Stolen jewelry

Tink55

We just got off of the Carnival Legend, July 23, 2023.  There were no flight’s involved.  I had my jewelry in my check bag.  Before everyone rips into me for making this rookie mistake, it was a last minute decision to put some of my carryons into my luggage, forgetting my jewelry was in one of the bags.  I never saw my jewelry after my luggage went through the check in process.  I’m heartbroken, as one piece was my, now deceased mothers that my father had given her.  Some people have no conscience.  I just wanted to warn everyone.  Again, don’t get on me, I’m devastated enough.💔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tink55 said:

We just got off of the Carnival Legend, July 23, 2023.  There were no flight’s involved.  I had my jewelry in my check bag.  Before everyone rips into me for making this rookie mistake, it was a last minute decision to put some of my carryons into my luggage, forgetting my jewelry was in one of the bags.  I never saw my jewelry after my luggage went through the check in process.  I’m heartbroken, as one piece was my, now deceased mothers that my father had given her.  Some people have no conscience.  I just wanted to warn everyone.  Again, don’t get on me, I’m devastated enough.💔

You just learned an expensive lesson.  I am sure you will never do it again.  Not sure what the warning is about but maybe others can learn also.  I cannot determine from your post when you determined your jewelry ws missing, at end of cruise or another time?

• Like 1

I noticed it was missing when I got into my room and unpacked. Again, it was on accident that I put my jewelry in my check bag, but still, no reason to steal. Yes, my lesson was learned, some baggage handlers are thieves!

• Like 1

I did file a report, but they haven’t found it yet.  They said they will let me know in 30 days.  I even looked at websites of pawn shops in Baltimore, didn’t find it there.

• Like 1

Yes, my luggage was opened and looked at, I noticed that things had been rearranged a bit when I immediately unpacked when I got to my room.   I have no reason to lie about this and the last thing I wanted to believe was that my items were stolen!

Just now, Tink55 said:

I wanted to but Carnival told me to not lock my check in luggage.

Well, they suggest you don't, but they used to tell you to lock it. I lock mine. If they want to inspect, I can unlock and they can inspect in my presence. The porters etc., aren't Carnival employees.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

You just learned an expensive lesson.  I am sure you will never do it again.  Not sure what the warning is about but maybe others can learn also.  I cannot determine from your post when you determined your jewelry ws missing, at end of cruise or another time?

The warning is to not put expensive items in checked bags. That's my takeaway. (Alternatively don't take anything with you that you can't afford to lose, if one drills down deep enough.)

• Like 12

Sorry this happened to you. I never knew Carnival said not to lock luggage. We always use TSA locks, which I am sure they have the keys for anyway.   As BlerkOne said - if they want to look through my luggage call me to the naughty room and do so.  That it happened on embark surprises me.  Would think it would happen more on debark, where there is more time if luggage is put outside the room for pickup the night before.  Hopefully your insurance will cover the theft - though it will not cover  the emotional part of losing something from your mother.

• Like 3

So sorry this happened to you. I hope you didn't let it spoil your cruise. It's sentimental value can't be replaced, of course, but you'll always have the memory of  it. Hopefully it was insured and you can at least file a claim and perhaps you can replace it with something similar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

The warning is to not put expensive items in checked bags. That's my takeaway. (Alternatively don't take anything with you that you can't afford to lose, if one drills down deep enough.)

bingo

• Like 1

As has been mentioned the folks scanning luggage and loading it on the ship aren't Carnival employees, so it's very likely that Carnival won't be able to find your missing jewelry. The shipboard crew can't really get away with stealing.

I'm very sorry this happened to you. I think it's a shame people steal as well. We should be able to pack pretty much anything in our luggage and trust it'll get to us from the terminal to the  ship. It's a long shot but I hope somehow you get it back.

• Like 2

I’m so afraid of losing an expensive piece of jewelry or even being robbed in port that I now wear fake stuff. The shops on board have some pretty realistic looking fake wedding rings and other jewelry. So now my souvenir while on board is finding cute faux diamond rings and jewelry. 

• Like 7

I’m so sorry this happened to you; travel is stressful even when for something fun, and it’s easy to make a slip-up.

Have you considered filing a report with the Baltimore port authority? Possibly, one of their employees observed your last minute baggage shifting and found a time and place to open you bag before handing it over to the Carnival crew. 

• Like 2

In our singular experience, a missing piece of jewelry showed up weeks later when finally unpacking from a cruise and it just showed up. This was after we had reported, security had helped search the cabin, etc., etc. It had been hiding all along, somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry this happened to you.

I don't bring or wear any "real" jewelry when I travel except for my plain wedding band. I worry about losing it as much or more than getting robbed. Just seeing other women wearing big engagement rings or other expensive jewelry makes me nervous. 

• Like 2

My thoughts will be controversial, but, that's on me.

My first thought is that the post starts out bolding implying that somebody stole something. Thats a very strong and personalized opinion. Not a proven fact.

Maybe something like, I had some jewelry come up lost, misplaced, or stolen, what are my options would have set better with me.

I filed a claim a few years back with Carnival and worded as such. After they denied finding said object, I was disappointed but placed the blame on myself for not keeping better track of my belongings. A couple of months later, I found my lost object in my shaving kit. I did all this without blindly accusing someone of being a thief with no proof.

Maybe these items were stolen. Who knows, but that's why you have insurance. Whether it be travel insurance, homeowners' insurance, or if very valuable, a separate insurance policy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

My thoughts will be controversial, but, that's on me.

My first thought is that the post starts out bolding implying that somebody stole something. Thats a very strong and personalized opinion. Not a proven fact.

Maybe something like, I had some jewelry come up lost, misplaced, or stolen, what are my options would have set better with me.

I filed a claim a few years back with Carnival and worded as such. After they denied finding said object, I was disappointed but placed the blame on myself for not keeping better track of my belongings. A couple of months later, I found my lost object in my shaving kit. I did all this without blindly accusing someone of being a thief with no proof.

Maybe these items were stolen. Who knows, but that's why you have insurance. Whether it be travel insurance, homeowners' insurance, or if very valuable, a separate insurance policy.

I think I saw that story on an episode of Love Boat. 😁

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, Tink55 said:

I noticed that things had been rearranged a bit

I'm sorry that these items have been misplaced- especially ones of sentimental value.

As i've read through this thread and seen your replies, I'm wondering if when you repacked your bag you may have left your jewelry wherever you were staying the night prior? Where did the decision to put your carry on items into your checked luggage take place?

Your bag was tossed around while being loaded onto the ship, so it's not surprising to find it a bit messed up once you get it to your room (have you seen the way bags are handled? It's not pretty).

• Like 1