Hair salon on ship- Have you used?

LizzGo

35 minutes ago, LizzGo said:

Doing a BTB in Jan (Millenium/Soltice)so I'm definitely going to need a cut and color. This sort of terrifies me a little. If you have used this service - what did you think?

Well to be honest my car payments was less.

They are soooo over priced and the pressure to sell you extra products and added tip is outrageous.

• Like 1

I’ve done blowouts at the ship salons but not color. Will you be bringing your own tubes + formula (do they allow that!?) or asking them to get out the book + color wheel to match your color?

One thing I do when traveling is go to my hair color’s website and seek out a salon in that city that uses my hair color products. I make an appointment through facebook messenger, by calling, or on the salon’s website. I have my formula, so I hand that over (to looks of surprise and relief).  I have done this in numerous cities, it has always been a great experience *knock wood* and I love seeing how my hair gets styled in different parts of the world (color+ blowout). 

I have had, and will continue to have, shampoo and curling iron/blow dry. Way overpriced, but it is a treat for me. I would never get a color or cut from some unknown stylist. And I don't understand so many posts (over years) complaining of pressure sales to buy products. What happened to "just say no"? I have never had any unpleasant exchanges with spa personnel over sales pitches. 

• Like 1

I had my local salon write out the formula that they use and I give that to them on the ship and they have never had any trouble matching the color. Mine is a simple color process not two-tone or shadows or uplights.  Never had a problem.

As to upselling, it’s no worse than my local salon which is always trying to get me to buy shampoo and conditioner from them. Easy to say no thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

If you have OBC to use then why not... I had good experiences there, but that's for men's treatments/cuts.

How long is this B2B trip that you "definitely need" a cut and color ?? 😳

each cruise is almost two weeks with a week in UK before, then 5 days in Singapore, so yeah, will be looking pretty sad. 

• Haha 2

why not bring along some do it  yourself root touch up.?   I  use it between salon appts..easy to use and lasts abt 3  wks even with pool  use..

on the  BEYOND I treated myself to the Kerastase treatment..worked wonders on cruise frizz..signed up again for Ascent...  No color,   just treatment and extra charge blow  dry..  

• Like 1

Have always enjoyed the salon, and have been fortunate to have had good stylists- from all over the world, male and female.I am amazed at how versatile ship styliists are. Before Covid, we loved long cruises and I had hard to maintain color-treated hair. I had cuts, root touch ups and many blow dry stylings. I had my home town colorist write down specific formula for color to help explain my color to on board stylist. I have used kerastase products for years and really can recommend that product line. Talk to the stylist. I’ve found many of them have had very good experience in their home country. I hope this helps reassure you about using the ship salon. It is very convenient too, just a few steps away, and rarely a wait. I usually only buy products if we are driving home from the port. 

Have you tried touching up your roots yourself...so easy and I take my own Loreal on longer B2B cruises. You could try at home months before sailing to get comfortable doing it and ask your hair dresser for a drug store brand and color that is similar to the formula they use on you.  I touch up the roots with a 1/2" wide art paint brush and leave it on for 30 minutes...I have stubborn gray framing my face. I plan to do it on a sea day and never had a problem.  Also, I love the "Greyfree Root Touch-Up Hair Mascara Temporary Gray Roots Concealer" that I buy from Amazon for $10 to use as my front roots start to grow out, but I'm not ready to color them.  

On 8/20/2023 at 12:17 PM, LizzGo said:

Doing a BTB in Jan (Millenium/Soltice)so I'm definitely going to need a cut and color. This sort of terrifies me a little. If you have used this service - what did you think?

I would definitely get your color done pre cruise. A cruise ship is not the place to do that. Also get your nails done before cruise !

• Like 1

If on the Solstice you can trust Marlin to do your hair. He’s done mine twice.  I am super picky and told him exactly how I wanted it cut and styled. He was well trained. He did it perfectly. As for nails. I do a better job myself. 

On 8/21/2023 at 6:48 PM, MandL said:

If on the Solstice you can trust Marlin to do your hair. He’s done mine twice.  I am super picky and told him exactly how I wanted it cut and styled. He was well trained. He did it perfectly. As for nails. I do a better job myself. 

I will be on the Solstice. Did you get color as well?

On 8/23/2023 at 4:24 PM, LizzGo said:

I will be on the Solstice. Did you get color as well?

Yes. And I also love the Keratase products he used on my hair.  If I ever make a switch from Aveda, that would probably be the product I’d go to. 

Always have my hair blown at least once per cruise.  Never had color or cut as I prefer my hair dresser.  The blow outs have been on a scale on 1-7.  Never great,  sometimes horrible.  Once I was so unhappy that I complained and got my money back.  Most times I smile and say thank you.

But they wash my hair  and I typically I  fix myself in my cabin/suite.  The products they use have been okay. I wouldn't trust them to cut and color.

Edited by Cruise a holic