Platinum and Diamond now have to show up at check-in appt slot

mizLORInj

6 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I’m pretty sure this is just in Galveston only. 

i am cruising on the venezia in two weeks and i got the same email for my cruise sailing out of New York

Edited by shof515

To put all this in perspective.   Any long time cruisers like me will remember what boarding used to be like.  

I remember the fist time I cruised Carnival getting into the terminal and standing in a line for the better part of 45min to an hour to actually get to a desk to check in.  It was a huge cattle gate of people to get through.

It was this way a long time.  Even the process once we hit Platinum in the beginning was longer then now sometimes.  I remember the 'special' lines/rooms we could go to but there could even be some wait there.  Sometimes we would have to sit down and wait to be called back up to the desk to check in.

I LOVE the way it is now.  It is so much more efficient and fast for everyone!  Ya there are still lines, but they move quick and we are usually in the door, checked in,  and sitting down waiting to board within 10 - 15 minutes tops.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wemjam said:

To put all this in perspective.   Any long time cruisers like me will remember what boarding used to be like.  

I remember the fist time I cruised Carnival getting into the terminal and standing in a line for the better part of 45min to an hour to actually get to a desk to check in.  It was a huge cattle gate of people to get through.

It was this way a long time.  Even the process once we hit Platinum in the beginning was longer then now sometimes.  I remember the 'special' lines/rooms we could go to but there could even be some wait there.  Sometimes we would have to sit down and wait to be called back up to the desk to check in.

I LOVE the way it is now.  It is so much more efficient and fast for everyone!  Ya there are still lines, but they move quick and we are usually in the door, checked in,  and sitting down waiting to board within 10 - 15 minutes tops.

You are correct, it is better

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

I posted it due to the email I got last night.    John is on vaca right now but I'm sure someone will bring to his attention on another platform since there was a lot of dialogue when plat/dia had an issue in (I think it was) Galveston.   

I hope no one tries to bother JH on his vacation. If anyone deserves some uninterrupted time off, he does. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I’m pretty sure this is just in Galveston only. 

Other than during covid protocols platinum and diamonds as well as FTTF are required to choose a time during checkin but may arrive whenever and use the priority line. That’s been the way for years other than recently at Galveston where they don’t have adequate space for a priority line. It’s one line until you get through security then they have priority line inside. 

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

How does rccl do check in?  Back to bashing I see.  How boring.

I still was unaware with carnival that specifically you can arrive anytime you want if plat or diamond. Yes I've been mostly Galveston but also it never occurred to me one way or another and I've tried to be on time. Yes I've boarded as priority and like it, but didnt know there was a policy we had to arrive on time.

Jimbo rcl check in is at 45 days for the whole ship, midnight ship time it opens. No extra 2 days for priority so just get on and easy to get earliest time if you can be free at midnight. The big thing on rcl imo is getting on when shows open and getting them booked, just oasis class. Maybe quantum class not sure. Havent done quantum class. Smaller older ships shows arent bookable. Comedy show is the hardest as it's in a small venue, just like on carnival. I've waited for comedians on carnival and as carnival moves forward with bigger ships, it might be a way to control lines and traffic flow.

On rcl booking shows is only for the new larger ships. Of course lots of no shows. At 15 minutes before they let in the standby line. So far I always get in from the standby line, just not first dibs on seats.  My sept 17 allure cruise just opened last week, got in smoothly and got earliest time. The next day they sent a email to book shows and didnt work lol then that night maintenance so i finally got in 3 am booked shows for Sept 17 and sept 24 b2b. 

Lol I still think a rule about being on time to check in at the terminal is odd .. news to me. I'm early to wait in priority area. Carnival used to call by priority but think they werent in Galveston last couple of times on carnival. No priority boarding set up in terminal but I assume fixed?

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I still was unaware with carnival that specifically you can arrive anytime you want if plat or diamond. Yes I've been mostly Galveston but also it never occurred to me one way or another and I've tried to be on time. Yes I've boarded as priority and like it, but didnt know there was a policy we had to arrive on time.

Jimbo rcl check in is at 45 days for the whole ship, midnight ship time it opens. No extra 2 days for priority so just get on and easy to get earliest time if you can be free at midnight. The big thing on rcl imo is getting on when shows open and getting them booked, just oasis class. Maybe quantum class not sure. Havent done quantum class. Smaller older ships shows arent bookable. Comedy show is the hardest as it's in a small venue, just like on carnival. I've waited for comedians on carnival and as carnival moves forward with bigger ships, it might be a way to control lines and traffic flow.

On rcl booking shows is only for the new larger ships. Of course lots of no shows. At 15 minutes before they let in the standby line. So far I always get in from the standby line, just not first dibs on seats.  My sept 17 allure cruise just opened last week, got in smoothly and got earliest time. The next day they sent a email to book shows and didnt work lol then that night maintenance so i finally got in 3 am booked shows for Sept 17 and sept 24 b2b. 

Lol I still think a rule about being on time to check in at the terminal is odd .. news to me. I'm early to wait in priority area. Carnival used to call by priority but think they werent in Galveston last couple of times on carnival. No priority boarding set up in terminal but I assume fixed?

I get it.  I was really just referring to how they do embarkation, could have been clearer…my bad.  I think that process will be beeter with the new “way” 

10 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

I posted it due to the email I got last night.    John is on vaca right now but I'm sure someone will bring to his attention on another platform since there was a lot of dialogue when plat/dia had an issue in (I think it was) Galveston.   

This isn't something new.  I received the same email back on May 12th, so I'm sure it has already been brought to his attention.

image.thumb.png.bc41564e75ba18009a9876f7eeb57905.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've never heard that plat and diamond are ok to show up whenever they want. 

Too early I can understand having to wait, but if you are late, I dont see how they can turn you away. Unless someone is late and turned away and misses their cruise I wouldn't worry. Worrying about wording is beyond what I can do right now. Got enough going on. 

May be they make them wait , just to teach a lesson ?  😁

28 minutes ago, PopCorn-007 said:

May be they make them wait , just to teach a lesson ?  😁

or maybe they are trying to improve the experience for their customers....which could it be, which could it be?  😅

• Like 2

This is pulled right off Carnival's website. As of right now it still basically it says Plats and Diamonds must arrive within their arrival window appointment time, but if they arrive after their arrival appointment they will still be accomodated in the Priority line. So essentially that tells me Plats and Diamond can arrive anytime during or after their appointment window and will be put thru the priority line but cannot arrive early. Does anyone read that differently?

Screenshot_20230805_172919_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230805_172933_Chrome.jpg

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Has any of the online messaging changed since JH confirmed plat/dia could show up whenever?  I guess I’m confused if this is new policy or just the same messaging it’s been all along?

Essentially, according to this Plats and Diamonds can show up whenever. Since we can choose an arrival time 16 days before the cruise (2 days before non Plats/Diamonds), just pick the earliest arrival appointment then you can show up whenever. Some will argue that by taking an early slot with no intention of using it you will be preventing someone else from choosing that slot later on.

But basically, yes, with that hack per this policy on Carnival's website as of today, Saturday August 5, 2023 at 6:30 PM central time, you can show up anytime you would like as a Plat or Diamond.

1 minute ago, stobe1 said:

Essentially, according to this Plats and Diamonds can show up whenever. Since we can choose an arrival time 16 days before the cruise (2 days before non Plats/Diamonds), just pick the earliest arrival appointment then you can show up whenever. Some will argue that by taking an early slot with no intention of using it you will be preventing someone else from choosing that slot later on.

But basically, yes, with that hack per this policy on Carnival's website as of today, Saturday August 5, 2023 at 6:30 PM central time, you can show up anytime you would like as a Plat or Diamond.

Your saying Anytime as long as you picked an early time with your 48 hr early check in right?  JH had recently said it didn’t matter your arrival time at all. 

We always have an early time so I’m not concerned I’m just confused why this is all coming up now.  Did it change at 6:30pm?

I don’t know why they can’t just auto check-in the plat/dia and assign the earliest time (or times if a significant number).  SW airlines does this for their A list and A list preferred members.  And those that pay for early bird get a boarding number just after the priority members. That’s how FTTF could work. 

10 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Your saying Anytime as long as you picked an early time with your 48 hr early check in right?  JH had recently said it didn’t matter your arrival time at all. 

We always have an early time so I’m not concerned I’m just confused why this is all coming up now.  Did it change at 6:30pm?

I don’t know why they can’t just auto check-in the plat/dia and assign the earliest time (or times if a significant number).  SW airlines does this for their A list and A list preferred members.  And those that pay for early bird get a boarding number just after the priority members. That’s how FTTF could work. 

I dont know what JH said. I dont do Facebook at all so I cant say. All I can comment on is what the written policy is on Carnival's website as of right now.

I do know JH has been wrong in the past based on what I have read here on CC and he has had to do some serious back peddaling. 

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 3

Totally worked to our benefit with the Plat/Diam's arriving early before check-in time in San Francisco.  Their line was easily 4 times longer than those non-plat/diam's than ours - we are gold with normal check-in line.

The Plat/Diam's seem to be totally screwing themselves with their self-serving attitude.  Not enough that they get 2 extra days for online check-in selection.  🤣 

I actually really like the 'fixed time-slot' procedure as a Preferred guest and have grown accustomed to adhering to our window. At the 16 day mark I can get any slot I want based on our travel plans to the port. Sometimes, like in Miami when I'm simply cooling my heels at the hotel, I'll select the first one. Sometimes, when traveling from some greater distance, I might select a slightly later one.

London > Dover this month is a perfect example of that. We already have our train tickets down that morning and know what time we'll arrive in Dover. I picked the appropriate boarding window based on that. I'm sure that when we arrive we'll be ushered through the appropriate queue and onboard as efficiently as possible.  Easy.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I actually really like the 'fixed time-slot' procedure as a Preferred guest and have grown accustomed to adhering to our window. At the 16 day mark I can get any slot I want based on our travel plans to the port. Sometimes, like in Miami when I'm simply cooling my heels at the hotel, I'll select the first one. Sometimes, when traveling from some greater distance, I might select a slightly later one.

London > Dover this month is a perfect example of that. We already have our train tickets down that morning and know what time we'll arrive in Dover. I picked the appropriate boarding window based on that. I'm sure that when we arrive we'll be ushered through the appropriate queue and onboard as efficiently as possible.  Easy.  

Yup.  Same experience 

I started to ask this question before we left on Sunshine this past Monday.  But we had the earliest check-in time (9:30) so it didn’t really matter. We didn’t arrive until 10:20 or so and by the time we got to the check-in warehouse, they had already called all priority groups to board.  My family members had FTTF and a 10:30 arrival time, but since they had already called FTTF to board before we arrived, it seems like they could have gone early.

I don’t know if they would have turned us away if we had a 1pm arrival time. But it did appear (in Charleston at least), all priority groups (regardless of arrival appt time) were allowed to check in and board before they started with any other boarding groups (B04, C01, etc.). All of the non-priority people with early arrival times were sitting and waiting to be called. This would seem to support the “it doesn’t matter what arrival time you pick, just show up early if you want to” theory. 

But my question is…if this is the case, why do we get the 2 extra days to choose an arrival time?  That shouldn’t be necessary if arrival times don’t matter. 

I think it was a Covid procedure that they have just never done away with, even after they reinstated priority embarkation. But it sure is causing a lot of confusion. And the website clearly says one thing and JH clearly said something completely different recently. 

2 hours ago, momin05 said:

I started to ask this question before we left on Sunshine this past Monday.  But we had the earliest check-in time (9:30) so it didn’t really matter. We didn’t arrive until 10:20 or so and by the time we got to the check-in warehouse, they had already called all priority groups to board.  My family members had FTTF and a 10:30 arrival time, but since they had already called FTTF to board before we arrived, it seems like they could have gone early.

Well, that's the thing... for those that follow the check-in rules, it could work out to their benefit.

Check-in in San Francisco was very efficient.  They had 6 lanes (roped off lanes) each representing a check-in time - eg. 9:30-10:00, 10:00-10:30, etc.  The first two lanes were clearly full of Plat/Diam passengers as the check-in time was 9:30, if I recall.  Our lane was 11:00-11:30.  We arrived at the port at 9:45... dropped off our luggage with the porter and were in line before 10:00.

Well, they had already started releasing lanes to enter the terminal before we arrived at our lane... went very fast.  They released our lane at maybe 10:05... and as stated, the "priority" line inside the terminal was extremely long due to the number of Plat/Diam cruisers.  There was no line to speak of in the "non-Priority" line... we buzzed right through to the Check-in counter and were seated for boarding by 10:15.

• Like 1

We have tried to choose a check in time that suits us for each port, instead of just grabbing the earliest possible time slot that is open.  I see in the "group" pages where people obsess about getting the first possible check in slot.  I also have noticed when the Platinum and Diamond check in is over, folks with regular check-in (instead of 2 days early) still get some very early slots.  So not all the early boarding slots are allotted during early check in.

Personally- if I have been traveling the day before and get to my hotel late, there is no way on earth I want to drag my butt out of bed and rush to the port by 10:00 or whatever it is.  The last couple of times I picked 1 p.m. arrival times.  🙂

I have also observed people taking the very first arrival appointments post online their plane was delayed or some other thing happened, so they arrived at noon.  Life gets in the way of rigid planning.  We arrived a bit late a couple of times and were waived through once and put in the later arrival time line another time.  So I too, believe the agents at port make decisions based upon crowds and conditions.  

I don't understand the issue.  Just choose a check in time that works for you and show up at that time.  If your preferred time is full, take the next slot.  We are all getting on the ship.  When Platinum and Diamond got "priority" we wound up sitting in the "priority" lounge full of people, in a loud terminal, usually hot and sweaty- for god only knows how long before the cleared the wedding parties and suites for boarding anyway.  I much prefer to walk at a nice pace through a quickly moving line instead and basically trotting right onto the ship.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pjhootch said:

I don't understand the issue.  Just choose a check in time that works for you and show up at that time.  If your preferred time is full, take the next slot.  We are all getting on the ship.  When Platinum and Diamond got "priority" we wound up sitting in the "priority" lounge full of people, in a loud terminal, usually hot and sweaty- for god only knows how long before the cleared the wedding parties and suites for boarding anyway.  I much prefer to walk at a nice pace through a quickly moving line instead and basically trotting right onto the ship.

I don’t understand it either. The priority is getting to choose the time you want before other people. And then board pretty much as soon as you get there or as soon as boarding starts. I understand that before there were check in times that the priority was to arrive whenever you wanted, but this time slot system is so much more efficient! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 6:38 PM, Drew B 58 said:

Just a guess, but I would bet that it has next to nothing to do with the port agent and their mood and everything to do with how backed up they happen to be at that moment.  If there’s a line, it would be unfair to the folks who are there at their proper appointment time to make them wait for someone who isn’t.  If there’s no appreciable line, then there would be no good reason not to let people in outside of their appointed slot.  Getting them in now would mean less crowding later, which benefits everyone…

You could be right. Who knows? We board the Valor tomorrow here in New Orleans and I will report back based on what I observe. We flew in yesterday and are enjoying the city. 

In the mean time, time for another hurricane! And jambalaya and oysters tonight at Felix's!! 

• Like 2