Celebrity Summit Bermuda MDR Dress Code for Teens/Kids

SnorkelFool

Just now, neverlaysup said:

If you read the dress code, you should already have the answer! Why ask the question?

I'm not asking what is the dress code. I'm asking what is actually currently happening. Two different things.

3 minutes ago, SnorkelFool said:

I'm not asking what is the dress code. I'm asking what is actually currently happening. Two different things.

Why not just follow the existing policy versus saying that I heard you allowed kids in nice shorts last week so how come my kids can't wear them on this cruise. Is it really that difficult to dress appropriately for dinner? There are nights when we are lazy or tired and don't feel like getting dressed and when that happens...it's Oceanview Cafe night for us.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

While there is no separate dress code for children and teens, I have seen babies in shorts, in strollers and booster seats in the main dining room.  Older children and teenagers, no.  They followed the dress code when accompanying their parents to dinner.

I see that the dress code police will come out in force no matter what. Amazing how easily offended people get because of the possibility of a kid wearing nice shorts to dinner. But, jeans...they are ok. 🙄

Thank you to those that tried to be helpful. 

• Like 2

Just now, SnorkelFool said:

I see that the dress code police will come out in force no matter what. Amazing how easily offended people get because of the possibility of a kid wearing nice shorts to dinner. But, jeans...they are ok. 🙄

Per Celebrity's dress code, yes. Jeans that are not all ripped and dirty are allowed.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SnorkelFool said:

The truth is that shorts are not allowed, jeans are.  We can’t really be more helpful than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What I find funny is that anytime anyone asks about formal night, several people will state that no one dresses up, people wear shorts and t-shirts, and you shouldn't bother packing nice clothes. I can sort of see how people are confused. I just discovered that RCL still says that formal wear is required in the MDRs for formal nights on their website. However, it seems in practice that is not what happens anymore. So, again, the stated policy for RCL isn't what happens in practice; could be true for X if you are a first timer or haven't been in a while. People keep complaining that X is turning into RCL. Yes, we do dress up for dinner every night and especially nice for "evening chic" nights.

• Like 2

I was on Summit June 4-11.  I only ate in the MDR three nights due to solos being treated so poorly (hour wait for a table, share or not) but I don’t recall seeing anyone in shorts, adult, youth, child.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SnorkelFool said:

So let your teens wear jeans.

• Like 1

We were on the Summit to Bermuda the week of June 11th.  We ate in Blu and on multiple nights adults were allowed into the dining room for dinner wearing shorts.  My husband asked the maitre'd about it and was told  they were not encouraged to enforce the policy because people have "health issues".  Riiiiight...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on Royal in November for a cruise and there were plenty of people (kids included) wearing shorts in the dining room on formal night.  Not Celebrity of course but almost the same.  I don’t think they’ll stop anyone nowadays for going against the dress code and really is it anyone else’s business how others choose to dress?  Focus on your own family and let the restaurant staff deal with it. You can also always call Celebrity to see what they say about kids and the dress code. We personally try to follow the dress code because it’s part of what makes cruising special.  Even to this day my 17 year old son is “required” by us to wear pants and a button down shirt in the dining room when he joins us.  He just changes into his shorts after dinner to hang out with the other teens. He’s also been taught to put his napkin on his lap and to use his utensils in the proper order. He’s been doing this since he was 2 years old on all his 14 plus cruises.  It’s a cruise.  It’s special.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Royal in November... plenty of people...wearing shorts in the dining room on formal night.  Not Celebrity of course but almost the same....

Not by a long shot.  Royal dress code does not "ban" shorts.  Or caps.

15 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Not by a long shot.  Royal dress code does not "ban" shorts.  Or caps.

I disagree having sailed both lines recently (about the similarities).  There’s very little separating the two.  One thing is the once a day cabin service on Royal.  Other than that, I’ve found the clientele and climate to be very similar.  It’s been since 2019 since I’ve sailed Celebrity and I’m sure it’s even closer in experience to Royal now since all the cost cutting has occurred.  Honestly, I choose my cruises by price and this summer Celebrity was the least expensive.  My first choice was the new Carnival Ship out of NYC but the price was nearly double for a veranda stateroom.

4 hours ago, horseymike said:

Only Bermuda Shorts 🤣

LOL, I have tried that with suit jacket and tie...

Maître d' smiled and asked that I change... of course I obliged...

bon appetit and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Bo1953 said:

On a Bermuda cruise, with the proper socks, it really should be allowed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That just reminded me:  Many years ago, back when there were formal nights and Michael’s Club was an Elites-only venue from 5-7, I was on a cruise to Bermuda. Two men bought the complete Bermuda formalwear, including the long socks, while we were in Bermuda. After much thought by the Captain’s Club host, with many apologies and explanations, they were not allowed into Michael’s club.  They graciously moved on and had their pre-dinner cocktails elsewhere. The next night, I found out that they and their wives had been served dinner on their verandas, so no need to worry about getting into the MDR in Bermuda shorts.

50 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I disagree having sailed both lines recently

2019 is recently on Celebrity?  We've been on 6 times in the last 24 months.  As for Royal, just off Allure OTS 3 weeks ago.  That's recent.  Take some time and actually read their "codes" in the FAQ.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/onboard-dress-code

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

So I take it you took off your suit jacket and tie and put on your tie dye Grateful Dead t-shirt?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Andrewgary said:

So I take it you took off your suit jacket and tie and put on your tie dye Grateful Dead t-shirt?

LOL, were I to do that, then I would have missed dinner that night with friends... and a few not too happy were I to punt it that way...

That could have been an option for sure, in OVC... LOL even without changing...