I guess we missed the announcements. So now we pay for…?

gottagocit

On 8/6/2023 at 3:22 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Welcome back!  😉

Here’s another thread started today to clarify and show you a link that explains the RS charge.

Also FAQ #4 & 5:

image.thumb.png.eb97660b8c00a1f29c32f6ff73805319.png

Just to clarify, if you need more hangers or towels and call your room steward on the PRINCESS ROOM PHONE, is that an extra charge?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Just to clarify, if you need more hangers or towels and call your room steward on the PRINCESS ROOM PHONE, is that an extra charge?

I’m not on a ship yet since this change.  

But, if I need hangars, towels etc, I wouldn’t call RS, I’d just let my cabin steward know.

By reading the FAQ  above:

Housekeeping items, your cabin steward has an extension to call, so that’s not RS.  I believe that’s what they’re referring to as no charge.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 2:16 PM, Steelers36 said:

They don't like to broadcast the bad news.  Instead, they have a spin session webinar for TA's to convince them to sell those packages because they have even more value than last month.

"Spin sesseion webinar" oh that is so true!!!! Sell packages no matter whether it works for your clients or not or they will be relegated to the Blue Line.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

But, if I need hangars, towels etc, I wouldn’t call RS, I’d just let my cabin steward know.

Housekeeping items, your cabin steward has an extension to call, so that’s not RS.  I believe that’s what they’re referring to as no charge.

Thanks for the clarification.  

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

I think it's great for our next 2 scheduled cruises!  We even already upgrade to Premier on our 2024 cruise to get 2 specialty dinners ... it was only $20 pp per day

If you're on a 4 or 5 day cruise, your investment to upgrade from plus to premier is 160/200.  The two nights of specialty dining is worth 156.  So for the additional 4 or 44 dollars you would get all of the other peripheral items included with the premier package.  For cruises that are 6+ days only you can determine if spending an extra 84 or more dollars over and above the specialty dining cost is worth it or not and how much value it is to you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

That’s pretty much what hat I am seeing as well.   People sometimes get stuck in that ‘it’s used to be free mentality’ while everything else is going up trifold.  Well, it’s just not like that anymore and they can be mad and stay home, try to find something new (like camping) or they can deal with it.  The packages are the best deal going!  We just upgraded on 5 of our future cruises to the premier package .. such a great deal.  

We almost only travel on grand class ships. Are next 7 cruises are all on the Crown, Ruby, Emerald and Grand. So mostly nothing to get that great from premier. We will stick with Plus packages

4 hours ago, suzyed said:

And with the cruise line demonstrating their lack of loyalty so will the long time Princess cruisers. Many of us will be cruise shopping and comparing.

And you pay more for the same fares and amenities 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If you're on a 4 or 5 day cruise, your investment to upgrade from plus to premier is 160/200.  The two nights of specialty dining is worth 156.  So for the additional 4 or 44 dollars you would get all of the other peripheral items included with the premier package.  For cruises that are 6+ days only you can determine if spending an extra 84 or more dollars over and above the specialty dining cost is worth it or not and how much value it is to you.

Step right up folks. The more you spend the more you save. Welcome to the carnival, folks! We have a wild and wonderful array of attractions here for you. From wild games to delicious food, there’s something here for everyone! And if you’re feeling lucky, why not try your hand at one of our classic carnival games? You could walk away with a prize! So what are you waiting for? Come one come all and take part in the fun!Step right up, ladies and gentlemen! Come one, come all to the greatest show on earth!

Edited by roadster08
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, suzyed said:

And with the cruise line demonstrating their lack of loyalty so will the long time Princess cruisers. Many of us will be cruise shopping and comparing.

Old time Princess cruisers that like the older ships in the fleet may like the offerings from HAL.  Celebrity would cost more most of the time.  Other lines would either be a step below or a step up.

42 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

Step right up folks. The more you spend the more you save. Welcome to the carnival, folks! We have a wild and wonderful array of attractions here for you. From wild games to delicious food, there’s something here for everyone! And if you’re feeling lucky, why not try your hand at one of our classic carnival games? You could walk away with a prize! So what are you waiting for? Come one come all and take part in the fun!Step right up, ladies and gentlemen! Come one, come all to the greatest show on earth!

Nobody is twisting your arm to buy one of the packages, you can always cruise with the standard fare.  And if you think the grass is greener elsewhere, do your research.  Peruse the boards of competing lines on CC, compare prices and make an educated decision. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bassmk said:

On the Princess site in my booking information, it itemizes all of the things included with my Premier package. It's possible I'm overlooking something, but I feel like it's 100% worth the cost. I'm open to someone showing me what I'm overlooking. I fully understand Princess is trying to make as much money as possible, so I know I'm not getting anything "for free."

I added up every item that I will use with the cost they listed and it adds up to $1332.38pp value. I excluded the cost of: free medallion shipping, photo package, fitness classes, Princess prizes, but including those things, the total becomes $1650.67pp. That also doesn't include not having to pay the extra fees that are now charged all over the ship if you don't purchase a Plus or Premier package.

The price difference right now between Princess Standard and Princess Premier for that sailing is $580. Again, I truly am open to learning if I'm wrong or not taking something into consideration. To me, it seems like a good deal, but I certainly don't want to spend extra money if I don't want to. I just don't feel like I am based on my math.

I guess with Premier you get your monies worth but not with Plus. If I decide to upgrade to Premier on my next cruise I would be paying an additional $1000.  Even with the 2 included Specialty dinners I don't see the value for us. 
So for shorter cruises it may be worth the extra layout, for our 25 day it is not....at least for us.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Old time Princess cruisers that like the older ships in the fleet may like the offerings from HAL.  Celebrity would cost more most of the time.  Other lines would either be a step below or a step up.

True.  But previous to this....I didn't even bother looking at other lines.  Now I will.   It's not so much the dollars and cents, it's the switcheroo Princess is pulling on us. We were sold one thing and they are delivering another. 
My Brother and SIL are sailing on Princess in a few weeks....after hearing all the praise I heaped on them about Princess.  Now they are confused and feeling somewhat cheated by all the things that have changed since they booked.  I won't recommend Princess to anyone any longer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Same. I told my cousin and husband  who I am bringing as new to Princess companions all about the perks and now I have to tell them oh we all are ordering room service off of one phone now. So junk!  We will think about the up charge multiple times thru the cruise.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 808cruisers said:

I will likely be looking at other cruise lines. No brand loyalty at this point. Too close to other offerings. I'm open to new experiences if it means it's a comparable cost. 

I'd recommend HAL.  X will cost you more the majority of the time. Oceania and similar lines will cost you more and the entry level lines could be cheaper but will not give you the same level of service.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, suzyed said:

True.  But previous to this....I didn't even bother looking at other lines.  Now I will.   It's not so much the dollars and cents, it's the switcheroo Princess is pulling on us. We were sold one thing and they are delivering another. 
My Brother and SIL are sailing on Princess in a few weeks....after hearing all the praise I heaped on them about Princess.  Now they are confused and feeling somewhat cheated by all the things that have changed since they booked.  I won't recommend Princess to anyone any longer.

HAL and X are the most comparable lines.  Research their boards, listen to the complaints from their long time cruisers, then research the ships and itineraries.  Mixing things up is a good thing.  We'll be on six different lines in 2023.

• Like 1

Yikes also can’t remember the name of the representative that was making that great speech on FB about the positive changes. Was she annoying or what ? 
Can’t stand people trying to sell you stuff likes it’s the best thing in life when it’s all bull. 

I get it that cruise lines want to make money for the huge losses they made during COVID but not honouring those that have already pre-purchased the package is a real cheap shot and hard to comprehend for me. 

This September could be one of our last cruise on Princess and any other lines for a while because I’m not sure we are getting as much for our money as we used to. 

Sea ya

Eric 

• Like 6

OK, so if I have this right, without a princess package, there will now be a charge at the previously free pizza place in the atrium.  A one time (per cruise) charge of $15 will be made for ocean now orders via the medallion and room service will be $5.  Is this representative of the changes?  

Trying to determine the actual changes by reading the all the posts is kind of difficult.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

I wouldn't call RS on cabin phone for cabin items like you listed.  IMO, RS is for food & beverage.  I would call housekeeping.  Actually, I think what happens now when call HK from the cabin is the steward is paged/called.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

OK, so if I have this right, without a princess package, there will now be a charge at the previously free pizza place in the atrium.  A one time (per cruise) charge of $15 will be made for ocean now orders via the medallion and room service will be $5.  Is this representative of the changes?  

Trying to determine the actual changes by reading the all the posts is kind of difficult.   

Pizza place meaning Alfredo's or Gigi's.  Presuming they return Ocean Now ordering to the cabin TV's, then the 1-time $15 service fee covers that as well.  RS fee is per visit/order.  I believe you have the salient points.

If you have $60 Plus or $80 Premier, you get the new stuff.  If you purchased prior to Dec 14 and therefore on the $60/$75 (or was it $70?), you don't get the new stuff unless you upgrade to the new by paying the difference.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 808cruisers said:

I will likely be looking at other cruise lines. No brand loyalty at this point. Too close to other offerings. I'm open to new experiences if it means it's a comparable cost. 

SWMBO and I ended up on cruises with HAL and Cunard when searching for transatlantics to get us over to Europe for some land travel. It was our first cruise on both lines.  It's interesting to try new lines, and as I've opined before, we are as loyal to any one cruise line as they are loyal to us.

• Like 2

I think there are times we get bogged down in the weeds and forget the main issue.  I believe that each passenger must decide for themselves if a drink package is the best value for them, but that isn't the main complaint here.  The complaint is the way Princess has rolled this out.  The complete lack of communication with booked passengers.  And as far as loyalty, Princess has changed its attitude toward loyal passengers but that has been changing for several years now with the slow removal of amenities and I do believe there is more change coming.  But all the cruise lines are doing the same.  The problem comes in with the way its done.  A webinar with TA's encouraging them to sell more drinks packages is not communicating with passengers.  All it does is exactly what has happened here on Cruise Critic, confusion, debate and yes, sometimes rude and insulting comments, all of which, keeps us from discussing the real issue.  

My DW and I are very loyal to Princess but over the last year have had many issues with them concerning their advertising.  Not long ago they sent out an advertisement that was worded in such a way a person would believe that by booking a certain cruise, the drink package was included.  When trying to book the cruise, we were given a completely different price and told that the additional cost was for the drink package.  After several emails and phone calls from well up the chain of command at Princess, it was agreed that their advertising was not worded properly.  This is just one example of the poor communication between Princess and its loyal/potential clientele. 

We are not drinkers, alcohol or soda, and could never consume enough to make a drink package a "value".   But each much decide for themselves.  As far as Princess goes, well, like others here, we have been doing our research and determining what is best for our cruising future and have come to the realization that when considering everything, Princess may not be our next choice.  

• Like 9

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

If you order your room service via the app, after paying the one time $15 charge,  instead of picking up your phone, you will not incur the 5.00 room service charge.  Alfredo's will either be 15.00 for a prix fix meal of appetizer/pizza or pasta/ dessert or you can get items a la carte.  It's been reported that on the older ships with the limited menu, pizza is 8.50 and it's 12.00 on the newer ships with the expanded menu.

If you have the Plus package, you are entitled to two visits per person to any casual dining venue over the entire length of your cruise, whether that cruise is 4 nights or 21 nights in duration to enjoy the prix fix menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

HAL and X are the most comparable lines.  Research their boards, listen to the complaints from their long time cruisers, then research the ships and itineraries.  Mixing things up is a good thing.  We'll be on six different lines in 2023.

I haven’t cruised on HAL in a very long time but X used to be our favorite cruise line about a decade back.  We had a cruise planned a few years ago on the Eclipse and it was canceled due to a charter.  No problem, we rebooked it for another sailing.  The same thing happened again to the new cruise we booked.  They kept adding onboard credit to our booking.  Then, they canceled three more sailings due to CoVid.  One last move to another cruise as they swapped out our ship .. but now I was up to almost $1000 in OBC.  
Long story short .. we were just kind of bored on Celebrity.  There wasn’t really anything wrong with the cruise but it wasn’t what we’ve come to love on Princess.  A couple of things we really missed were no medallion and ordering food in any other spot except for your cabin.  Plus, the room service charge is $12 per order on Celebrity.  The only venue that served food were the MDR and upstairs on the Lido by the pool and buffet.  Cafe Al Bacio only serves sweets .. nothing like the IC on Princess that serves a variety of small plates.  There also wasn’t one piece of shrimp to be found in the buffet.   The wine choices that we could find on Princess under the plus package were only on the premium package on Celebrity.  There were really a lack of activities to participate in during the day.  
Anyway, there were some positives about Celebrity so don’t mean to make it sound like it was a bad cruise line.  Everybody should try different things to see what they enjoy the most.  
For us, after cruising on many different lines, Princess is what suits us best! 

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1