Apex - Stateroom with Infinite Veranda

MrsBee89

Does anyone know how easy it easy to open up the veranda? Staying in interconnecting with 2 adults & 3 children, Celebrity have put the 2 adults in one room and 3 kids in the other (8, 6 & 3). How easy would it be for them to open it? I’m hoping it can be locked or something so they can’t get out there. Would love to hear if anyone here knows thank you!

The window can be opened via a switch near the door, near the window, or via the Celebrity app. And it's just a window--there is no "out there." If they go out the window, they're overboard.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrsBee89 said:

Does anyone know how easy it easy to open up the veranda? Staying in interconnecting with 2 adults & 3 children, Celebrity have put the 2 adults in one room and 3 kids in the other (8, 6 & 3). How easy would it be for them to open it? I’m hoping it can be locked or something so they can’t get out there. Would love to hear if anyone here knows thank you!

There's no getting out there. It's not a balcony/veranda.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

There's no getting out there. It's not a balcony/veranda.  

I know it’s not a regular balcony but have seen how it operates and don’t want the kids pressing the buttons and opening it up. Obviously they will be as supervised as possible but when we’re in the bathroom…

One  chair climb  away from goung out... unless window can be locked.. 

But how could X  or parents/ guardians  put 3 children 8 yrs old and under into cabin by themselves even if interconnecting...??    Adults should  split up..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrsBee89 said:

I know it’s not a regular balcony but have seen how it operates and don’t want the kids pressing the buttons and opening it up. Obviously they will be as supervised as possible but when we’re in the bathroom…

How can they be supervised at all times when the three kids are in their own stateroom separate from the two adults. Totally your responsibility to ensure their safety, at all times. I've always understood that no kids under 21 could be booked in a separate stateroom. You separating yourselves from them once onboard is all on you. 

Edited by davekathy

The switch to lower the window is pretty high up on the wall. And it's not instantaneous - it takes quite a while to get the window to lower all the way down. The fixed (bottom) panel is as high as a balcony railing, so in order to go over the kids would have to lower the window (which makes a really loud squealing sound as it goes down) by holding down the switch the whole time, then pull furniture over to the edge and climb out. You might be able to get them to lock the windows permanently closed for your two cabins, but then what's the point? You might as well have an ocean view cabin for less money.

If you put a piece of duct tape over the switch that would probably prevent the youngest one from fooling with it, but there is nothing 100% foolproof in keeping them from operating the window unless an adult is supervising them all the time.

17 minutes ago, hcat said:

But how could X  or parents/ guardians  put 3 children 8 yrs old and under into cabin by themselves even if interconnecting...??    Adults should  split up..

Don't understand that either.  An 8 year old is too young to look after themself let alone younger siblings.  

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

How can they be supervised at all times when the three kids are in their own stateroom separate from the two adults. Totally your responsibility to ensure their safety, at all times. I've always understood that no kids under 21 could be booked in a separate stateroom. You separating yourselves from them once onboard is all on you. 

Sorry missed out a crucial word on my OP, should have read “surprisingly Celebrity have put us…” but we won’t be staying like that. We will be an adult in each room

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MrsBee89 said:

How did  celebrity decide who is in what cabin?  When we have booked 2 rooms we tell Celebrity or the TA who to assign to each room .

Call whoever you booked with and change the Room assignment so that each room has a adult it.

Just now, jelayne said:

How did  celebrity decide who is in what cabin?  When we have booked 2 rooms we tell Celebrity or the TA who to assign to each room .

Call whoever you booked with and change the Room assignment so that each room has a adult it.

My MIL booked it, we won’t be staying like that, we will be an adult in each room sorry I ahould have made clear. I was just mentioning as surprised they allocated it like that and it let them!

24 minutes ago, hcat said:

We will be spliting up, I was surprised Celebrity allocated rooms like that which was why I mentioned it, it wasn’t even crucial to the post! 

Edited by MrsBee89

20 minutes ago, lorimay said:

The switch to lower the window is pretty high up on the wall. And it's not instantaneous - it takes quite a while to get the window to lower all the way down. The fixed (bottom) panel is as high as a balcony railing, so in order to go over the kids would have to lower the window (which makes a really loud squealing sound as it goes down) by holding down the switch the whole time, then pull furniture over to the edge and climb out. You might be able to get them to lock the windows permanently closed for your two cabins, but then what's the point? You might as well have an ocean view cabin for less money.

If you put a piece of duct tape over the switch that would probably prevent the youngest one from fooling with it, but there is nothing 100% foolproof in keeping them from operating the window unless an adult is supervising them all the time.

Thanks for your helpful reply it’s made me feel calmer about it! We will be staying an adult in each room and did try for oceanview but no interconnecting available and would like to be able to spend the evenings together once kids are asleep 

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I bet Celebrity has a way to override the wall controls and keep the window closed 

When the wind is strong or it is raining outside, they close all the IV windows and lock them remotely.   They also do it when they are washing the windows at the port.   So, they probably have a way to remotely lock certain room's window if needed.

4 hours ago, MrsBee89 said:

Sounds like a transfer is in order  to Royal Caribbean Cruise lines with children that age....

23 hours ago, davekathy said:

They will let 18-20 year olds be alone in a cabin as long as parents are in a connecting or adjacent cabin.  Our 2 kids (ages 18 and 20) will be in their own cabin with me and hubby in connecting cabin. But I had to call to book it that way; couldn't do it online because one of them isn't 21.  How OP was allowed to book 3 young minors in a cabin alone is a head scratcher.  

On 7/26/2023 at 3:22 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Don't know for sure but there might be a way for you to look the window using the app or wall control.

I have read or heard somewhere, that Celebrity can remotely do a lockdown.  Cannot confirm it, but it is a question OP can ask.  Can that be extended to a single cabin? Celebrity knows.  My guess is that they will not want to get involved.

One of the reasons I do not like IV  and will miss sailing Edge class.  We still like S class.

4 hours ago, sunshinegirl89 said:

They will let 18-20 year olds be alone in a cabin as long as parents are in a connecting or adjacent cabin.  Our 2 kids (ages 18 and 20) will be in their own cabin with me and hubby in connecting cabin. But I had to call to book it that way; couldn't do it online because one of them isn't 21.  How OP was allowed to book 3 young minors in a cabin alone is a head scratcher.  

She said the MIL did the booking.  EM