to hear your feedback as well🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Eclipse week of May 21st to Alaska, in Aqua class so our dining experience was primarily in Blu.  We have cruised previously on NCL and once on Celebrity.  We chose Celebrity based on the itinerary. 

You mention Al Bacio - it was most often very crowded, but if you are able to get a seat the coffee is lovely as are the pastries.  Of course you can always do take out. 

Food - so subjective, but we enjoyed Blu.  We ordered from both the main dining room menu and the Blu menu and found the food to be good.  Gourmet? no, but good.  We had one meal in Tuscan Grill. The food was fine, not sure I'd spend the $$ to go there, but we used OBC so it was OK.  I find Celebrity annoying for lunch.  If you don't want to sit in the main dining room, you are at the buffet or the Mast Grill for burgers. Both venues are difficult to find seating, but again the food was fine. 

Bars - we never had a problem getting served anywhere,  or even getting a seat at the martini bar before dinner. 

The staff overall were outstanding.  Each person we encountered simply could not do enough for you. They certainly made for an enjoyable experience. 

With our experience only with two cruise lines, I would not say Celebrity is a luxury line or even above NCL.   So, with reasonable expectations I am sure you will have an enjoyable trip.   And Alaska is amazing!   Enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We boarded Eclipse Apr 22 for 30 nights,  we had no issues.  Food was good, drinks were good, staff was exceptional.  We aren't 'foodies'.  Everyone has different expectations but we really would have to think very hard to find anything to complain about.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Eclipse in May and enjoyed the food and had some of the best service we have ever had. That’s not to say there haven’t been cutbacks but in my opinion, Celebrity still provides a good product. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwagmyre said:

... but I am getting apprehensive with all the bad reviews. 
 I have noted many of the bad reviews seem to come from people who think that every ship should be just like the newest one in the fleet at any given time. The ship may be cosmetically dated and without all the new specialty restaurants, but that doesn't mean the experience is not good.

..., to the creperie and pastries at Al Bacio, to the stunning art and glass everywhere, it was clearly a cut above. 

Sadly, the Creperie disappeared when the change was made from Bistro on 5 to Sushi on 5, but the rest is much the same.

... long waits at bars and restaurants,

Yes there are waits sometimes, but it's when it's a popular time like when the show gets out, or the before dinner drink, which is exacerbated by no longer having the CC happy hours in the Sky Lounge.

...The one bright spot I keep reading about is the service and the efforts of the crew, for whom I have the utmost admiration and respect. It’s gotta be a very tough racket.

This is absolutely correct. The staff are definitely doing their utmost.

Is it all a bed of roses? By all means no, but certainly not as bad as the negative reviews make it seem. Go in knowing that there will be a few lacklustre experiences, and all will be good.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by RTShaker
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

We are boarding next month and have had some of the same reservations reading some of the complaints.

I choose to ignore negativity as many just need to complain and there are many wonderful experiences being had that are rarely reported on. 

As you can see from the responses here you only hear the good if you actually ask the question and I thank you for doing so. embarkation champagne is always low quality so nothing missed there and I am sure that the food will exceed my expectations, just looking forward to a stress free week and not cooking, cleaning, doing dishes or even fixing my own drinks.

Enjoy your time and please report back.

• Like 4

To be honest if you were to believe everything you read on these board you would swear that Chicken Little was correct and the sky was falling.   I honestly believe there are many on any Social Platform that post anonymously that love to hide behind their anonymity and love attaching others as well as many of the ships. 

I have yet to sail ANY  Celebrity Ship and been disappointed in the ships, the crew and the food.   I'm not a cheerleader and do have some differences with Celebrity Loyalty program but it is nothing that would prevent me from sailing any of their ships.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, JintyGirl said:

For info, welcome glasses of fizz are still available from cafe Al bacio on embarkation day, served on trays from staff or sitting on the counter. 

Good to know, thanks!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

To be honest if you were to believe everything you read on these board you would swear that Chicken Little was correct and the sky was falling.

True story!

@kwagmyre Sure, it's very difficult to read so many negatives. But why be swayed by opinions, perception, or the subjective thoughts of others? You likely don't know most of the people posting, and have no idea how they are approaching many of the things they are posting about. Many post just to complain. And it seems for almost every negative I have read, there are others that have reported otherwise.

It truly sounds as if you have already made up your mind as to what you will find. Sadly, I don't think that will suit you or your family appropriately.

Please go in with an open mind.

We board in four weeks. I look forward to your honest review, once you have experienced the cruise from your own perspective. I am not looking for a cheerleader to come back and report. I just hope that you have the opportunity to truly enjoy your trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kwagmyre said:

So we are boarding Eclipse tomorrow for an Alaskan cruise, this is something we have looked forward to for years , but I am getting apprehensive with all the bad reviews. 

A little background, I have cruised about 10 or so times as an adult, this will be our fourth since covid. The other three post-pandemic were Carnival, NCL and Royal. All were enjoyable experiences, though the post-covid-cutbacks are apparent across the board. 

But I had thought Celebrity was supposed to be different. Certainly it was the one time I sailed Reflection around 10 years ago when it was the flagship. From the champagne on boarding, to the sleek and stylish entertainment, to the excellent food and wine list, to the creperie and pastries at Al Bacio, to the stunning art and glass everywhere, it was clearly a cut above. 

Now I am reading scathing indictments across the board.  Gristly steaks, pedestrian drinks, long waits at bars and restaurants, poor quality food, wine a activities and entertainment, nickel & diming at every turn, and you sure AF can forget about your embarkation champagne, at this point it sounds like you’ll be lucky to get a comfortable mattress if not just three hots and a cot. 

And if that is the way it is, so be it, but it certainly doesn’t make sense to pay these prices for a substandard product. I am extra nervous because I had talked up Celebrity to my wife and her parents who we are sailing with, all of whom have not sailed X before. If this falls flat I am going to be honestly be pretty embarrassed. 

Either way, we’ll still be in Alaska and I am sure we will still have a great time. The one bright spot I keep reading about is the service and the efforts of the crew, for whom I have the utmost admiration and respect. It’s gotta be a very tough racket. 

With all the negatives any good news to share?  Hoping to alleviate some very real anxiety I should not be feeling 24 hours before boarding a luxury cruise ship. 

All I can say is we were on the Eclipse for 33 days starting in mid-April from Sydney to Vancouver by way of Hawaii and had a great time! I also posted to a Live From thread that’s listed below if you expand my signature. Don’t worry, you’re going to have a great time!! 😁

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

All I can say is we were on the Eclipse for 33 days starting in mid-April from Sydney to Vancouver by way of Hawaii and had a great time! I also posted to a Live From thread that’s listed below if you expand my signature. Don’t worry, you’re going to have a great time!! 😁

By the way, @Ken the cruiser, I read your live thread and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing and taking the time to do so!

Edited by BlackLion 213
  • Thanks 1

We had a wonderful time on Solstice (S-class) back in March and are looking forward to boarding Equinox (S-class) in 2 weeks.  Solstice was at capacity and we had no problems getting a drink...even at peak times.  Service was exceptional...food was mostly good to great.  Had an exception with a steak I ordered in Luminae, which was not great (ribeye).  We also had a hiccup with a reservation that was made for us in Tuscan on the same night as a private party and the M'd was quite abrupt as if we should had known there was a private party.  But he later apologized when he realized our reservation was made by the shoreside concierge who wasn't aware of the private event conflict.  At any rate, neither incident came close to making our cruise bad.  But I have no doubt there are reviewers who would have claimed the sky was falling just as @Jim_Iain has mentioned.  I would stop reading the reviews and get prepared to have an awesome cruise!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We had a wonderful time on Solstice (S-class) back in March and are looking forward to boarding Equinox (S-class) in 2 weeks.  Solstice was at capacity and we had no problems getting a drink...even at peak times.  Service was exceptional...food was mostly good to great.  Had an exception with a steak I ordered in Luminae, which was not great (ribeye).  We also had a hiccup with a reservation that was made for us in Tuscan on the same night as a private party and the M'd was quite abrupt as if we should had known there was a private party.  But he later apologized when he realized our reservation was made by the shoreside concierge who wasn't aware of the private event conflict.  At any rate, neither incident came close to making our cruise bad.  But I have no doubt there are reviewers who would have claimed the sky was falling just as @Jim_Iain has mentioned.  I would stop reading the reviews and get prepared to have an awesome cruise!

Would love to meet your party in 2 weeks.  I can’t wait

Kevin

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BlackLion 213 said:

By the way, @Ken the cruiser, I read your live thread and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing and taking the time to do so!

Thanks! If you have any interest in Japan and Korea, I’ll be posting to another one in a few weeks over on the Princess forum when we cruise around Japan for 17-days on the Diamond Princess. 😁

• Like 5

We’ve spent 45 days on EC in the last year with an Alaska cruise coming up in August, also hoping for another cruise after before she heads to SA.  I think attitude is a big part of the cruise experience, go looking for the negatives and you will find them or have a mediocre dinner and let it affect the entire evening 😣 

The crew is the best (as is the crew on most cruises).

Relax, smile and enjoy Alaska.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BlackLion 213 said:

True story!

@kwagmyre Sure, it's very difficult to read so many negatives. But why be swayed by opinions, perception, or the subjective thoughts of others? You likely don't know most of the people posting, and have no idea how they are approaching many of the things they are posting about. Many post just to complain. And it seems for almost every negative I have read, there are others that have reported otherwise.

It truly sounds as if you have already made up your mind as to what you will find. Sadly, I don't think that will suit you or your family appropriately.

Please go in with an open mind.

We board in four weeks. I look forward to your honest review, once you have experienced the cruise from your own perspective. I am not looking for a cheerleader to come back and report. I just hope that you have the opportunity to truly enjoy your trip.

Thank you for this!!

I'm on the Summit to Bermuda in 29 days, and I totally get how easy it is to start freaking out reading all the negativity.

It's my birthday cruise, first time in Aqua, first time on the Summit (second Celebrity cruise - other was Edge in mid-Feb 2020), and first time to Bermuda, so I'm definitely trying to stay as positive as I can.

I'm going to try my best to do a Live From if people aren't sick of them yet to give my perspective on my experience. 🙂 (I think I did one when I was on the Edge...it's been a few years.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lovetocruisee said:

Would love to meet your party in 2 weeks.  I can’t wait

Kevin

Are you on the Equinox July 2nd sailing?  We usually pregame at the martini bar or WCB before dinner.  Always enjoy meeting fellow CCers ☺️.   This is us at the sunset bar.

sunset bar.jpg

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
change pic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'm going to try my best to do a Live From if people aren't sick of them yet to give my perspective on my experience. 🙂 (I think I did one when I was on the Edge...it's been a few years.)

Never get tired of reading them!  Looking forward to traveling along vicariously...

• Thanks 1

We were on the Eclipse in April 2022 for eleven nights in April.  We also were on the Eclipse boarding in March, 2023 for a total of 40 nights in March.  We apparently left the ship the day @Ken the cruiser embarked.  In April 2022 we were the in a Sky Suite and in March 2023 were first in a Celebrity Suite followed by a Sky Suite (couldn't get the same Suite for all four sailings in March).    While we found the color scheme dated we didn't have any issues with any of the three staterooms we were in on the Eclipse.

I a glad that someone address the "lack" of embarkation bubbly.  I addressed that error on a Alaska Eclipse sailing several weeks ago where the posted stated that she was so disappointed that there was no embarkation "Champaign."  She assumed that since there were no waiters just inside the ship with trays of bubbly that it was a "cut back."  On the Eclipse folks will find a tray on the counter of Cafe al Bacio.  There are generally four or so glasses of bubbly.  While the baristas try to keep it filled, if it is empty then just politely ask if embarkation bubbly is available.  Folks have posted this is happening on other ships as well.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you for this!!

I'm on the Summit to Bermuda in 29 days, and I totally get how easy it is to start freaking out reading all the negativity.

It's my birthday cruise, first time in Aqua, first time on the Summit (second Celebrity cruise - other was Edge in mid-Feb 2020), and first time to Bermuda, so I'm definitely trying to stay as positive as I can.

Go in with an open mind, that's all you need.

Everything you have read is nothing more than the opinion of others...

Taken from a Google search...

People's opinions can be right or wrong, depending on how you take them and how it resonates with your values and goals.

Do the live thread! If ppl are sick of them, they can scroll past. There are many, many more who enjoy and benefit from each and every one!

Enjoy! Looking forward to reading your perspective!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been on five cruises since October 2021. Two in Sunset Verandas, one in Aqua, and two in Sky Suites. I’m a foodie in that I won’t eat something I dislike unless I’m quite hungry and have no other options. I’m also choosy about beverages. That said, I like a wide variety of foods. Though I have noticed some food and beverage differences since the start up, I have never had difficulty finding something appealing to eat or drink. My DH feels the same. What hasn’t changed one bit is the fantastic staff and crew, the scrupulously clean ship, and the fact that absolutely no smoking is allowed indoors. We’ve enjoyed our Celebrity cruises enough to book three more this year, followed by four next year😎😎

I would bet that if you embark on your cruise tomorrow expecting a few minor differences, while also expecting to have a great time, you’ll have a great experience. I hope you post a review once you’ve had time to assess things for yourself. Bon voyage🥂

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I a glad that someone address the "lack" of embarkation bubbly.  I addressed that error on a Alaska Eclipse sailing several weeks ago where the posted stated that she was so disappointed that there was no embarkation "Champaign."

I truly cannot believe that there are SO many concerned, upset, disappointed (fill-in whatever term you'd like) about the embarkation bubbly. It's cheap stuff, not even worth the bottle it is served out of. Of course, this is just my opinion...

What are ppl really missing? Go get a real drink from the bar, be it champagne or otherwise. Pay for it if you have to, god forbid!

Enjoy your cruise! If you're going to let that bother you, you're setting yourself up for disaster. I'd prefer you don't step aboard, don't do a review, and don't cruise Celebrity!

• Like 3