Viking final payment 22 month out

MagnoliaBlossom

On 7/18/2023 at 3:25 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Yes, I saw Vikings 2025 dates and because prior to out cancelled cruise I had researched adnauseum the other lines and finally just settled on Viking.  They seemed to check all the boxes, we’re in out budget and several friends raved about them.

obviously I didn’t know about some of the other lines suggested above and I’ve spent the afternoon reviewing them, so when their 2025 dates are out we’ll be ready.   We have so much packed into 2024 it’s just not possible to shoehorn anything else in (unless maybe I winPower Ball tonight).

does anyone here have thoughts about Gate 1?

thank you all.

Just a suggestion....look at Viva cruises as well.  Great prices, a little less provided as far as tours but if you can manage things somewhat independently it might be a good option for you.  I'm actually looking at them for a 2025 Christmas cruise.

We too booked a cruise for October 2025 on Viking. Our final payment date is 12/23 so also 22 months in advance. Our TA was not able to get anywhere with them. The only reason we agreed was we had over $1800 in vouchers which were set to expire if we didn't use them somewhere. I'm on some of the Viking Groups on social media and I can't believe how these people defend every egregious policy that Viking has. I've been on 2 of their river cruises and 1 ocean cruise and this 2025 will definitely be my last.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Virgo61 said:

We too booked a cruise for October 2025 on Viking. Our final payment date is 12/23 so also 22 months in advance. Our TA was not able to get anywhere with them. The only reason we agreed was we had over $1800 in vouchers which were set to expire if we didn't use them somewhere. I'm on some of the Viking Groups on social media and I can't believe how these people defend every egregious policy that Viking has. I've been on 2 of their river cruises and 1 ocean cruise and this 2025 will definitely be my last.

That policy, back when it was 12 months,gave Viking 8-10 mo.ths of their annual revenue in cash on hand  to fund their massive e building of first river boats and now ocean cruiseships.

Further extension after the restart gives them more cash o  hand to pay of their debts sooner

10 hours ago, Virgo61 said:

Enjoy your cruise, but in the meanwhile research other cruiselines here. 

23 hours ago, Virgo61 said:

We are Viking fans.  We do NOT vigorously defend their final payment policy--we hate it as much as you do.  For us it's a case of begrudgingly accepting it because we like their product.  We've had to pay 5 months out and 10 months out.  Believe me, we have travel insurance not purchased from Viking!

Edited by sharkster77

8 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

We are Viking fans.  We do NOT vigorously defend their final payment policy--we hate it as much as you do.  For us it's a case of begrudgingly accepting it because we like their product.  We've had to pay 5 months out and 10 months out.  Believe me, we have travel insurance not purchased from Viking!

My S-i-L wouldn't believe me when I mentioned Viking's payment policy, as they are also big fans. They also usually book the year they are travelling, so never really noticed much. Last year, they decided to book for a cruise this fall, and were surprised that yes, they did have to pay well in advance. Like you, they enjoy Viking's product, so decided to go ahead. 

Just now, Virgo61 said:
1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

I would not say that we don’t like Viking but I believe we see them through realistic eyes. When I say that this will be our last Viking cruise it’s mainly because I don’t think we will do any more River cruises. If we change our minds, I would probably book through them. As for ocean cruises, their product is very good except for the shore excursion booking process. There are mainstream lines that we like just as much as Viking so we are more likely to book there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 9:24 AM, sharkster77 said:

At this point if you cancel, aren't you just out the $25 pp deposit?  All things considered, that's not a huge amount to forfeit.

On 7/18/2023 at 1:20 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Yes, just $50 total.  🤗

We have cruised many many ocean cruises but wanted to try a river cruise and also saw Vikings $25 deposit.  We decided our budget could stand a Nov. 2024, river cruise and booked with the $50 deposit.

Then I learn our balance payment is by Sept. 30, 2023.  YIKES I had no idea we had to pay so early,

but they say you really don't lose it till under 120 days out which is a July, 2024, date and that starts the percentage loses of the price as the date gets closer. 

So not a fan of paying so early but thinking this is there policy and is what it is.   On the multiple times I have asked questions on their site, just wanting to make sure I understand;  I stated to them "So we would lose our deposit of $50 and all else we paid would come back if we cancel before that July, 2024 date?"  They said "Oh no you lose $100 each total $200."  I argue that our deposit is $50 so why would we lose the $200?   They state that if we cancel before the final payment of Sept. 30, 2023, then we would lose the $50.  BUT if we pay the balance payment it then goes to loss of $100 each if we cancel before the July, 2024 date. 

I realize this is not the end of the world in price to lose that but just crazy policy if you ask me!!!  So the $25 each really only is good for about 45 days for us from booking and when they are asking for the balance payment. 

If the anyone else talked to a different representative on chat and they told them it would be the

$50 loss if you cancelled under their 120 day start of loss time, I would love to hear it!  Maybe I had a confused rep. 

Thanks for having patience with us new river cruisers! 

Honestly their 120 day penalty isn't that bad, other than having to pay up front so early.  Thats usually when Im making the final payment to AMAWaterways but their stated cancellation penalty at that point is $200 PER PERSON for Europe (more for the other destinations).

The real issue here is asking for full payment so far out.

2023–2025 RIVER CRUISE AND AIR SAVINGS: Offer applies to bookings made from August 1-31, 2023. $25 Deposit offer available on all 2023-2025 Viking River Cruises. Special savings plus FREE airfare valid on select departures of Capitals of Eastern Europe; Grand European Tour; Lyon, Provence & the Rhineland; Magnificent Mekong . Airfares may vary on other gateways & departures. Airfare does not have to be purchased to get cruise\cruisetour offer. All prices are in US dollars and for US residents only. Additional restrictions may apply. 2023: Pay in full by August 31, 2023 or at time of booking if within 120 days of departure. 2024: Pay in full by September 30, 2023. 2025: Pay in full by March 31, 2024. Offers expires August 31, 2023.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

Looking at July 2025 and saw the March due date for the grand European tour. 16 months in advance. Crazy. That being said, we like the idea of true balconies vs french balconies (maybe we shouldn't but on ocean cruises we always get a balcony, this is our first river cruise) and have friends who want the Big suites at the back of the  ship.

Are there equivalent tours on other lines with full balconies and big suite? Looks like Avalon and AMA only have french balconies? Haven't heard of he other lines and haven't researched yet.

4 minutes ago, geepmaley said:

Looking at July 2025 and saw the March due date for the grand European tour. 16 months in advance. Crazy. That being said, we like the idea of true balconies vs french balconies (maybe we shouldn't but on ocean cruises we always get a balcony, this is our first river cruise) and have friends who want the Big suites at the back of the  ship.

Are there equivalent tours on other lines with full balconies and big suite? Looks like Avalon and AMA only have french balconies? Haven't heard of he other lines and haven't researched yet.

AMA's newer ships have both French and real balconies (in the same cabin).

Scenic ships have a wide range of cabins and suites, including some very nice (and very Big) ones.

Those are the ones I'm familiar with.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, geepmaley said:

That being said, we like the idea of true balconies vs french balconies (maybe we shouldn't but on ocean cruises we always get a balcony, this is our first river cruise) and have friends who want the Big suites at the back of the  ship.

Most cruising is done in the evening or at night. Any scenic daytime cruising is much better viewed from the sundeck. Remember that a river cruise ship is very small, and it is a simple matter to get from your cabin to the sundeck to enjoy any view from a 360 degree perspective. Also, because the width of the ship is determined by the size of the locks, any balcony takes away from the width of the cabin.

As to the big suites, I have never sailed on Viking, but from my reading here some people have found them very noisy, because they are above the engines.

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

AMA's newer ships have both French and real balconies (in the same cabin).

I have sailed in an AMA twin balcony cabin, and find that neither the real balcony nor the French balcony are large enough to be useful.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 7:32 AM, Virgo61 said:

Not sure I understand this response.  Apparently you have some issues with Viking in general ... "every egregious" policy seems to indicate that the problems go well beyond their "pay in full by" one.  I am a loyal Viking cruiser (21 and counting) and understand why some might not like their payment schedule policy, but understand that this is the way it is and if I wasn't okay with it I would take my business elsewhere.  I am not "defending" this policy ... it's just not an issue for me.  We pay in full when we book ... that works for us and so the payment schedule isn't an issue.  It's as simple as that.  

Switching to back to trip insurance, The main attraction of the Viking policy is the cancel for any reason coverage with a cruise that is still almost two years away. With third party its limited typically to 75% of the coverage cost (I guess you could bump it up, but they might want receipts) vs 100% for Viking

But you have to pay in full for Viking policy when you buy it, right? And then if you change things you forfeit that and have to buy a new policy? Maybe I got that wrong

Has anyone done a third party policy where you cover the $200 or $250 deposit only to lock in the pre-existing condition (and CFAR if you go that route), then up the amount when you make final payment?

7 hours ago, molymoo said:

Not sure I understand this response.  Apparently you have some issues with Viking in general ... "every egregious" policy seems to indicate that the problems go well beyond their "pay in full by" one.  I am a loyal Viking cruiser (21 and counting) and understand why some might not like their payment schedule policy, but understand that this is the way it is and if I wasn't okay with it I would take my business elsewhere.  I am not "defending" this policy ... it's just not an issue for me.  We pay in full when we book ... that works for us and so the payment schedule isn't an issue.  It's as simple as that.  

To each his own.

On 8/22/2023 at 6:30 PM, gnome12 said:

Most cruising is done in the evening or at night. Any scenic daytime cruising is much better viewed from the sundeck. Remember that a river cruise ship is very small, and it is a simple matter to get from your cabin to the sundeck to enjoy any view from a 360 degree perspective. Also, because the width of the ship is determined by the size of the locks, any balcony takes away from the width of the cabin.

As to the big suites, I have never sailed on Viking, but from my reading here some people have found them very noisy, because they are above the engines.

I have sailed in an AMA twin balcony cabin, and find that neither the real balcony nor the French balcony are large enough to be useful.

If I can plug AMAMagna for just that reason, though regrettably they didnt do it with the "normal" balcony rooms(or the 1st floor fixed ones), the SA and above cabins are about twice as long as a normal room (as the ship is almost twice as wide) I wont say the balcony is huge, but you don't notice the balcony space being chopped out of the living space.  Though yes thats only one ship and only on the Danube.

Scenic don’t do ‘french balconies’  but do have a ‘happy’ medium where full balconies are concerned. (Although no balconies in Aquarium/Swans view cabins, as on all vessels - I hope). 

The balcony is separated from the main cabin by a bifold door, there are also two curtains hung together, one beige and one dark (black out) so it is entirely possible to leave the bi-fold open hence no so called loss of space. The raise and lower glass screen on the upper half of the balcony is a nifty innovation when lowered the air con automatically switches off one of their nods to a greener environment. Yes of course Jazz I also enjoy a larger cabin if not available (which has happened) I go for the Diamond deck, more forward if possible. If you can’t sort them out (and why should you) ask your butler to sort it but remember to ask him/her or yourself to remind your best friend on the crew during your cruise your cabin steward not to close it.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:08 AM, geepmaley said:

Switching to back to trip insurance, The main attraction of the Viking policy is the cancel for any reason coverage with a cruise that is still almost two years away. With third party its limited typically to 75% of the coverage cost (I guess you could bump it up, but they might want receipts) vs 100% for Viking

But you have to pay in full for Viking policy when you buy it, right? And then if you change things you forfeit that and have to buy a new policy? Maybe I got that wrong

Has anyone done a third party policy where you cover the $200 or $250 deposit only to lock in the pre-existing condition (and CFAR if you go that route), then up the amount when you make final payment?

If you change a trip but keep the same booking number, the policy follows along and you don't have to buy a new one.  For example, you have a river cruise in 2024 going to Bordeaux and you want to change to a Grand European cruise later.  You call Viking and tell them what you want to do, and they change it.  We have only done this more than 120 days in advance so before penalties kick in.  This might not be allowed closer in.

You can also do this changing from ocean to river and vice versa.  If the new cruise costs more, you pay the difference.  If it costs less, you get a refund.

However, if you cancel a cruise, its insurance policy is gone.  If you later, even in the same call, book a different cruise, you have to buy a 2nd policy.  How you phrase it makes a difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 6:59 AM, molymoo said:

We just decided to book a December 2026 Egypt cruise on Viking yesterday and was shocked to see an October 31, 2024 final payment date! Rather than jumping in, we put a 72hr hold on it and then called to make sure it was correct.  They said yes. 

We are planning to do pre and post add-ons to the cruise which adds another 10K to the total.  Do you know if those can be added on at a later date?   I'd rather not pay all $30K so early but would be fine paying 20K in Oct '24 and adding the other add-on's sometime in 2025 and paying those at that time.

Since you've done quite a bit on Viking do you have any thoughts/experience on adding things after?  Thanks..

Edited by JandC_Cruising

2 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

We just decided to book a December 2026 Egypt cruise on Viking yesterday and was shocked to see an October 31, 2024 final payment date! Rather than jumping in, we put a 72hr hold on it and then called to make sure it was correct.  They said yes. 

We are planning to do pre and post add-ons to the cruise which adds another 10K to the total.  Do you know if those can be added on at a later date?   I'd rather not pay all $30K so early but would be fine paying 20K in Oct '24 and adding the other add-on's sometime in 2025 and paying those at that time.

Since you've done quite a bit on Viking do you have any thoughts/experience on adding things after?  Thanks..

Did you consider other brands before you chose Viking? Was the price significantly less?

20 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

I would call and ask to speak to a supervisor and ask for a 12 month payment date.  The date you are getting is not right.

We have had people we have referred that want to travel with us given more than 12 month payment dates, and they asked/pushed for 12 months and got it.

If you cannot get it from one person call back and ask someone else.

I don't know what Viking is thinking with this, and it is not like they cannot resell the cabin even within the one year mark if you were to cancel.

Regardless of when you pay in Canada or the USA, there is no actual penalty imposed until 120 days out on a cruise like this, so you can still cancel and get all back but $100 per person 121 days before the cruise.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Yes, you can add extensions later ... only issue is the possibility that one or the other or both may be sold out when you are ready.  Not sure selling out is as much an issue with Egypt cruises as the ships hold a much smaller number of passengers.  We have added extensions "after the fact" more than once.  

• Like 1