Best to book early with HAL?

cruiser man 60

22 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Considering booking a Japan cruise in April 2025 , we’re from UK & prices quoted by HAL include have it all which includes drinks, Wi-Fi & gratuities 

is it best booking in advance as it requires c12% deposit or do prices get better nearer date?

I'm a big fan of booking early as the early booking bonus version of HIA you get the elite beverages and Premium Wifi and the gratuities are included. If you can book within 90 days of launch you also get extra OBC with the Mariner early booking bonus.

We use "Future cruise deposits" purchased on a prior cruise, so the deposit is small, but doesn't sound like the case for yourself but worth looking into for future cruises if you are in a HAL cruise and every expect to book another.

We are in Canada and we can re-fare if the price drops, not sure that is an option for you in the UK though.

Another reason we book early is airfare for us is generally the long pole, and by booking early we have a better chance of getting decent flight options and prices.

A final reason we book early is that I have a hard time imagining cruises prices will drop over the couple of years (but who knows).

Good luck with your planning! 

• Like 2

Repricing is not an option in the UK.  When you pay a deposit both you and HAL commit to the contracted price. 

Currently the pricing includes Drinks (15 per day per person up to $15 list price), premium internet (permits streaming) a couple of free speciality restaurant meals and credit towards shore excursions and crew gratuities (currently $16 per day per person for standard cabins). It is a pretty good deal by UK HAL standards.

It is very rare for them to offer low deposits.  There was a recent £1 deposit promo for 3 days only, but offers of that type are as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth.

I have found that prices do drop closer to sailing date, but the choice of cabins is greatly reduced.  You also will find that the special reduced price is for a guarrantee bookings only and for immediate payment.  Selecting your own cabin will be an additional cost and when you then add back in  the price of purchasing Have it All, you will find you are very close to the original price.

The terms in USA/Canada etc are different to UK/Ireland/EU terms so unless you are booking with a 'foreign' travel agent, you should tend to ignore many of the comments you will find on this board as most posters are based in North America.

• Like 2

I am from Canada so won’t talk about re-faring but there has been little chance for me to re-fare so far.

I do tend to book early  for itineraries that are more exotic than a standard Caribbean cruise.  My experience so far is that the prices have gone UP as time goes by, not down.  I am past final payment date for my upcoming cruise and my cruise is still MUCH more $$$$ than what I paid.  And of course, my cabin of choice is long gone.

So, yes, I book early and when you take the Early Booking Bonus into account, it can be very much worth while since the price does not drop once the time is up for the EBB.  At least, not in my experience.

For a standard Caribbean, Mexico cruise, prices are lower inside the final payment window generally speaking but from my experience doing the Bon Voyage threads a lot of these sailings are sold out.

So, I book early and so far, I have been happy I did.

• Like 4

No one is going to be able to predict how a cruise will sell, thus whether there will be better prices later. It can easily go either way. As mentioned, some cruise markets are loaded with cruises, and lower fares are more common. Others are relatively unique cruises, and sell much better.

• Like 1

I always book early to be sure I get a cabin that I will like. I actually spend a lot of time in the cabin, so it's worth it to me to pay whatever extra money I have to pay to get it. If I end up paying more for the early booking, who cares.

• Like 1

The biggest savings by booking early is the Have it All Early Booking Bonus, and it includes a low price guarantee, if the price drops before final payment you get that price without having to rebook.

image.png.4e8e228a62f129c687a62cb71245388d.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The biggest savings by booking early is the Have it All Early Booking Bonus, and it includes a low price guarantee, if the price drops before final payment you get that price without having to rebook.

Plus there is the early bonus OBC for Mariners.   I understand the OP’s dilemma about the large deposit.  Be sure to buy some FCDs, they make the decision easy. 

• Like 1

I'm not picky about my cabin location and I find the best deals right around the last payment date. At that point, they're still offering perks (I got HIA, pre-paid gratuities and OBC on my July sailing) and cabin prices are as low as they're going to get with perks.

I usually pick 1–2 sailings and then watch prices and book when I feel like it's a good combination of price and perks. I've been using this strategy of over 10 years. With that said, I sail out of a local port, so I don't have to factor the airfare implications into my considerations.

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

As mentioned earlier, this applies to North America only.  HAL has different terms in different areas and UK does not get low price/repricing options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

As mentioned earlier, this applies to North America only.  HAL has different terms in different areas and UK does not get low price/repricing options.

I meant to add that this was only in North America in my post.  We also always add Club Orange, since it is limited, it is another reason to book early.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:16 AM, terrydtx said:

Do they automatically adjust your fare if it has dropped, or do you have to watch things and ask for the adjustment?

1 hour ago, KruisinKath said:

Do they automatically adjust your fare if it has dropped, or do you have to watch things and ask for the adjustment?

I do not know, as the price has not dropped on my two upcoming cruises with CO.

1 hour ago, KruisinKath said:

They definitely do not automatically adjust your fare if it drops. Would you expect them to automatically adjust your fare upward if all the fares went up?

50 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

They definitely do not automatically adjust your fare if it drops. Would you expect them to automatically adjust your fare upward if all the fares went up?

If you were paying attention, you’d see I posted in relation to the low fare guarantee, which I have.  Otherwise, I would obviously not normally expect an automatic adjustment, or any for that matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KruisinKath said:

You have to watch and call/email your PCC or have your TA handle it. Re-faring is actually re-booking without the risk of losing your desired cabin, so there have to be available rooms in your catagory. AND, perks will be the current ones which may be different to what you originally booked under.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:57 AM, BobbiSox said:

I always book early to be sure I get a cabin that I will like. I actually spend a lot of time in the cabin, so it's worth it to me to pay whatever extra money I have to pay to get it. If I end up paying more for the early booking, who cares.

I would rather have a lesser cabin with a great location than a "better" cabin with a lousy location.  I prefer to be near the back of the ship but close to stairways with quick access to outdoor deck space.

I book way in advance so i can usually  pick the room that i want...put down the deposit and then have a long time to decide if i want to go or not...if price drops i may ask for refare...if i find a cruise i like better i cancel and get back the deposit. 

All my flights are booked with miles so that is not a problem as they reinstate my miles/taxes no problem....but sort of like cruise cabin i book the award ticket way in advance and generally get a much more attractive flight schedule for fewer miles than waiting when the choices often go down and the miles required go up...not always but usually this works out pretty well for me...

up to you

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

You have to watch and call/email your PCC or have your TA handle it. Re-faring is actually re-booking without the risk of losing your desired cabin, so there have to be available rooms in your catagory. AND, perks will be the current ones which may be different to what you originally booked under.

Great, thanks for the additional info!

On 8/11/2023 at 6:09 AM, CruiserBruce said:

No one is going to be able to predict how a cruise will sell, thus whether there will be better prices later. It can easily go either way. As mentioned, some cruise markets are loaded with cruises, and lower fares are more common. Others are relatively unique cruises, and sell much better.

Agreed. Methinks the future is higher fares and Airfare chaos and tight scheduling. Not long ago certain cruises were nearly $Free$, which made last-minute bookings very doable. Seems not so recently ie 2023.