Passenger with a white fluffy dog so called " service dog"

phillipahain

No, I am saying that Seabourn will allow certain ladies with certain white fluffy dogs to sail and to sail with you. Year on year, as reported here. We have all seen reports about this situation with the dog(s) off leash, being hand held and fed in dining areas, sitting on upholstery without a towel underneath their derrières, and occasionally have accidents of the human toddler type in public areas eg near elevators. No nappies to blame for those whoopsies.

I have seen on this and the earlier thread little or no justification for this - from Seabourn - apart from the business that certified dogs are OK. No matter how they may behave or you may find this disagreeable. Maybe some passengers don’t but I bet more than their number do. And I would add that it appears that Hotel Staff choose not to get involved in this mess - apart from cleaning up the aforementioned worst messes. Not even instruct the owner to leash her dog and keep it off the furnishings. This hands-off manner of dealing/actually not dealing with the specific anti-social behavior many complain about re deck chair reserving bullies…

Back to dogs and these people with their little white dogs, maybe they are better connected with the company than others? Who knows.

Edited by markham
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, Markham.  So, those on board with this - probably just the one - person and their dog have to put up with it, as she obviously has a lot of clout with Seabourn.  Otherwise, enough of them have to let SB know they will not travel with SB again to perhaps make management think again.  Not a very satisfactory situation.

Seabourn is not the only line that has had this issue in the past year+. I think it is a struggle due to ADA rules that people flout for their own advantage using false claims. The difference here seems to be that this is the same “privileged” woman being allowed to flout the rules. That only makes me wonder/think she has a high up connection someplace within the organization. 

3 hours ago, markham said:

Back to dogs and these people with their little white dogs, maybe they are better connected with the company than others? Who knows.

The people with the fluffy white dog were actually quite coarse.  The woman was vicious in harping at a very kind guide in Tromso.  These people HAD been told by SB staff that their dog had to be on a leash in Norway.  They ignored this directive.  Let's just say that they were not popular on the ship.  

Edited by SLSD

30 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Maybe the dog will chew on a plastic duck and choke.

I don't think you could possibly wish such a thing on an innocent animal.

If you had said "maybe the dog owner will chew on a plastic duck and choke", I'd be right there with you.  🤪

Edited by Basfla
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Maybe the dog will chew on a plastic duck and choke.

The dog is not at fault, so we wish the canine no ill will.  It is the owners who are somewhat crass and ill mannered.  We don't wish them ill either.  We just abhor their behavior.  

Has any fellow passenger actually given this crass self-entitled person a verbal what-for?

These types of people MAY back off on their selfish behavior if confronted. 

We have a selfish neighbor that used to allow her dogs to roam unleashed on our street but after we got into it with her she has since (1) kept her dogs off the streets, and (2) avoided us.

Edited by CalTexCruiser

38 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Has any fellow passenger actually given this crass self-entitled person a verbal what-for?

These types of people MAY back off on their selfish behavior if confronted. 

We have a selfish neighbor that used to allow her dogs to roam unleashed on our street but after we got into it with her she has since (1) kept her dogs off the streets, and (2) avoided us.

Seriously?  I don't think that's our place as Seabourn cruisers to confront anyone.  I personally witnessed the dog owners vicious verbal attack on a fine excursion guide.  Along with the rest of the Seabourn passengers, we left the room--and later gave our guide accolades, tipped him well, and offered our apologies for the crass behavior.  

• Like 2

To me and other long time Seabourn loyalists (Markham,  Mr. L, frantic, etc.) go back to when smoking was allowed in the Obs bar due to a certain lady who had well over 2500 nights sailing and smoked.  When Mrs. W no longer could sail the policy became what the rest of us  wanted. But I doubt these entitled dog owners have anywhere near those days and even if they do clearly this is offensive to everyone.  Let's see if the new management cares about 1 or all the rest of the clients.  I suggest we all send snail mail letters to Nataly about this.  

As multiple people on this board have said, including me, there are lots of competitors for your $$$$.  Vote with your bookings to try a line without a catering to an entitled person and their dog.

• Like 2

We should bear in mind that the offending person/people need not be long time SB cruisers; there are other reasons why some might 'qualify' for this special treatment.  Several things come to mind, but without wishing to make obvious suggestions, there are those who get treated as VIPs by lots of organisations, including cruise lines.  Use your imaginations.

I well remember Mrs .W, who almost lived on the ships, and her only offence was the smoking, which was infuriating to those of us who hate the smell, but otherwise she was completely ladylike and happy just to say good morning to us.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Sorry to confirm that there are plastic ducks. It's a thing currently. Hopefully a fleeting thing.

Never mind plastic ducks, some people have service ducks. Google service ducks, and you’ll see a few on airplanes 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

Never mind plastic ducks, some people have service ducks. Google service ducks, and you’ll see a few on airplanes 

I wish I hadn't looked but I imgine being seated next to a,service duck would be preferable to the infamous support peacock.

• Haha 3

On 8/19/2023 at 4:16 PM, Isklaar said:

I wish I hadn't looked but I imgine being seated next to a,service duck would be preferable to the infamous support peacock.

There are options for Service duck which may not be applicable to white fluffy Service Alternatives ...

images.jpeg.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MJN1 said:

There are options for Service duck which may not be applicable to white fluffy Service Alternatives ...

images.jpeg.jpg

Mo shu Pomeranian, fricassee of West Highland Terrier, General Tso's toy poodle...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/25/2023 at 4:22 PM, FlyerTalker said:

No...to these folks they are not pets.

They are members of the family.  They are their "fur babies" or "children" or any number of projections where the dog (or cat or whatever) takes on human characteristics and is filling the place of a real person.

They are DOGS and they are NOT service dogs!  Plain and simple. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2023 at 11:04 AM, whogo said:

Businesses have their hands tied, but I know of nothing that stops fellow cruisers from questioning or criticizing "service" dog owners. I witnessed a good old boy's interaction with a yipping, leash tugging little monster of a "service" dog.

"What an ill-mannered beast," said the good old boy.

"She's a service animal," huffed the owner.

"Yeah, I was talking to the dog about its inconsiderate, uncaring owner that hasn't properly trained the poor beast."

(I have bowdlerized the quote. You can imagine what he said instead of "beast" in describing the female dog.)

I’d do that. Unfortunately guest services would hear about it every. single. Day 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1