Basic questions

suekel

I've been doing my best to keep up on this board but I'm still confused about some basic things. I'm doing the TA on the Apex in November.  I have a concierge class infinite veranda.  Obviously my first Celebrity cruise, I'm elite on Princess.  

1.  The only place to eat lunch after embarkation is at the buffet?  I am concierge class so I know there is a lunch but the hours seem severely limited so it may not be available due to boarding time? Are there food places around the pool besides the buffet that serves lunch/snacks?

2.  Is there anyplace on board that serves food 24/7 similar to the International Cafe on Princess?

3.  I have not bought a specialty dining package.  How hard is it to make a reservation once onboard?

4.  Are any of the main dining rooms or specialty dining open for lunch on sea days?  Breakfast every day?

5.  My only option when I booked was for late seating 8:30 but I often read of people saying just show up and you'll get seated.  True or false?

6.  Since Celebrity now charges for room service (Boo), is it a decent menu if you want dinner in your cabin or on your balcony?

7.  With all my questions about food, how is the fitness center?  Is it open 24/7?

thank you so much! 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, suekel said:

I've been doing my best to keep up on this board but I'm still confused about some basic things. I'm doing the TA on the Apex in November.  I have a concierge class infinite veranda.  Obviously my first Celebrity cruise, I'm elite on Princess.  

1.  The only place to eat lunch after embarkation is at the buffet? 

the poolside grill will be open.

I am concierge class so I know there is a lunch but the hours seem severely limited so it may not be available due to boarding time?

possibly, possibly not.  This has been quite variable this year

Are there food places around the pool besides the buffet that serves lunch/snacks? Yes

21 minutes ago, suekel said:

2.  Is there anyplace on board that serves food 24/7 similar to the International Cafe on Princess?

no

3.  I have not bought a specialty dining package.  How hard is it to make a reservation once onboard?

varies a lot…no way to predict

4.  Are any of the main dining rooms or specialty dining open for lunch on sea days? 

MDR is open for lunch on sea days

Breakfast every day?

yes

5.  My only option when I booked was for late seating 8:30 but I often read of people saying just show up and you'll get seated.  True or false?

on e class ships this is probably so

6.  Since Celebrity now charges for room service (Boo), is it a decent menu if you want dinner in your cabin or on your balcony?

You should be able to view it on the app and decide for yourself if it is to your liking

7.  With all my questions about food, how is the fitness center?  Is it open 24/7? 
no it isn’t open 24/7

thank you so much! 

• Like 2

Those sailing in Concierge class have the option of lunch on embarkation day in the MDR.  Hours should show in the app, but generally I have seen from 12-1:30.

No 24 hour food venue.  Pizza and pasta from the buffet until 1 a.m.  Room Service  is available during the night - service charge applies.

Dining reservations can be difficult to book on board for some venues, particularly Eden and Fine Cut.   

There will be one of the MDRs open for breakfast daily and lunch on sea days.  

I believe it is anytime dining now no set dining. You can order the same items from all 4 MDRs so if 1 or 2 have a wait try the others.

we don’t order from Room Service often and not dinner so not sure about dinner items from RS.

I think the fitness center closes at 10 or 11 pm 

41 minutes ago, suekel said:

Obviously my first Celebrity cruise

When you first board the ship you can go directly to your stateroom, pick up your SeaPass cards (no medallions like with princess), drop off your carry on(s) if any. You are asked not to stay in your stateroom. Usually they'll announce staterooms are ready around 1:00PM. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suekel said:

I'm sailing first time on Eclipse next month.  I was able to book (and pay for) specialty dining restaurants weeks ago.  If you purchase a dining package, you specifically CANNOT book before boarding the cruise.  Check out available reservations now, unless it's different on the Apex than on the Eclipse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigAWL said:

I'm sailing first time on Eclipse next month.  I was able to book (and pay for) specialty dining restaurants weeks ago.  If you purchase a dining package, you specifically CANNOT book before boarding the cruise.  Check out available reservations now, unless it's different on the Apex than on the Eclipse.

I did that this morning.  I'm not sure if I'll book individual reservations,  I'm finding Celebrity to be much more expensive than Princess. With our before and after cruise planned, I can't justify the extra expense when I hear the MDR's are quite good. 

• Like 1

For your first Celebrity cruise, perhaps no specialties as with the added gratuity I feel they are overpriced. The exception would be Sushi (or Raw) on 5. This is Japanese, not just sushi by any means. And priced ala carte, we can eat there for around $50 for both of us.  You can google the menu and see options and prices. Also, the hamburger and dog Mast Grill is open daily at no charge. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 39august said:

For your first Celebrity cruise, perhaps no specialties as with the added gratuity I feel they are overpriced. The exception would be Sushi (or Raw) on 5. This is Japanese, not just sushi by any means. And priced ala carte, we can eat there for around $50 for both of us.  You can google the menu and see options and prices. Also, the hamburger and dog Mast Grill is open daily at no charge. 

There's an added gratuity?  Wow. that seems excessive.  If you have the premium drink package, does that include the gratuities no matter where you drink and dine?

2 hours ago, suekel said:

There's an added gratuity?  Wow. that seems excessive.  If you have the premium drink package, does that include the gratuities no matter where you drink and dine?

If you have the premium drinks package, gratuities are included..unless you go over the limit, which is pretty hard to do.  Then you pay the difference + 20%.  In all my Celebrity cruises I have never gone over the premium limit..and I drink the good stuff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

If you have the premium drinks package, gratuities are included..unless you go over the limit, which is pretty hard to do.  Then you pay the difference + 20%.  In all my Celebrity cruises I have never gone over the premium limit..and I drink the good stuff. 

Not the good wines.  They are over the premium limit.

The Celebrity app is very helpful. It will have hours and menus to view for each venue.  It even has a feature under dining that says "hungry now" so you can see what your options are at any time.  The daily paper you receive each night will also post all options for the next day.  You do not need reservations for the 4 "main" dining rooms.  Just show up at the podium when hungry.  During breakfast/lunch you will have many options (most included but some extra) .Eden Cafe, Spa Cafe, Ocean View (buffet), Mast Grill etc.  On embarkation day you can usually go to Spa Cafe, Ocean View or Mast Grill.  Possibly Eden Cafe as well.  Bistro is open for lunch usually as well but for an extra charge. 

On 7/25/2023 at 7:40 AM, davekathy said:

When you first board the ship you can go directly to your stateroom, pick up your SeaPass cards (no medallions like with princess), drop off your carry on(s) if any. You are asked not to stay in your stateroom. Usually they'll announce staterooms are ready around 1:00PM. 

I haven't sailed Celeb in about a decade, so maybe this changed. When you say "go to your room and pick up the Sea Pass cards" does that mean they have them in your room now? You don't get them at the counter when you check in at the port? How do you get in the room?

16 minutes ago, whataboutport said:

I haven't sailed Celeb in about a decade, so maybe this changed. When you say "go to your room and pick up the Sea Pass cards" does that mean they have them in your room now? You don't get them at the counter when you check in at the port? How do you get in the room?

They are in an envelope tucked behind the room number, right outside your door. No need to visit a counter first to get them😊

• Like 2

11 hours ago, maiaaya said:

They are in an envelope tucked behind the room number, right outside your door. No need to visit a counter first to get them😊

So is there a check in process when you arrive, and if so, what does it entail?

On 7/25/2023 at 6:56 AM, suekel said:

1.  The only place to eat lunch after embarkation is at the buffet?  I am concierge class so I know there is a lunch but the hours seem severely limited so it may not be available due to boarding time? Are there food places around the pool besides the buffet that serves lunch/snacks?

Le Grand Bistro ($30 prix fixe lunch) and Raw on Five (priced à la carte) are usually open lunch on embarkation day. The Spa Café and the Mast Grill are open for extended hours and complimentary.  Craft Social may have bar bites snacks for sale at lunch.

No, just room service.

Not hard if you do it's the first thing you do after boarding but your preferred date, time and venue may not be available. If you want Eden expect to find only really late times available and if more desirable times are available, all the better.  I usually book Eden six or more months ahead of time so I can get the times I want.

4.  Are any of the main dining rooms or specialty dining open for lunch on sea days?  Breakfast every day?

Yes, usually the Cosmopolitan MDR is open for breakfast and lunch on sea days. Eden Café is also open for breakfast and lunch most days, check schedule to find out. Raw on Five $$ and Le Grand Bistro $$ are open for lunch most days, sea or port.

Generally true but talk to the MDR Maître d' to confirm their latest policy.

You can look in the app at the room service menu and judge for you self.  The app will show you which dining venues are currently open on you are on board the ship.

yes, it's open 24/7, it's relativity new equipment and spacious.