Balcony Questions

After ten RCL cruises in inside staterooms (one with a virtual balcony), we've booked a balcony on Allure in November.  We're looking forward to breakfast on the balcony; sunrise/sunsets; and some quiet times there.  But I had a few questions ...

1. I've read online about putting up a hammock.  Any advice on this (pro or con)?  Are the balcony supports strong enough to hang it?

2. Are the curtains dark enough to not wake me at the crack of dawn?  Remember ...  We are used to inside staterooms?  Or should we just embrace the balcony sunrise and leave the curtains open all night!  What do you do?

3. Are headphones suggested or can we play music at a reasonable volume?

Any other advice for a balcony newbie?

Thanks!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MD_Dan said:

After ten RCL cruises in inside staterooms (one with a virtual balcony), we've booked a balcony on Allure in November.  We're looking forward to breakfast on the balcony; sunrise/sunsets; and some quiet times there.  But I had a few questions ...

1. I've read online about putting up a hammock.  Any advice on this (pro or con)?  Are the balcony supports strong enough to hang it?

2. Are the curtains dark enough to not wake me at the crack of dawn?  Remember ...  We are used to inside staterooms?  Or should we just embrace the balcony sunrise and leave the curtains open all night!  What do you do?

Thanks!!

What Ship? Some are easier then others for Hammock. Cabin type and number if known also... Radio, had some yahoo trying listen to music and watching TV while we were going threw Panama Canal locks. I called Security, they had him turn it off

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MD_Dan said:

Thanks!!

1. No matter what you have read, this is not allowed. I would expect if you put one up, that it will be taken down.

2. Never had an issue getting the cabin dark. There will be a little bit of sun seep, but not blaring.

3. Please don't disturb your neighbors, use headphones.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HodgeNNicole said:

I bring a hammock on every cruise and very much enjoy it.  In fact on several occasions I park my self in it just before bed and often wake up several hours later! LOL.  

Never have I been asked to take it down.  

How and where do you attach each end?

46 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

3. Please don't disturb your neighbors, use headphones.

1,000,000% agree!  Please be considerate of others. What might be reasonable to you, might be too loud to others trying to relax in quiet. 

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, VegasVic14 said:

It is a camping hammock that comes with straps to be wrapped around a tree.  The hammock itself has long cords that can be adjusted for length.  I attach one of the straps around a pipe or some sort of structure that is located up high.  Many times it is a steel support for the divider between the balconys.  Then the other side I can wrap around the railing somehow. Both sides of the hammock can be adjusted for length.  Granted when I am done I am only a few inches off the deck still plenty room enough to gently sway in the sea breezes.  It has carabiners on each end so in the event the wind picks up I just un clip it and bring it in.

I wish I had a picture for you but I don't.  I will say we mostly choose an ocean view cabin with a larger balcony so not sure if the regular size of balcony will work or not.

1 hour ago, MD_Dan said:

I like to sleep in a fairly dark room, and especially not get woken up early on vacation, so I use a few magnets around the edges and then either clips (clothespin type) OR one of the pants hangers to fasten the two panels together in the middle. I leave the magnets in place during the day and just remove the center clips to open the curtains. The curtains themselves are pretty good at light blocking - it is around all the edges where the light can come in. 

57 minutes ago, VegasVic14 said:

I have bought a couple of 3 inch "C" clamps that can attached to the flange of the I beams and then tie off the ropes to the clamps.  That way I am not guessing if a pipe is strong enough to support it or if there are places to wrap the rope around.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have bought a couple of 3 inch "C" clamps that can attached to the flange of the I beams and then tie off the ropes to the clamps.  That way I am not guessing if a pipe is strong enough to support it or if there are places to wrap the rope around.

And, I assume, you have the steward remove the balcony furniture... or is it easier to just toss it all overboard?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, VegasVic14 said:

And, I assume, you have the steward remove the balcony furniture... or is it easier to just toss it all overboard?

Seriously??

On most ships, tossing furniture overboard is frowned upon.  You should take any unwanted items and toss them around the divider so your next door neighbor may enjoy them.

Edited by 3CatsInMA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

Thanks!!

Don't do it. I am goin g to assume that you don't have a hammock in your bed room at home, so don't waste your time on a ship. 

Curtains are black out curtains. Less light that at home. 

No music at all on the balcony. Use your earbuds if you need to. 

The vast majority of people who get balconies spend very very very little time on them. Maybe a few minutes at sail away. Maybe a few minutes arriving/departing ports. You are likely not going to spend any more time in your balcony room than you did with your 10 previous inside rooms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The vast majority of people who get balconies spend very very very little time on them. Maybe a few minutes at sail away. Maybe a few minutes arriving/departing ports. You are likely not going to spend any more time in your balcony room than you did with your 10 previous inside rooms

This is correct. I will not spend any more time in my balcony room because I will be on my balcony!

Really?? I beg to differ. Maybe some people fit this category, but I doubt that the "vast majority" do. I drink my morning coffee on the balcony. I have never had a cup of coffee in my stateroom. Quite often I have a before dinner drink on my balcony while my wife gets ready for dinner. I have never had a before dinner drink in my stateroom. We get balcony cabins because my wife likes to sit on the balcony and read a book, she rarely reads a book in the cabin.

• Like 13

The vast majority of people who get balconies spend very very very little time on them. Maybe a few minutes at sail away. Maybe a few minutes arriving/departing ports. You are likely not going to spend any more time in your balcony room than you did with your 10 previous inside rooms. 

If BirdTravels has statistical analysis to support this assertion, I will gladly retract my own. 😉 But I definitely do not believe that "the vast majority" spend "very very very little time" on their balconies. Some people, certainly. Others spend a moderate amount, and quite a few people spend hours & hours on it. Granted, I fall into the latter category so that may skew my perception somewhat. But I have made dozens if not hundreds of cruising friends over the years, and I can't think of a single one off-hand who would fall into the first category. 

For the OP, until you have experienced it yourself, it's hard to know how much use you will get out of it. But at least you will know if it's worth the investment going forward, or if you'd be just as happy sticking to insides. 🙂 

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse
  • Like 12

Don't agree.We have room service breakfast on our balcony every morning. Naps in the afternoon, pre-Windjammer drinks in the late afternoon and a late night sitting looking at the ocean. Balconyviews are one of my favorite parts of the cruise.

• Like 9

I never thought a balcony would be worth the extra cost but my wife wanted to try one so we booked one many years ago. I spent a lot more time out there than I thought I would. She used it more than me and decided she really preferred that over the ocean view cabins that we typically booked prior to that. We have booked many balconies since. We had a very port intensive itinerary (no sea days) on our cruise this past March. We figured with no sea days, we wouldn't have many opportunities to use a balcony so we booked an ocean view cabin. About 2 or 3 days into the cruise I realized how much I missed the balcony and I told my wife we would never book another cruise without a balcony.

• Like 8