Will Celebrity Eclipse Wash My Clothes in Cold Water?

Retirement2016

No. People post frequently that they put all sorts of special instructions on their laundry. If you've ever done the behind the scenes tour and seen the laundry....you can pretty much be assured that those special instructions are ignored. All laundry goes into huge commercial washing machines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your option is to wash it yourself in the sink and let it drip dry, or send for dry cleaning. Since it takes forever for things to dry in the damp sea air, I send things to be dry cleaned. 

I love the fact that X doesn't have self-serve laundry because it isn't a vacation for me if I have to do dishes or laundry! 😁

• Like 5

dont send anything that can shrink.in very hot water or anything you cannot afford to lose

We use our E + perk to do a white load..socks and undies  and a dark.load of sturdy tees and shorts..

nothing delicate or apt to shrink.or melt

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

dont send anything that can shrink.in very hot water or anything you cannot afford to lose

We use our E + perk to do a white load..socks and undies  and a dark.load of sturdy tees and shorts..

nothing delicate or apt to shrink.or melt

I doubt when they are dumping 40-50 wash & fold bags into the large washers that your whites are are separated from our bag of jeans & colored tees and whites.

• Like 4

good point..we  do send them out on diff days.

we actually toured the laundry area on a behind the scenes excursion.   It was very impressive  clean and well.organized. 

Workers took great pride... they deserve praise and hopefully good tips from the pot.  They work  indoors, lower level  no window and very warm..

• Like 1

I ve had a tour of laundry. No way would I ever send my clothes to be washed. Commercial/communal washers.  forget how many laundry bags go into one machine. Your clothes won’t be washed on delicate cycle nor how you do at home.  There are some great clothing soaps that require no rinsing or little.  You can get clothes lines to fit shower. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have used the laundry many times and never had any real issues. A few items went missing and the steward found them the same day. But I dont send in any delicate or very nice things.

And communal washers?…..well yeah. A poster once said she would

never have her clothing washed with other people’s things. She saw that as a major ‘contamination’ issue even saying how she didnt want to even think what people ‘do’ in those clothes. I thought that was hilarious and pointed out her bed sheets and shower towels she used were all washed ‘communally’ and I didnt want her picturing what ‘people did’ between the sheets and people rub those towels All Over Their Bodies!!!

And said how sad she’d have quit vacationing; not only have to quit cruising, she shouldn’t stay in Any hotel.

Den 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

We always specify “COLD WASH ONLY”. Never had shrinkage. 

We never ask for cold wash and haven’t had any thing that shrunk.  But we generally send anything that possibly could shrink to be dry cleaned bs washed.  We use laundry for jeans, shorts, workout clothes, tees, socks, pjs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Retirement2016 said:

Thank you all for your replies.  I may take an extra carry on luggage to South America.  With the weather being in the 80's in Buenos Aires, down to the 50's in Ushuaia, it's like packing for two seasons.

South America is a great cruise!

We only ever send in anything we would put in a mixed load at home…

9 hours ago, Retirement2016 said:

Thank you all for your replies.  I may take an extra carry on luggage to South America.  With the weather being in the 80's in Buenos Aires, down to the 50's in Ushuaia, it's like packing for two seasons.

For mixed weather/colder cruises most people pack layers. If you pack plenty of T shirts and only a couple of sweaters/sweatshirts your sweaters/sweatshirts will stay fresh if you always wear a T shirt underneath. You won’t want to wear your sweaters on board either so literally one or two will do. We tend to take pleasant but not over expensive T shirts we are happy to stick in the laundry…Worse case scenario they look a bit tight and faded by the end of the holiday!

Never had a problem with the laundry.  I do send anything that might shrink ( ie ladies pants or tops) to be dry cleaned if needed.  A couple complimentary for us, the rest I find the prices comparable to at home..

Denny01- I had a good laughs this morning at your comment!

• Thanks 1

We did a behind the scenes ship tour on the Equinox in June. After seeing how everything is laundered there is no way anything can be washed in cold water. All laundry from passengers are washed together in huge commercial machines.  They do use detergents that are hypoallergenic with little to no scents. Think about how the laundry department washes and dries thousands of sheets, towels and linens per day, how could they take any passenger's bag of laundry and honor the cold water only requests.

We are Elite so we get the one bag of free laundry, but my wife will not send out and of her delicates. She does a lot of hand washing in the cabin and uses something she buys from Amazon that are sheet detergent. 

Edited by terrydtx

13 hours ago, Retirement2016 said:

That would be a wise choice. We found the extremes in weather to be even wider and don’t forget the wind/rain factor. Have a wonderful time!

I find it hard to believe based on the way they wash multiple bags of laundry with all different colors, etc that they even use hot water.  I would assume they use warm or cold for washing.  Otherwise it seems to me there would be a lot more complaints about peoples laundry coming back tinted from other laundry.  I think the bigger issue is the dryer and what is the heat setting for that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

I think the bigger issue is the dryer and what is the heat setting for that.

Indeed a hot dryer is likely to cause more shrinkage than a hot wash, especially to clothes that have only ever been line dried!