Live from the Ruby Princess August 15-25

Cruise Raider

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thank you for taking the time out of your cruise to do a live from! Please think about posting a review boards when you come back. Enjoy the rest of your sailing!"

Cruise Raider was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 10 points.

This is the first cruise on the Ruby since the new changes have been put in place.  I thought I’d clear up some of the confusion to the best of my ability.  

Embarkation was a piece of cake in the Port of San Francisco yesterday.  The port was busy with loads of traffic when we showed up right around 11:30 AM.  While the security lines were long, they moved pretty quickly.  Once past security, there were basically no lines for check in.  They still had the priority line available for elite, suites .. so no change there.  The QR code on the app was never checked.  There was no line the the blue lane passengers, either.  
It looked like business as usual as I saw no difference in the boarding process.  
We normally get to the port before 11:00 AM but there was so much traffic on the Bay Bridge, it took an extra 30 minutes to get there.  As we were arriving in the terminal for check in, we heard the announcement that all boarding groups could proceed onto the ship. 
So, if anything, embarkation proceeded just as before, if not faster.  

We have the older $50 Plus Package so we knew that ordering on the app would incur a $14.99 one time fee.  There is a warning that we would be charged and that was that!  The fee was only charged to my account as my DH never uses the app.  It is not charged per guest in the stateroom, only to each person that uses the app.  I’m absolutely fine with the charge as it is only one time and then, no additional charges throughout the entire cruise provided you do not use your cabin phone for room service.  Easy as pie!  Room service took about 30 minutes to arrive this morning.  It always takes longer when I order chicken noodle soup, which I love for breakfast, so wasn’t expecting it to be any faster.  BTW, that chicken noodle soup was excellent. 

Our cabin steward told us about the charge yesterday, too .. he seemed so relieved that we not only knew about it but that we were absolutely ok with it.  
There were extremely long lines at guest services yesterday so, I’m sure not everyone feels that way about it.  

There is no Alfredo’s or GiGi’s on the Ruby so I checked the price of a whole pizza on the app and it is now $8.50.  The options are fewer for the pizza so not sure if we wouldn’t just go upstairs to get pizza anyway.  The ships with a sit down pizza place may have better options. 

IMG_0336.png

IMG_0335.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 15

18 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

This is the first cruise on the Ruby since the new changes have been put in place.  I thought I’d clear up some of the confusion to the best of my ability.  

Embarkation was a piece of cake in the Port of San Francisco yesterday.  The port was busy with loads of traffic when we showed up right around 11:30 AM.  While the security lines were long, they moved pretty quickly.  Once past security, there were basically no lines for check in.  They still had the priority line available for elite, suites .. so no change there.  The QR code on the app was never checked.  There was no line the the blue lane passengers, either.  
It looked like business as usual as I saw no difference in the boarding process.  
We normally get to the port before 11:00 AM but there was so much traffic on the Bay Bridge, it took an extra 30 minutes to get there.  As we were arriving in the terminal for check in, we heard the announcement that all boarding groups could proceed onto the ship. 
So, if anything, embarkation proceeded just as before, if not faster.  

We have the older $50 Plus Package so we knew that ordering on the app would incur a $14.99 one time fee.  There is a warning that we would be charged and that was that!  The fee was only charged to my account as my DH never uses the app.  It is not charged per guest in the stateroom, only to each person that uses the app.  I’m absolutely fine with the charge as it is only one time and then, no additional charges throughout the entire cruise provided you do not use your cabin phone for room service.  Easy as pie!  Room service took about 30 minutes to arrive this morning.  It always takes longer when I order chicken noodle soup, which I love for breakfast, so wasn’t expecting it to be any faster.  BTW, that chicken noodle soup was excellent. 

Our cabin steward told us about the charge yesterday, too .. he seemed so relieved that we not only knew about it but that we were absolutely ok with it.  
There were extremely long lines at guest services yesterday so, I’m sure not everyone feels that way about it.  

There is no Alfredo’s or GiGi’s on the Ruby so I checked the price of a whole pizza on the app and it is now $8.50.  The options are fewer for the pizza so not sure if we wouldn’t just go upstairs to get pizza anyway.  The ships with a sit down pizza place may have better options. 

IMG_0336.png

IMG_0335.png

Thank you for posting the screen shot.  

We have a long voyage later this year which we are choosing standard.  The $15 one time fee is nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for you live from @Cruise Raider.  If you are able, could you check in on the Salty Dog Gastropub and Vines to see if they have updated casual dining menus with the new charges?  They were included in the original announcement but weren't explicitly mentioned on the email that's just been sent out by Princess.

Edited by dides
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, dides said:

Thank you for you live from @Cruise Raider.  If you are able, could you check in on the Salty Dog Gastropub and Vines to see if they have updated casual dining menus with the new charges?  They were included in the original announcement but weren't explicitly mentioned on the email that's just been sent out by Princess.

Vines has definitely implemented the new menu.  We saw it last night.  
I will be checking the GastroPub menu for you tonight.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Vines has definitely implemented the new menu.  We saw it last night.  
I will be checking the GastroPub menu for you tonight.  

Thank you!  If you are able to grab a photo or two that would be good!

Edited by dides
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Thank you for posting the screen shot.  

We have a long voyage later this year which we are choosing standard.  The $15 one time fee is nothing.

I agree .. it’s nothing and we are just using OBC to pay for it anyway.  We got it straight from guest services that the room service and OceanNow deliveries were absolutely inundated since the cruise have gone to full capacity!  
And now, we will probably just get a la carte menu items when we go to the GastroPub and it’s actually cheaper than before as there was always an $18 cover charge in the past.  
I will report back if we can just order one price fixed menu item as then it would be even cheaper yet.  The new changes are actually saving us money.  Plus, I find no need to upgrade from the $50 Plus to the $60 Plus.  It was going to cost $200 more for us to do so and this way, it’s actually less than what we’d usually spend.  
We were considering upgrading to the premier package but no real need for that as the wine choice on both packages are less than before.  I haven’t found a wine that I love yet but will be on the lookout.  
They do have horseradish at Crooners for my bloody Caesar.  If you haven’t tried it with horseradish before, give that a try!  So very good.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dides said:

Thank you!  If you are able to grab a photo or two that would be good!

Sure thing!  I’m not crazy about their newer wine menu but the staff there is so good in trying to help me find something that I love.  Kudos for that .. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I agree .. it’s nothing and we are just using OBC to pay for it anyway.  We got it straight from guest services that the room service and OceanNow deliveries were absolutely inundated since the cruise have gone to full capacity!  
And now, we will probably just get a la carte menu items when we go to the GastroPub and it’s actually cheaper than before as there was always an $18 cover charge in the past.  
I will report back if we can just order one price fixed menu item as then it would be even cheaper yet.  The new changes are actually saving us money.  Plus, I find no need to upgrade from the $50 Plus to the $60 Plus.  It was going to cost $200 more for us to do so and this way, it’s actually less than what we’d usually spend.  
We were considering upgrading to the premier package but no real need for that as the wine choice on both packages are less than before.  I haven’t found a wine that I love yet but will be on the lookout.  
They do have horseradish at Crooners for my bloody Caesar.  If you haven’t tried it with horseradish before, give that a try!  So very good.  

That's a definite improvement for Gastropub. 

I don't want a huge serving of lobster Mac and cheese after I've eaten a huge burger and fries AFTER a fondue and breadstick appetizer, then try and make room for the donuts dessert.

This is a great option. 

We've cruised probably six or seven times well under 50% capacity in late 2021 and early 2022, and thought there's no way this OceanNow deliveries will be able to keep up with the demand. It was struggling then!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Cruise RaiderThanks for doing a live from. I hope you find your rombauer. Check Outriggers. There was that one cruise we took where that was the only bar that had it on the first day if you recall. Have a great time! Hugs 

I think it’s being discontinued but they may have a few bottles left.  But, they are only selling it by the bottle.  I also like Mer Soleil, Hartford and A few other buttery / oaky chards but they don’t really have any.  The Flowers, from the premier package is my only real option even though it’s not my favorite.  Oh well, I’m drinking less this way.  I may go to reds before all is said and done.  Like I said, the staff is trying hard to find me something I like.  But, there is really no good reason for us to upgrade to the premier package.  
We’re still having a great time.  
BTW, Skywalkers had fun nibbles last night … little crudités bowls, some little hot dog bites rolled in mustard and then pastry that Kenny loved, shrimp cocktail, cheese, nuts and dried fruit, chips and salsa and guacamole, maybe something else .. but plenty of food to have for dinner.  
don’t mind the emoji .. can’t get rid of it 

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thought I'd tag along while we wait to go on our next cruise on the CB in mid-October. If I might ask, where is your 10-day cruise going? 

I figured it out using Cruise Mapper. Hope you have a fantastic cruise on your Round-trip Inside Passage with Glacier Bay National Park!

RUBY PRINCESS Current Location (cruisemapper.com)

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingSandgroper said:

@Cruise Raider you might want to also check the Crown Grill Bar. We found that the SB that we like that was previously available at Vines is available at the Crown Grill by the glass. 

Thank you … I will check that out tonight!  
and to dispel any rumors about specialty coffees being included in the daily limit of 15 drinks on the package, they are not! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

So, the prix fix menu for the causal dining can’t be shared between two people.  
If your like to share, you have to use the a la carte menu.  I’m adding a couple ophotos of the menu at the GastroPub as well as the Vines menu. I’ve never seen so many people in the piazza, Good Spirits and Vines.  It is my understanding that the buffet and pool deck were closed due to a medical evacuation that was required today.  It was very foggy today so, the helicopter actually had to go back shoreside to refuel to return for the evacuation procedures.  We understand the passenger was safely evacuated during a break in the weather.  Anyway, I won’t comment any further on the reasons for the evacuation.  

BTW, the food delivery service e menu on the app is slightly reduced.  I’m a big fan of the chicken tacos that used to be available.  I made due with a salad and some chicken tenders, though.  Menus have changed and I can understand this for as long as I can still get something I like.  

BTW, the GastroPub was as busy as we have ever seen it tonight.  And it sure did smell delicious but we already had dinner.  We still may stop in there to eat off the a la carte menu later in the cruise.  

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0355.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

IMG_0355.jpeg

Thank you,!  Different pricing on the savoury plates now - they were 10 dollars each in the first Salty Dog menu released with the announcement but now split into two tiers

• Like 2

Finally a live from the Ruby! Thank you so much for taking the time

Couple of question as I‘m looking forward to my November cruise:

- any confirmation about the dry docking and what’s been done? 
- how is she looking? As rough as some mention? 
- any chances for some current breakfast & dinner menu‘s and daily activities? 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

So, the prix fix menu for the causal dining can’t be shared between two people.  
If your like to share, you have to use the a la carte menu.  I’m

So, I’m surprised you can’t share the prix fix menu at Alfredo’s/Gigi’s.  Are the other casual dining spots the same policy?
TIA

21 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We got it straight from guest services that the room service and OceanNow deliveries were absolutely inundated since the cruise have gone to full capacity!  

I'm not so sure the new fees and package contents will make an appreciable difference.  People are creatures of habit.  It Princess stated expectations are near correct, then about 75% of the passenger load is on one of the two packages.  That leaves 25% approx with Standard.  I imagine a good number of those who were used to Ocean Now will pony up the $15.  The load on resources may not change at all - and could even increase from folks who will want to get their $15 worth by ordering more than ever.

IDK for sure of course, but it will be interesting to see reports come in if Ocean Now and RS service delivery improves, stays the same or worsens.  Poor service is going to result in complaints and guests wanting their $15 refunded.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

So, I’m surprised you can’t share the prix fix menu at Alfredo’s/Gigi’s.  Are the other casual dining spots the same policy?
TIA

Someone posted a good workaround to this if the total cost is better.  One person orders the prix fixe for $15 and the other orders $3 dessert.  That is either $18 or $3 if guest has the free meal.  Next visit, the other person orders the prix fixe and the other the dessert. 

If all a couple wants is a pizza each, that is $17.00 if on Standard and paying.  Just depends what you want to eat.

Also, on another thread it was reported no problem sharing the prix fixe.  Could be variations among the ships as this new way launches.

• Like 1