What's this I hear about Vintage Room??

Leejnd4

I saw a post on Facebook saying that the Vintage Room will no longer be something passengers can book individually, but will instead require booking the full room with 14 attendees. Is this true? 😳

I'm hoping it's a misunderstanding. Vintage Room dinners have been some of the best nights I've ever had on a cruise anywhere. FAR superior to any of the other cruise lines' wine-tasting dinners (e.g. Oceania's La Reserve). I understand it's always been dependent on them being able to fill up the seats, but I never had to worry about filling them up MYSELF - I would simply submit a request to attend, and then wait to hear if they'd found enough attendees. And in my case, they did each time. Not too many people go on a Crystal cruise with 14 friends, so expecting the passengers to fill the room is rather unrealistic, IMO.

I'm really hoping this was a misunderstanding of some sort. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Is Symphony VR size still 12 people?

Oops, I guess that should have read 12 people. My memory is imperfect. 😉 

I'm still hoping this is misinformation.........

I can see a market for lapel buttons that read

I'm interested in the Vintage Room.  Are you?

As you go about your business, hoping to find another dozen folks.

At least it's a new kind of icebreaker.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

Oops, I guess that should have read 12 people. My memory is imperfect. 😉 

I'm still hoping this is misinformation.........

My guess is it's wrong.

After I saw it I reached out to someone who would know. Awaiting response.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Crystal had no problem filling up the VR on our last cruise

Our VR experience was fantastic but I’m not sure I would do it again.

I’m one of those “been there, done that” kind of guys.

Greg

• Like 3

While we wait on word from the Oracle, my two cents.  The original FB post indicated some pretty imprecise information, it was far from definitive.  One guess is that the first few cruises may have had the VR already bought out, Crystal has always limited the nights it's available and my be further throttling thru put while they get their sea legs.  After the initial surge of Crystal fans has passed thru the pipeline, I'm sure they'll offer VR nights put together onboard of smaller groups.  Otherwise they're leaving revenue on the table. (Also, the FB post this was all based on was from someone attempting to book two persons into VR in advance of sailing. I could be wrong, but I thought Crystal only ever did that once on board.)

• Like 2

I would think = using for instance the roll call on this site - you could find the people to fill your 12 users if that is actually needed.  Hopefully not but an advantage of CC is have contacts to make joint reservations such as this if needed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

While we wait on word from the Oracle, my two cents.  The original FB post indicated some pretty imprecise information, it was far from definitive.  One guess is that the first few cruises may have had the VR already bought out, Crystal has always limited the nights it's available and my be further throttling thru put while they get their sea legs.  After the initial surge of Crystal fans has passed thru the pipeline, I'm sure they'll offer VR nights put together onboard of smaller groups.  Otherwise they're leaving revenue on the table. (Also, the FB post this was all based on was from someone attempting to book two persons into VR in advance of sailing. I could be wrong, but I thought Crystal only ever did that once on board.)

This was exactly my read when I saw it yesterday.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Yes, and the poster didn't even use the right term for it, so that tends to make me question their credibility. And you are correct, if my memory serves: I was unable to pre-book Vintage Room in advance. I recall I had to submit a request once onboard, and then they would get back to us to confirm if they got enough people, and what night it was going to be on. It's possible we may have had the option to indicate *interest* in doing a VR in advance, but not actually book it.

3 hours ago, ctjon said:

I would think = using for instance the roll call on this site - you could find the people to fill your 12 users if that is actually needed.  Hopefully not but an advantage of CC is have contacts to make joint reservations such as this if needed.

I had that thought too...but Cruise Critic roll calls are simply not as active as they once were. I remember my first Paul Gauguin cruise many years ago we had DOZENS of people in our roll call! For my upcoming November PG cruise we have a grand total of - six (three couples). Granted, there are some other PG roll calls that appear more active, but there are others for cruises coming up soon that have virtually no activity. So we just can't trust that will work anymore. 

That being said...the Crystal forum is definitely one of the more active ones, for a cruise line with only two ships! 😉

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

My guess is it's wrong.

After I saw it I reached out to someone who would know. Awaiting response.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I suspect @KenzSailing is probably right...that things may take some time to settle and initial cruises may not reflect the way things will be once NC finds its rhythm.

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leejnd4 said:

Yes, and the poster didn't even use the right term for it, so that tends to make me question their credibility

The poster on the fb post sailed the old crystal many times.

Nancy

• Like 2

We've done many VR including our own 50th anniversary party. We were able to pre-book VR for a full compliment of guests, other times we spoke to the Head Sommelier to tell him we were interested in a VR dinner, and when he had 12/14 he would arrange it. In my memory he may have had one date and as time went on and interested parties requested, he may have added another date. The wines on our party were at and charged at our level of interest, the group, or unaffiliated (for loss of a better term) were at Crytal's choice at a fixed price for all, no upgrading or downgrading.

• Like 1

I know the original poster and have messaged with her about the information she received and she has shared what she was told by her TA who has very seasoned and has booked Crystal for years and is one of the top producers.  I will see what I can find out but don't want to speculate on whether this is how it will work and, if so, initially or long term.  If I learn something concrete before we sail I will share it here and where it was originally posted and if not, I will inquire while we are on-board.

Keith

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I know the original poster and have messaged with her about the information she received and she has shared what she was told by her TA who has very seasoned and has booked Crystal for years and is one of the top producers.  I will see what I can find out but don't want to speculate on whether this is how it will work and, if so, initially or long term.  If I learn something concrete before we sail I will share it here and where it was originally posted and if not, I will inquire while we are on-board.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I'm hoping by the time of my next Crystal cruise (more than a year away 😢) things with VR will be back to normal. And if not, I guess I'll wear one of @FlyerTalker's "I'm interested in the Vintage Room. Are you?" buttons! 😝

• Like 1

I have confirmed Vintage Room dinners will continue to be offered as they were in the past. Guests will have the opportunity to sign up for them once on board. They expect to offer this starting with the first voyage.  They expect to offer lunches as well but just like in the past length of itinerary and the number of port versus sea days often determines whether or not luncheons are offered. And in both cases it comes down to interest in them by the guests.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I have confirmed Vintage Room dinners will continue to be offered as they were in the past. Guests will have the opportunity to sign up for them once on board. They expect to offer this starting with the first voyage.  They expect to offer lunches as well but just like in the past length of itinerary and the number of port versus sea days often determines whether or not luncheons are offered. And in both cases it comes down to interest in them by the guests.

Keith

Keith, Such great news about the lunches♥️…The first voyage of our September b2b on Symphony has no sea days, but the second has two sea days, so we are now very hopeful. 
#itsawonderfulworld

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Told ya.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

GREAT NEWS! I'm so relieved. Given that my next Crystal cruise is going to be me solo, I didn't want to have to wander around begging 11 other people to join me. LOL! (On the other hand, it could have been a great way to make new friends onboard.)😂

4 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Told ya.

That you did! 🙂 

LeeAnne, I am reminded about how we became Crystalized on our very first voyage on Crystal Harmony.  It started early in the cruise when I needed help with an item and saw the concierge. First words out of his mouth after I explained the situation was Mr. S.......  You are on vacation. Allow me to take care of this for you.  And he did.

You will be on vacation on-board the Symphony.  It is the Head Sommelier who promotes the Vintage Room.  It is your time to enjoy and relax.

This is why when I first saw the post on FB and then yours my response was simply "My guess it's wrong".  And I had already asked about it after seeing the other post.

P.S.  KenzSailng.....Logic told me that they would do one or more even on the first cruise. Most of the people I know don't do exclusive VR's where it would be booked up. But as they time will tell.

Keith

• Like 2