Are Butler tips part of the all included tip amounts?

phoenix_dream

I was under the impression that the butler would share in the all included tip amounts when sailing in suites.  I've been told recently that they may not be.  Can anyone confirm one way or another whether they are included in the all included tip pool?  And can you advise where you got your information (not doubting anyone - just want to know where that information is as I have never seen it in writing unless I missed it).

Please - let's not get into tip extra or not - just want to know for sure if they are included or not so I can plan accordingly.  Thank you!

A small amount of tips is set aside for the cabin attendants and butlers  We always tip additional for great service- varies but typically $20 per day.    You need to determine how the service from your butler is. 

Edited by Cruise a holic

I appreciate the polite responses.  

But can anyone tell me for sure if the butler tips are included in the all included tip pool or not?

I always thought they were because the tip amounts are higher for suites, but as I'm being told something else I want to try to find out for sure.  

Just now, WestLakeGirl said:

Being told by whom?

Someone in a place I am not allowed to name here.  They also said they heard this information directly from butlers.  I'm not trying to argue with them - just want to know for sure one way or another so I can tip accordingly.

Actually you are allowed to name the site, just not groups within it that “compete” with this one.  But back to your question, the butlers are i cluded in the pre-paid gratuities, but not at a very large amount.  Suite gratuities are more than non suite, but not by much.

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

They also said they heard this information directly from butlers.

That right there would give me pause. I would definitely NOT change my tipping amounts because a TA heard it from butlers. Where else would the extra $5pp/pd go besides the Retreat staff?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Actually you are allowed to name the site, just not groups within it that “compete” with this one.  But back to your question, the butlers are i cluded in the pre-paid gratuities, but not at a very large amount.  Suite gratuities are more than non suite, but not by much.

Not disagreeing with your information, but can you share how you know this?  I don't want to assume it just because the tips are higher, as they might be higher to include Retreat lounge staff, more Luminae staff, etc..

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Again, just looking for confirmation as to whether they are or not.  I actually don't assume my source is correct as it goes against everything I've always heard and I've sailed Celebrity for more than 75 cruises.  But if I'm wrong I'd like to know once and for all.

Yes, butlers are included in the gratuities for suites.  Refer to this post with a breakdown from guest services.  Although it is an older post with different gratuity amounts, you will note the butler is included.

Gratuity for Cabin Steward not included for Retreat Guests? - Celebrity Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

6635790F-5223-4D82-94F2-E60A6717961E.thumb.jpeg.d9d9c2a2c7e8fe0df96831eae7dbaa9a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Next time you are on a ship ask the head of Guests Services, the Retreat Manager, or the Hotel Director.

That way you will have an answer and can  adjust any tip you may give accordingly.

Good idea to confirm it is as stated.  I always ask in Luminae who is included in the extra tip pool there as sometimes the Maitre d is, and sometimes he/she isn't.  Same for the sommelier, although I think they are usually able to keep any extra tips given to them.

28 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Again, just looking for confirmation as to whether they are or not.  I actually don't assume my source is correct as it goes against everything I've always heard and I've sailed Celebrity for more than 75 cruises.  But if I'm wrong I'd like to know once and for all.

When you are onboard, can you ask the butler?

- Joel

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Probably not the most reliable source as they would know their tip could be impacted by their answer.  

Exactly, although I would hope the majority were honest.  The person who I was discussing this with said that their butler(s) had told them they were not included in the all included tip pool.  Could be anything - the butler not fully understanding the question, the butler deliberately misleading, the person not explaining it correctly or fully, or as simple as someone deliberately posting bad information on the internet, which we know can always be believed🙂(although in this case I don't think it was that based on the history or their other posts)

21 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Good idea to confirm it is as stated.  I always ask in Luminae who is included in the extra tip pool there as sometimes the Maitre d is, and sometimes he/she isn't.  Same for the sommelier, although I think they are usually able to keep any extra tips given to them.

The Luminae wait staff are included in the gratuties.  The sommelier is not. 

Not 100% sure about the Maitre'd but have been informed by more than one that any tips given to the Maitre'd went into the pool shared by the wait staff, the same as giving tips directly to the wait staff. 

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

The Luminae wait staff are included in the gratuties.  The sommelier is not. 

Not 100% sure about the Maitre'd but have been informed by more than one that any tips given to the Maitre'd went into the pool shared by the wait staff, the same as giving tips directly to the wait staff. 

I always ask the hostess so I know for sure. I have been told different things on different ships.  The sommelier I think has always been separate.  But the maitre d is sometimes included but not always, at least as I've been told by the hostesses. Best to ask to make sure.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:17 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Same for the sommelier, although I think they are usually able to keep any extra tips given to them.

The sommelier is part of bar staff so earns their tips from individual drink gratuities and drink package gratuities (which I understand includes the drink package that is part of AI).  They do not receive any portion of the daily gratuities. 

This all very confusing and I doubt anyone on CC really knows the answer.

We've asked many Staff, including a Hotel Mgr, about the gratuity distribution in specialty restaurants, elite breakfast in Tuscan Grill, Stateroom Attendant, and the most reliable answer ( IMO ) is:

If you provide cash in an envelope or directly into the hand of your Server or Room Attendant they are allowed to keep it for themselves.

If you add it on as " Additional Tip " located at the bottom of the bill, it goes into the gratuity pool.

Therefore, I assume the same would apply with the Butler--- whether they are part of the AI or not.

" plan accordingly " ? For what ?? To save a few $$ ??

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

The sommelier is part of bar staff so earns their tips from individual drink gratuities and drink package gratuities (which I understand includes the drink package that is part of AI).  They do not receive any portion of the daily gratuities. 

I agree.  I am talking about extra money above and beyond any included tips.

42 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

This all very confusing and I doubt anyone on CC really knows the answer.

We've asked many Staff, including a Hotel Mgr, about the gratuity distribution in specialty restaurants, elite breakfast in Tuscan Grill, Stateroom Attendant, and the most reliable answer ( IMO ) is:

If you provide cash in an envelope or directly into the hand of your Server or Room Attendant they are allowed to keep it for themselves.

If you add it on as " Additional Tip " located at the bottom of the bill, it goes into the gratuity pool.

Therefore, I assume the same would apply with the Butler--- whether they are part of the AI or not.

" plan accordingly " ? For what ?? To save a few $$ ??

No need to be insulting.  I shouldn't even bother responding, but for the record, when I say "plan accordingly" I mean I want to make sure I know who splits the money when I hand it over at the end of the cruise.  That way I can plan accordingly and make sure I brought enough cash so as to give extra money directly to whoever is not included in the pool that is split (in Luminae for example).  And if the butler is not included in the included tip money (which by answers above I now know they are), I can make sure that I tip him/her more.  I want to make sure I don't tip too little.  So at the end of the day, the exact opposite of what you are suggesting is my motive.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I shouldn't even bother responding

Thank you for responding-- I must say I read and misinterpreted your post.

What prompted my response was the numerous threads about Gratuities , especially the one regarding whether a gratuity is included in room service where there was quite a debate and the impression I was left with was that " It's included, so why should I tip any more "?

As we both know and appreciate the hard work the Staff does for us and to not tip for room service is certainly not the way I treat Staff-- and, you appear to be the same.

With that, I now understand your post --- you are " bang on ".

• Like 1