The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 1st, 2023

richwmn

We've had some wonderful and varied pictures of Halifax and the surround area posted today.  I just noticed that no one who had previously posted pictures of the Fairview Lawn Cemetery and the graves of the passengers from the Titanic had posted them today.  Our visit there was very moving, even with a tour a few rows away from us.

DSC00519.thumb.JPG.4ec086b7d3219e43a10cb31b23da20bc.JPG

DSC00520.thumb.JPG.012c77afebf95114a35668354df9ccf8.JPG

This is the grave of Joseph Dawson, who was a passenger on the Titanic.  According to Google, after the movie Titanic was released in 1998, girls flock to the cemetery and leave flowers, coins and trinkets.

DSC00521.thumb.JPG.02ee44e8d2800e13350fb8e95ae4abfc.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon everyone!

Busy thread today and this week, of course, with so much goings on.

First I would to express my condolences to @57redbird on the loss of her cousin. Prayers for you and his family. That appeared to be a tough situation, very sad.

Karen @luvteaching, I hope your sweet memories of your DH bring you some smiles and comfort inbetween the tears.

@cruising sister, prayers for sweet baby girl Murphy, her parents and her family. 

We have also had a child born into our family with a considerable congenital heart defect; she is now 43 and a tenured Music Education teacher. Another success story to add; there is much hope. The surgeons work miracles on those littles ones, which always amaze me.

Happy Canada Day to all of our dear Canadianfriends here on the Daily!  My favorite cruise port is Vancouver, BC. MN is bordered on Canada so we have lots of inter-actions with the wonderful people of Canada. Enjoy and celebrate the day. 

I have been to Halifax twice; my last visit was last Fall on the NS. I met several of the Dailyites at the M&G and on a SE. All wonderfully nice people, as you all know! 😊 The pictures are all excellent, thanks to the Halifax picture posters.

International Joke Day is certainly celebrated well today here; I had several lough out loud moments today, reading the memes! This is a common occurence for me actually.

@cat shepard I am wondering how early I should come over to use your pool! LOL.😜

We are back in the oven today; 90s through Tues/Wed with high hunidity. Our air quality is still not as good as it should be. We need rain too, we are in a drought and sadly may only have a little bit later next week.

My thanks to all of the pillar contributors here, who selflessly support this thread and for their never ending work for us; you are the best . My thanks to everyone else who contributes anything else. It is all appreciated by me.

Please take care and have a good rest of the weekend.

Caron

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, we did go to Truro to see the Tidal Bore.  With the distances and timing of the tide change, it was the best option.  In 2004, we had planned to rent a car and take our tablemates with us to a different location to see the tides.  The day we were in Halifax, it was a miserable day which became a sea day.  We were in Saint John twice in 2004 on the same cruise, and we made a point to see the Reversing Falls on both days.  My pictures don't do them justice.  We still haven't found another cruise at the time we want to cruise that will take us back to Saint John.

I’m a good guesser I guess 😉 

A little story - Back when I lived in Truro, a friend came to visit so of course, we said he had to see the Tidal Bore.  Of course, we timed it wrong as we were busy and it was low tide.

So it was just a little stream basically that reversed.  There were a number of people quite obviously enthralled by the phenomena and my friend looks at me and yells out “Is that it?”  “Is that all there is?”  

I got him skedaddled out of there fast.   

I’m glad you got to Reversing Falls.  I hope they put on a good show for you.  It’s like the Tidal Bore a bit - depending on the water level and tides it can be amazing or interesting.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. We still have smoky skies but it is improving  slowly.We have been to Halifax twice and enjoyed the city.The last time we went to the Citadel.Thanks for the pictures Lenda and Sandi.

I enjoy Greek salads but usually get them with diner take out orders.Chicken wings are ok but I wouldn't  go out of the way for them.

We are waiting for Tana's  friend to arrive and then will leave for the hospital to see DH.I am hoping that he is feeling better  today.Hospital stays are not easy for anyone.

Take care everyone

I hope Lou is feeling a lot better today Terry and Tana has a nice day with her friend.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

White rabbit white rabbit. 
🍁 Happy Canada Day 🇨🇦

Thanks @grapau27 for your input on P&O and no classical music. Too bad. 

Condolences to @57redbird on your cousin’s passed. I’m the youngest of my generation of what used to be a big bunch of cousins and lave lost 3 between Oct and April, likely many more to come… each one is a part of my life. Hugs to you!  

@marshhawk Annie I’m glad you’re getting some relief. Give it time, a holiday break should help!  

@Denise T I feel for you with the constant irritation of unreasonable neighbors. Lifting up hope for a path toward relief. 

@luvteaching Thanks for posting an update. I’d love to read the obituary you wrote but I understand fully if a link to it is not something you want to post here. Just know that we honor you and Phil just as we know you!  Holding you in my heart. 

I only slept a couple of hours, brain too full with the granddaughter and DH here helping. We got some stuff accomplished yesterday!  Today more to do then they’re heading out Sunday morning. I’ll sleep then I guess. Not too concerned.  It’s great having them here. We spent some time together last night looking at our long term plans to move closer to them, and end of life plans, going over trusts and finances.  It’s a lot.   I’m content here but being in a more supportive community setting long term, and being only a hour or so from them will feel very good!  But one day at a time… and now it’s time to get coffee and breakfast going.  (I sent out all the usual and special blessings hours ago!  😉.)  M—

Hi Maureen.

A good friend who is a reliable and experienced P&O cruiser has just got off the adult only P&O Aurora and she said there is often a classical pianist in the Playhouse on deck 8.

Aurora is 76,000 tons and  carries 1875 guests and very traditional like Oriana was.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10

48 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m a good guesser I guess 😉 

A little story - Back when I lived in Truro, a friend came to visit so of course, we said he had to see the Tidal Bore.  Of course, we timed it wrong as we were busy and it was low tide.

So it was just a little stream basically that reversed.  There were a number of people quite obviously enthralled by the phenomena and my friend looks at me and yells out “Is that it?”  “Is that all there is?”  

I got him skedaddled out of there fast.   

I’m glad you got to Reversing Falls.  I hope they put on a good show for you.  It’s like the Tidal Bore a bit - depending on the water level and tides it can be amazing or interesting.

Jacqui, as I said, we saw the Reversing Falls twice, and IIRC, once the tide was going out and once it was going in.  It took two tries to see the bore tide.  The time before we aw it, it was basically a small stream with a lot of yucky mud.  The next time, we checked the tide tables first.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We've had some wonderful and varied pictures of Halifax and the surround area posted today.  I just noticed that no one who had previously posted pictures of the Fairview Lawn Cemetery and the graves of the passengers from the Titanic had posted them today.  Our visit there was very moving, even with a tour a few rows away from us.

This is the grave of Joseph Dawson, who was a passenger on the Titanic.  According to Google, after the movie Titanic was released in 1998, girls flock to the cemetery and leave flowers, coins and trinkets.

Lenda

Thank you.  I know I've been to the cemetery more than once (the first time with my Halifax relative) and most recently on Blount's Grande Caribe in 2010 but had difficulty finding the photos.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you.  I know I've been to the cemetery more than once (the first time with my Halifax relative) and most recently on Blount's Grande Caribe in 2010 but had difficulty finding the photos.

Roy

No problem, Roy.  I saw your pictures on Sandi's @StLouisCruisers link for the other time when Halifax was the port of the day.  When you didn't repost them, I decided to hunt for mine, as that is an important part of Halifax history.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, as I said, we saw the Reversing Falls twice, and IIRC, once the tide was going out and once it was going in.  It took two tries to see the bore tide.  The time before we aw it, it was basically a small stream with a lot of yucky mud.  The next time, we checked the tide tables first.

Lenda

Yes I saw that you were here twice and you were wise to check tides.  I was new here - it was a long time ago and should have learned to read tides.  I hope I didn’t offend somehow?  That wasn’t my intent at all 😞 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes I saw that you were here twice and you were wise to check tides.  I was new here - it was a long time ago and should have learned to read tides.  I hope I didn’t offend somehow?  That wasn’t my intent at all 😞 

Jacqui, there was no offense taken.  As I said, we didn't check the tide tables the first time we went to Truro, but it worked out since we saw it at very low tide.  After living in Corpus Christi, TX, for five years, we should have remembered to check the tides.  We went back to the Reversing Falls the second time because we checked and learned they were going the other way.  I think DH has video of both times that show the difference better than my pictures.

I still want to get back to Saint John some day.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Very late in the game, but -- Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

DS & I had a nice day of memories -- going for a ride to visit some of the places my late DH used to love. A good chance for us to talk and share. It's been 2 years & 1 month, but I know DH was with us!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Very late in the game, but -- Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

DS & I had a nice day of memories -- going for a ride to visit some of the places my late DH used to love. A good chance for us to talk and share. It's been 2 years & 1 month, but I know DH was with us!

He always is, Edi.  ♥️ 

My numbers are reversed from yours 1 year & 2 months.

I am so glad you have someone with you to share those memories ♥️ 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good cloudy and still smoky evening. AQI is down to 109.

Happy Canada 🇨🇦 Day.

I’ve been to Halifax twice. I really liked Peggy’s Cove and the Titanic cemetery.

I’m asking for prayers for a friend from church, B has some possibly serious medical problems and just wants privacy for now.

I’m not that much a fan of wings , but I do like the oven roasted and seasoned wings at Anthony’ s Coal Fired Pizza. This is a chain that started in Florida. The original wings are served with sautéed onions and focaccia bread.

Blessed and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 14

Although I seem to have written a lot earlier, I wasn't fully awake. That was a good thing: I slept more than eight hours last night, the first time in two weeks that I slept more than four.

I meant also to write about the Halifax explosion of 1917, when the French ship Mont-Blanc and the Norwegian ship Imo collided in the Halifax harbor. The Mont-Blanc, which was loaded with explosives for France, caught fire and then exploded, resulting in the largest human-made explosion ever recorded before the atomic bombs in World War II. At least 1,742 people were killed and more than 9,000 were injured. The ship's anchor landed two miles away and a gun barrel traveled three miles.

The first rescue train arrived relatively soon from Truro, with more following from other towns in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. In Boston, people contributed $100,000 within an hour after the mayor and the governor made a plea, and Boston sent a relief train with 30 doctors, 70 nurses, and a fully-equipped 500-bed hospital. Railroads cleared their tracks for it, but it, and other trains, were impeded by a blizzard. Nevertheless, the loss of life would have been much greater without it, and it led to the development of pediatric surgery as a medical specialty after a Boston surgeon was struck by how much less they could do for injured children.

The following year, Halifax sent a Christmas tree for Boston Common. The gift was resumed in 1971 as a promotion by the Lunenburg Christmas-tree growers association, and is now presented officially by Nova Scotia.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

7 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Good afternoon everyone!

Busy thread today and this week, of course, with so much goings on.

First I would to express my condolences to @57redbird on the loss of her cousin. Prayers for you and his family. That appeared to be a tough situation, very sad.

Karen @luvteaching, I hope your sweet memories of your DH bring you some smiles and comfort inbetween the tears.

@cruising sister, prayers for sweet baby girl Murphy, her parents and her family. 

We have also had a child born into our family with a considerable congenital heart defect; she is now 43 and a tenured Music Education teacher. Another success story to add; there is much hope. The surgeons work miracles on those littles ones, which always amaze me.

Happy Canada Day to all of our dear Canadianfriends here on the Daily!  My favorite cruise port is Vancouver, BC. MN is bordered on Canada so we have lots of inter-actions with the wonderful people of Canada. Enjoy and celebrate the day. 

I have been to Halifax twice; my last visit was last Fall on the NS. I met several of the Dailyites at the M&G and on a SE. All wonderfully nice people, as you all know! 😊 The pictures are all excellent, thanks to the Halifax picture posters.

International Joke Day is certainly celebrated well today here; I had several lough out loud moments today, reading the memes! This is a common occurence for me actually.

@cat shepard I am wondering how early I should come over to use your pool! LOL.😜

We are back in the oven today; 90s through Tues/Wed with high hunidity. Our air quality is still not as good as it should be. We need rain too, we are in a drought and sadly may only have a little bit later next week.

My thanks to all of the pillar contributors here, who selflessly support this thread and for their never ending work for us; you are the best . My thanks to everyone else who contributes anything else. It is all appreciated by me.

Please take care and have a good rest of the weekend.

Caron

My pool is just now cooling down to 89. So any time is great!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the HAL Fleet locations and the Daily.

Thanks for all the photos of Halifax, another port we have not visited.

HAPPY CANADA  Day to all Canadian Cruise Critic members.

This morning when we looked outdoors, everywhere covered  with snow.   During the morning it gradually cleared, but have had another heavy shower this afternoon.  The temperature is 3 C. 

Now have another heavy snow shower.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Lenda, thank you for your pictures!  My DM and I went on an excursion to the cemetery and museum back in 2009 and Craig had the camera so I don’t have pictures. The graves of the infants were the most heartbreaking for me. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

The following pictures are from my post August 19, 2021. Thank you Sandi for posting the link!  Even though some are the same as previously posted, some are just too good not to share. 

DM and I were on the Maasdam September 2005 and I don't know where those pictures are.  Then the three of us were on the Eurodam Aug/Sept 2009.  Mom and I went on a tour together to the Titanic museum and cemetery and Craig  went to Peggy's Cove and he had the camera thatday.

IMG_0877.thumb.JPG.c6ac5a84d5437bcb5ee003225d4a27b3.JPG

IMG_0879.thumb.JPG.008a7956fb6b1f60ebca0202b736bfd8.JPG

IMG_0895.thumb.JPG.2f339649c0026c3f607ef63a3f6d9d57.JPG

IMG_0902.thumb.JPG.9063943d35953b2a000cfa4504edf190.JPG

IMG_0872.thumb.JPG.b2b1652f83aa37338270fc61838bc94f.JPG

IMG_0903.thumb.JPG.87e4322fbb066e2cd85e046435198b04.JPG

IMG_0904.thumb.JPG.d1e9b0e74bf8170d0f88ebe88149fadd.JPG

IMG_0905.thumb.JPG.df2f0279716d52452ae9f5712c2d259f.JPG

This was from Venice to honor John Cabot who was born in Italy as Giovanni Caboto.  Translation:

The Veneto region
To the province of
Nova Scotia
on the occasion of the
fifth centenary of the
arrival in Canada of
Giovani Caboto
Halifax 23 August 1997

IMG_0919.thumb.JPG.b4ea353b12608a46ddb9ed1be6d2f145.JPG

And our towel animal that night:

IMG_0925.thumb.JPG.bb682e5a5307ea6c74734c43aa28d444.JPG

• Like 12