Applying for Global Entry

Carol28

Does anyone know how long it takes to go through the process of getting Global Entry? How far in advance do I have to ask for an appointment and how long does it take to receive it? Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

Does anyone know how long it takes to go through the process of getting Global Entry? How far in advance do I have to ask for an appointment and how long does it take to receive it? Thank you!

They can approve you on the spot.  When I did mine I got an appt like 3 weeks out but I also had to go 2 hr drive to closest office.  I live in middle of nowhere nh.  Either Boston or Canadian border.  

• Like 1

They have enrollment upon arrival that could work for you: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival

Otherwise it just depends as the bottleneck is obtaining an interview appt; often LA takes months to get an appointment unless you’re able to snag a cancelled appt but 100 miles away in San Diego I’m told takes only a week or two 

3 minutes ago, zanderblue said:

That’s the exact opposite of what they want.  They want an up to date quick summary, not to read 10,000 posts (lol)

The problem is getting an appointment, and depends on where you can go. It took us months to get an appointment, but then when you go you get approved on the spot. Boston can take months unless you check often for a cancelation, In Anchorage AK you can go the next week. Fill out the forms to get the first checkpoint then when approved keep checking appointments.

DH and I applied on the same day, he was tentatively approved within a week, my tentative approval took 6 months. 

I checked daily for appointments, even considered flying somewhere since there was nothing available at SFO, our closest airport.

All of the sudden hundreds of appointments opened up, that was about 4 months after my approval. We were both approved and got our cards within a couple of weeks.

We have had Global Entry for many years and the technology has improved drastically since then!

Today you just walk up to scanner and the agent tells you you ok!

First step is to submit your application. If you’re unable to get an interview it can be done upon your arrival back in the U.S. from overseas! This was a big change from when it first started.

Highly recommend Global Entry! We have used it often and only had positive experiences!

• Like 3

I live in Raleigh NC and the closest appointment centers are Charlotte or Richmond VA, both 3 hr drive.  Neither tend to have appointments available and it's too far to go to chance a walk-in.

When I first got approved 5 years ago, same issue no appointments available.   We had a cruise scheduled out of San Juan so I checked there.  Appointments available any day/any time.  We ended up getting our interviews there.

Fast forward.   I just applied for my first renewal.  Conditional approval was given in 2 days BUT required an interview and asked to schedule an appointment.   Again none available locally.  I was browsing the list of appointment centers and noticed Aruba.  We are cruising to Aruba in Oct and great the day we are there is one of the days they have appointments.  Sign me up.  About a month later I get notified than I'm now approved!  Now when I look Aruba is not listed as an appointment center.  I guess when they closed they looked at my application and just approved it.

My point is be creative.   If you are flying back into the country the interview on entry is probably the easiest way to do the interview.

• Thanks 1

I think it depends on if it is an initial application or a renewal. We have had GE for many years and, as many have said, getting an appointment was a PITA! We filled out all the paperwork and waited. The  first interview was longer than the renewal, but we were approved quickly. It did take a week or two to get our card. Renewal was very easy, say "hi" and off we went.

@wrk2cruise has a good suggestion. Try to look for appointments in "not so busy" places while you are traveling. Alas, most of the GE sites are in bigger airports and few and far between, so getting an appointment can take a while.

BTW, best money we've spent....getting GE! It has saved us countless hours standing in line! Quick and easy! 

@Carol28 Ft Lauderdale and Miami have enrollment centers, so those are very close to you.

Both participate in Enrollment on Entry.....But, they only will take you if you are arriving on an international flight....not a domestic flight nor as a walk-in.

Enrollment on Arrival (EoA) is CBP program that allows Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved to complete their interviews upon arrival into the United States; including those entering the United States via a designated CBP Preclearance location. The EoA program eliminates the need for a Global Entry applicant to schedule an interview at an enrollment center to complete the application process.  

Edited by CaroleSS

FYI only, not a recommendation: https://appointmentscanner.com/

You pay this site $40 and this will continuously search appointment availability.  Fascinating but should only be used if you’re about a month away from the international trip.

Your best bet is to do enroll on arrival, now 3 have recommended it 

Just to be clear the to do the interview on arrival you must have your conditional approval for your application AND be arriving on an international flight  When going through the CBP checkpoint you inform them that you want to do your GE interview.

My story will be a bit different.  I had obtained my Global Entry back in 2017.  I did not renew it before it expired (in 4/2022), so I had to reapply. I filled out the application and paid the $100 on 8/13/2022.  In March 2023 my application was still "Awaiting Approval."  When I questioned this, I was told approval could take up to 12 months.  Sure enough, on 8/8/2023, I was notified it was "Conditionally Approved"

No problem though, since my next trip will be in Jan 2024, and I'll be arriving in Pt Everglades T25, which has walk-through Facial ID, and I won't even have to show any ID.

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Just to be clear the to do the interview on arrival you must have your conditional approval for your application AND be arriving on an international flight  When going through the CBP checkpoint you inform them that you want to do your GE interview.

And ot doesn't always work depending on the airport. When my husband planned to do that for his renewal interview, we got to the CBP checkpoint on the way home and we're told they didn't do interviews at that terminal- the airport had two terminals for international arrivals and only one of them had the office for interviews.

I've renewed twice so far and got the card in the mail. My husband has renewed once and got a letter saying he had to interview to complete the renewal process. I don't know what causes the difference, it may be random or may be because he has a common name. 

The answer to the OPs question is that nobody knows.  From the governments side it is a multi step process with the time depending on many different factors.  Once you do get a conditional approval (this can take days or months) you have various options to complete the required interview process.  Once interviewed, your approval can come within a few days or weeks.

Wven the renewal process is iffy when it comes to time.  DW got her conditional approval on a few weeks and had to complete another interview.  Mine took 10 weeks but the interview was not required.

Hank

When I first applied I got rapid conditional approval, but my closest interview center was ATL, 250 miles away and no appts.  But there were plenty of appts in Miami.  So I drove to JAX, took an early commuter flight to MIA, got the interview done with immediate approval, flew back the same afternoon.  When I renewed last year, it was quickly approved with no interview.  EM

1 hour ago, 14Terry said:

Global Entry is totally worth the process involved to get it! 

We only need the Global Entry for this one trip from the Amsterdam airport to the U.S. We are wondering if it is worth it since we have the TSA pre-check for travel in the USA. I'm wondering how difficult it is to go through the process without the Global Entry.

3 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

We only need the Global Entry for this one trip from the Amsterdam airport to the U.S. We are wondering if it is worth it since we have the TSA pre-check for travel in the USA. I'm wondering how difficult it is to go through the process without the Global Entry.

Its the same question as "how difficult is is go through airport security", it greatly varies essentially based on how many passengers there are and how many customs agents there are.  With global, odds are you will save time, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little but also if you don't have pre-check you should be able to save additional time and won't need to take off your shoes, remove laptops, etc (although at some airports you no longer need to do that)

• Like 1