Cabin service: Changed to once a day on RCI ?

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Can you provide a link to that published statement?  I'm not doubting you, but it might help someone to have (for peace of mind if nothing else).

Stop using logic.  Cruise ships are apparently some magical place where people expect things to never change. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-cuts-back-on-housekeeping-service/95567

we have run into this situation on 3 different ships since the change.  No problem having sofa beds put up

in the morning and remade at night. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, libbismom said:

The room steward said they monitor how often he entered rooms by his key card.

That (monitoring the number of times a certain card opened that door) is only possible by at the cabin door - very unlikely management would bother doing that, never mind the issue of them not knowing why the steward went in there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-cuts-back-on-housekeeping-service/95567

we have run into this situation on 3 different ships since the change.  No problem having sofa beds put up

I appreciate that, but a) it's an article, not a posted RCI policy and B) it just says "during the daily cleaning... beds made up in the evening for 3rd beds".  Doesn't state there will be an extra service to put up or take down a bed.

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I appreciate that, but a) it's an article, not a posted RCI policy and B) it just says "during the daily cleaning... beds made up in the evening for 3rd beds".  Doesn't state there will be an extra service to put up or take down a bed.

Well as I stated, it hasn’t been a problem, for us. 
we choose morning service, sofa bed put away, while at dinner sofa bed made back into sleeper configuration. 

4 hours ago, pilot said:

Did he request that his room only be serviced once a day?

As a matter of fact yes, he did tell Carl, his wonderful cabin steward not to bother with the night service but Carl always sought him out to be sure he didn’t need anything and to leave a friend.

IMG_1761.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Yes, I had thought of an incentive. Even though the ship has those mandatory service charges, we always tip our cabin, steward, waiter, etc. extra. That is another thing I thought that I saw on a thread somewhere   -  that someone mentioned they had asked to the steward to visit twice a day and he did. However, I couldn’t find that thread ( it could have been the same thread. the once a day cleaning was first mentioned on) so posted this question.  I understand that maybe there isn’t enough staff or something but I’m sure our service charges won’t be adjusted for not getting a twice a day cleaning, it has been a hallmark of cruising for many years. If they will at least do the bed in the evening that’s fine. Make a trip I’ll be sure and ask her cabin steward when we first meet him or her.

Thanks for the input and info!

adding this in an edit. I missed a few of the posts above and only saw the last couple. That’s good to know that Royal officially understands about putting back folding beds. Thanks.

Shoot I remember when they'd clean and pickup my cabin 8-10 times a day. Anytime I'd leave my Cabin he was in there. Our attendant also had lot more work to do back then, all for $1 per person, per day. Ship had 2 Couches each on a different wall that Attendant would have to move together put sheets, blanket, pillows on. Then in am disassemble putting all away until that nite

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That's good to know and really the only thing I care about and I'll only care about it for my next two cruises.  I'll go back to not caring after that.  The next two we have grand kids with us and I don't want the sofa bed out all day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Well as I stated, it hasn’t been a problem, for us. 
we choose morning service, sofa bed put away, while at dinner sofa bed made back into sleeper configuration. 

Did you ask specifically for them to do it or did it happen automatically?

20 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Thought I saw something a few weeks ago about Royal Caribbean having changed regular cabin service by cabin stewards to once a day instead of twice. Then there was something else saying you could request twice.

I just saw my sister at our Father's Day cookout.  She asked me if I'd cruised since the reduction in housekeeping.  She didn't give me any details, but she just shook her head sadly.  She's pretty easy going and easy to please, but she was clearly disappointed.  

11 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The Royal Caribbean published policy on pullmans and sofa beds states that the steward will, in addition to once daily service, setup and take down convertible bedding as requested.  

I'm glad to hear this.  We'll be taking our adult daughter on an upcoming cruise, and I really don't want to pay 3 people's tips (recently increased tips) and have to make /unmake the sofa bed each day.  

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I thought I read that about $5 of the $16 daily gratuity goes for the attendant, so I would suggest some amount greater than that per day ...

Here's what I believe to be the newest tips breakdown -- oops, it shows up at the end of this post.  Do remember that each person in the room's paying this amount.  

7 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Do people clean their bedroom and bathroom at home twice a day?

Bad analogy:

- At home we have multiple bathrooms, which are all significantly larger than ship bathrooms -- so they don't get as dirty. 

- We have a whole stack of clean towels at our disposal and ample towel bars so they can be spread out /can dry properly. 

- We don't eat /leave dishes in our bedroom. 

- Our trash cans are larger and don't fill up in a day.  

6 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

... Stop using logic.  Cruise ships are apparently some magical place where people expect things to never change. 

I don't mind changes, but I do mind increases in price coupled with reduction in service.  

Screenshot 2023-06-24 8.42.47 PM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't mind changes, but I do mind increases in price coupled with reduction in service.  

Screenshot 2023-06-24 8.42.47 PM.png

Edited 37 minutes ago by Mum2Mercury

Here's my solution... don't like what a company is providing you?  Vote with your wallet.  

• Like 1

I’m so surprised at sp many posts! Basically, we are fine as long as the third bed is taken care of in the morning and then run out again in the evening. That was my real concern, at least. Of course everyone has a right to input your thoughts.  Happy, cruising everyone!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Bad analogy:

- At home we have multiple bathrooms, which are all significantly larger than ship bathrooms -- so they don't get as dirty. 

- We have a whole stack of clean towels at our disposal and ample towel bars so they can be spread out /can dry properly. 

- We don't eat /leave dishes in our bedroom. 

- Our trash cans are larger and don't fill up in a day.  

- I have one bathroom that I use and it's not that large ... gets as dirty (or stays as clean) as a cruise ship bathroom.

- You can ask for extra towels.

- I don't eat in my cabin.

- I don't fill up the trash can every day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poocher said:

My brother, first time cruiser, was shocked at having twice a day service (JS) “why do I need them to clean my room twice?  Who needs that?”    I think we are spoiled.

I don’t think the second visit was actually a cleaning. It was more of a turndown service and replacing of the towels. At any rate, I agree with your brother in that we certainly don’t need our room cleaned twice a day but turndown service is always something we enjoyed and was something that made cruising feel more special than just a regular old hotel. 

Before the cruising restart we spent a few vacations in all inclusive resorts in Cancun. In both resorts we received a cleaning in the morning and turndown service in the evening. It was the closest thing we could get to the feel of cruising at the time. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pilot said:

Again, not the point!  It's not a hotel, it's a cruise that has previously provided this service and no longer does.

Do you have to fly to your cruises? It’s not an airline either, but prices have definitely gone up and change’s have definitely happened. This can be said about a lot of things in life today.

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Shoot I remember when they'd clean and pickup my cabin 8-10 times a day. Anytime I'd leave my Cabin he was in there. Our attendant also had lot more work to do back then, all for $1 per person, per day. Ship had 2 Couches each on a different wall that Attendant would have to move together put sheets, blanket, pillows on. Then in am disassemble putting all away until that nite

What in the world were you doing in your cabin to need it cleaned so many times? 😁

Edited by ReneeFLL

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

That's good to know and really the only thing I care about and I'll only care about it for my next two cruises.  I'll go back to not caring after that.  The next two we have grand kids with us and I don't want the sofa bed out all day.

The grands were our situation exactly 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Do you have to fly to your cruises? It’s not an airline either, but prices have definitely gone up and change’s have definitely happened. This can be said about a lot of things in life today.

What in the world were you doing in your cabin to need it cleaned so many times? 😁

Couple showers a day, go to meal go to the Movie Theater he'd have it cleaned and wiped. Banana peal in Trash, gone, and Fruit Basket(that all Cabins had) restocked. Every time you return it's spotless. Wash cloth, towel, hand towel, used once got new one. Bed made, turn down service. Wasn't kidding in/out Cabin 10 times a day, he'd been in it. Interesting back then all Room Attendants and Waiters all Men, no Women doing these jobs

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Just like NCL and carnival.

3 hours ago, pilot said:

Exactly, not like Princess, Celebrity, or Holland America. So far.

That's the cruise line category RCI is in, or are you saying they rate the same as the other three?

On 6/23/2023 at 8:41 PM, mlbcruiser said:

I’m especially interested in what the situation is on Quantum of the Seas. We’ll have a grandchild in our 190 sq ft cabin & don’t want to have to make the sofa bed up each night, nor put ot away each morning. 

I'm sending this from Quantum... our sofa bed stayed out all week, but that was our choice. The steward offered to set it up at night and was always visible in the 6-8pm hour doing other rooms. 

Honestly, we weren't ever in the room during the day long enough to need the sofa. 

15 hours ago, pilot said:

Did he request that his room only be serviced once a day?

I did, I didn't WANT them in my room twice a day, it was a pain. Come in, make the bed and give a wipe down. I don't see a need for twice a day at all. If you have a sofa bed that needs to be put away, do it yourself OR I'm pretty sure you can request they come back and at least do that for you. That's the only reason I would want them in my room twice. I don't need towels replaced twice a day, I don't need my room vacuumed twice a day... if you want twice a day service, get a suite. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Couple showers a day, go to meal go to the Movie Theater he'd have it cleaned and wiped. Banana peal in Trash, gone, and Fruit Basket(that all Cabins had) restocked. Every time you return it's spotless. Wash cloth, towel, hand towel, used once got new one. Bed made, turn down service. Wasn't kidding in/out Cabin 10 times a day, he'd been in it. Interesting back then all Room Attendants and Waiters all Men, no Women doing these jobs

Do you realize how wasteful this was? Why would you NEED new towels and wash rags multiple times a day. That's insane. I hang my towels for at least 2 days- on my last cruise, when they were still coming twice a day, I only had towels replaced 3 times in a 7 day cruise. I can't justify throwing a towel on the floor after one use. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

They are not doing double cabins. Big exaggeration.  Rather than keep raising your tips which was last year, this year cut service.

Hardly new  news. I agree people are spoiled. 

last cruise we were on I asked our room steward how many rooms he was responsible for and he said 25. I know he was not only working in our hallway with many cabins, but across the centrum/elevator area on the other side, because I saw him there too. I felt so bad for him, he looked exhausted. So it’s not exaggerated at least on the ship we were on…..