The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 5th, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Apple Turnover Day, National Bikini Day, and Work-a-holics Day

I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegan Chili
Drink of the Day - Mai Tai
Wine of the Day - d'Angelo Aglianico del Vulture 2019
Destination of the Day - Vigo, Spain Galicia

Today in History:
1687 Isaac Newton's great work Principia published by Royal Society in England, outlining his laws of motion and universal gravitation

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Riga, Latvia 0900(+1

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2100

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Andalsnes, Norway 1000-2000

Volendam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 1400-1800

Zaandam

Sydney, Nova Scotia 0800-1700

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Akureyri, Iceland eta 06 Jul

0705Alaska.thumb.png.5d10cc6f461874c80d03801c80c270f0.png

0705Atlantic.thumb.png.a0a8dfa239620935ebe7b7e62770a9fa.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 1

Good morning from a sunny 18°C North East England.

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports.

Work/life balance is important and workaholics might regret their work actions if it affects their family life.

Apple turnovers are nice.

Bikinis for women sunbathing is fine.

Today's quote is laughable.

We have been to Vigo several times on cruises.

There is a nice promenade and if you walk up a short hill there is a long shopping street adjacent to the promenade with a good selection of shops.

Photos were from March 8th 2022 in Vigo on P&O Iona. 

Prayers 🙏 offered to any friend who wants them.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day.

IMG_20220308_105731.jpg

IMG_20220308_080000.jpg

IMG_20220308_143133.jpg

IMG_20220308_075949.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

We've got a heat warning.  With the humidex, the temperature could be 36°C (97°F).  It will be a "go slow" day for us.

I'll pass on the days - no apple turnovers or bikinis or workaholics in our house.

I've heard that quote many times.

It's too hot for chili.  Not a big fan of mai tais.  Hope the wine isn't expensive.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Happy Hump Day!

• Like 33

Good morning friends!  Today is partly cloudy and 72, but as usual we have a 40% chance of thunderstorms and a high of 85.  We could see hail and gusty winds with the storms.  I certainly hope not!  Thank you Rich @richwmn for posting our Daily and Fleet Report this morning.  Oh those Wilde quotes!  And this was a very good day for Isaac Newton back in 1687.  

I hope the work-a-holics can stop for a while and enjoy an apple turnover.  Maybe put on a bikini and spend some time at the beach.  I will do none of those things today!👙  Some folks will enjoy a vegan chili but I prefer mine with meat in it.  A mai tai sounds interesting but I have no idea what the wine is.🍷

Prayers said while walking the treadmill already.  So many to pray for!  Hoping our prayers help and everyone begins to improve.  🙏  Special thoughts for those who've recently lost a loved one.  Hoping all the pets are feeling better this morning.  Hurray for those on the Celebration list.  Have a great day no matter what you do, and enjoy the cruises!🚢🥂

Our port of the day is Vigo, Spain which sounds quite nice.  I haven't been before.  We had that port on Feb. 14, 2022 ❤️ and Nov. 25, 2022.  Here are the links for everyone who wants to obtain their already posted photos.

Have a wonderful day!

• Like 33

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  I like apple turnovers.  Since the weather has decided to clear up, we’ll have a nice summer day, perfect for wearing your bikini to the beach.  Work is winding down for me with less than a month before I retire, my workaholic days are behind me.  Funny quote from Mr. Wilde.  The meal suggestion sounds nice as does a Mai Tai.  I have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and to those that need them.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 33

Good morning.  We are getting more badly needed rain and more due through today so therefore we are heading to town.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.  Apple turnovers are delicious.  Have worn a bikini in the day. Fun quote by Oscar Wilde.  Pass on the vegan chili, love Mai Tais on the rare occasion and I will wait for Ann to translate our wine for us.  Thanks for the port photos Graham and look forward to more.  Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.   Have a wonderful day! Nancy 

Harassed Eagle from our fishing trip a couple of days ago. 

bn1VojXFR3Ss02WS5QPCQA.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Vegan chili and a mai tai sound delicious. 

Working from the office today. It will be a hot one, almost 90 today. 

Thinking of everyone today and celebrating with those who are celebrating. 

Hava a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 29

Mai Tai cocktail:

Victor “Trader Vic” Bergeron is often credited with inventing the drink at his Trader Vic’s bar in the 1940s, though it’s likely that Donn Beach laid the groundwork for the famous recipe during the 1930s at his Don the Beachcomber bar. The original Trader Vic’s recipe featured Jamaica’s J. Wray & Nephew rum. Once Bergeron ran out of his supply, he moved to blending rums in an attempt to create a similar flavor profile.

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces white rum
3/4 ounce orange curaçao
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce orgeat
1/2 ounce dark rum
Steps
Add the white rum, curaçao, lime juice and orgeat into a shaker with crushed ice and shake lightly (about 3 seconds).
Pour into a double rocks glass.
Float the dark rum over the top.
Garnish with a lime wheel and mint sprig.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 7.04.16 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12

Just now, summer slope said:

We are taking our beloved Bailey to the vet this morning to walk over the rainbow bridge.  I'm a mess but it is best for her.  Thank you all for your support.

I feel sad for you.

It is hard but sometimes we have to do what is best for our beloved pets.

Graham x

• Like 19

Good  morning.It is quite humid early this morning. The fireworks  went on until 2 am here.We are hoping to bring DH home today and I am glad no thunderstorms  are predicted  this morning.

Vegan chili is nade here a lot but I will have to find something milder for DH to eat ,at least for a few weeks.We have not been to the port but would like an apple turnover if someone  else made it.

I better get going.

Take care everyone

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info for all the contributors.

Lets look at todays days.

Work a holic Day. For those out there that are retired; do y’all find you work harder in retirement than when you had a regular job. The only difference now is when I take a nap at 1 pm everyday I will not get fired.

Apple Turnover Day. Is there a maximum number you can turn over an apple turnover while eating it?

Bikini Day.  All together now, “it was an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini”.

IMG_1091.thumb.png.7f5f4cd6487c249fb21e1ae299b8a886.png

• Like 13
  • Haha 10

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  I think I’ll pass on them all.  I worked hard but wasn’t a work-a-holic.  I do think I am a cruise-plan-a-holic, though 😂 

IMG_3892.jpeg.1e7cdd3dc13b585678ef8a33b7a5c6b5.jpeg

Always get a kick out of that Wilde quote - and it applies to a lot of people 😉. Vigo is a lovely port to go to.  It’s really worthy of longer than one day.  It has it’s own history worthy of checking out and just a short ride away is fabulous Santiago de Compostela.  I wish this port was on more itineraries more often. 

Dentist appointment this morning so I’ll pick up some pill pockets and see if Ivan likes them.  I’m getting his pills down right now sandwiching them in between 2 pieces of steak but I can’t do that forever.  If I can make it a happy occasion, I will.

IMG_3896.jpeg.ef15cf7c6f9e30f1145228c656fd863c.jpeg

Very impressed with my vet.  I was contacted within a 1/2 hour of the opening after the long weekend when they saw Ivan went to the emergency vet.  They gave me some help with the meds and want to be kept in the loop until they are here on Friday. 

Well, the rain has pretty much decimated the peonies.  One was late coming out so it stands a chance - but we have more rain today.

IMG_1745.thumb.jpeg.d45fc3c5afb23a78abc0aeef73a36ee6.jpeg

IMG_1743.thumb.jpeg.c0e0accbd624901b4f722bd1fada17b2.jpeg

7 minutes ago, summer slope said:

We are taking our beloved Bailey to the vet this morning to walk over the rainbow bridge.  I'm a mess but it is best for her.  Thank you all for your support.

I am so sorry to hear this.  You have to do the right thing for Bailey but it’s so painful to do.  😔 Bless you for doing what’s best for her as much as it hurts 💔 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list.  Sad that there are so many losses and health issues. Cheers to those celebrating.

IMG_3909.jpeg.3969b950b371a36145e3d9b5fa4f9ca1.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Today’s Care list:

The passing of 57redbird’s cousin Chris with glioblastoma 6/30

The passing of cruising sister’s Aunt 7/3

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Smitty34877’s DH recovering from surgery

Cruising sister’s newborn great niece Murphy with transposition of the great vessels, undergoing surgery 7/6

Vict0riann’s Pat with urinary and kidney infections

Summer slope with a health issue

Lady Hudson’s DH needing PT for leg strength

Ill Dailyite pets – Kazu’s Ivan

summer slope’s Bailey going over the Rainbow bridge

Canadian wildfires, unhealthy air quality for many 

Tornado and storm victims; dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Marshhawk with elbow inflammation, upcoming lung MRI 

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck (catmando) with a cancer recurrence

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Loveandpeas!

Seasick sailor extending her cruise and getting a fully accessible cabin

Kochleffel’s new fur babies

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Oceansaway17 (Liberty of the Seas to July 8), Loveandpeas (Volendam to July 12, celebrating 14th anniversary), and Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

43 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Indeed a hard day. Condolences for your loss.

• Like 19

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! Lovely morning introducing another scorcher. Yesterday’s breezes helped a bit, but not enough. Thank goodness for AC.  Our 4th of July celebration had to move inside from the pool deck, it was just too much. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. @smitty34877, Terry, I am so happy to read that Lou was doing better! 

I need to get out early to do some dead-heading, then chores, Bindi walks (short ones), HIIT and pool time just might keep me out of trouble. 

IMG_1459.jpeg.660887864a5e830dbc4793d9ff454cc4.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg.98f0020609d105fb99951a2991feea18.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

d'Angelo Aglianico del Vulture 2019

I just recently discovered this lovely, red Italian wine. Different vintner, but based on the description just as nice. And it is easy to find in sores & online with prices starting at $16.99.

Winemaker Notes

#49 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

The wine is a fairly intense ruby red, turns to garnet as it ages. Aromas of berries, typical of this vine variety. Dry, robust and fairly tannic. Over the years, it becomes more mellow and harmonious.

WS91 Wine Spectator

Compact and fresh, this medium- to full-bodied red reveals macerated black raspberry fruit accented by notes of dried sage, graphite, fig cake and mineral, with firm, dusty tannins. Let this open in the glass or decant ahead of time.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Dixie, I am so sorry. 💔 Bless you for giving her the most important gift. Hugs. 

• Like 22

Good sunny and hot morning. It’s another day in the 90’s and again tomorrow.

The fireworks went on till after midnight, I hope it is over for another year.

@summer slope  hugs and love being sent to your family today. Bailey will be met with many friends to play with in heaven 💔🐾🙏

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 26