Tux Rental

KillerSnake

5 minutes ago, KillerSnake said:

OK. I had seen similar statements to that effect.

My question was how do I do it now?

You would have to bring your own.  Princess no longer offers this service.

As the risk of getting flamed (anything dress code can cause that on CC) I would offer a recent observation, based on current cruising.  While one can certainly wear a tux, or even tails, on a Princess cruise, you will be one of the very few.  These days, you are more likely to see men wearing a wife beater top than a tux :(.  Even though I own a tux (with all the extras) and enjoy formal dress, I have now stopped taking my tux on Princess and most other lines (Cunard would be about the only exception).  In the past 5 years, the number of folks dressing in true formal wear has declined to a very small group.  Men are fine just wearing a suit or blazer...or even a nice shirt without a jacket.  

The reason tux rentals have disappeared (from Princess and most other lines) is that few folks would bother with this service.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, antsp said:

In all honesty, I think a tux looks out of place onboard these days. 

My tux has hung in my closet for at least 5 years. Wear slacks, long sleeve shirt and sports coat for formal nights 

1 hour ago, KillerSnake said:

OK. I had seen similar statements to that effect.

My question was how do I do it now?

You can look into renting one from a local tuxedo rental shop. It might not be much more expensive to just buy one though, that is your other option 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KillerSnake said:

I guess I am just old fashioned. I still wear full dress uniform as a military vet to the 11:30 PM the Combined Protestant Candlelight Service at Soldiers Memorial Chapel on post every year.

Mess Dress is equivalent to Black Tie. You could wear that. I've seen a USAF Colonel on a couple of cruises in Mess Dress. Do a search for used tuxedos online. If you cruise a couple times a year, it might make sense to buy used.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Mess Dress is equivalent to Black Tie. You could wear that. I've seen a USAF Colonel on a couple of cruises in Mess Dress. Do a search for used tuxedos online. If you cruise a couple times a year, it might make sense to buy used.

I only own Army dress blues. So I wear a block bow tie as needed instead of 4-in-hand.

No big deal. This is our 40th Anniversary cruise. We will be on the ship on our actual anniversary. I just that I would do it up. We chose this cruise to see SE Alaska after having spent two summers in the interior using Ft. Wainwright as our base of operations.

I have a good suit that travels well rolled up into a Pringles can. I guess I will use that.

• Like 3

I only own Army dress blues. So I wear a block bow tie as needed instead of 4-in-hand.

No big deal. This is our 40th Anniversary cruise. We will be on the ship on our actual anniversary. I just that I would do it up. We chose this cruise to see SE Alaska after having spent two summers in the interior using Ft. Wainwright as our base of operations.

I have a good suit that travels well rolled up into a Pringles can. I guess I will use that.

40th 💥🍾 🥂

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

happy 40th.  It's fun to celebrate on a cruise.

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As the risk of getting flamed (anything dress code can cause that on CC) I would offer a recent observation, based on current cruising.  While one can certainly wear a tux, or even tails, on a Princess cruise, you will be one of the very few.  These days, you are more likely to see men wearing a wife beater top than a tux :(.  Even though I own a tux (with all the extras) and enjoy formal dress, I have now stopped taking my tux on Princess and most other lines (Cunard would be about the only exception).  In the past 5 years, the number of folks dressing in true formal wear has declined to a very small group.  Men are fine just wearing a suit or blazer...or even a nice shirt without a jacket.  

The reason tux rentals have disappeared (from Princess and most other lines) is that few folks would bother with this service.

Hank

I think the OP was hoping to make it special for their anniversary.  He’s probably aware that dressing down is now acceptable.  I commend him for wanting a more memorable experience, especially for his wife who is probably dressing to the nines.  If all men only realized how appealing they are when all dressed up, they might do it more often.  To each their own.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

If all men only realized how appealing they are when all dressed up, they might do it more often.

be careful what you wish for 🥰

Top coat, top hat,
And I don't worry 'cause my wallet's fat
Black shades, white gloves,
Lookin' sharp lookin' for love
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man

ZZ TOP

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

be careful what you wish for 🥰

Top coat, top hat,
And I don't worry 'cause my wallet's fat
Black shades, white gloves,
Lookin' sharp lookin' for love
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man

ZZ TOP

Love that song…..showing my age, right!  A sharp dressed man has always gotten my attention (including my DH! lol) and they still do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Why not be among the dozen guys dressed up? 

A dozen very handsome and appealing and oh, so attractive guys!  The dudes in shorts and t shirts, well, not so much.  I see them at the gas station everyday.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, KillerSnake said:

Two things: Happy Anniversary and thank you for your service. As a retired CW3, USArmy, I would be proud to salute you in uniform for your special day!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Two things: Happy Anniversary and thank you for your service. As a retired CW3, USArmy, I would be proud to salute you in uniform for your special day!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Chief.  Thank you for your service.

I did 15 and had to leave under the Clinton era draw down. My wife was able to serve 28. So I played "Army Wife" for a bit. It was fun to see some traditionalist spouse group leaders try to make me feel unwelcome only to have the newer spouses welcome me and ask for my help. Hoot and a half it was.

• Like 1