Should/can we leave the TV on or get a travel lamp?

Linda W.

We booked an inside cabin and if we can't/don/t get upgraded will most likely need something to let us know when it is daytime.  I think we can set the TV to a view from the front of the ship and just leave it on all night.  (Silhouette)  Or we could get a travel lamp that would come on automatically when it is daytime hours.  (IF I CAN FIND SUCH A THING).  I really am not sure I want a motion light but I don't really know how that would help to tell me it is morning.  Have never been in an inside cabin before.  We are Select and tried to get the travel agent to have Celebrity upgrade us from our Prime inside to an Oceanview but instead they just credited our account $$ and charged us for basic inside but gave us the Prime inside.  (so much for the upgrade to the next category even though there are plenty or rooms left!).  We are also in the Yacht Club on MSC following our 10 night in the Silhouette also in an inside room.  Anyway what are your opinions on lighting to let us know when it is daytime other than an alarm clock?  I really hate alarm clocks!  Thanks for the help!

14 minutes ago, Linda W. said:

We booked an inside cabin and if we can't/don/t get upgraded will most likely need something to let us know when it is daytime.  I think we can set the TV to a view from the front of the ship and just leave it on all night.  (Silhouette)  Or we could get a travel lamp that would come on automatically when it is daytime hours.  (IF I CAN FIND SUCH A THING).  I really am not sure I want a motion light but I don't really know how that would help to tell me it is morning.  Have never been in an inside cabin before.  We are Select and tried to get the travel agent to have Celebrity upgrade us from our Prime inside to an Oceanview but instead they just credited our account $$ and charged us for basic inside but gave us the Prime inside.  (so much for the upgrade to the next category even though there are plenty or rooms left!).  We are also in the Yacht Club on MSC following our 10 night in the Silhouette also in an inside room.  Anyway what are your opinions on lighting to let us know when it is daytime other than an alarm clock?  I really hate alarm clocks!  Thanks for the help!

You are a candidate for a sunrise alarm clock. 

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-sunrise-alarm-clock/

• Thanks 1

I would leave the TV on. As for the captains club upgrade, it is only with in the same category, i.e. inside to inside, ocean view to ocean view, etc. If there are a lot of ocean view available you have a shot at a move up upgrade.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Linda W. said:

charged us for basic inside but gave us the Prime inside.  (so much for the upgrade to the next category even though there are plenty or rooms left!).  

That was your upgrade. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Linda W. said: We are Select and tried to get the travel agent to have Celebrity upgrade us from our Prime inside to an Oceanview but instead they just credited our account $$ and charged us for basic inside but gave us the Prime inside.  (so much for the upgrade to the next category even though there are plenty or rooms left!). 

The 1 category upgrade is within a designated cabin class.  Book a prime inside at the lower inside rate, book a prime veranda at the veranda rate.  It is not to pay for an Inside and get a Oceanview.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Linda W. said:

You have misunderstood the Captains Club upgrade offer.  And your travel agent did, too.

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a super category upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Galapagos voyages.

For sailings departing prior to April 12, 2023: Captain's Club one-category upgrade excludes categories: 12, FV, SV, C1 and Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. On Celebrity Edge categories 12, 9, 7, 6, IO, 1B, 1A, SV, ES, E1, C2, C1, A1 are also excluded.

For sailings departing on or after April 12, 2023: Captain's Club one-category upgrade excludes categories: IS, ES, SV, SC, PO, DO, DI, DV and Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W.

This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to Exciting Deals, Interline, travel agent or employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings.

The Captain's Club program terms are subject to change at any time without prior notice. Offers vary by tier, see benefit grid for full details. Captain Club benefits may not be available with other sales and promotions.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/enroll#Terms

My experience is the TV can be left on and the power saving shut off is not active.  Not sure if the light would bother you.  The bridge cam flips between maps.   

All phones have a wake-up call features. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I would leave the TV on. As for the captains club upgrade, it is only with in the same category, i.e. inside to inside, ocean view to ocean view, etc. If there are a lot of ocean view available you have a shot at a move up upgrade.

Thank you!! I misunderstood!!!

I don't think this is as much of an issue as you are making it out to be. We sail in inside rooms often. You will eventually wake up, whether light is coming into the room or not. A quick glance at your phone  or a clock will tell if you if its daytime or not. If you need to be up by a certain time, just set an alarm. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I don't think this is as much of an issue as you are making it out to be. We sail in inside rooms often. You will eventually wake up, whether light is coming into the room or not. A quick glance at your phone  or a clock will tell if you if its daytime or not. If you need to be up by a certain time, just set an alarm. 

Didn't know I was making such an issue of it.  Just wanted opinions.  Thank you for your keen insight into knowing I would eventually wake up!  Yes, I know I can look at my phone.  Thanks.  If I knew how to close this thread I would.  That way it won't become "such an issue".  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

The few times that we have been in an inside cabin, we have set the TV to the 'live' bridge view and lowered the volume all the way down. Since it's nighttime, there's no light pollution. It's nice to wake up, glance at the TV and see if it's daylight yet, is the sun shining, is it raining,....or if we are in port yet. Just my two cents.

• Like 3

We leave the TV on the channel that shows the front of the ship (with the sound down).  Then it gets lighter as it gets lighter outside.  There is some light that shows even in the dark so, if this bothers you, it might not be a good option, but it worked for us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Linda W. said:

Didn't know I was making such an issue of it.  Just wanted opinions.  Thank you for your keen insight into knowing I would eventually wake up!  Yes, I know I can look at my phone.  Thanks.  If I knew how to close this thread I would.  That way it won't become "such an issue".  Thanks.

Wasn't trying to offend. the question asked was how to know if it was daytime. That seemed equally obvious. 

It seems that people are attached to the idea of the sun waking them up. I've worked on and off nights during my career so would keep windows completely covered up so I can sleep during the day. Letting the sun wake you up isn't that big of a deal to leave the TV on all night. 

Edited by sanger727

On 7/10/2023 at 12:07 PM, Rajona said:

The few times that we have been in an inside cabin, we have set the TV to the 'live' bridge view and lowered the volume all the way down. Since it's nighttime, there's no light pollution. It's nice to wake up, glance at the TV and see if it's daylight yet, is the sun shining, is it raining,....or if we are in port yet. Just my two cents.

That is exactly what we have done for years.

• Like 1