The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 6th, 2023

richwmn

Today is International Kissing Day, National Fried Chicken Day, and Umbrella Cover Day

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -- Marcus Aurelius.

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Shrimp Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes
Drink of the Day - Devil In The Morning
Wine of the Day - Felton Road Chardonnay Central Otago Block 6 2021
Destination of the Day - Valencia, Spain

Today in History:
1348 Papal bull of Pope Clement VI issued during the Black Death stating Jews not to blame and urging their protection

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Skagway, AK eta 7/7

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Helsinki, Finland eta 07 Jul

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 0800-1800

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Trieste, Italy eta 7-07

Rotterdam

Trondheim, Norway 0800-1700

Volendam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska eta 07 Jul

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia 0830-1600

Zuiderdam

Akureyri, Iceland 0900-1700

0706Alaska.thumb.png.6f219202ace13e736edc26fea9cd1935.png

0706Atlantic.thumb.png.15b6c4d26f5414b8c76175d026c55357.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 16

Devil in the Morning cocktail:

Ingredients
Splash of Grenadine
1 part JDK & Sons™ O3 Premium Orange Liqueur
2 parts Jim Beam® Devil's Cut®
3 parts Orange Juice
Garnish with Maraschino Cherries
Garnish with Orange Wheel

Instructions
Build in order over ice in a tall glass, letting the grenadine slowly settle through the cocktail. Garnish with a half-moon orange slice and/or a cherry.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 6.09.53 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's raining here and still very hot.  I hope there's a break in the rain so Bertie and I can have a nice walk.

An interesting collection of days.  Yes to kissing!  Yes to fried chicken.  I guess umbrella covers are important, but didn't realize they rated there own day. 

I like the quote.

The meal sounds delish, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  The drink sounds tasty too.  I hope the wine isn't too expensive.

I've never been to today's port, thanks in advance for pictures and comments.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Thank you to @summer slope for the drink of the day.  Hope you are doing okay after yesterday.

Thank you in advance to Vanessa @JazzyV, Debbie @dfish, and Ann @cat shepard for your contributions as well.

@smitty34877 I hope Lou was able to come home yesterday and you are all doing as best you can.  

I am checking in early as we are on a 1:30 tour of another section of the Atlantic Ocean Road today.

We really enjoyed yesterday’s tour although it was cold and windy.

Still nursing my cold.

Our original plan was to get off the ship in Southampton and go to a wine store to stock up for the next cruise.  Well there is a shopping center (mall) right across the street from the pier and there was a lovely wine store right there.  So we bought what we needed and now we are free in Southampton to do as we please.  If the ship offers a tour we are interested in, we may decided to book it.  Still waiting for destination services to tell us what they are.

Will check in later.  Want to get a bite to eat before our tour.

Prayers for everyone and

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

It is 66°F and cloudy here.

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days and quote.

Today's food sounds good.

Valencia is a lovely port which we have visited many times.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 31

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  It’s going to be a warm one today with no rain, thankfully.  Hats off to kissing, fried chicken and umbrella covers?  Got me on that one.  The quote are words to live by.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice but I’ll pass on the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on the prayer list today.  Happy _________ to those of you celebrating! 🥂

• Like 28

Good morning friends!  It's 70 and will be sunny this morning.  However it will cloud up this afternoon, rise to 90 degrees and 30% chance of rain.  We did have a little rain yesterday but it didn't become severe. 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.  An interesting group of days.  Kissing day should go over well with the crowd as well as fried chicken day.  I'm pretty sure most of us don't have a use for umbrella covers though.  The creamy shrimp pasta sounds unique and I'm sure Debbie @dfish found a recipe for it somewhere.  I wonder if anyone here will attempt to make a Devil in the Morning?  The chardonnay is at least a white wine after quite a few reds.  Thank you Debbie, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the reports today!

I've said my prayers while walking earlier and there are many in need of them.  Hoping for improvement for those who are ailing.  DB and friend's DB Mark are at the top of my list.  Special prayer for Baby Murphy who is going through her surgery today. 🙏  Hoping Dixie @summer slope and George are coping with their loss yesterday.  Hugs to you both!  Congratulations to the Celebration list people today.  Enjoy your happy events and cruises, everyone.  I know of 3 people who are celebrating a birthday on July 6 so happy birthday to them!  One is DH's now 95 year old uncle. 🎂  Cheers to him!🥂  Thanks for Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists.  Hoping we hear from Annie @marshhawk today.

The port this morning is Valencia, Spain.  We had that port on May 10, 2021 and Jan. 18, 2022.  I'll post the links and I hope you can use them to copy your photos and bring them over here.  Valencia is a lovely port and I'm sure quite a few of you have been there at least once.  Our visit was on the Prinsendam in 2018.

We were in Valencia, Spain on our 2018 Prinsendam Grand Voyage (Africa and Mediterranean).  It was a cloudy Sunday morning and we got into town by shuttle bus quite early.  No crowds but very little open either.  By the time we had walked all around the old town part it was beginning to wake up a little.

The entrance we were dropped off at.enhance

enhance

One of the few things open was this market.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The door to this "museum" was standing open, free admission so we stepped inside to see what it was all about.  Basically, this was all we saw.  A foyer...enhance

And this beautiful room.  Check out that ceiling!   Now that's ornate...enhance

To continue on...enhance

enhance

Arriving at the Valencia Cathedral we stepped inside for a look.enhance

enhance

Those ceilings!enhance

We walked around the old town some more and found a different gate out.  Then had to find the shuttle bus stop which we finally did.  An interesting stroll around Valencia.

We have our dermatologist appointments this morning so will be heading out in a couple hours.  Hoping we have nothing serious show up and we don't need to go back for a year.  🤞  Have a safe and productive day everyone!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.  A terrific quote.  I bought chicken thighs yesterday and since the high will be in the 60s I won't worry about heating up the cabin by using the oven so oven fried chicken it is.   Umbrella covers come off and rarely are used again in this house.   Kissing is a fun reason for a day.  Pass on the meal, the cocktail and probably the rare chardonnay.  I have never been to today's port but looking forward to everyone's photos. 

Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.  

Since today is a cool day I will garden and bake the carrot cake for our neighborhood fireworks event on Saturday.   I got a great deal at the fireworks tent in town since they were ready to consolidate with their operation in Wisconsin.  I don't light them, only ooh and aah so I bought a lot. 3 times the amount I would get before the 4th.  Have a nice day. Nancy 

IMG_20230705_150909072_HDR.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone. Going to be hot and sticky day today. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Up very early this morning to get my lab work done for my doctor's appointment next week. Feeling a little discouraged because I can no longer stabilize my blood sugars. I have been a diabetic since 2016 and was stable for many years. Since I had COVID last year, my blood sugars have been high and no matter what I do, I cannot get them lower with diet, exercise, and medications. Diabetes medication is so expensive it gets very frustrating. I will keep plugging away though. 

Anyway, the past meal sounds delicious. 

Thinking of all today who need prayers. 

Celebrating with those who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann for the ALMOST Friday report.  I think I'll pass on the days although fried chicken might be a bit healthier if done in an air fryer.  I admire Pope Clement for not looking for someone to blame when natural events occurred;  today's leaders should take notice.  I haven't been to Valencia, but very much like the Aurelius quote.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is a custom lido omelet which may have been my final meal on MS Zaandam July 6, 2002, my final HAL meal for 9 years.

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. After yesterdays showers we are awakening to 76 degrees which will climb to 88 with chances of more rain. We were in Valencia last month but most of our touring was outside of town.

After our last cruise we had no intentions of booking anymore cruises until our world cruise in January.

Our TA that handles our non Hal cruises sent us an E-mail of a deal so good that we bit hook line and sinker. This October we are sailing 14 days from Montreal to Miami with some of the standard stops,  but one new port  at Shelburne, Nova Scotia,  two days in NYC and a long day in Charleston. We have often wondered what it would be like to cruise on a high end cruise line. We are now going to experience that on Oct 12 on the Seabourn Quest. 

This afternoon we have an appointment with a lawyer to set up a new estate plan that will make it the easiest for our children and grandchildren upon our passing. This evening we return to our church small group for some fellowship and learning,

So a somewhat busy day for us.

Thanks to all who contribute and prayers for those with special needs or issues. 
Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.3a5899e1bfbaa6446f196c3ea5c5ce79.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f77e86f9c6b970f4adab22ad2e5a2297.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f3e55b9b7eff58ba2f4d5e6c93a50a6e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9572b235951ea091410f486f17e4b44e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fd44be97f8caf7bf49bdad6df19108d6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bbb83ba3c72ef1893aed9b2d7f3f2176.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.856b39e49d11ad5fa1b5dcd18fcb1018.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c160cf2977e47650c3c358b97d2aeb82.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 26

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

Now for the days review.

National Kissing Day: Sometimes I refer to the Misses as “Little Miss Pickle”, cause she is the pickle with the perfect pucker. 😳

National Fried Chicken Day: I only celebrate National Southern Fried Chick’n Day. There is a difference.

Umbrella Cover Day: No need to explain.

IMG_1094.thumb.png.d334c6a678e8ede9afb99c5310b1a828.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 13

Good morning from a really humid NY. We were able to get Lou home yesterday. He had no difficulty with the stairs or walking from the car but I am sure he was pretty tired. He is still sleeping now in spite of Tana and I clattering up and down the hall with her equipment and walker.

There are several appointments we will have to get to in the next two weeks and DS is helping us with that. I probably could manage on my own but I am accepting all help right now. DSIL is the official grocery shopper now for both households and is doing a great job.Our teenager covers all dog walks and gets the trash to the curb on designated days. He was able to get a Counselor in Training position at a day camp in the city which started this week. He had us very entertained at dinner describing the antics of “his” kids in the pool yesterday. It seems like yesterday when he was the little kid at the same camp….

Sending prayers for baby Murphy today. I hope all goes well.

@Vict0riann, I hope the PT explained that often after treatment the patient feels worse for a day or so but it does get better. It is tough to break up the cycle of pain and spasm especially with neck problems. I was sorry to read that you and Pat were at the ER again. It is a tough job to be the caretaker.

@marshhawk, Annie, I hope you are feeling better and that you and Chuck got some answers from the doctors. The waiting is very hard.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I hope the PT can help with your pain. It sometimes feels as if one is watching the grass grow in terms of progress.I admire your positive attitude.

@kazu, I sure hope Ivan is doing better and I am so glad you have such a good vet.

@StLouisCruisers* Sandi, I think of your DB often during this hot summer with poor conditions for those with respiratory problems. I hope he is managing ok in spite of it. Tana has found it hard to do just about everything with the oppressive humidity.

All the best to all of you

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

On our recent visit to Valencia we visited the ancient castle in Xativa but marveled at the modern complexes of Valencia’s beautiful museum and arts centers. It was here that our ship bussed us to these complexes for an Azamazing Evening that was truly amazing.

image.thumb.jpeg.9818edf534ecc9e58c0ccf2853b93660.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e033a3765409af2dc25504db982a45f3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4d7538a1711e8d449d99f84ef2129d88.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8c3e7ef6fa6501157309069611445732.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.124056ddd8e86074604b6c653017148d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8e209d6d1ff77cace3e0e882a2987a65.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4dcc22f6c6de37ef75ee1e6a88d3b44a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d449c800c5b3fc50a8e649e2478e5b0b.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Today’s Care list:

The passing of 57redbird’s cousin Chris with glioblastoma 6/30

The passing of cruising sister’s Aunt 7/3

1Angelcat’s friend B with medical issues

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering from surgery 

Cruising sister’s newborn great niece Murphy undergoing surgery today

Vict0riann’s Pat with urinary and kidney infections

Summer slope with a health issue

Lady Hudson’s DH needing PT for leg strength

Ill Dailyite pets – Kazu’s Ivan

summer slope’s Bailey crossing the Rainbow bridge yesterday

Canadian/US wildfires, unhealthy air quality for many 

Tornado and storm victims; dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Marshhawk with elbow inflammation, lung MRI today

JazzyV’s friend Ruth entering hospice care, but still fighting cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Vict0riann’s Pat feeling better

Seasick sailor extending her cruise and getting a fully accessible cabin

Kochleffel’s new fur babies

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Oceansaway17 (Liberty of the Seas to July 8), Loveandpeas (Volendam to July 12, celebrating 14th anniversary), and Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

42 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Prayers today for Baby Murphy with her heart surgery.

Thanks for the gorgeous photos of Valencia Sandi.  Good luck at the dermatologist today.

Thank you Nancy!  

35 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. After yesterdays showers we are awakening to 76 degrees which will climb to 88 with chances of more rain. We were in Valencia last month but most of our touring was outside of town.

After our last cruise we had no intentions of booking anymore cruises until our world cruise in January.

Our TA that handles our non Hal cruises sent us an E-mail of a deal so good that we bit hook line and sinker. This October we are sailing 14 days from Montreal to Miami with some of the standard stops,  but one new port  at Shelburne, Nova Scotia,  two days in NYC and a long day in Charleston. We have often wondered what it would be like to cruise on a high end cruise line. We are now going to experience that on Oct 12 on the Seabourn Quest. 

This afternoon we have an appointment with a lawyer to set up a new estate plan that will make it the easiest for our children and grandchildren upon our passing. This evening we return to our church small group for some fellowship and learning,

So a somewhat busy day for us.

Thanks to all who contribute and prayers for those with special needs or issues. 
Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.3a5899e1bfbaa6446f196c3ea5c5ce79.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f77e86f9c6b970f4adab22ad2e5a2297.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f3e55b9b7eff58ba2f4d5e6c93a50a6e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9572b235951ea091410f486f17e4b44e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fd44be97f8caf7bf49bdad6df19108d6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bbb83ba3c72ef1893aed9b2d7f3f2176.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.856b39e49d11ad5fa1b5dcd18fcb1018.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c160cf2977e47650c3c358b97d2aeb82.jpeg

Bruce, I hope your journey on Seabourn Quest is a great one!  We have sailed on her twice before and enjoy that ship immensely.  Next to Prinsendam, our favorite ship.  And a great itinerary too.  We did a similar one on Rotterdam in 2018, Montreal to Tampa.  Quite enjoyable.

17 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning from a really humid NY. We were able to get Lou home yesterday. He had no difficulty with the stairs or walking from the car but I am sure he was pretty tired. He is still sleeping now in spite of Tana and I clattering up and down the hall with her equipment and walker.

There are several appointments we will have to get to in the next two weeks and DS is helping us with that. I probably could manage on my own but I am accepting all help right now. DSIL is the official grocery shopper now for both households and is doing a great job.Our teenager covers all dog walks and gets the trash to the curb on designated days. He was able to get a Counselor in Training position at a day camp in the city which started this week. He had us very entertained at dinner describing the antics of “his” kids in the pool yesterday. It seems like yesterday when he was the little kid at the same camp….

Sending prayers for baby Murphy today. I hope all goes well.

@Vict0riann, I hope the PT explained that often after treatment the patient feels worse for a day or so but it does get better. It is tough to break up the cycle of pain and spasm especially with neck problems. I was sorry to read that you and Pat were at the ER again. It is a tough job to be the caretaker.

@marshhawk, Annie, I hope you are feeling better and that you and Chuck got some answers from the doctors. The waiting is very hard.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I hope the PT can help with your pain. It sometimes feels as if one is watching the grass grow in terms of progress.I admire your positive attitude.

@kazu, I sure hope Ivan is doing better and I am so glad you have such a good vet.

@StLouisCruisers* Sandi, I think of your DB often during this hot summer with poor conditions for those with respiratory problems. I hope he is managing ok in spite of it. Tana has found it hard to do just about everything with the oppressive humidity.

All the best to all of you

Thank you Terry!  DB  is doing as well as can be expected in such a hot and humid location.  Great news to hear Lou is home again, and getting some rest.  I like the way you describe the family all pitching in to get things done.  Your teenager sounds amazing!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich. A lovely morning precedes today’s scorcher. We had a brief T-storm yesterday that at least increased the breezes. That helped a great deal. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our cares & celebrations!  Praying that baby Murphy’s surgery is a complete success and her recovery is quick! @smitty34877 I am toasting Lou with my morning coffee! How wonderful that he is home! Praying that the remainder of his recovery is swift with NO detours. Thinking of you Dixie @summer slope ❤️.

Zumba, Bindi walks, pool time & I need to spray my plants with Bobbex. Between the irrigation system & the little bit of rain we’ve had, my last application has worn off. 

IMG_3780.jpeg.33864d125653bab3f2e396c4861d634c.jpeg

IMG_1460.jpeg.bb24cc220411fc1c67636c2b220c7425.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @luvteaching, Karen thinking of you. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Felton Road Chardonnay Central Otago Block 6 2021

There are several distributors of this New Zealand wine that ship worldwide. The vintner works hard to produce this Chardonnay, and I would love a taste. Doesn’t sound too oaky, but palates differ. Online prices start at $52.37 (a European distributors) + shipping. 

Distributor notes

Aromas of elderflower and stone fruit, an evocation of bright, reflective stones and cool air. The north facing slope, higher elevation and greater exposure of Block 6, lend an extra degree of ripeness and stature compared to the finer, more mineral Block 2. The palate leads with grapefruit pith and persimmon flavours becoming broad and powerful. Honest and expressive of its unique vineyard origin. 

Block 6 was planted in 1993 and is positioned on a north facing slope immediately south of Block 5 on The Elms vineyard. Its higher elevation (282-300m) and steeper slope favourably intercepts the sun but results in it being more wind exposed. Meticulous summer management of a single vertical shoot positioned (VSP) canopy ensures even and early fruit maturity. Shoot thinning, shoot positioning, leaf plucking, bunch thinning and harvest are all carried out by hand to ensure optimum quality fruit. Cover crops are planted between rows to assist in vine balance and to improve soil health and general biodiversity.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1