Trying to find solo cabins without luck

MDav123

Hi there, I'm hoping to do a cruise next year for the first time. I'm open to different destinations so am willing to set sail from any location. 

However, as a solo traveller the cost of a single supplement can be quite prohibitive, and when I look at specific cruises all the single cabins seem to sell out very quickly.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do a search where you can see which cruises have single cabins available throughout next year, rather than by having to go through each cruise and departure date one by one?

Many thanks 

Well, technically any cabin can be a solo cabin. NCL is really the only line that has studio rooms (I believe HAL might have some on one of their ships, but don't hold me to this). I understand that yes, they do sell out. Personally, I need sunlight so I'd look at booking an outside cabin with the supplement.

• Like 1

MSC also has solo cabins on the newest ships.  But the problem becomes…some lines do not want to sell you a cabin as a solo, even with the single supplement.  I just did an experimental booking on MSC, and when I specified I was solo, it was sold out.  When I went back and tried as if there were two, all categories were available.  And I don’t need much.  I’m okay with an inside gty.  Their loss.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

10 hours ago, MDav123 said:

Hi there, I'm hoping to do a cruise next year for the first time. I'm open to different destinations so am willing to set sail from any location. 

However, as a solo traveller the cost of a single supplement can be quite prohibitive, and when I look at specific cruises all the single cabins seem to sell out very quickly.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do a search where you can see which cruises have single cabins available throughout next year, rather than by having to go through each cruise and departure date one by one?

Many thanks 

5 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

You may want to try looking in the Solo Cruiser section of the forums https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

Cunard added solo cabins to QM2 during its last major refit - they book up quickly.

Hello @MDav123 and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

There is an oldie but goodie thread on the forum @TheOldBear mentions. It is Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE. Your fellow Cruise Critic members post only cruise line solo bargains there. No travel agent/agency (online or brick & mortar), promoters of hosted group cruises for singles/solos or any other source/venue for cruise purchase allowed. Be sure to use the Follow feature on the thread so you will receive a notification when a new bargain is posted.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are glad you are posting on the boards! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Good luck & happy sails!

Host Kat

NCL allows you to search as a solo traveller so you get the price for solo wether it’s a solo cabin or not. My upcoming TA is on a ship that doesn’t have solo cabins but there is no single supplement. 

sometimes solo cabins are more expensive than a larger interior cabin if there is no singles supplement on that itinerary.

On 8/22/2023 at 4:37 AM, MDav123 said:

To answer this part of your question, unfortunately the short answer is no.  You have to look at each cruise line and individual itineraries to see any stateroom availability.  To my knowledge there is no website or search tool that coordinates all cruise lines and itineraries by stateroom availability as this is very fluid and changes constantly.  In addition, cruise lines typically do not release available inventory data publicly for that kind of search.  That data is held privately for a number of business reasons.

Your best bet to find what you want is to determine a preferred cruising time and itinerary and go from there.  Picking a cruise line may be a bit more difficult as they cater to different demographics and offer different cruising styles to appeal to a broad base of customers.  I would suggest contacting a travel agent and working with them of sorting this - and all of your stateroom questions - with them.  That is what they are in the business to do and they have a strong partnership with the cruise lines to accomplish this.

34 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

Look at MSC.

Sometimes.  I sail MSC and if you are looking last minute bookings, you might be out of luck.  Further out by a few months might be good.  I was able to book on Seashore in December in any cabin category.  But I was experimenting with some Grand Voyages for next year and everything is available u til you reduce guest number to one.  EM

3 hours ago, Langoustine said:

Last minute can be a problem. I was ab;e to book a single NYC-Nassau 7-day RT on MSC last month for $309; right now, it's much higher.

As pointed our previously, the problem with last minute bookings is obviously limited inventory.  And pricing doesn't always drop just to move that inventory. 

This is even more of an issue with dedicated solo staterooms as those lines that offer this category don't necessarily have them on every ship, and those ships that do have them have a limited number to begin with.  And as a great alternative to standard double occupancy staterooms at a solo rate, they are now increasingly more popular and tend to sell out very quickly, which means the odds of a last minute booking for one is typically nil.  Most often last minute bookings for solo travelers are in standard double occupancy staterooms as a result.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I've done 30 solo cruises and never booked a solo cabin. 

Depending on your cruise line(s) of choice, a number now do offer a dedicated solo stateroom for solo travelers that typically are a little smaller than a standard double occupancy stateroom and designed for one person. On Celebrity Edge class ships, as example, they are a veranda category stateroom.

They are also typically attractively priced as such at a pricing level that is somewhat higher than a one person rate in a double occupancy stateroom, but significantly lower than the usually double occupancy rate for a solo.  You may want to look into this option for future cruises.

Royal's Quantum class ships have solo cabins as well.  I think about 1/2 dozen Studio Balcony and a dozen or so Studio inside.

As noted - a room designed as a single-occupancy isn't always the best deal.  I'm booked on a 15 night Panama Canal cruise on Norwegian, a regular inside was cheaper by ~$500 than a Studio, even as a solo.

In 2019 when I was planning my Mexican Riviera cruise my TA at the time ran the numbers - to sail in a balcony with full solo supplement and reduced airfare through the cruise line (had to pay 100% supplement to get the airfare perk) cost me only $60 more than booking a Studio cabin and booking my own airfare.  Yes, please...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kind of an older thread.  But we booked NCL Epic for March 2024.  I had originally booked my mother to go with us in a Studio room by herself.

SInce our booking, NCL has opened up more solo room categories.  Added Solo Inside, Solo Oceanview and Solo Balcony.

- It doesn't seem they are changing any room layouts, just reclassifying about 1k rooms total (fleetwide) from double occupancy to solo.

I bumped mom up to a Solo Balcony on the same deck as us (Also in a Balcony).  Total cost for her with the same perks and all as us was only about $350 cheaper.

On 8/22/2023 at 1:37 AM, MDav123 said:

Many thanks 

NCL has dedicated Solo cabins with their won Solo Traveler lounge and nightly mixer.  Not sure on the price, but I have heard the cabins are pretty nice

2 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

NCL has dedicated Solo cabins with their won Solo Traveler lounge and nightly mixer.  Not sure on the price, but I have heard the cabins are pretty nice

They are only 100 square ft. and are inside cabins. 😲

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

They are only 100 square ft. and are inside cabins. 😲

Not anymore.  NCL has opened over 1000 regular cabins across it's entire fleet for solo travelers, mostly begining in January 2024.

- Booked my mother in a Solo Balcony.  They also offer Inside and Ocean view solo's (No floor plan changes, just regular rooms reclassed for singles)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Akumahito said:

Not anymore.  NCL has opened over 1000 regular cabins across it's entire fleet for solo travelers, mostly begining in January 2024.

- Booked my mother in a Solo Balcony.  They also offer Inside and Ocean view solo's (No floor plan changes, just regular rooms reclassed for singles)

Here is the Cruise Critic article from earlier this month: Norwegian Cruise Line to Offer Solo Cabins Across Its Entire Fleet (cruisecritic.com)

• Thanks 1