The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 12th, 2023

richwmn

We were in Boca de Valeria on our 2006 Amazon cruise on the old Regal Princess.  It is a very small, native village downstream from Manaus.  We were told before boarding the tenders that if we wanted to donate money, give it to the school or church, but not to the children.  Their parents would only take the money and spend it at the local watering hole.  Part of the pier where the tender docked was covered in carpet different cruise lines had given the village when they replaced carpet.

There was a dirt path from the dock up to part of the village.  Boy were we glad it was not raining that day.

IMG_0499.thumb.JPG.6371bd9f1ba2d58de49aa801dcf08b6d.JPG

Some of the locals in costumes and with different animals and birds.

IMG_0503.thumb.JPG.e39265d405674265196c3724b9839d7b.JPG

IMG_0505.thumb.JPG.8db401eea644df0cf7cdfc3ee2f2e67a.JPG

IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.120d8cdcb51faef3a85469dbcf047192.JPG

We gave this man a hat we'd brought with us

IMG_0517.thumb.JPG.e3ed192947dd7e45c5d9704ac5c5fd43.JPG

The local church

IMG_0535.thumb.JPG.c4cbb09560b475c53ef7258bc3fbaf7b.JPG

IMG_0538.thumb.JPG.7bfd491d9fa9956f4f1431837ace9582.JPG

The school which at that time had 37 students and 2 teachers

IMG_0536.thumb.JPG.42c51ab5909fe184269cadabc1986f83.JPG

IMG_0543.thumb.JPG.ff3ce97c58ce6d587d411c7a82b756b9.JPG

IMG_0521.thumb.JPG.f91f798478518cacb55cf985bde2cc68.JPG

IMG_0524.thumb.JPG.57e3cdfdfc8163f4c043a285df0005fd.JPG

We got to walk through one house.  There was also a living room with two couches.

IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.2baa3cb70cb2d4470ef5f00ca311a143.JPG

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.0a184c38453f725a9524f26a69c281cb.JPG

IMG_0530.thumb.JPG.93d693c407b5083041119f44be88924c.JPG

Various scenes around the village

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.9636c65fc94c86751051f9a609b08c35.JPG

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.4662b98de4ffc7df885d09767121dcd0.JPG

IMG_0525.thumb.JPG.8876f6d9cafc291533476b05dd5cc64c.JPG

Once back on the ship, many from the village came out in these boats wanting us to throw money to them.

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.0a7c779da8e25225704c7274a8ce9195.JPG

The view from the ship

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.ca7bf57587912ac61c77aa8aedd4244c.JPG

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  After an MRI, CAT scan, and a Colonoscopy they still haven't discovered the cause of my MINOR problem.  It is something I will live with I guess.  Not life threatening so all good. 

How frustrating, Dixie 😔. I am glad it is not life threatening but living with problems is not a challenge anyone wants to deal with.  So sorry they couldn’t resolve it 😔 

55 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

My DH is doing a little better this morning  after a blood transfusion  and multiple IV antibiotics. DD and I will head over soon to the hospital.He is in a private room since his bloodwork is quite off.

The ER folks bent the rules and let the two of us stay with him until he was in a room.The oncology nurses were also so kind and supportive.

DSIL was left in charge of Tana and did a great job.

I am so fortunate to have my family with me at this time.DS is arriving from New Hampshire  this afternoon.My brother is also planning a visit  later today.

Hopefully  there will be good news today.

I am glad to hear that your DH has some improvement this morning.  I hope it can continue to grow.  It sounds like you are being treated well by the hospital team.  I am so glad you have family around you to help and support.  You are all in my prayers 🙏 

50 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

DH had a very high eye pressure reading last night in the surgery eye at bedtime. He redid it twice, similar results. So we called the after-hours number they gave us with the surgery discharge and they called back within a half hour. We got some explanation of what was probably happening and instructions to add back one of his previous medications (a double one) which lowered the pressure 👍. Very thankful we have the monitoring device and for the better pressure.  But it made for a late night before an early morning. 

If pressures are still ok this morning we’ll head north to NY as planned. 

Thank heavens you were able to get your DH’s pressure lowered 🙏  It is certainly a blessing you have that monitoring device.   I hope all is well this morning 🙏 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!

DH and I had to make one of life's decisions that you never think you have to make-

We are cancelling the insurance on my car.  It has not run since January, DH isn't able to fix it at this time, and I refuse to pay 800 dollars insurance for 6 months on a 21 year old car that does not run.  It was 500, but I have been informed that insurance is going up with all insurance companies, and mine was going up to 800 every 6 months.  Because my insurance was bundled with the home insurance I was getting a discount (???? really)  And if I cancel the car insurance, my homeowners insurance will go up.  I don't have a problem with homeowners insurance, I have a home, I don't have a car.

My rep tried everything she could to try and get DH on my plan to save the home owners from going up.  Well he called his insurance and asked what it would cost to put me on his car insurance, and his rate went down with me on it.  Well, that was an easy decision to make.  His agent said that the cost would go up later this year, same thing, all insurance companies are raising their rates, but it was still cheaper than me alone on a 21 year old car.

@StLouisCruisersEnjoy that cool air, the heat index in your town this weekend, will be 105.  I doubt if we will see the meteor shower tonight, rain coming in.  You should be able to see it, if you don't have fog, clouds, rain etc.

Prayers to all-

oh. Bubbles showed back up...covered in spider webs and very hungry, guess he got caught somewhere.  Thanks for the furbaby prayers.  During Covid, someone released a bunch of cats into the neighborhood. Bubbles is one of them.  People have moved away, and left their cats here, so we feed them.  They all went a bit wild, they were not feral, but they became wild.  They have no trust in humans.  I wish we could do more, but they wont be touched or held, and every once in awhile, i can pet Bubbles head.  After two years, that is a big accomplishment.  He loved Fawn, and I guess that is why he keeps coming back.

767c77529363309d6b37cfe71b86cda0.jpg

• Like 33

Good morning.   Thanks for our Daily Report each day @richwmn.   Have an awesome birthday!  🎂🍾

A good group of days, too hazy here for us to endure the mosquitos to see the Perseid meteor shower,  too many satellites to pick through too.  We never had Kool Aid, my dad's dairy reconstituted red punch and sold it in their glass milk bottles, the red dye in it always gave me a nose bleed.  I have many vinyl records but I am at a loss how to peddle them, same with a ton of baseball cards.  Want to sell but don't want to get ripped off either.  Memories are an important part of our days each day and have taken us to where we are.  Thanks to all our food and drink contributors.  Lo Mein is something I could make today, the pineapple cocktail sounds perfect and J Lohr is a great cab to pick up when you only have 1 minute in the wine store.   

@smitty34877  you really could use a break. 🤯 Prayers for you and your DH and for Tana.  

@Copper10-8 Happy anniversary! 🍾

@StLouisCruisers happy birthday to DH Dennis. 

We had a good trip to town and topped it off with Broasted Chicken. We decided to bring a box to our neighbors as a surprise and when we dropped it off we were glad we did, they both looked they had been working outside all day.  

Prayers for all on our Care list.   Prayers for baby Murphy and the people of Ukraine. 

First pre season game for the Ravens versus the Eagles.  A cool day here, I hope the sun comes out.  I already have scheduled our boat to be taken out and wrapped around September 5 and finalized our visit to Baltimore on September 22-25, friends and family to be seen that we missed last year when we cancelled due to the East Coast hurricane.  Summer is winding down here. 

Have a good weekend! Nancy 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I hope that it will be clear enough to view the meteors.  Used to love Kool Aid as a kid, cherry please.  Vinyl records were as ubiquitous as mobile phones but way cooler IMO.  I like the quote but it’s a bit melancholy as we ready my brother’s house for sale.  I like the meal and drink suggestion.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list including @smitty34877‘s husband Lou, hoping all of the tests reveal the solution.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 31

Good Saturday morning. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Expecting a warm and sunny day today. Planning on taking Fancy to the park for a long walk. Fancy is very energetic and loves running in the yard. 

I will try the lo mien and the drink of the day sounds tasty. I have several boxes of vinyl records sitting in the garage. If I ca, I will stay up to see the meteor showers. 

Happy birthday to @richwmn.

Happy anniversary to @Copper10-8

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 31

We visited Boca da Valeria in March on the Volendam Grand South America.  When we booked onboard the Nieuw Statendam last year the onboard consultant advised bringing give aways for the kids so I shopped Walmart clearance in October and bought about 3O boxes of crayons for 25 cents a box.   Then before we got on the tender a lady caught us in the lounge and asked if we were going ashore and gave us a huge amount of swag gifts that were HA and Essie give aways.  Necklaces, earrings, pens, hats and about 10 notepads. Needless to say I was popular, I was pounced on when they saw me coming off the tender.  We walked around town but didn't take one of the boats for hire to ride down the river.  We had nice weather, cloudy and not too hot.  It was bookended by a gorgeous sunrise and sunset and ended with a favorite MDR meal Chicken Tikka. 

IMG_20230303_064726628.jpg

IMG_20230303_181757633.jpg

FB_IMG_1677856010213.jpg

FB_IMG_1677855991801.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

FB_IMG_1677855975759.jpg

FB_IMG_1677866374905.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

FB_IMG_1684456448507.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Good morning Dailyites. 

After a busy day yesterday, I don't need to do anything today. Just a load of laundry, feed the birds, make dinner. I don't know what I'll be making but there's options in the fridge. 

Happy Birthday Rich!

Happy Birthday Dennis!

image.png.b4f05f7819511bb82694591a778485c3.png

Happy Anniversary Maria and John! Enjoy your cruise!

image.png.07aaae1fde9f8c2b0780c4b57fed3852.png

Dixie, I'm thinking of you. Prayers lifted for all of our friends on the Daily. Prayers for Sam, Lou, Tana, and our sweet "S".

@ger_77 Gerry thanks for the suggestion of Gatorade. I've tried over the years to combat the cramping with every remedy (remember putting a bar of soap under the sheets?) I am miserable taking statins and hope this Thursday my doctor will request (again) the 2 week injection. 

Any drink with pineapple:

image.png.b387296873f7be959febbd95fbdc106e.png

image.png.232800e52b75f4cb1e3f212ea740b1ac.png

Have a wonderful weekend. Be kind. Call a loved one. Blessings to YOU!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone remember Fizzies?  We had that instead of Kool-Aid, saved on fridge space I guess.

@Seasick SailorI have been using Theraworx Works??  for the leg cramps, it doesn't stop them from coming, but reliefs when they arrive.  I finally read the instructions.  If the cramps are below the knee, rub down to the ankle, if above the knee, rub up to the hip. It travels well, but going through airport security checks were "heck" and on my final bit back to Atlanta, I threw mine out in Seattle, when we had to change planes and go back through security..

My friend Penny says the soap only works if it's Ivory. ( i still thinks that a brain game)

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to add about small river towns in Brazil all had electricity, my last photo shows a satellite dish.  There seemed to be water pipes too.  The current president of Brazil was also president pre Bolsinaro and his goals for the country was every town had water, schools, electricity and sanitation.  One thing that amazed us as we traveled up the Amazon was all the lights we would see along shore at night, not bright but lights. 

• Like 27

Greetings from Reykjavik!

We went downtown this morning on a very successful t-shirt quest and also ran into @StLouisCruisers Sandi and Dennis.  Our excursion is this afternoon to a volcano.

@richwmn Wishing you the happiest of birthdays!

@Copper10-8 Happy Anniversary!

@smitty34877 more hugs coming your way. 
@summer slope while they didn’t find the source of your problem, there must be some relief knowing there is nothing serious going on.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We haven't been able to see the Perseids for a number of years - it always seems to be cloudy, and this year is no exception.  The next few days our forecast is calling for overcast skies and occasional showers; I hope those who are able to see them will enjoy the experience.  We had lots of Kool Aid as kids - I especially loved the dark cherry flavour.  We also had a competitor called Freshie that was good, particularly the lemon flavour.  Both DH and I had considerable collections of vinyl records, but there are very few left now - and of course, we have nothing to play them on, either.  Today's quote is very true.

We had a rather interrupted night of sleep - DH had a call from his older cousin early last evening, just a chat to see how each of them is doing, etc.  It seems our number must have been the last one he dialed and we think he sleeps with the phone by his pillow, as our phone rang at 4:12 this morning and it showed the cousin's number.  There wasn't anyone there when we answered, so we called back.  No answer.  The cousin is very hard of hearing, so we figured he must have taken out his hearing aids and couldn't hear the phone.  There wasn't anything we could do, as we don't know any of his neighbours, etc., so we tried going back to sleep.  Again it happened at 5:30, but this time our message machine picked up and all we could hear was him snoring.  LOL  Needless to say, I think both of us will be needing naps this afternoon.  I know DH is going to call him later today to tell him to put the phone on his night stand so we don't get the middle of the night calls again.

@smitty34877I'm glad Lou's in the hospital where he'll get the best of care; I'm praying that all goes well for him.  So thankful you have family around, with more coming in to help you.

@richwmn wishing you a very Happy Birthday with many returns of the day!

@Copper10-8 John, I hope you and Maria have a wonderful day as you celebrate your anniversary on a BHB today!

@summer slopeI'm sorry they weren't able to get to the root of your problem; hopefully it won't cause you too much grief.

@RMLincolnit's good that the medication helped lower DH's eye pressure, and that you've got a good machine that can tell you when it goes up so you can do something about it quickly. 

I'd like to try the drink of the day if someone else made it for me, am pretty sure I'd enjoy the wine, and think Lo Mein is nice once in a while.  I won't be making dinner tonight, as we've been invited to our friend's for the evening.  His wife (our dear friend Melodie) passed away a year ago, and he now has a friend he wants us to meet, so he's invited us over for drinks and appies this evening.  I'm sure we'll have lots to talk about, as she was a teacher (like DH and our friend), and she's cruised a few times, so the conversation will likely be easy.  I don't know what will be served, but I'm sure it will be good as we enjoy time on his deck tonight.  And wine. 

Prayers for everyone who is in need, particularly for baby Murphy, our ill Daily-ites, and the people of Lahaina and all of Maui.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from a very warm and humid day at the beach

Our crazy hot weather is suppose to break midweek. Then we should return to our usual summer weather. Was suppose to play golf this AM but I cancelled. Heat doesnt bother me but this is too much. My neighbor had to be treated for heat stroke yesterday. Thankfully he is OK.

We didnt have KoolAid . We had Xarex (sp) It was a bottled syrup that you mixed with water.  

@richwmn A very Happy Birthday. May you have many more.

@StLouisCruisers A pre birthday wish to your DH.

@Copper10-8  A very Happy Anniversary to you and your bride.

@smitty34877  Extra prayers for you and DH. You deserve a break!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Please pray for all those affected by the devastating fires on Maui. We have been going for almost 40 years and could barely make out the front street photos. 

@DeeniEncinitas still praying for you and David. I know your communications should be for emergency use but hoping to hear from you soon. Love and blessings to you sis. 

• Like 28

Good morning. Cloudy and cool here. Something came through last night. When the dogs and I went out it was about 58F and it had obviously rained during the night. Wind was still blowing and the air felt very brisk. High today is forecast for 77 and maybe more showers. We can but hope. The Chihuahua told me he was cold and demanded to return to the house as soon as his business was completed. Will take them both out again in an hour or so.

@smitty34877Glad to hear that Lou is getting good care and that you are having help where needed. Hoping for good news about baby Murphy and others. Like others I am still reeling with the news from Maui. I just can't imagine... and really don't want to.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!

DH and I had to make one of life's decisions that you never think you have to make-

We are cancelling the insurance on my car.  It has not run since January, DH isn't able to fix it at this time, and I refuse to pay 800 dollars insurance for 6 months on a 21 year old car that does not run.  It was 500, but I have been informed that insurance is going up with all insurance companies, and mine was going up to 800 every 6 months.  Because my insurance was bundled with the home insurance I was getting a discount (???? really)  And if I cancel the car insurance, my homeowners insurance will go up.  I don't have a problem with homeowners insurance, I have a home, I don't have a car.

My rep tried everything she could to try and get DH on my plan to save the home owners from going up.  Well he called his insurance and asked what it would cost to put me on his car insurance, and his rate went down with me on it.  Well, that was an easy decision to make.  His agent said that the cost would go up later this year, same thing, all insurance companies are raising their rates, but it was still cheaper than me alone on a 21 year old car.

@StLouisCruisersEnjoy that cool air, the heat index in your town this weekend, will be 105.  I doubt if we will see the meteor shower tonight, rain coming in.  You should be able to see it, if you don't have fog, clouds, rain etc.

Prayers to all-

oh. Bubbles showed back up...covered in spider webs and very hungry, guess he got caught somewhere.  Thanks for the furbaby prayers.  During Covid, someone released a bunch of cats into the neighborhood. Bubbles is one of them.  People have moved away, and left their cats here, so we feed them.  They all went a bit wild, they were not feral, but they became wild.  They have no trust in humans.  I wish we could do more, but they wont be touched or held, and every once in awhile, i can pet Bubbles head.  After two years, that is a big accomplishment.  He loved Fawn, and I guess that is why he keeps coming back.

767c77529363309d6b37cfe71b86cda0.jpg

Be careful with cancelling the insurance.  Does the car still have license tags that would allow it to go on the street?  I don't know Georgia law but in Maryland if a car is registered and has tags but not insurance a large fine is levied for each day until either insurance is restored or the tags are returned to the state.  I doubt it would be worthwhile to sell a 21 year old car that doesn't run but is there a charity you could donate it to?

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

31 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Does anyone remember Fizzies?  We had that instead of Kool-Aid, saved on fridge space I guess.

@Seasick SailorI have been using Theraworx Works??  for the leg cramps, it doesn't stop them from coming, but reliefs when they arrive.  I finally read the instructions.  If the cramps are below the knee, rub down to the ankle, if above the knee, rub up to the hip. It travels well, but going through airport security checks were "heck" and on my final bit back to Atlanta, I threw mine out in Seattle, when we had to change planes and go back through security..

My friend Penny says the soap only works if it's Ivory. ( i still thinks that a brain game)

Annie my problem goes way back on muscle cramps. I've tried the lavender bar anecdote, magnesium spray, vitamins, arnica, blue emu, tiger balm, theraworks, stretching,  electrolytes etc. I have a medicine chest full of it! Until I get off the statins I will continue to have cramps. My diet is strict, but my cholesterol is still hovering around 280 to 300, so I have to continue the statins. Will see what endocrinologist tells me Thursday. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday morning to All!  Happy Birthday @richwmn and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I am hoping to see the meteor shower tonight if it continues on into early morning.  I am driving over to the beach leaving around 0400 and it will still be dark.  I did see it once driving from Rock Springs WY back to South Dakota after work once.  It was so cool!!  But had to keep switching back and forth from the sky to the road so that I wouldn't hit any prong horns!!  Koolaid was a treat as a kid (no grape, please).  I remember getting my very first record; won it from the Owl's Who at Halloween.  It was a single with Love Child by Diana Ross on one side (not sure what was on the other side) and I would play it constantly.  We didn't listen to the popular songs then.

The quote is very true for me but I have learned to turn some of the memories that tear me apart to lessons to be learned.  Love Lo Mein and I like the easy one.  Drink - no, wine - maybe, and I will be going to Boca next year on my Amazon cruise.

Humidity is still up though yesterday some storms came in but I didn't have any rain.  Gym this morning and then I will figure out what I am taking to CA tomorrow.  I haven't been to the beach this year so I am looking forward to the ocean.

Thoughts for all on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 28

Slept late then family time. Beautiful day in PA. Went to a beautiful nearby park yesterday and enjoyed a walk. Son and wife are going to auto dealerships to look at new cars. They have gotten the most out of their present vehicles. Tonight is Brazilian Steakhouse.

@richwmn Happy Birthday

@Copper10-8 John and Maria Happy Anniversary.

@smitty34877 Prayers the day brings healing for Lou

Back to family. Have a great day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.ccfc7716d56414ad5f109d6eafdf6459.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.36ead0e385302b44de6991743f791f66.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8521aaa7c309e6873eeed9bb8911abb0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1b7a9bc63dc16e9e1c2dbbcb06a4e97c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5b110f34b28ae04c78d15c8602b1386d.jpegimage.jpeg.c8d9a890ddc169cd654d685cd32b6447.jpegimage.jpeg.95a3006a60b7e4f54cb8a215ce5ff00e.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 22