Blogging from the Sapphire Princess

PescadoAmarillo

1 hour ago, CynCyn said:

Thank goodness! Sending all of the love to you and your mom!

Thank you!  I tested positive for COVID the last night on the ship. Have started Paxlovid.  Need to fly back to Mom ASAP but can’t with COVID. It’s a bit of a mess.  But the cruise was great!

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I tested positive for COVID the last night on the ship. Have started Paxlovid.  Need to fly back to Mom ASAP but can’t with COVID. It’s a bit of a mess.  But the cruise was great!

🙏🏻😞🙏🏻

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Thank you!  I tested positive for COVID the last night on the ship. Have started Paxlovid.  Need to fly back to Mom ASAP but can’t with COVID. It’s a bit of a mess.  But the cruise was great!

Noooooooo

I'm so sorry to hear this!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I am so so sorry! Sending wishes for fast healing and a negative test!

• Like 1

@PescadoAmarillo I am so, so sorry to hear you have COVID. Sad ending to a wonderful cruise. It was great following along with you once more. 

Because of you 🥰 we are still in love with our South Pacific cruises. We switched over to HAL because they go to so many more islands and for 50 days. October 2 we embark on our 5th SP cruise since 2016. 

Take care! Get better so you can be with your Mom. 
Denise

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

So sorry to hear that you got COVID on the ship. I hope you recover quickly and can get to see your Mom ASAP. 🙏 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Nice to read you are going to sock it to the Covid. 

It's Sock it To Me Time! | Flower Power Cruise

• Like 1

This is my big fear on our upcoming 6 segment 63 day cruise. What happens if we test positive for Covid on an Australian cruise or on the 1st segment - which is a US based cruise - that ends in Sydney with all the remaining segments in Australia/New Zealand. Do they kick us off somewhere because we suddenly don't "qualify" for Australian cruises?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

So sorry to read this! Hope you recover soon. Take care. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

This is my big fear on our upcoming 6 segment 63 day cruise. What happens if we test positive for Covid on an Australian cruise or on the 1st segment - which is a US based cruise - that ends in Sydney with all the remaining segments in Australia/New Zealand. Do they kick us off somewhere because we suddenly don't "qualify" for Australian cruises?

Hopefully not because it seems for most folks a Covid positive situation isn't any worse than a common cold and even less than the common flu.  Haven't heard of them checking and stopping people for that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Oh no, that is happening to so many folks again (including me).  Mine hit while we were flying home from our cruise on the Regal Princess.  And it took me 16 days to finally test negative, I'm still feeling fatigued more than an month after it first hit.  It was my first time and anyone who says it's just a cold can go to you know where.  Anyway I hope you are lucky enough to have a mild case!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Hopefully not because it seems for most folks a Covid positive situation isn't any worse than a common cold and even less than the common flu.  Haven't heard of them checking and stopping people for that.

I have a number of friends with COVID right now and it is hitting them hard. Not hospital hard but they are out for 2+ weeks of work and still fatigued when they come back. They had really bad coughs, fevers and body aches. Most didn't take Paxlovid but wish they had.

@PescadoAmarillo I hope you feel better soon - hopefully with the medication, you will do well.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Hope you recover quickly and completely!  And prayers for Mom too!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have a number of friends with COVID right now and it is hitting them hard. Not hospital hard but they are out for 2+ weeks of work and still fatigued when they come back. They had really bad coughs, fevers and body aches. Most didn't take Paxlovid but wish they had.

@PescadoAmarillo I hope you feel better soon - hopefully with the medication, you will do well.

Yes.  Seems to be ramping up again.  Several on today’s tender rides wearing masks again.  Also a few chin maskers!

I read somewhere here on CC that someone was able to obtain Paxlovid ahead of time and had it with them. I'm not at all clear how one does that but it seems like a good idea if possible.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

So sorry to hear this Jeannie!!! 😞

I hope it's a mild case and you are better real soon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@azbirdmom and @Coral

Thank you for your posts.

Early in June on a Celebrity cruise , I experienced intestinal problems five days into the seven day cruise

I thought it was Noro or possible food poisoning. I did not think to test for Covid as I was having stomach issues, nothing respiratory.

My DH and I remained in the cabin self isolating for over 24 hours with room service.

My symptoms subsided, so we did go about on the ship for the last day.

When we returned home, after driving from the port, I was still not feeling great.

Tested and ,yes, I was positive for Covid.

I did not test negative until ten days after the initial test. I continued to feel week, no appetite and fatigued.

That fatigue lasted over a month.

When I called our family Dr, he said that stomach issues can be a symptom of Covid.

Since I apparently came down with it days after the guidelines for taking Paxlovid, he could not prescribe it for me.

He said it was a virus and I would need to ride it out , staying hydrated and getting rest.

I am thinking that I could have, unknowingly, affected people on the ship.

Therein lies the problem.

Passengers may not realize they have Covid or their symptoms are not typical of Covid or the symptoms are so mild that they continue to move about the ship, going to restaurants, bars, the theater etc.

Contracting Covid continues to be  a risk facing cruise passengers.

People can choose to cruise, knowing the risks.

After what I experienced, I am not keen on taking a cruise in the future.

Others may have a different perspective.

As to taking a supply of Paxlovid onboard , I am not sure of how one could get that from their family physician as it is a prescription drug.

I recall reading that Pescado Amarillo said she had Paxlovid on the ship which she took with her as a precaution.

Perhaps she would like to post how one could get the medication before cruising/traveling.

Hoping all who have posted here stay safe and well.

MJ

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

I read somewhere here on CC that someone was able to obtain Paxlovid ahead of time and had it with them. I'm not at all clear how one does that but it seems like a good idea if possible.

My doctor readily prescribed it preemptively given my history and the fact that I was going on a cruise ship again. 

Thanks for all the good wishes!  I slept 13 hours last night; fatigue is definitely the worst part. Fatigue and the side effects of the Paxlovid (no fun). I was much sicker last year after the Ruby. Nothing can compare to that (I hope). My stress levels were off the charts while on the Sapphire due to mom issues and serious parachute jump mishaps (which McGee witnessed but was not part of). All I can say is thank God the WiFi on the Sapphire was fantastic, because I was burning it up with phone calls and texts. It was wonderful to be treated as well as I was while I was going through all that!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Yes.  Seems to be ramping up again.  Several on today’s tender rides wearing masks again.  Also a few chin maskers!

Happy to hear that folks are wearing masks again.  If more people would do that or better yet, stay in their cabin if they are ill, it would help to limit the spread.  I know that folks want to enjoy their cruises but a little consideration for others would be very much appreciated.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

Happy to hear that folks are wearing masks again.  If more people would do that or better yet, stay in their cabin if they are ill, it would help to limit the spread.  I know that folks want to enjoy their cruises but a little consideration for others would be very much appreciated.

Exactly!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 3:58 PM, Steelers36 said:

Yes.  So it’s ok to get on a plane when you’re positive, i guess.  Even though others might have a condition that makes it more dangerous?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Yes.  So it’s ok to get on a plane when you’re positive, i guess.  Even though others might have a condition that makes it more dangerous?  

Not saying that.  But some people could be on a plane and not know they are positive.  The OP flew home wearing N95 mask.  I think you have to assume that in a large building with people from all over - such as an airport terminal or concert venue - that there are going to be certain number of folks with various ailments in various stages.  Nature of the human condition.  All one can do is their own precautions or stay away.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

We are doing the same 14 day on the Sapphire in May.

I was wondering if you kept the debarkation times sheet and if so could you post it.

Im still trying to book our flights and am trying to avoid having to take a red eye.  It’s hard getting to Cincinnati from Vancouver.

There is an American option that departs Vancouver at 11:40 am. When I check EZAir it defaults to flights after 12:00 noon. The only other large ship at Canada Place will be the Koningsdam.

Do you think this is doable if we self disembark?

Thank you.  I’ve picked up many tips from your blog which will be helpful.