Cheapo Dad's Trip Report on the Navigator of the Seas (Maybe with few pictures added)...

Yippie @harryfat1 is back, I really enjoyed your past reviews and looking forward to this one .  Add me to the list of printing set sail pass, airline boarding pass and any other type of pass.  You never know when you won't be able to access these on your phone. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

I bet I am not the only person here on CC that brings a hard copy as a backup. If anyone else prints out hard copies of the set sail pass, leave a comment below. We anal people need to unite.

I used the app for three cruises, shortly after it was made available and strongly encouraged. I hated it. I have a purse, a carryon, sunglasses, and (for those early cruises) vaccination cards and test results to handle. The most likely item to be dropped or lost was my phone. I find it much easier to use a printout. And, yes, I am anal about other things.  I prefer to call it detail-oriented 😂

• Like 5

I print everything out too. It can actually save time on the day. How many of us have stood impatiently behind a family while a frazzled parent frantically swipes through their entire phone trying to find the whole family's setsail passes? Whereas I have them all in hand, spread out fan-like to facilitate scanning. 😁

That said, I also have a copy of everything on every device that we bring with us. Just in case... 😂

• Like 5

I've gone totally paperless (and cashless where possible) for whatever I can.  I've got important things backed up to the cloud and for things like boarding passes or cruise documents, my wife has a copy on her phone.  I'm much more likely to lose a piece of paper than I am my phone, which is always in my front left pants pocket.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

But don't the Quantum class ships have 270 entertainment venues that replace the ice show?  

Good point.  Yes they do.  I guess to that point it is a trade off.  270 is a pretty dang nice area on the ship.  Had a great band in there for 80’s night and the show on Quantum (Starwater) was excellent.  Didn’t care for Pixels on Anthem.  

I missed the free skate on the Voyager/Freedom/Oasis classes too.  

It’s trade offs though.  

BTW our favorite cruise ever was on the Navigator just a few weeks after it was AMPED in March of 2019.  9 night sailing to all three ABC’s and Labadee.  Awesome weather, ports, and LOVED the updated ship with Playmakers for great late night food, the escape room, El Loco fresh as another option by the pool as well as grab and go Johnny Rockets.  Refreshed rooms and everything.  Amazing cruise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Quantum class has roller skating in the SeaPlex.

True.  That is really fun.  Our group of 14 did roller skating on the Quantum on our Alaskan cruise last month.  Although our normally very athletic 20yo niece twisted her knee pretty bad doing it.  Made for a difficult next 1/2 of the cruise.  Maybe it would have been even worse I’ve skating 😂

10 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

After selecting the time slot, you will need to complete the travel document info on the App and take a picture that is similar to a passport picture but it was basically useless as they re-took our pictures at the cruise terminal anyway as they didn’t like the ones we uploaded via the App.

A few weeks prior to cruising, you will be able to print your luggage tags from the online account as well as the set sail pass.  Which is similar to the boarding pass to get on the plane.

You will need the set sail pass to board the ship.  Being anal, besides downloading it on my phone, I printed hard copies of the pass for the entire family.  Just being paranoid about not able to access my phone for whatever reason at the port.  Yeah, yeah, I know, but the anal scale of 9.2 is no joke…

I bet I am not the only person here on CC that brings a hard copy as a backup. If anyone else prints out hard copies of the set sail pass, leave a comment below. We anal people need to unite.

Up to 2 days prior, you will need to complete a health questionnaire to see if you are well enough to cruise.

There are other things on the App that will self-populate as your cruise nears.  I think the names of the entertainers started showing up about the week prior to sailing.

Screen shot of the App:

Screenshot_20230805_170520_Royal.thumb.jpg.08454dad43e6fb508b169f7815f67779.jpg 

Screenshot_20230805_171342_Royal(4).thumb.jpg.e616a5b580eedf7774d5fc502eb6492d.jpg

I also take hard copies of everything..from set sail, excursion info, coke package, Coco Cay Club,

Royal Caribbean card points redeemed, passports, TSA pre-boarding numbers....

hmmm..also in the accounting world 🙂

• Like 5

10 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

I wonder if that's to spread out the people as they know their tent city can't handle a lot of people and don't want people to be out in the rain.

Are you guys still sailing away at 4 PM or they have delayed the time to later in the night to accommodate a more gradual boarding process? 

The San Pedro cruise terminal isn't equipped to seat that many people. This is the only seating area.  It's not like FLL where they can have thousands of people sit inside the terminal.

I also wondered if the Navigator docked at Ensenada today (Saturday) instead of Sunday as originally scheduled. By tomorrow night they could be soaked and the tours may not be able to come back to the ship on time if a big storm hits.

20230807_104509.thumb.jpg.8a5a25f3abe8d53656ba234a873d562e.jpg

Not sure of the reason only that sail away is supposed to be the same time but my 10:30 checkin has been moved to 12:30

Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 8.22.04 PM.png

Edited by Rusty_lock
  • Thanks 1

I always take hard copies of everything with me.   To me it is easier to put phone away and have my passport and seapass info in one hand and my other for my small luggage which I always carry on.   So glad they are enforcing the times for arrival/boarding!!!   It is so much easier when people are spread out.   I always get the earliest time, but I stay on the computer the night you can check in and do it right at midnight.   Why should those who don't bother be allowed to just arrive and make our time slot more crowded?  The new procedure works well as long as people adhere to their scheduled time. 

• Like 2

Good to see you back, @harryfat1!  I’ve always enjoyed your trip reports. I think you had posted photos from a ship’s Windjammer of mislabeled jello. Whenever we’re on a cruise, and in the WJ, I think of you when I see the jello!  

I think I’m pretty OCD, but only at a 7.9-8.75. I do print off all paperwork and bring it with me!  Keep the app version of our setsail passes in my iPhone wallet, too. 

Looking forward to following along!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

After selecting the time slot, you will need to complete the travel document info on the App and take a picture that is similar to a passport picture but it was basically useless as they re-took our pictures at the cruise terminal anyway as they didn’t like the ones we uploaded via the App.

A few weeks prior to cruising, you will be able to print your luggage tags from the online account as well as the set sail pass.  Which is similar to the boarding pass to get on the plane.

You will need the set sail pass to board the ship.  Being anal, besides downloading it on my phone, I printed hard copies of the pass for the entire family.  Just being paranoid about not able to access my phone for whatever reason at the port.  Yeah, yeah, I know, but the anal scale of 9.2 is no joke…

I print out my SetSail pass too.

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

1) Print my SetSail Pass

2) Save to cloud

3) Save to Apple Wallet

4) Available in app

5) Carry a backup phone with access to 2 to 4.

😄

Okay, you have me beat! I print, save it to my Apple Wallet and the cloud, and have the app, but don't carry a backup phone!

• Like 2

Many thanks for all the people's comments on printing out the set sail pass as well as other travel-related documents.  I feel less anal now - maybe I can downgrade myself to an 8.6 going forward.

This hard copy can also be a generational thing as my son is a computer science major in college in southern California and he doesn't have a printer for school.  I ask him every year if he needs a printer as I can't see myself in school without printing anything but he says no.  All the stuff they submit is paperless and they never need to print anything.

That just boggles my mind as an OLD (school) guy that wants things in hard copy as the new generation is into the "virtual" world. Many younger kids don't even own a printer anymore.

For this cruise, I still requested my stateroom attendant to give me a hard copy of the daily.  I tried to go down to get a copy at the Guest Services as I dislike scrolling up and down the dang app to find something but they no longer have hard copies of the daily cruise compass at guest services.  Instead, you have to request it from your cabin steward on day 1 and he/she will deliver them daily for the rest of the cruise.

I'll do an informal survey when I get to the daily compass to see who else prefers the hard copy besides me...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Harry, thank you for your entertaining report. Feels like the "old times", before the "dreaded C".

I'm ALWAYS printing my boarding passes... for flights too...

Hi Dani,

Very good to chat with you once again in my trip report.  You and CoralC have been with me since my first cruise report in 2014 on the Allure and I have always appreciated you guys' support throughout the years.

Cheers,

Harry

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

Harry, I am with you and Dani, I always bring hard copies of anything essential, vouchers, tickets itineraries, policies, etc

As you can see from various comments from other cruisers, we are not alone.

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Yeah, I am here catching up on your thread.  I am way behind on important things, like keeping up on CC.  Just shipped my grandson back to California, so now I have more time on my hands.

I was going to comment on “tent city” but I will leave any of those jokes to you.

Keep up to good work.

Welcome.  So how was your trip to Universal Studios Florida with your grandson?  I'm surprised they didn't have the nightly castle shows.  We were at the Universal Hollywood last Christmas and they had it several times nightly.  I wonder if it is a holiday-only thing?

Oh, actually I have no tent city jokes in mind.  My comedy writing staff of one is on strike along with all the Hollywood writers so I'm not getting any jokes from him for a while.  If you have them, bring them on when I get to the day 1 boarding process...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LuCruise said:

From this statement and looking at your signature, I put 2 and 2 together.  Are you on the xmas Odyssey?  Is so, we just missed being on the same cruise as we have the new year's one booked.  First time cruising that time of year as our son is starting university and we wanted him to be able to come.  I see from one of your other posts that your boys are in college..  Makes sense as they grow up. 🙂

Yeah, we will be on the 8-day Christmas sailing of the Odyssey this December.  Originally it was to be the same sailing with our RCI resident expert, Ken, but he had to reschedule to the following sailing due to timing conflicts.

Yeah, hard to find the right time to cruise when you have kids in school. The Christmas week sailing is the only opening I have between their school and my work schedule. Holiday sailings are crazy expensive as when my kids are off school so are 99.99% of the other kids.

Cheapo Dad will need to go to therapy post-cruise after going into traumatic shock after paying for the holiday cruise/airfare...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3