Journey to the Center of the Earth: An Asian Cruising Tale

A few tips for those who choose to DIY:

* The gangway down to the Kai Tak cruise terminal is long. The cruise terminal is also large...part of the old Kai Tak airport. Just wanted to warn those with mobility issues.

* There's a currency exchange at the terminal...one window, one lady. Imagine the thousands of passengers wanting to exchange currency.

* There were queues for taxis and buses. The last time we were in Hong Kong, there was a free shuttle to the nearest MTR station...not this time.

* After a long queue, we took Bus 22R directly to the Kai Tak MTR station. Cost: 7.70 Hong Kong Dollar per person one way. Took about 10 minutes.

Note: The bus driver will not give you change...having the exact amount, (or close to it) is good.

* Once you are at the MTR station, you will have access to many of the sights in Hong Kong...it's all up to you how far or how close you want to go.

* Having visited HK a few times, all we wanted to do was go to the Tsim Sha Tsui area...walk along the ocean promenade (yes, even in the searing heat and humidity), shop inside the massive Harbour City Mall (wife's choice), and visit the statue of Bruce Lee (my choice 😅), located near the Avenue of Stars. MTR cost: 11.50 HKD roundtrip...that may include a senior discount, not sure.

* It was easy getting back to the Kai Tak MTR station...getting back to the nearby Kai Tak cruise terminal was an adventure.

We were informed to take Bus 22M (not the 22R in the morning) from the MTR station back to the cruise terminal. About 30 of us cruise passengers got on Bus 22M...we got suspicious because the bus was heading towards Kowloon...the opposite direction...oh my.

Just to confirm, the bus driver said "Yes, I'm going to the Kai Tak cruise terminal"...what we didn't know was the bus route included a loop around Kowloon. Our 10 minute ride turned into a 40 minute tour. 

* Bus 22M cost: 5.90 HKD (with the loop)...5.30 HKD directly back to the cruise terminal. Felt pretty stupid taking the CORRECT bus, but the WRONG route. 😁

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

A few tips for those who choose to DIY:

* The gangway down to the Kai Tak cruise terminal is long. The cruise terminal is also large...part of the old Kai Tak airport. Just wanted to warn those with mobility issues.

* There's a currency exchange at the terminal...one window, one lady. Imagine the thousands of passengers wanting to exchange currency.

* There were queues for taxis and buses. The last time we were in Hong Kong, there was a free shuttle to the nearest MTR station...not this time.

* After a long queue, we took Bus 22R directly to the Kai Tak MTR station. Cost: 7.70 Hong Kong Dollar per person one way. Took about 10 minutes.

Note: The bus driver will not give you change...having the exact amount, (or close to it) is good.

* Once you are at the MTR station, you will have access to many of the sights in Hong Kong...it's all up to you how far or how close you want to go.

* Having visited HK a few times, all we wanted to do was go to the Tsim Sha Tsui area...walk along the ocean promenade (yes, even in the searing heat and humidity), shop inside the massive Harbour City Mall (wife's choice), and visit the statue of Bruce Lee (my choice 😅), located near the Avenue of Stars. MTR cost: 11.50 HKD roundtrip...that may include a senior discount, not sure.

* It was easy getting back to the Kai Tak MTR station...getting back to the nearby Kai Tak cruise terminal was an adventure.

We were informed to take Bus 22M (not the 22R in the morning) from the MTR station back to the cruise terminal. About 30 of us cruise passengers got on Bus 22M...we got suspicious because the bus was heading towards Kowloon...the opposite direction...oh my.

Just to confirm, the bus driver said "Yes, I'm going to the Kai Tak cruise terminal"...what we didn't know was the bus route included a loop around Kowloon. Our 10 minute ride turned into a 40 minute tour. 

* Bus 22M cost: 5.90 HKD (with the loop)...5.30 HKD directly back to the cruise terminal. Felt pretty stupid taking the CORRECT bus, but the WRONG route. 😁

Yes... Transport from the Cruise terminal at Kai Tak is pretty bad at present... There hasn't been a cruise ship in Hong Kong for over 18 months... This stop by Spectrum is the first cruise to stop in Hong Kong since the cruise ship suspension.. 

Spectrum actually made the news on the SCMP... Read it here.  (maybe paywalled)

Edited by luv_crusing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, luv_crusing said:

Spectrum actually made the news on the SCMP... Read it here.  (maybe paywalled)

I was able to read the article so it wasn't paywalled.  Interesting.  Hong Kong is one of my favorite cities.  I wish I could have flown into Kai Tak before it closed.  Sounds like it was quite an adventure.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I was able to read the article so it wasn't paywalled.  Interesting.  Hong Kong is one of my favorite cities.  I wish I could have flown into Kai Tak before it closed.  Sounds like it was quite an adventure.

Landing at Kai Tak airport was certainly exciting.. I'd always choose a window seat on the right side of the plane so I could look through the windows in the buildings next to the runway... The buildings seem so close that you could almost reach out and touch them...  

That last minute almost 90 degree right turn of the plane to line up with the runway just before touch down always had my heart pumping...  

In contrast, landing at Chek Lap Kok airport is very boring, but the nice big terminals make up for it.. Kai Tak airport was very old and worn down by the time they de-commissioned it... 

Edited by luv_crusing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Today is Saturday. I've been having a helluva time accessing the Internet for the last 2 days. I'm currently using T-Mobile LTE. Guest services said they've been trying to get the internet working but they don't think it will work until we leave Hong Kong. Apparently our "location" is causing some issues with accessing the satellites 👀.

We did a ship tour yesterday; "Hong Kong Highlights." It was a half day tour, and it was excellent. This port is very well organized and well set-up for tourists and cruise ships. The tours are very organized, and there's signage everywhere to help people figure out how to get to the excursion buses, local taxis and local buses. As @bonsai3s mentioned, the signage of how to actually use the bus system isn't necessarily as easy to figure out, but this port is night and day from Vietnam, much MUCH better. The Hong Kong tourism board handed out little gifts as we walked off the ship, and there was a little dancing welcoming committee on the port side.

Our tour took us to the top of Victoria Peak (pretty picture taking spot and some shopping and lots of food), then to Stanley Marketplace (a seaside area with lots of shopping stalls and some food places), and then on a quick sampan ride (traditional water taxi). Our guide gave us tons of information about the life and inner workings of Hong Kong. She was really personable and a great guide.

Today we wanted to venture downtown for shopping on our own. Our guide yesterday recommended taking Uber instead of a taxi because you don't have to have cash and it's easier to tell the app where you want to to go without any language barrier issues.

However, it didn't look like there was a specific spot for Ubers to do pick-up in the cruise terminal, I think they only let taxis inside. So I walked about 3/4 mile down the road before I gave up and came back. It was a nice walk, but it's hot out and I lost my enthusiasm for shopping.

They're doing a ton of building around the terminal. High rises are going up one after the other. Our guide yesterday explained that the wealthiest people in Hong Kong are the developers and she described an intricate system of middle-men and bartering with the government for leases of land on which you can then build these gigantic skyscraper buildings and make profit off the exploitation of labor (basically). A lot of new buildings are going up on what they're calling "reclaimed land," which is essentially man-made coastline made from landfill. 

Being able to walk directly beneath these huge cranes with no safety equipment myself makes me wonder how much oversight is really done with these buildings, and I'd be hesitant to live in any of them. I did find it interesting that they use bamboo scaffolding, and also that they build new buildings with a fire barrier between lower floors and upper floors to give firemen time to reach fires in upper floors where their trucks can't reach. 

We may venture out again after lunch, but for now we're just planning a restful day on a quiet ship. If I can get the internet working, I might even get some work done. 

ADC16CA5-463F-4317-A713-44690E9F2885.thumb.png.10c4b1431db32c90c5dd45b085512676.png9545C802-742D-42F9-A8F5-44D99E333B5B.thumb.png.226e91307234376640a8c17ad0a3ac51.pngE43FBA62-91A3-4A38-8DA0-7BB1D19B83D3.thumb.png.9acc0ee6e1f2448bce099c1ade97bd5b.pngED0C9B58-044A-418C-B5E9-D0255580C2B8.thumb.png.bd4ddd37b3b085c026543d0833dcc1c4.png

• Like 8

Here are the results of the Internet speed test I did with the ship's wi-fi today. It doesn't appear that they're using Starlink right now, but instead have access to something local (shown in photo #2), which is at least making it so the internet kiiiiiind of works, vs not working at all yesterday, or the day before (sea day on our way into Hong Kong).B2BEF4B8-2465-4981-A311-5CF912B0B39D.thumb.png.2c8dc7399763083e3a0a2a15387e1b34.png40BFF478-2A99-4AEC-901F-2D5C723390A8.thumb.png.3a5da6817c3f46e5de30571e327a1248.png

Edited by ARandomTraveler

15 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

I saw this shirt at the Stanley marketplace yesterday and thought it was pretty funny (but I didn't buy it)55D80E05-818D-4A6C-AD19-DAB16E3D5458.thumb.png.73557d1c7b413c80ed8d822a6aac0b0b.png

• Like 1

Perfect Day at (not Coco Cay)...Nan Lian Garden. 

Rated as one of the Top 10 sights in Hong Kong, I am genuinely embarrassed to admit it was our first visit to this nearby gem.

* Our second day in HK. Raining in the morning...quick breakfast...on Bus 22M at 9:30am. Cost: 5.30 HKD/person, one way to the Kai Tak MTR station. Travel time, about 10 minutes. Clear skies when we got off the bus.

* Nan Lian Garden is only ONE stop from the Kai Tak MTR station...took less than 5 minutes to the Diamond Hill station. Cost: 5.75 HKD/person going there, but only 4.25/person coming back...not sure why, i I It's such a small amount, part of the experience.

* At the Diamond Hill station, (as in every station, be careful where you exit)...the sign on the wall said "exit C for Nam Lian Garden, then exit "C2". It took us less than 5 minutes to find the entrance to the garden.

* My Cruise Critic callname is "bonsai trees"...so I have visited many gardens around the world...I had no expectations n I 8or had any idea what I was about to see...just another garden. I was wrong.

* It was free to enter (I would've paid any amount to visit this place)...it started just like any other botanical garden I've visited...but then, slowly and gradually, you realize you are walking through something very special...something extra ordinary.

* (I plan on attaching pictures, but the internet here in HK is...slow.7)

Perfectly manicured topiaries, waterfalls, rock formations, koi ponds, and yes, hundreds of magnificent bonsai trees.

* There are several museums inside, all were free to enter except for the ceramic museum. There are shaded sitting areas when you need a rest, and two sets of restrooms...nice for seniors like us. There's even a restaurant if you get hungry. 

* It was extremely hot and humid, so it's best to have plenty of water. The garden is over 8 acres...if you are Flash or Speedy Gonzales, perhaps you can walk it in 2 hours...for us seniors, 4 hours. Perfectly laid brick, meandering 8walkpaths with steps up the temples.

* On the way out, all I can think of was "brilliant, phenomenal, outstanding!"...then my beautiful wife said "Wait! there's more!".

* Before exiting, we found the Lotus Ponds Garden...and the truly magnificent Chi Lin Nunnery Buddhist Halls ( no photos allowed).  Imagine listening to peaceful chimes, buddhist chanting, the smell of redolent incense...walking quietly through two large courtyards...passing by each room with different Buddhas...then you reach the far end/center of the courtyard...there sits 3 massive Golden Buddhas, 2 "servants" on each side...just in awe....perfect day.

* If you are not into botanical gardens, or get too tired of the heat and humidity...the Diamond Hill MTR station is connected to a nice mall...it is cold inside, with electronics, cosmetics, grocery, luxury goods, trinkets, a food court and even a McDonalds.

* Diamond Hill station to Kai Tak station...7 minutes. Buss 22M (sans loop) to cruise terminal...20 minutes (bus made a few short stops.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

On 8/5/2023 at 8:14 PM, MJSailors said:

@bonsai3s Any photos of the gardens?

MJ

So sorry, the internet here in HK is really slow...slower than snail. I've made several attempts to download pictures but have failed miserably. 

It's 12:12am in the morning...still unable download pictures. I'll try again tomorriw.

* Country line dancing in the Music Hall earlier...dance floor packed.

* I neglected to mention...there's a body temperature check (temperature scanner up in the ceiling) when walking to exit/enter the cruise terminal. Passengers were asked to remove hats when walking under the scanner.

• Thanks 1

We're in Taiwan today and  back to being "somewhat" connected to Internet, only because I can access an LTE signal through T-Mobile. The ship's wifi has been completely 100% not working since we arrived in Hong Kong 4 days ago (and part of the sea day prior). We've been told we likely won't have Internet again until we leave China. They'll be refunding the cost of the Internet package for the days that the internet hasn't worked (so far officially  4 days), but they're only refunding people who have made a visit to the Zoom Internet desk on the ship and written their names and room numbers down on a list. They should give the refund automatically, but as of now, they're not giving refunds unless people request one. 

The ocean leaving Hong Kong was a bit choppy and I was worried I'd get seasick, but it leveled off the next day and I was fine. The sail away from that port was really gorgeous, such a beautiful and bright skyline. Our room is on the starboard side of the ship and so far we've docked on the starboard side at all the ports (which really just means we're looking at industrial buildings or the cruise terminal, but the sail away at night ends up being pretty).

Taiwan has been another great port. Extremely well organized ship tours. We did the half-day Chiuffen tour which took us to a marketplace on the side of a mountain with tons of shopping and food. It's listed as a "strenuous" excursion which didn't make sense until we got there and found that you have to climb a LOT of stairs to get to the village. If you're not mobile and can't do stairs, do not sign up for this tour.

You'll definitely need Taiwanese money here, as there are only a handful of stores that take credit cards out of the hundreds of shops available. There's a place to exchange money in the cruise terminal, but you won't have time to use it if you're headed off for a tour. We found a post office in the Chiuffen village that was able to exchange money for us (it looked like they could exchange all kinds of foreign money, not just US dollars). For every $1 USD we got about $31 Taiwanese dollars. Most of the foods and drinks cost around $40-$90 Taiwanese dollars ($1-$3 USD) so it's very cheap. The non-food shops sell trinkets, most of it is the same kind of touristy souvenir stuff you'd get anywhere, but there was some unique stuff (tea sets and leather goods and clothing), and it was all very cheap. The ATM we found only takes cards from local banks.

Theres a night market here somewhere, but it requires a bus ride, and nobody is entirely sure which bus to take or where to catch it. I'm sure someone will have it figured out by evening and spread the word. This is the first time this ship has stopped at these ports so nobody really knows anything about them yet. 

They say it rains here 360 days a year. Our tour guide said they had a big Typhoon 3 days ago. We've had clear skies and no rain so far.

To get off the ship you have to bring a copy of your passport that the ship made on our behalf and left in our room with an immigration stamp on it. You also have to show it to get back on the ship. I think they're also stamping our actual passports but we won't know until we get them back at the end of the cruise. They are very serious about making sure you don't take any food off the ship. 

F0DFB0DE-5D01-4227-ABB1-D23C2140B7BD.thumb.png.cd84484a06427161ed01bf1bcffa23ce.png

B48989E5-DD01-48DA-853E-8B25812C0F1D.thumb.png.9f73d214a935b2a61c58b634a055b3b8.png

77F12244-9BEA-45E9-8A16-3FA31FFA923A.thumb.png.b7897bb0ab2cf57bbbb614c947cefcc5.png4763001B-86D7-4B0F-AF33-6205748F351A.thumb.png.d5652c303ccf21c267bdcd42271552a8.png

28969BE8-61A5-4C85-A670-FF1FE15CAFE7.thumb.png.e602f99acaf1d73ce5c3e61510ff428a.png

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Keelung, Taiwan (yesterday)...first time visit...plan was to visit Heping Island Park. DIY.

* Off the ship by 9:30am. Inside the warehouse style cruise terminal, at the "Tourist Information" table, the first man we spoke to said there were no local buses to Heping Island Park and offered to join their tour instead ($35).

We declined and spoke to the lady next to him, same table...she said bus 101 to Heping Island Park...15 Taiwanese Dollars (about .50 cents, 3 miles).

* Next step...exchange currency. There was a long queue for the ATM, so we decided for the currency exchange inside the terminal...until we ran into a group of poor crew members who said each of them were charge 100 TWD (about $3 each) Lesson: Exchange currency as a group, only one fee/service charge.

* Banks will also exchange currency, all charging fees excep for Taiwan Bank...no fees. Passport required. Problem is we only had copies of our passports...the ship kept our passports.  Lesson: Bring Taiwanese Dollars next time.

* Keelung is known for rain...lucky for us it was a sunny day. (Sarcastic, rolling eyes) I would've chosen a rainy day. It was extremely hot and unbearably  humid...think sauna.  

* We never made it to Heping Island Park. We walked ourstside and found many fascinating sights around town, the Miaokou Night Market...yes, open and lively during the day.

20230808_121315.jpg

20230808_121522.jpg

20230808_121527.jpg

20230808_121704.jpg

20230808_121841.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/31/2023 at 9:45 AM, mugtech said:

Booked on Spectrum next March for a 3 day in Singapore before flying back to Bethlehem, PA via Saudi Arabian Airlines with an 8 hour layover in Saudi Arabia.  My wife and I each have 77 C&A points, very interested to check out the food on Spectrum.  We also have been to Singapore 3 times previously, love those imported mangoes from Thailand.

Hello from Texas, from a Moravian grad. I love Bethlehem.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful photos @bonsai3s! I'm not getting many photos because I'm too distracted trying to walk through crowds and carry all the food we kept eating 😂.

Ship internet is working today, now that we're away from Chinese air space. The Voom desk is still offering refunds only to people who stop by the desk. I wrote my name down on the list for a second time today. No refund has been applied to my account yet. 

Seas are a bit choppy today, I think we're sailing around a storm of some sort, but they assure us it's a safe passage. Puke bags are attached to the railings of all the stair cases. We have 2 sea days before reaching our first Japanese port stop.

• Like 3

Day 9, sea day...taking advantage of the relatively fast internet.

Spectrum of the Seas....I was corrected a few times by crew members: "It's NOT Quantum Class...it's Quantum Ultra"

Here are a few differences...

Instead of the Pub, it's now the Leaf & Bean, serving tea and coffee

20230809_124535.thumb.jpg.622655f7269d9748b1cc9637d3d60eae.jpg

Diamond Lounge...part of the VIP Room for high rollers

20230809_124727.thumb.jpg.00e8c263a62e1c7e1192b3ee953b4140.jpg

Sichuan Red, specialty restaurant unique to the Spectrum. You can order food a la carte, as spicy as you like.

20230809_124447.thumb.jpg.0bf36dc40837ef88034e63a86de4d9e7.jpg

Instead of Boleros, they have Star Moment (no bar), and a pharmacy next door.

20230809_124344.thumb.jpg.1cb26ddd0c1cf20f8a5b8b3a944d564e.jpg

The Hotpot, specialty restaurant unique to the Spectrum...cook your own soup tableside. $41 per person, unlimited vegetables, noodles, beef and seafood (scallops, abalone, lobster, prawns, etc. $10 extra).

20230809_123832.thumb.jpg.7bd23ec9fbb77f7f515ca64664bc33c8.jpg

Noodle Bar, located in the Windjammer, different style broths served everyday.

20230809_123622.thumb.jpg.a8a07708ec91f401127b60b3adac4687.jpg

Sorrento's Pizza, located at the entrance of the Windjammer (CK location in other Quantum class ships).

20230809_123531.thumb.jpg.cbd9031c9d91ad0319097b80ef79d192.jpg

Splashaway Cafe, outside on Deck 14, next to the kids pool, serving hotdogs and burgers.

20230809_123405.thumb.jpg.2fdc99e11d2c0db9bdb820282d336c2e.jpg

The Gold Dining Room and Lounge (no Coastal Kitchen). For suite guests (B,L,D), and for Pinnacles (dinner only by reservation).

20230809_122755.thumb.jpg.f87712d9514238affe67ae79c16fb456.jpg

The Silver Dining Room (location of Solarium Bistro), designated for Pinnacles, and JS and above guests, open breakfast, lunch, and dinner, buffet and a la carte. (Chops also open for breakfast for Pinnacles.)

20230809_122452.thumb.jpg.339fee0a937e700169eaa4c746d761ca.jpg

Silver Dining Room

20230809_122419.thumb.jpg.50e7185de7a7cca50c57ffc48084593c.jpg

Silver Lounge, designated as Pinnacles Lounge.

20230809_122319.thumb.jpg.e89258e0490e1322976407982c59593c.jpg

VIP Casino (high rollers), loacted on Deck 4, inside Music Hall.

20230809_124806.thumb.jpg.5c36aa8407dab81777f1c351fba0d363.jpg

• Like 5

@bonsai3s fab pics and review as always x

Could you kindly get a close up pic of the Gold/ Silver /P lounge opening hours ?

Guessing the pool is not full of sunbathers?

What is the solarium like ? I’m sure I read of a separate area/access from the Silver lounge area??

thanks 

LBxx

Edited by little britain