Candy for the Crew

2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

And if you weren't there, what would she have done?  Taken the $5 and got a co worker to get it for her.  What did she do with sea sickness before you came?  

It doesn't matter if it's OTC or prescription.  Never a good idea to buy pills for someone.  

@pcur addressed this specifically in her post.  "I got her a 250 pill bottle of nondrowsy meclizine, because the itinerary was repeated every week.  The ship gave her Dramamine and she could barely keep her eyes open." 

The ship was GIVING her Dramamine.  pcur GAVE her meclizine.

R.I.F.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

@pcur addressed this specifically in her post.  "I got her a 250 pill bottle of nondrowsy meclizine, because the itinerary was repeated every week.  The ship gave her Dramamine and she could barely keep her eyes open." 

The ship was GIVING her Dramamine.  pcur GAVE her meclizine.

R.I.F.  

I understand that.  I still stand by my statement of not getting medication for anyone.  My preference as I indicated earlier would be to give the $5 for the medication.  If pcur choses to do so, fine.  I would not given the same circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don’t know why some people get all riled up about cash versus candy or both. If people want to give candy with an extra tip, then so be it. If they want to give candy without an extra cash tip, then so be it. It’s up to them to decide what or how they want to tip. Some people don’t add any additional tips and some take off the gratuities that Royal adds. It is what it is.

Quite true, but then if an opinion is not desired then it shouldn't be opened up for discussion on a public forum.  Or, who knows, perhaps all of these type threads are really more about feather ruffling.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Think about this.  Crew are professionals.  Just as you consider yourself a professional at your place/vocation of work.  Do you want to be paid in "candy?" I sure don't!  Give them the extra gratuity in currency!

You made my day - “Do you want to be paid in candy” plus a previous poster who said “Candy doesn’t pay the rent”….these are the wisest comments made on this thread.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pcur said:

A.  Meclizine is the same ingredient as the Dramamine the ship was giving her, only the slightly more expensive non-drowsy formula.  It is also OVER THE COUNTER, not prescription.

B.  She was not able to get off the ship to buy it herself, and I bought it for her.

C.  I am not an idiot.

I gave some crew a box of Bonine for motion sickness, they were VERY appreciative. It's something they all absolutely like getting, even if they don't need it, some of the crew mates will! 

14 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I understand that.  I still stand by my statement of not getting medication for anyone.  My preference as I indicated earlier would be to give the $5 for the medication.  If pcur choses to do so, fine.  I would not given the same circumstances.

The ship gives out meclizine to cruise passengers for free. They don't ask anyone's medical history.

Instead of candy or stuff that takes up room, what about adding a door magnet to your cash tip? People have a lot of these and it won't take up space inside the cabin. Or an over the door shoe holder (once you are done with it, of course) to stash all the customer gifts.

Candy can be dangerous and insulting.

On 7/19/2023 at 10:10 AM, seashells said:

Otherwise the short answer is...Manners...And "THAT written Comment Card" along with a "Hand written personal "Thank You" in an envelope with Cash MONEY!

Some good observations about what the crew want and need.  See my post #50 re the handwritten notes.

57 minutes ago, marci22 said:

The ship gives out meclizine to cruise passengers for free. They don't ask anyone's medical history.

When I have gone and received medication at the medical center, I was asked if I had taken before or if I had had a reaction to any medications.  

Regardless the point was give the crew member $5 to buy their own medication rather than give it to them.  If you want to do that, fine.  I would rather hand them money.

26 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

When I have gone and received medication at the medical center, I was asked if I had taken before or if I had had a reaction to any medications.  

I'm only talking about meclizine. You can get it right at GS. 

26 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I'm only talking about meclizine. You can get it right at GS. 

Gotcha.  I have never needed it fortunately and thought it had to be disposed of via medical.  

So although I would really like this particular subject to rest and am aware I'm prolonging it, I am curious as to why the staff member just didn't get the non drowsy from the ship if it is available.  I know you weren't the original person who gave their story about the 250 pills.  

Then again, I think I will leave it with I would rather give cash and a good rating instead of physical objects.  

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Regardless the point was give the crew member $5 to buy their own medication rather than give it to them.  If you want to do that, fine.  I would rather hand them money.

The point was that the crew member could not access it themselves. They probably had $5. Not every problem is handled by throwing money at it. We all understand that you don’t hand over unidentifiable pills or Px meds. Hopefully you never get a sudden migraine and the person next to you on an excursion has OTC meds but refuses to give them to you. 

Some people are able to think and go the extra mile and some aren’t. It’s called compassion.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, teddie said:

I'm an RN.  You can bet your precious cash on me picking up a requested medication for a sick crewmember.

As a RN, are you encouraging people to share and dispense medications? It clearly does not sound proper or reasonable to be handing out meds. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

As a RN, are you encouraging people to share and dispense medications? It clearly does not sound proper or reasonable to be handing out meds. 

So at work, if someone mentions they have a headache, you don't say "Oh, I've got some ibuprofen you can try!"  I've shared medicines with people and had people give me meds (OTC ones of course).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So at work, if someone mentions they have a headache, you don't say "Oh, I've got some ibuprofen you can try!"  I've shared medicines with people and had people give me meds (OTC ones of course).

Actually, when the physician I work with comes up to me and says, "Teddie, I have a headache.  You have any of that fake Advil?" Yes. I will give it to him. If an acquaintance asks me for it, certainly I will.  Prescription not required.

Edited by teddie

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Actually, at my place of employment, employees are strongly encouraged not to dispense any meds, including OTC ibuprofen, because in our litigious world, it creates a liability for the employee and the company (since it is done on company premises). Anyone wanting OTC meds are encouraged to see the company nurse (or a band aid for a paper cut). All self-administered first aid kits were removed long ago after industry law suits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, teddie said:

Actually, when the physician I work with comes up to me and says, "Teddie, I have a headache.  You have any of that fake Advil?" Yes. I will give it to him. If an acquaintance asks me for it, certainly I will.  Prescription not required.

Inquiring minds want to know, what is “fake” Advil? 😆

55 minutes ago, teddie said:

I'm an RN, and you can bet your precious cash on me picking up a requested medication for a sick crewmember.

What is the story with this post??  Zero compassion, cynical replies, fearfulness to help others in need, and over-fixation on money when all someone wants to do is make a kindly gesture.  Oh.  I forgot the spelling corrections and the analysis that gift-givers are only in it for their own self-congratulations.

I'm disgusted and I hope the mods close this thread soon!

Teddie

Again, you do what you want.  I will give cash and a good review.