Tux Rental

KillerSnake

I may well go buy a new suit. I don't care for the only one I have and it no longer fits at all. I've just dropped over 30 lbs. so I don't even have shorts that fit let alone something to wear for "smart casual" in the evenings or anything at all to wear for "formal" nights. I can still wear my black shoes but that's about it! It's great though that my favorite Tommy Bahama Christmas shirt fits now. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KillerSnake said:

Thank you, Chief.  Thank you for your service.

I did 15 and had to leave under the Clinton era draw down. My wife was able to serve 28. So I played "Army Wife" for a bit. It was fun to see some traditionalist spouse group leaders try to make me feel unwelcome only to have the newer spouses welcome me and ask for my help. Hoot and a half it was.

Yeah. I could have never served 23 years without my Army Wife. She still directs my activities. That is why I always wear a suit and tie on formal nights! 🤣 She always said, "Don't confuse your rank with my authority."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/10/2023 at 8:24 AM, mtnesterz said:

Mess Dress is equivalent to Black Tie. You could wear that. I've seen a USAF Colonel on a couple of cruises in Mess Dress. Do a search for used tuxedos online. If you cruise a couple times a year, it might make sense to buy used.

I have thought about wearing my Coast Guard Dinner Dress uniform on a cruise, but alas that was 40 years and 50 pounds ago. I would also be afraid that someone would tell me I have the next watch.😁

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

I have thought about wearing my Coast Guard Dinner Dress uniform on a cruise, but alas that was 40 years and 50 pounds ago. I would also be afraid that someone would tell me I have the next watch.😁

USCG has the prettiest uniforms, imho.
Thank you for your service. My dad (USCGA ‘52) served 24 years.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:53 AM, Hlitner said:

As the risk of getting flamed (anything dress code can cause that on CC) I would offer a recent observation, based on current cruising.  While one can certainly wear a tux, or even tails, on a Princess cruise, you will be one of the very few.  These days, you are more likely to see men wearing a wife beater top than a tux :(.  Even though I own a tux (with all the extras) and enjoy formal dress, I have now stopped taking my tux on Princess and most other lines (Cunard would be about the only exception).  In the past 5 years, the number of folks dressing in true formal wear has declined to a very small group.  Men are fine just wearing a suit or blazer...or even a nice shirt without a jacket.  

The reason tux rentals have disappeared (from Princess and most other lines) is that few folks would bother with this service.

Hank

Just off the Majestic and I support everything you have stated.  Saw several in shorts on “formal” night ..and we were in Alaska.  We saw one Tux.  Many were dressed in suit, open shirt collar and jacket but the majority were in khakis and golf shirts.    On the second formal night entitled  “dress to impress night” my husband wore khakis, checked dress shirt with coordinating pullover sweater instead of his suit and tie and he “fit in” better.  Don’t get me started on smart casual night…yes there were “wife beaters” and shorts! In fairness, I don’t think many new cruisers  ( very few repeat cruisers on this cruise) realize the distinction between “casual” and “smart casual”.

Edited by Cancun01
  • Like 2

I can't remember ever seeing a wife beater in the evening unless it was up on Lido Deck where it's perfectly normal and acceptable. Smart Casual doesn't really translate to Lido Deck apparel. I did once see a biker guy who wore his "dress colors" in the evening along with a do rag. He was, however, always clean and well mannered. Not an issue at all. I must go on different cruises from other people because I always see a lot of men in suits and a number in tuxedos. Of course we don't tend to do 5 - 7 day Caribbean cruises. We have done 3 Alaska cruises and have failed to see either wife beaters or shorts in MDR and have only seen shorts a couple of times in the evening on any cruise except for on Lido Deck. The few in shorts really stood out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

I can't remember ever seeing a wife beater in the evening unless it was up on Lido Deck where it's perfectly normal and acceptable. Smart Casual doesn't really translate to Lido Deck apparel. I did once see a biker guy who wore his "dress colors" in the evening along with a do rag. He was, however, always clean and well mannered. Not an issue at all. I must go on different cruises from other people because I always see a lot of men in suits and a number in tuxedos. Of course we don't tend to do 5 - 7 day Caribbean cruises. We have done 3 Alaska cruises and have failed to see either wife beaters or shorts in MDR and have only seen shorts a couple of times in the evening on any cruise except for on Lido Deck. The few in shorts really stood out.

Totally agree with you.  We haven’t sailed in the Caribbean or Alaska for over 12 years after almost 40 voyages.  Of course, back then there was a dress code which was adhered to.  We now sail predominantly in the Med, British Isles and other parts of Europe, where passengers do tend to dress better.  On these itineraries I’ve never seen any gentlemen present themselves at the MDR wearing inappropriate attire.  Not necessarily tuxedos, but suits and ties or nice trousers with a jacket or sweater, most with ties, but not all.  Certainly a different mentality than many gentlemen in the US.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

USCG has the prettiest uniforms, imho.
Thank you for your service. My dad (USCGA ‘52) served 24 years.

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

I can't remember ever seeing a wife beater in the evening unless it was up on Lido Deck where it's perfectly normal and acceptable. Smart Casual doesn't really translate to Lido Deck apparel. I did once see a biker guy who wore his "dress colors" in the evening along with a do rag. He was, however, always clean and well mannered. Not an issue at all. I must go on different cruises from other people because I always see a lot of men in suits and a number itimen tuxedos. Of course we don't tend to do 5 - 7 day Caribbean cruises. We have done 3 Alaska cruises and have failed to see either wife beaters or shorts in MDR and have only seen shorts a couple of times in the evening on any cruise except for on Lido Deck. The few in shorts really stood out.

I agree.  The ONE time DH showed up in shorts to the dining room (we got back late from a tour and our dining room/time was being seated.) He was turned away from the door.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:46 AM, Thrak said:

We were on for 14 nights…North/south bound Alaska.  My comments referred to the first 7 nights, are accurate and do not refer to the Lido deck.  I was  surprised at the number of shorts and wife beaters/basic t-shirts in the MDR ( Allegro), Crown Grill Bar area, the Piazza area which did indeed stand out to me.  We are elite but have not sailed on Princess since 2018 and I was a bit taken back.  The second week was completely different; a few shorts  but we did not see any tuxes.  

On 7/10/2023 at 7:52 AM, KillerSnake said:

I guess I am just old fashioned. I still wear full dress uniform as a military vet to the 11:30 PM the Combined Protestant Candlelight Service at Soldiers Memorial Chapel on post every year.

There is a big difference between wearing a full dress uniform and a tux.  If you wear your uniform most people will respect your service in the military.  If you wear a tux many people will feel that your are a bit old fashioned and look out of place.

DON

naaa Don I don't agree. I received many compliments ( mostly from women) on my formal event attire. My dance card was and has been full on those nights. 😉

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tutumomickey said:

We always receive compliments on our tuxes and ball gowns from both other passengers and crew. I think the crew especially appreciates the effort since they are all in formal dress.

The crew has no choice in the matter. 

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

naaa Don I don't agree. I received many compliments ( mostly from women) on my formal event attire. My dance card was and has been full on those nights. 😉

What's a dance card? Is that like a coffee card from a few years ago?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

The crew has no choice in the matter. 

Exactly. The crew has no choice but we do. So when we follow 'suit' , we are supporting them. Not sure why but their smiles always seem even warmer on formal night.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2023 at 6:37 AM, memoak said:

My tux has hung in my closet for at least 5 years. Wear slacks, long sleeve shirt and sports coat for formal nights 

Yeah my tux is in the closet too...nice shirt and slacks I don't feel out of place at all

Edited by gvre
  • Like 1