The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 4th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Chinese Valentine's Day/Daughter's Day, National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, and U.S. Coast Guard Day

Money won't buy happiness, but it will pay the salaries of a large research staff to study the problem. - Bill Vaughan

Meal Suggestion for today - Orange Fish in Parchment
Drink of the Day - Derby Spritzer
Wine of the Day - Yalumba - Grenache Barossa Bush Vine 2020
Destination of the Day - Bari, Italy

Today in History:
1944 Anne Frank arrested in Amsterdam by German Security Police (Grüne Polizei) following a tip-off from an informer who was never identified

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Koningsdam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 05 Aug

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0600-1500

Nieuw Statendam

Oslo, Norway 0800-1600

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Oosterdam

Corfu, Greece 0800-1800

Rotterdam

Isafjord, Iceland 0800-1700

Volendam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska 0900-0930

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Zaandam

At Sea destination Qaqortoq, Greenland eta 05 Aug

Zuiderdam

Akureyri, Iceland 0700-1600

0805World.thumb.png.463497bcae6c2d5751b94a1412c85b13.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 21

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 54°F and raining here.

3 interesting days.

Strange quote.

We visited Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam.

We visited Bari Italy in June 2012 while cruising down the Adriatic sea from Venice on Royal Caribbean Splendour of the seas.

It was an uninteresting port.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 30

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Tina, Dixie, and Ann for the TGIF Fleet Report and Daily.  I'll pass on the first 2 of today's days but will try to enjoy a cookie today (maybe Oatmeal Raisin rather than Chocolate Chip) and 3 cheers for the US Coast Guard (and ALL Coast Guards),

This was a very sad day in history in 1944.  I find Vaughn's point of view quite interesting.  I have not been to Bari and will pass on the fish.  My alternative is Orange and Grapefruit Medley and Spaghetti Amatriciana as served on MS Prinsendam August 4, 2011.

Off soon to take out trash, a walk in the mall, and then to Wegmans.

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for today’s report, recipes and lists.  Well my last day of work is finally here, it’s a strange feeling but I’m ready.  A nice collection of days to celebrate, I’ll certainly accept a chocolate chip cookie!  The Coast Guard headquarters is across the street from my office and I see the members walking around at lunchtime most days. Where would we be without their vital services?  The quote seems a little silly.  The fish and the drink sound delicious.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Praying for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 38

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A pleasant morning here.  Bertie and I have enjoyed a walk.  This afternoon it should be a sunny 27C (81F).

As a daughter, I'll celebrate Daughter's Day.  My hubby loves chocolate chip cookies.   A big thank you to the US Coast Guard.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I'm sure I'll like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends! Yesterday afternoon we entered foggy waters with the foghorn working to warn other ships we were coming their way.  This morning is sunny again with a temp of 50 degrees.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report. 

I like all the days especially chocolate chip cookies.  I also appreciate the U.S. Coast Guard for their untiring work to keep everyone on the seas safe.  Interesting Chinese Valentine's Day and Daughters Day all in one.  The quote is funny, no thanks to orange fish or a derby spritzer.  Probably a no on the wine, too.  Very sad day for Anne Frank. 😥 Thank you Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for explaining the food and beverages for everyone.

Prayers for our entire group of friends here and our loved ones.  Cheers to those celebrating especially our cruisers.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping.  DS and Ren flew to Virginia yesterday for a couple days at the UVA soccer camp.  DDIL and Kai flew back home to Michigan after a nice reunion in Frisco, TX.  DS tells us he was able to purchase 2 tickets at a huge discount through FC Dallas, for the Lionel Messi Miami game against Dallas Sunday night.  They will be very excited to watch that match up. 

Bari, Italy is the port of the day and I don't see it having been shown here before.  I haven't been there as far as I can recall.  There will be no links but if you have photos please do share them with us.  Italy is a wonderful country to visit!

Happy Retirement Day @Mr. Boston!  Hope everyone has a very enjoyable Friday and start to their weekend.  We are enroute to Qaqortoq, Greenland, my third time there I believe.  We arrive earlier than previously scheduled, at 8:00 am tomorrow and depart at 6 pm.  Then DH and I will join Debbie @dfish and Sue for dinner in Pinnacle Grill.  Looking forward to some good food and good company tomorrow night.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Cooking in parchment paper is a cooking technique that involves wrapping food, typically fish, chicken and/or vegetables in parchment paper. Once wrapped like an envelope, the "packet" is baked in the oven until the entire meal is moist, tender and cooked to perfection.  Although I have parchment paper, I usually make my packets out of foil because I find it easier to work with for this purpose.

I am posting the entire recipe for Bon Appetit Orange Fish in Parchment because many of you can’t get behind the paywall and this is the only recipe I could find for the Meal of the Day. I have copied the recipe for you.

Because the fish, which is flavored with garlic, chile, ginger, and turmeric, is sealed in a pouch before it's baked, it stays extra moist and flavorful with no risk of drying out. If you don’t have parchment, foil works just as well. Feel free to try this method on other types of fish, like salmon, halibut, or cod.

5 garlic cloves, finely grated

1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, finely chopped

3" piece ginger, peeled, finely grated

1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

½ tsp. ground turmeric

4 8-oz. filets sea bass (1"–1½" thick)

Kosher salt

Peel of 1 small clementine, finely chopped

Cooked white rice and lime wedges (for serving)

Step 1 Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 450°. Mix garlic, chile, ginger, oil, and turmeric in a small bowl to make a paste. Place fish on a paper towel and pat dry. Season all over with salt. Using half of the paste, coat 1 side of each filet. Place a 2-foot sheet of parchment paper on work surface. Arrange filets, paste side down, on half of parchment; coat top sides with remaining paste, making sure to evenly cover the entire surface. Top filets with finely chopped clementine peel and fold other half of parchment up and over fish. Fold each open side over three times to seal parchment and make a pouch. Chill 30 minutes.
Step 2 Transfer pouch to a rimmed baking sheet and bake 10–12 minutes. Turn off oven and let fish sit in oven 1 minute longer—the pouch should have puffed up at this point. Remove from oven, let pouch cool 1 minute, then open (be careful of the hot steam inside!).
Step 3 Transfer filets to plates and spoon juices from pouch over. Serve with rice and lime wedges for squeezing over.

Image may contain Plant Fruit Food Citrus Fruit Lime Cutlery and Fork

Easy Baked Fish in Parchment puts olives, squash and tomatoes inside the packets.  There are a few orange slices in each packet too but I’m not sure how much flavor they would impart.

om7cXh56N_fBzASmK3l-0hLyNE7ixh8LYLvuEn1Q

I’m definitely going to try this Honey Orange Salmon in Parchment  I try to serve salmon once a week because it is so goood for you.  I love the combination of sweet and spicy.

ju23kMQaS0PkOnF_bfL6b5-trfIO2t6qzVJhiR_q

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

Derby Spritzer cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam® Bonded
Club Soda
Mint, Fresh
Pinch of Sugar, Granulated
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Muddle fresh mint leaves and sugar in a highball glass. Add ice to glass then pour in Jim Beam. Top with Club Soda, to taste. Garnish with a lime wedge squeezed and dropped in.

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 7.07.34 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, lung infection, on ECMO

Mamaofami’s DH Sam back in the hospital for brain bleed

1Angelcat’s friend Barb having surgery today for pancreatic cancer

NextOne’s friend Denny with a large stroke, and his DW Bonnie

Sharon in AZ’s family member’s situation

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Kazu’s dear friend’s DH with leukemia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Congratulations on your retirement Mr. Boston!

Catmando to start immunotherapy next week and ok to cruise

Kochleffel getting accepted into graduate program and attending the Glimmerglass Opera Festival this weekend

RMLincoln’s DH’s good post eye surgery report

Congrats to Seasick Sailor on the adoption of Oliver!

Kazu’s Ivan doing better

Ger_77’s DH much better from gout attack

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Copper10-8 (Nieuw Amsterdam Aug 6 to Aug 13)

AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam to Aug 13), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 17

15 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for today’s report, recipes and lists.  Well my last day of work is finally here, it’s a strange feeling but I’m ready.  A nice collection of days to celebrate, I’ll certainly accept a chocolate chip cookie!  The Coast Guard headquarters is across the street from my office and I see the members walking around at lunchtime most days. Where would we be without their vital services?  The quote seems a little silly.  The fish and the drink sound delicious.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Praying for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

Best wishes on your retirement.

retirement-wishes-image-1024x597.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  I’d like to have a chocolate chip cookie while it’s still warm from the oven.  I only have two scheduled meetings today so maybe I can get caught up on the work backlog. @Mr. Boston congratulations on your retirement!

My Zaandam Mariner points were updated yesterday. We got seven spending points and our spending was very light, I guess HIA really helps.  They also processed our credit on departure day.

Wishing everyone a nice day today.

image.png.6bbb3b744008afb3e6af59df07d88821.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Hmmm, second day in a row that I’m awake at 4am and can’t fall back asleep. I’m usually an early bird but this is getting ridiculous. 

But at least I can do my Wordle and start reading the Fleet Report and Daily. Hopefully soon the Care list gets shorter and the Celebrations list longer. Prayers and “yippees” going out to all. Take care!

• Like 33

Good morning, everyone!

Another lazy sea day for us.  We’ll have lunch at the Pinnacle Grill today and we’re looking forward to a nice dinner tomorrow with @StLouisCruisers Sandi and Dennis.

Wishing everyone a good day and special thoughts for those with health issues.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone. @Mr. Boston enjoy your day!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🍾

We got our Living Trust done yesterday. The law firm used recommended that we strengthen our auto and home insurance with a million dollar umbrella policy. Upon getting home we quickly did so at a nominal annual cost. The lawyer didn’t have to do much to convince us after talking about some of his clients who were at fault in auto accidents. They had basic auto insurance which didn’t cover the medical cost of victims and his clients were having to use personal savings. Should have had this coverage years ago. Enough on that.

If all works out the tree service folks are supposed to arrive today. With heat advisories in affect I wouldn’t blame them if they didn’t show. The problem with that is they wouldn’t have worked at all this very warm summer.

I enjoy fish but would rather have it grilled. Have not been or heard of today’s port. Thanks for The Fleet Report and thoughts to all with medical issues whether themselves or spouses.

Have a great day. Bruce

The Ice Man would be busy this summer!

image.thumb.jpeg.79b92150f92ed8cb422cf810648eb929.jpegimage.jpeg.82b4796837ab21bee5754fe7d84e6ac9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6f69ab737a0938a799424d4e6cc5b24a.jpegimage.jpeg.8504180eb7422e1621e101b4d628d4c6.jpegimage.jpeg.c679a6bebfc272094f0e9873fcfc5e0f.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 18

5 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  I’d like to have a chocolate chip cookie while it’s still warm from the oven.  I only have two scheduled meetings today so maybe I can get caught up on the work backlog. @Mr. Boston congratulations on your retirement!

My Zaandam Mariner points were updated yesterday. We got seven spending points and our spending was very light, I guess HIA really helps.  They also processed our credit on departure day.

Wishing everyone a nice day today.

image.png.6bbb3b744008afb3e6af59df07d88821.png

That's good that you got so many spending points with HIA.  We are hoping for the same this cruise, doubling the number of days of the cruise.  Last December we got 28 spending points to go with our 28 days cruising.  This time doubling our days of cruising will put us over the top for 5 star Mariner status!

• Like 31

Happy Friday everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Feeling a bit under the weather today. Today will be a day of rest for me. I have four classes of assignments today so I will work on that. I have my oral presentation scheduled for 8/21/2023 so that I will need to work on my PowerPoint slides for that. If all goes well, I should complete my doctorate by the end of this year with commencement scheduled for next year. It has been a long and hard journey working on my doctorate. Balancing work and classes as well as losing two family members made it a challenge. Finally, the end is in sight. I earned this. 

Fancy will get a bath this weekend. She is a little odiferous. I caught one of the cats playing with Fancy's favorite bone. Chase wants to be a dog. I must say, Fancy has livened up the place. 

I celebrate Chocolate Chip Cookie Day every time I get my hands on one. 

Congratulations on your retirement @Mr. Boston

Thinking of all on the care list today. Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Grab Hold Of the Elegant Funny Friday Cat Memes - Hilarious Pets Pictures

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report. I have been very busy at work this week. The never-ending world of Information Technology has its challenges... Oh well, less than 3 months to our next cruise. 🙂

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

20211124_145227.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Happy 232nd Birthday to the U.S. Coast Guard that I was proud to serve in for six years. Many memories!

Congratulations @Mr. Boston on your well earned retirement!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need today.

- Jack

CoastGuardposter.thumb.jpg.0148218f58b5396851f10a2581b1fb08.jpg

One time during my service I was chosen to be in an Honor Guard for a parade, That is me second from the right wihen beards were allowed.

CoastGuardParade1.thumb.jpg.38b6a19a79ad1d0b10b7be26dcac77e9.jpg

That is me carrying the Coast Guard flag.

CoastGuardParade2.thumb.jpg.a6799852e89e14e90e114b3e52eba225.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 10

Good cool and cloudy morning. Thunderstorms are expected later today.

Extra prayers today for Barb and her family for a successful surgery. 🙏

Houdini has a nurse appointment today for bloodwork. Gave him a sedative last night and he gets another dose this morning.Last visit he was really stressed and breathing hard.🤞

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 30

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely start to the day. Another day with no rain. Odd for us. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. Just a routine day for me - finally. Gym, Bindi walks, chores & some pool time. The rest of the time will be spent helping my Sister navigate through the quagmire of supplemental health insurance. Wish me luck. 

IMG_1571.jpeg.b178ce2ca618073eb3c0b01728b8d5ab.jpeg

I need to try this!

IMG_1567.jpeg.8d849efca6434764d3942cb5a86d6d1b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Have a wonderful last day, @Mr. Boston & do NOT look back! 🥂🥳🎉

Get well & stay well everyone!

Yalumba - Grenache Barossa Bush Vine 2020

This Australian Grenache sounds lovely. Another “round” wine! I would love to try it. And I am in luck. - it is widely available and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $14.99.

Winemaker Notes

The fragrance is saturated with brooding plum red fruits, dark cherries and perfumed berries. This is a defined wine showing the richness and concentration of the vintage. The palate is richly textured, fleshy, round and supple, with a red juiciness that merges into velvety tannins.

Enjoy with a pork pie or miso roasted eggplant with tomatoes, dill, mint and black vinegar.

JS93 James Suckling
This has plenty of attractive raspberry fruit and a gently sappy edge. The palate is fresh and sweetly red-fruited, with such easygoing and effortlessly fresh raspberry and red cherry. So, so fresh. Value red that really strokes at the heart of Barossa grenache.
WE92 Wine Enthusiast
Dried herbs, white pepper, crushed flowers and freshly poured tarmac mingle with fresh plum and red-berry fruit on this aromatic, affordable Grenache. The grip of chewy tannins in the mouth is almost surprising. Crisp acidity lifts the primary fruit and spice fla- vors. Structured enough to pair with a pork roast, but light and approachable enough to drink on its own. A top example of how far this variety has come Down Under. Editors' Choice
WS90 Wine Spectator

Elegant and fresh, with cherry, strawberry and rhubarb flavors at the core, accented by details of sage, black tea and dried lavender and ending with a hint of cocoa on the finish. Drink now. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Happy Friday everyone.  

@Mr. Boston  congratulations on your retirement. 🍾

@1ANGELCAT. Prayers for your friend Barb as she has her cancer surgery today. 

Thanks for the Daily reports @richwmn.   I like chocolate chip cookies and have found a decent brand of sugar free.  A very strange quote.  @0106 thanks for taking the time to transcribe the recipe for us, the first one looks like a winner.  Pass on the minty drink but the Aussie Grenache should be great.  Never been to Bari hopefully someone will share photos. 

Several weeks ago there was a biopic on Miep Gies and the Frank family.  It was very well done and so sad that someone ratted them out.  

@JazzyVthanks for keeping us updated on all the celebrations and illnesses in our group. Prayers for Murphy, Barb, everyone else on our list and the people of Ukraine.  

We have cooler weather today so moving plants is on my agenda.   We fished yesterday afternoon even though there were white caps on the lake, first drifting and finally behind a couple of islands.  No walleye but we had the big one John caught on Wednesday for dinner.  It was tasty. Have a nice day. Nancy 

IMG_20230803_161127054.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. It is cloudy and warmer today with a return of the usual August humidity. I forced myself to take the dogs walking early. The teenager got tired of being the dog walker and they  really need the exercise. I need the exercise.

Thank you Tina @0106 for the recipes. I am going to try the first one after I get some oranges. We try to have fish twice a week here and salmon is the favorite.

@Mr. Boston, Congratulations on your last work day. Retirement is great!

@marshhawk, Annie, I am so glad Chuck has a start date for treatment and I hope your pulmonology visit is helpful. The Greece and Italy cruise sounds fabulous.

DH is having a hard time with the expected side effects of the chemo meds. Eating is not easy and he has lost more weight in the last week . It is interesting to watch how both dogs sit right by him most of the day, lending moral support. They certainly seem to know he needs doggie love.

Tana is managing this week with an aide only part time so it has been busier for me. We found a nice woman willing to help for a few hours while her usual aide has time off.

Wishing everyone here all the best.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 8