Give me some ideas....

iceno9

Hi All,

I have been on 3 cruises to date, Caribbean, Alaska and Baltics - all with different companies and enjoyed each for different reasons. What I want from you all is some suggestions for our next trip.... 🙂

A little info..... I am early 40's and enjoy adventure travel, places that are abit different, scenic and that give a decent amount of time off the boat to explore the outdoors or cities. What i don't like are the 'fake' overpriced cruise owned places that you can't leave.

I want a cruise that caters to a younger crowd that doesn't feel like 'gods waiting room' with everyone over 70. That said, I don't want a boat full of kids running around either and I am not a all night partier....

Its great when the boat has things to do like a flow rider or climbing wall so we are not just lounging around, however with cruises already being expensive, I don't tend to pay for spa's, expensive dining etc....so an all in price would be great.

Cruise duration - optional, but i feel around 10 nights is about right.

I tend to travel with my wife and perhaps son who is a young adult. We live in Canada, but obviously could fly wherever

Really open for ideas..... tell me what you think would be the ideal next cruise for us and why.

Thanks in advance...

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Expeditions cruise

Norway  on smaller ship  where you may have more time in ports to explore the areas

Have look at this forum  maybe something will peak your interest

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2949643-small-cruise-shipswith-35-220-people-must-do/#comment-65771975

I love the idea of the clipper ship....BUT....... the wife doesn't. She enjoys the stability of a bigger ship to avoid getting sea sick.

Panama Canal

Quebec to Boston

Small Ships almost anywhere

UK circumnavigation

Any river cruise in Europe; Avalon has three activity levels to chose from every day.

Sailing with the old farts ain't that bad, you know ... they don't want to hike with you, 

but they can offer great conversation and very good company on the ship.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You seem to be a walking contradiction. You want adventure, but don't want a small ship (which is all you would have on an expedition cruise). You want flow riders and climbing walls but don't want to be around a lot of kids (who are the reason those features were built and who those ships cater to). You want a young demographic and no seniors but don't want a party atmoshere. You want an all inclusive cruise that isn't expensive. In 10 days. Best of luck with that. 

Maybe try a Med cruise while school is still in session, or Panama Canal partial transit (10 days isn't enough for a full transit). Or an Iceland/Norway cruise. Pacific, Asian, or Australian cruises, while adventurous, would pretty much all require more than 10 days. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, mom says said:

You seem to be a walking contradiction. You want adventure, but don't want a small ship (which is all you would have on an expedition cruise). You want flow riders and climbing walls but don't want to be around a lot of kids (who are the reason those features were built and who those ships cater to). You want a young demographic and no seniors but don't want a party atmoshere. You want an all inclusive cruise that isn't expensive. In 10 days. Best of luck with that. 

Maybe try a Med cruise while school is still in session, or Panama Canal partial transit (10 days isn't enough for a full transit). Or an Iceland/Norway cruise. Pacific, Asian, or Australian cruises, while adventurous, would pretty much all require more than 10 days. 

I can accept there may be some level of contradiction,  but i didn't say 'no' seniors,  indeed they can offer good conversation.... but i don't want a cruise that's heavily dominated by the senior crowd. 

The ship activities i mentioned were just examples,  i was trying to say i don't just want to just lounge around all day. 

10 days is not fixed.... just a good balance i guess

11 hours ago, iceno9 said:

Hi All,

I have been on 3 cruises to date, Caribbean, Alaska and Baltics - all with different companies and enjoyed each for different reasons. What I want from you all is some suggestions for our next trip.... 🙂

A little info..... I am early 40's and enjoy adventure travel, places that are abit different, scenic and that give a decent amount of time off the boat to explore the outdoors or cities. What i don't like are the 'fake' overpriced cruise owned places that you can't leave.

I want a cruise that caters to a younger crowd that doesn't feel like 'gods waiting room' with everyone over 70. That said, I don't want a boat full of kids running around either and I am not a all night partier....

Its great when the boat has things to do like a flow rider or climbing wall so we are not just lounging around, however with cruises already being expensive, I don't tend to pay for spa's, expensive dining etc....so an all in price would be great.

I tend to travel with my wife and perhaps son who is a young adult. We live in Canada, but obviously could fly wherever

Really open for ideas..... tell me what you think would be the ideal next cruise for us and why.

Thanks in advance...

It sounds like you could benefit from a consultation with a travel agent.  They can take your ideas, preferences, wants, and needs, and find you a (near) perfect match.  Well, they'll do better than we can do.

Here's my modest suggestion... if you haven't done the Eastern Caribbean already, try that.  Sail out of San Juan, PR, and you'll get 5 or 6 ports in 7 days.  The islands are all a little different, but all offer decent exploration and entertainment options.  The ships sailing from there tend to be old and small (but well maintained), but the medium-sized and brand new NCL Viva will be doing cruises from there starting in December '23.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 🙂

• Like 2

I suggest a Rock and Roll theme cruise.   

Let the music soothe your moral soul.   

And I'm not talking about the Jersey boys unless its Bon Jovi or the Boss.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, iceno9 said:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance...

You're looking for a unicorn.

Sit down and prioritize which of the items you list are most important vs. "nice wanna haves".  Is destination more important than ship vibe or vice versa? 

None of the mass market lines are likely to have such a narrowly defined target market as you want -- no kids AND younger adults. Celebrity might be close if you stick to sailings that are when the kiddies are in school. However, Celebrity has mostly what I'd call "sophisticated adult" amenities -- no water slides, pool parties, climbing walls, etc.

Also, none of the mass market lines will make you pay for specialty restaurants or for the spa -- that's completely voluntary.

Here's something to think about: cruise lines tend to put their newer, more interesting ships on their more "vanilla" itineraries. The older and/or smaller ships often get the more interesting itineraries.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JRG said:

I suggest a Rock and Roll theme cruise.   

Let the music soothe your moral soul.   

And I'm not talking about the Jersey boys unless its Bon Jovi or the Boss.

I've enjoyed my music themed cruises oh so much.  But I don't think it's quite what the OP is looking for.  I've done six so far and here are random pictures I took from all of them:

IMG_20211129_213540.thumb.jpg.40ea5cb0c3342f631b161391e003ef7d.jpgIMG_20220302_194615.thumb.jpg.ae4eb8145fe5cfaf62c0380e42940e35.jpgIMG_20220311_195445.thumb.jpg.4dcbc5d87e6fddf317f7683d6d639842.jpgIMG_20230227_145906.thumb.jpg.2e723272fa4adf5b6fcda6706e36f8b2.jpgIMG_20230309_184745(1).thumb.jpg.f0943a3c66c9f2ceecaf7c41fc67678d.jpgIMG_20230411_194040.thumb.jpg.cbd69ed3ff410d44d6767fc10a29b939.jpg

• Like 1

For mainly iconic cities, a Mediterranean cruise?

Perhaps one-way Rome to Venice or vice-versa (most ships no longer berth in Venice, so that involves a bus or train ride from somewhere like Ravenna or Trieste). Most include Greece, Greek islands and other Adriatic countries, are are about 10 days, and it's well worth adding on a few hotel days at each end.

April-into-May or September-into-October avoids the kids and the crowds and the heat.

Or Norway for the scenery, though it's much the same as Alaskan scenery - and IMHO one fjord is much the same as another  Few kids, but average age still below 90 😏

Some of your preferences I'd describe as unachievable rather than contradictory.

An all-in price wouldn't be great, unless you made good use of the inclusions. Which you wouldn't do if you spent time exploring the sights at the ports unless you took included ship's excursions, which I wouldn't describe as "adventurous. And it'd be a waste of the higher cruise ticket price if you don't drink much alcohol & don't use other included amenities which are an add-on cost on other ships.

Don't worry about cruiseline-owned islands or ports, I don't think there are any outside the Caribbean. 

Can't really help you with which ship or cruise line, it's different courses for different horses. 

You'll need to bend your preferences here and there, but I'm sure you'll find a few suitable compromises.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

6 hours ago, janetz said:

Virgin Voyages

They do seem to check a lot of the OP's boxes.  Kids aren't allowed.  Their ships are all nice and new.  Their price is more all-inclusive than most mainstream lines.  And they'll have a ship in the Eastern Caribbean starting late this year.  Not a bad place to start, I agree.

17 hours ago, mom says said:

10 days isn't long enough for a full transit departing from an returning to the US.

7 days is long enough for a full transit on itineraries that terminate closer to the Canal. For example, Windstar has 7 to 11 day itineraries that go from Aruba to Balboa Fuentes (Pacific end of the canal) or from Colon (Atlantic end of the canal) to Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica. I think Star Clippers has some too.

Edited by new_cruiser

8 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

It sounds like you could benefit from a consultation with a travel agent.  They can take your ideas, preferences, wants, and needs, and find you a (near) perfect match.  Well, they'll do better than we can do.

Here's my modest suggestion... if you haven't done the Eastern Caribbean already, try that.  Sail out of San Juan, PR, and you'll get 5 or 6 ports in 7 days.  The islands are all a little different, but all offer decent exploration and entertainment options.  The ships sailing from there tend to be old and small (but well maintained), but the medium-sized and brand new NCL Viva will be doing cruises from there starting in December '23.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 🙂

Another advantage of sailing out of San Juan or other Caribbean ports like Saint Martin or Barbados is that they usually stop at the heavily visited ports on light days. You aren't in ports inundated by hoardes off multiple mega-ships coming from Florida.

Some of these are on small ships so there aren't diversions like ice rinks or flow riders on board, but they usually have just one sea day and plenty of time in ports so you get your activity on shore.

Edited by new_cruiser
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, iceno9 said:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance...

Have you thought about a river cruise, or a Great Lakes cruise?

19 hours ago, iceno9 said:

I love the idea of the clipper ship....BUT....... the wife doesn't. She enjoys the stability of a bigger ship to avoid getting sea sick.

I've only done one cruise on Star Clippers so far (Thailand), but it was pretty stable. I didn't feel uncomfortable with the motion at any time. 

They have a lot of no solo supplement cruises which would be nice if your adult son wants to join you.

Windstar's ships are a bit larger and their motor yachts have stabilizers so you could try those first to work your way to smaller ships. I've been on their sail ships multiple times and haven't had motion issues on them either.