Delays in Miami this morning!! June 25

hallux

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is the email. Someone from the Carnival thread was kind enough  to post.

In addition to the $20, CCL is refunding guests todays pre-paid alcohol package, internet package, and gratuities. 

image.png.cef753cdb95b572babb6cec90bd2b69f.png

Boy, do I wish Norwegian would do this kind of communication. Especially since the website has been down all day.  I mean I don’t expect them to reimburse for things they couldn’t control but it would be really nice if we better understood what the hell was happening.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, aroundtheriverbend said:

Boy, do I wish Norwegian would do this kind of communication. Especially since the website has been down all day.  I mean I don’t expect them to reimburse for things they couldn’t control but it would be really nice if we better understood what the hell was happening.

Well, if it's any consolation MSC has done a super crappy job with communication too. Maybe worse than NCL. 

CCL has really went above and beyond IMO. Not just the free stuff but letting guests know they expect rooms to be ready at embarkation and where dinner will be served.  And even saying they know the itinerary will need to be adjusted and final word on that will come tomorrow. I'm impressed with Carnival today. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hallux said:

The $25 NCL is giving is more than the other lines gave ($20)

Its an onboard credit, likely nonrefundable. People needed food, water and something to do this afternoon while the unexpected was happening. Agree it is a nice gesture and more than the competition.

• Like 2

Anything they give out has to be recouped through revenue. That usually means higher prices. If the ship had been delayed due to something like an engine problem, and it wasn't using fuel during that time, then they could save money there. But in situations where they are not at fault, and have little to no way of offsetting the cost somehow, I don't have a huge problem with smaller payments to customers. Certainly not fun, but it just kind of goes with the territory doing stuff like this.

43 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Anything they give out has to be recouped through revenue. That usually means higher prices. If the ship had been delayed due to something like an engine problem, and it wasn't using fuel during that time, then they could save money there. But in situations where they are not at fault, and have little to no way of offsetting the cost somehow, I don't have a huge problem with smaller payments to customers. Certainly not fun, but it just kind of goes with the territory doing stuff like this.

Good communication doesn’t cost anything at all and CCL was leaps and bounds ahead of NCL and MSC in terms of keeping customers abreast of unfolding situation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

That's nice for the people embarking. However, the people who were supposed to DISembark hours ago are stuck making alternate arrangements to fly home. Sucks for them...

Which is why people should consider purchasing insurance because you never know when life may decide to throw you a curve ball.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Which is why people should consider purchasing insurance because you never know when life may decide to throw you a curve ball.

It should be automatic, not just a consideration. But humans be human. However, even with insurance, it's still a freaking curve ball nobody wants to see.

• Thanks 1

Roughly 22:55 (10:55 pm EDT) at POM, checking the live cam feed & Marinetraffic: C's Celebration and M's Seascape are still moored at their berth ... just like the Escape. 

Disembarked pax trying to book or fly standby on available, alternate flights to get home might have just limited luck and success - 3 ships ... even if that's just a fraction of the combined 10,000+ ship passengers.  It's not as if airlines got plenty of seats available ... on the other hand, flights that departed earlier today/afternoon probably had a good # of no-shows or cancellations, etc.  What a mess triggered by the small boat collision with the ferry 😒

2 hours ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

It should be automatic, not just a consideration. But humans be human. However, even with insurance, it's still a freaking curve ball nobody wants to see.

Same day flight rebooking sate no charge for many. Insurance would not do me any good.

During a recent shutdown of Florida airports due to weather, trip insurance didn’t pay for all of our meal, taxi, and hotel expenses for a day delay in travel 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hallux said:

$20 for lunch, in Miami?  I guess they're getting food from vendor carts on the street?

Lol about as bad when AA canceled our flight in Costa Rica last year and gave a $12 food voucher

But at least it was something for a situation they had no control over. 
$12 doesn’t go far in an airport but $20 on ground probably can get you a burger and soda 

Edited by njkate

I have a friend that is on the NCL care team. They were all called into the port. One arrived with100 pizzas and more were ordered. They had cookies ,chips snacks and waters available. Once the ship docked, anyone that needed help with air arrangements was given assistance

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

I have a friend that is on the NCL care team. They were all called into the port. One arrived with100 pizzas and more were ordered. They had cookies ,chips snacks and waters available. Once the ship docked, anyone that needed help with air arrangements was given assistance

Lemonade out of lemons.  Sad situation that is tough to reconcile.  One of those “stuff happens” days.  Sadly, there was loss of life involved.

But, she’s sailing….

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/details/9677076

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FloridaGram said:

We have sailed Carnival 25 times and NCL a few times. The last time was In Feb this year and it will probably be the last time we sail NCL.  The food was OK but it was the most I paid for a cruise per day (also cruise RCCL) and it was not worth it. Maybe loyalists to NCL don't realize they don't dock at the prime docks but that was an issue for me every time. We were docked as far away as we could be from every port. (More ports because a 11 day cruise) 

The entertainment of the Mardi Gras and Celebration of Carnival are definitely a step up. I do not think you will be disappointed. We are not partiers, do not get the drink package or go to nightclubs or deck parties but we still find plenty to do on CCL and like things they have that other cruise lines don't.

Very confused why a review of your NCL trip was needed in this thread?  Don't see how the quality of the food and entertainment of NCL is appropriate in a thread about delays because someone died in the ship channel. 

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Very confused why a review of your NCL trip was needed in this thread?  Don't see how the quality of the food and entertainment of NCL is appropriate in a thread about delays because someone died in the ship channel. 

Lost me, too.  I think they wandered into the wrong thread by mistake.

Looks like they changed it up and went to GSC today instead of Puerto Plata tomorrow and GSC on day 7.  I am guessing a sea day tomorrow and head to St Thomas and skip DR entirely?  Do they still hit GSC up again on the way back or just add another sea day?

2 hours ago, knitlady037 said:

Also read they got a 25.00 pp OBC.  So guess carnival wasn’t the hero of the day after all.

• Haha 4

On one hand, it's a freak occurrence and it was out of the hands of the cruise companies to dock. Flights and excursions were going to be missed no matter what. On the other hand, it's well within the cruise companies' power to try and do as much as possible to make it as right as they can.  They can't fix the transportation issues for the disembarkers, in many cases, but they can dish out discounts to try and assist with the added costs. $20 or $25 is a joke. I'd expect that if a popular show was cancelled or a port time was cut short. 

15 minutes ago, quagmire0 said:

On one hand, it's a freak occurrence and it was out of the hands of the cruise companies to dock. Flights and excursions were going to be missed no matter what. On the other hand, it's well within the cruise companies' power to try and do as much as possible to make it as right as they can.  They can't fix the transportation issues for the disembarkers, in many cases, but they can dish out discounts to try and assist with the added costs. $20 or $25 is a joke. I'd expect that if a popular show was cancelled or a port time was cut short.

With the exception of their poor communications, I think they did as much as possible to deal with the situation.  They did not create the problem, yet they worked hard trying to mitigate the myriad of issues that were created.  The $25 per person was only meant to help ease the cost of buying lunch and nothing else.  Why should they offer more when this wasn’t their fault.  

• Like 5