Makeup removal and face cleansing: national differences

Some recent posts about the lack of washcloths on European ships, as well as ads for micellar water "as used by European women", have led me to wonder about the differences, and the pros and cons of each.

Some posters said they thought using a washcloth ("flannel", "washrag") is gross.

I went through a bottle of micellar water, using it for makeup removal as well as skin cleansing.  It worked well, but I went through a lot of cotton pads.

Alternately, I use a makeup wipe to remove eye makeup, then wash with a liquid face wash and washcloth. That washcloth gets used once, then laundered.

What do you do?

• Like 1

I recently met a Brit who had lived in France for 30 years, and I finally asked her about face flannels ... how does she wash her face?  "With my hands" she replied, looking rather amazed that I didn't know.  I've used a wash-off cleanser and a washcloth all my life.  I needed something totally benign and without 'oil' to keep my hard contact lenses happy.  Now I wear little eye makeup, so I use baby shampoo/wash and a wash cloth.  

I grew up with face clothes as we  call them (UK usage I suspect) - and I use one at home - though my partner doesn't and we're similar ages. I only rarely wear makeup and if I do I remove it using a cleanser and pads. I don't use the facecloth for that . I just like having them and miss them if they aren't around- I now carry a microfibre one - its tiny dries instantly and takes no space. 

I've only ever cleaned my face with water in the shower if I have no make up on - which is 99% of the time 

• Like 2

I use a microfiber towel at home & on travel. I remove my eye makeup with a pad then Massage the cleanser in with my fingers & wash off with my trusty microfiber cloth. As Lessie said, dries.  almost instantly 

On 7/8/2023 at 9:12 AM, shipgeeks said:

Some posters said they thought using a washcloth ("flannel", "washrag") is gross.

They do realize the washcloths are wash between uses, right?  

22 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I recently met a Brit who had lived in France for 30 years, and I finally asked her about face flannels ... how does she wash her face?  "With my hands" she replied, looking rather amazed that I didn't know. 

I'm picturing those commercials in which a smiling, beautiful woman stands at the sink and splashes slow-mo water over her face in the most perfect pattern ... all without splashing a single drop out of the sink.  

22 hours ago, jsn55 said:

so I use baby shampoo/wash and a wash cloth.  

You use baby shampoo as face wash?  That's cost efficient!  Is it good for any particular type of skin?  

11 hours ago, Carolfay said:

Hands only for face washing - but I first use a wipe for my eye makeup

Me too.  If I'm wearing eye make up, which isn't a given, I wipe my eyes with a "cotton round" and liquid makeup remover.  Then I wash my face in the shower.  I'm not loyal to any particular face cleaner, but I do use face cleaner, not plain soap.  Right now I'm using a fantastic never-heard-of-it-brand TaDa -- I'm loving this stuff.  Waiting in the wings, I have SIX tubes of Oil Of Olay facial cleaner, which I got FOR FREE with coupons -- probably enough for two years. 

Finally, a small tip -- no, not small:  When you're down to the end of a tube of cleaner or lotion, cut it open with scissors and use your fingers to scrape out all the product that's left inside.  You'll be AMAZED at how much is left inside the container.  I have a couple little screw-top containers into which I move product -- usually I get at least two weeks' worth of cleaner or lotion.  It's worth the couple minutes of effort.

• Like 2

I wear face powder, blush, eye shadow and eye liner. 

At night when I wash my face I use ponds cold cream. I put it all over my face and rub it around. Then I use a damp wash cloth and wipe it off. The ponds removes all makeup and moistureizes my face. 

In the mornings I just rinse my face with cold water. Before I put on my face moisture and make up.

Even tho I'm an old lady, my face isn't 'dry' so the baby wash seems like a smart choice; I assume there are few chemicals added to it.  Other than sunscreen if I'm going to be out working, I never remember to use moisturizer. Dry skin might need more moisturizer in a wash.  

Thank you for all the replies!

On the recommendation of a friend, I tried baby shampoo for eye makeup removal.  It burned my eyes; I did not stick with it.

Micellar water on a disposable pad seemed to work well for removing eye makeup, but in the morning I always had black under my eyes.  That doesn't happen if I use makeup remover sheets, then face cleanser all over (with my hands), then rinse well with a wet washcloth.  In the morning, regardless of my bedtime routine, I just wash gently with a wet washcloth.

My SiL uses Ponds; however, she does not wear any makeup, ever.

Mum, I always do the same, re cutting across a tube of product, to get several more uses!

• Like 1

I use the Neutrogena cleansing wipes and then rinse with water.  A lot of days I just have mascara and eyebrow pencil on.  It seems to get all the makeup off.  I wash my face with soap when I take my shower.  

I’m late to the party here.

I’m a hand wash person.  I use Trader Joe’s All in One facial cleanser.  Mild, fragrance free.  The same as the Neutrogena produce, but cheaper.  I do use a dab of Sephora waterproof eye makeup remover if I’ve put on eyeliner and such.  It doesn’t mess with my eyes.  I’ll put some in a contact lens container when I travel.  I’ll use whatever soap is there to wash my face.

• Like 1

So interesting to read! When I wear makeup, I use liquid makeup remover on a cotton pad and then some CeraVe cleanser, applied with my fingers and rinsed off with a microfiber cloth. I thoroughly rinse the cloth and use it the next morning with just water as a refresh, then it’s tossed in laundry. 

My facial cleanser is Philosophy Purity Made Simple. Leaves my skin soft and doesn't feel dry after washing. When I wear eye makeup or foundation, I use Beekman cleansing cloths. Removes makeup easily, even stubborn mascara. The towelettes don't leave skin dry plus they smell great.

I do the same thing as Mum 2 Mercury cutting tubes in half to remove product. I do this for my facial moisturizer and body butter/creams. I've been doing this for years. There is so much product in the tube that is wasted.

• Like 1

I use Cetafil (sp?) soap and my hands. Neutrogena-type water gel after. Clarins Double serum and sunscreen in the mornings. Makeup on work days, plain face the rest. I buy mark up remover cloths, but never use them.

• Like 2

After washing my hands, I wet hands, wet face. 

Lather soap in hands, wash face with hands.

If I’ve worn mascara some olive oil might be needed to budge it, so a drop of oil is before the soap lather.

I wash my face in the shower the same way in the morning, then in the sink at night.

I wipe up a lot of oversplash. Ha. 

after each wash, I moisturize about 80 percent of the time. I have a retinol for night and a tinted spf for day.

• Like 2

I wear a full face of makeup so need to do a proper clean every evening. Some nights I use a cleansing cream on facecloth/flannel. If I use that method, I first use liquid eye makeup remover on washable makeup remover disks that I sew up from jersey fabric scraps and microfibre cloths. (Very easy sewing project & they go right into the wash.)

Sometimes when I'm tired or lazy I use evil disposable makeup remover cloths. That's what I take on holiday, too. Much better than ruining a white washcloth in a hotel. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do use washcloths but mostly to dry my face after the actual washing.

If I'm wearing make-up I use Almay eye make-up remover pads, the oil based as I have to use waterproof mascara to prevent racoon eyes. Then either make-up remove cloths or just wash with my hands, depending on whether I have make up on or not.

I dislike using cleanser due to the mess.  On cruises I cut the cloths in half.beforehand.