Is it me or are the beef offerings low quality?

jameslee

I tried the roast beef , prime rib from princesss buffet and dinner room but it seems quality is not as good as choice beef from Vons or Kroger. Seems like the beef has been frozen for a long time. The fat does not melt but usually hard other meats are fine

• Like 2

It's not you.  I stopped ordering beef a long time ago.  However, I did have the best filet at the Bistro del Sur, but that's gone by the wayside to make room for Rudi's Catch. I am looking forward to Rudi's, as I like seafood, and that's usually my first choice when dining out.

This has been discussed on and off over past 6-8 months.  Here is a recent thread about food: 

There are varying opinions with some stating things are better now than six months ago.  I don't have any recent experience, but was not impressed with the food quality on Regal last October (and wouldn't count that as today without an update).  Island was better. 

I certainly felt the quality of beef cut was not was it used to be.  

I can no longer pin point that exact year (failing memory) but at least approximately 2-4 years prior to COVID, Princess had switched beef suppliers and the quality had declined noticeably since the switch. Perhaps someone who keeps up with PCL's operations more closely can shed more light.

Very interesting experiences.  I’ve been on 5 cruises since the restart.  I’ve had the prime rib each time.  Every one was very good.  I thought Princess correctly nailed how all their meats were cooked.  I don’t eat the chicken dishes.  The beef medallions were always tender.  

7 hours ago, jameslee said:

I tried the roast beef , prime rib from princesss buffet and dinner room but it seems quality is not as good as choice beef from Vons or Kroger. Seems like the beef has been frozen for a long time. The fat does not melt but usually hard other meats are fine

IDK if your experience is recent or what ships, but I’ve noticed on the last 3 cruises it has gotten better in 2023 in the MDR.  

The buffet, it was a hit and miss for us and of course the WMD, Balcony Dinner and 360 had the best quality of beef.

To be fair, we don’t eat in the buffet very often for dinner.  

Ships also seem to vary, but it is better than in 2022 IMO.

• Thanks 1

I tried a filet and prime rib and thought they were both good. My wife ordered a strip loin and found it tough.  It’s such a small sample, I cannot extrapolate to every serving of beef on an entire cruise line. 

• Like 1

So much depends on the chef. The same dish or meat can vary greatly. Was on Grand for 39 days this spring, and found the food to be extremely repetitive and not very good. The same dishes on the Enchanted in February were much better. Do the larger ships get better quality food, or do the source countries supply different quality? Maybe, but I think some chefs are better than others with the resources they have.

45 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

So much depends on the chef. The same dish or meat can vary greatly. Was on Grand for 39 days this spring, and found the food to be extremely repetitive and not very good. The same dishes on the Enchanted in February were much better. Do the larger ships get better quality food, or do the source countries supply different quality? Maybe, but I think some chefs are better than others with the resources they have.

I think if you start with a low quality piece of meat, there is nothing one can do to make it better.

• Like 4

Both the prime rib and roast beef on Princess can vary greatly from cruise to cruise. It stops me from ordering a larger slice in the DR as it might turn out to be really tough or tasteless. 

Saving that, on our last 2 or 3 cruises it hasn't been that bad. 

2 hours ago, tillys mom said:

You nailed it exactly. We have had both surprisingly good and (Crown recently) and terrible (Royal Jan 2023). It varies. We also sailed on the Majestic 3 times in 2022 and the 3rd time was different in some food preparations in the MDR. There was a different chef.

Edited by sunviking90

45 minutes ago, LouCoop said:

@sunviking90@tillys mom This has been our experience also. Had the same dish in MDR on three different ships in 2023 and all were different from very good to mediocre. I do believe the chef makes a difference. 

Agree. A couple examples. Most here have eaten, or at least aware of, the grill on the Lido deck. Used to be Salty Dog Grill and Neptune before that...whatever.  The guy at the grill often mashes the burger patties, drying the beef. Same quality beef, probably never frozen, but ruined by a poorly trained new hire.

Remember after Covid restart, Celebrity cruises had a problem with their wines as they had been stored for a year with corks up, letting air in. Same wine, stored by people not trained properly.

Why the OP suspected the beef had been frozen was not made clear, but it it had been frozen, roasted beef would be dry after ice crystals damage beef tissues. Too low a temp cooking would cause the solid fat.

I think they are staffing who they can get. Not properly trained. That's the reason people are having different experiences. Not the sourcing.

Edited by mtnesterz

12 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I think they are staffing who they can get. Not properly trained. 

Prime Example,

Salty Dog Grill, Enchanted Princess....watched one of the cooks pick up a couple of raw chicken breasts and put them on the grill....and without washing hands, then handle burger buns and tomato slices.

9 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Prime Example,

Salty Dog Grill, Enchanted Princess....watched one of the cooks pick up a couple of raw chicken breasts and put them on the grill....and without washing hands, then handle burger buns and tomato slices.

Eww, that’s a horrible example of dangerous cross contamination. I would have reported that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Remember after Covid restart, Celebrity cruises had a problem with their wines as they had been stored for a year with corks up, letting air in. Same wine, stored by people not trained properly.

News to me, but inexcusable as last I heard, X has supposed wine experts on the ships.  You would think they would be storing them flat.  Sheesh. 

ETA:  Not near as bad as the raw chicken story I just read above.

Edited by Steelers36

Guess it's all subjective but I have LOVED the beef offerings on our Regal, Grand Princess and Sky Princess cruises.  I had read so many complaints about the beef prior to our Sky cruise from Southampton that I was expecting the worst.  Didn't happen.