Cookies now cost $2 plus 20%

vkb2751

4 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

Charging for cookies was ridiculous to me.  Adding 20% on top of that is just greed.  Who actually benefits from the all the extra added gratuities? 

Just thought about this--what if those cookies were something  special.

For example, a few months ago our youngest and her husband turned 40 and they had a big party. On the back bar they had a bunch of small  jars of little  gummy bears. Which I troed and they tasted a bit stratge but I felt great a littel while while later.

I'd pay 2 bucks for a chocolate chip cookie that made me feel that great!

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Heck, at 77 YO, I would like to get a lounge chair thats spaced adequately from the  next lounge chair, so I do not have to find a way to throw myself onto the chair from the foot of the chair and likewise, try to get up from  the lounge chair by pushing yourself forward on the chair.

both can be done but it definitely is not a gracious  nor elegant move.

X  used to have small tables between the pool loungers for drinks and such, and enough space was left  to negotiate safely.  Most of the small tables were  removed and loungers placed almost touching one's neighbor.... no room to get up safely, walk and now drinks must sit on  the floor where they are easily spilled.  

X replaced all comfy balcony  chairs  and footrests a few yrs ago..Big uproar but nothing changed back, just more uncomfy  crappy furniture appeared.and .tiny, if any balc tables

.(no room for lunch al fresco)

E class  Suites were furnished with hideous  rocklng chairs that were quickly  rejected by suite guests.  They were initially moved out  to the entry part of EDEN, and now are seen lined up along the  upper part of the  walkway.

and in EDEN,  they have low to the  ground  furniyure  and other ill designed  furniture impossible to get out of...like.6o's college dorm  style..  Maybe they will bring on those brownies

All due to the creeping influence of Royal C..over a previously great small  cruise line. 

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I think its ironic that instead of removing the fee and giving their guests a higher quality cookies which costs them very little, they just remove the better cookie

Look at the bright side.  They could still charge $2 for a cold cookie.  They just stopped the charge for the warm one that makes you feel like a kid again.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

X  used to have small tables between the pool loungers for drinks and such, and enough space was left  to negotiate safely.  Most of the small tables were  removed and loungers placed almost touching one's neighbor.... no room to get up safely, walk and now drinks must sit on  the floor where they are easily spilled.  

X replaced all comfy balcony  chairs  and footrests a few yrs ago..Big uproar but nothing changed back, just more uncomfy  crappy furniture appeared.and .tiny, if any balc tables

.(no room for lunch al fresco)

E class  Suites were furnished with hideous  rocklng chairs that were quickly  rejected by suite guests.  They were initially moved out  to the entry part of EDEN, and now are seen lined up along the  upper part of the  walkway.

and in EDEN,  they have low to the  ground  furniyure  and other ill designed  furniture impossible to get out of...like.6o's college dorm  style..  Maybe they will bring on those brownies

All due to the creeping influence of Royal C..over a previously great small  cruise line. 

We had a CS on Edge and actually loved the rocking chair.  We did not find it hideous.

21 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Look at the bright side.  They could still charge $2 for a cold cookie.  They just stopped the charge for the warm one that makes you feel like a kid again.

Just remember, somebody in management suggested a trial for a $2 warm vs cold cookie , inside a company with aboout 20 billion in revenue and 17 billion of debt and interest above 1 billion a year. And the idea was approved.

And management is concerned  with charging for a $2 cookie? In a trial. Again I ask, what does that say about the priorties of management. or management decisions to go grandiose with ships in both RCL and X.

You have to get the big things right as well as the small things.

And problems  rest with management. First, last and always.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We had a CS on Edge and actually loved the rocking chair.  We did not find it hideous.

The floor space in CS living rooms is considerable, and was such that the rocking chair at least fit.  We found the utility limited mostly because of weight and shape, so repositioning it or moving it out of the way was a chore.  The CS was useless though because the partition lets light in and from the bedroom.  Seems to have been an issue on earlier classes of ships too.  We prefer walls vs a dirty drape or curtain, but the light issue has us thinking the room was no better for two separate sleepers than a Sky Suite configuration.   

Edited by Cap_D

here is another issue that exists and while I laugh at it, it should not exist.

Almost each time a special sale is announced,  you go to check the net price and it's the same as before  or higher however .In the past we would see prices go down.

They play with gross price and discounts and OBC. OBC is noit a subsitiute for lover prices, in fact its easy to leave OBC on the table. But more OBC means you feel the need to spend on specialty restaurants, or the ships excursions, or the spa, all high prices.

Thats management strategy too.

As is if you want to upgrade from classic to premium and there is a sale price where the difference is $17 a day between the two , you pay the 20 a day more, (plus the 20% service charge) thereby negating the discounted pre cruise  sale price.

Some of this policy or strategy can end up being an insult to our intelligence. And its either mgt not being aware, or not caring. And what have created an opening for many to consider other competitors or vacation alternatives.

Its not personal, its business.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Just remember, somebody in management suggested a trial for a $2 warm vs cold cookie , inside a company with aboout 20 billion in revenue and 17 billion of debt and interest above 1 billion a year. And the idea was approved.

And management is concerned  with charging for a $2 cookie? In a trial. Again I ask, what does that say about the priorties of management. or management decisions to go grandiose with ships in both RCL and X.

I'll bet they have a formed a team to look for "innovative" ways to increase revenue.  Such efforts typically devolve into asking "what else can we charge for?".

37 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I'll bet they have a formed a team to look for "innovative" ways to increase revenue.  Such efforts typically devolve into asking "what else can we charge for?".

How about what worked for X in the past , like 5 years ago, superb service and food. The magical experience I mention.

Come to think about it, why did it change cause it was changing before that C issue we had in early 2020.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Charging for cookies was ridiculous to me.  Adding 20% on top of that is just greed.  Who actually benefits from the all the extra added gratuities? 

I’m sure they end up in the same gratuity pool as drink package grats, minibar grats, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Considering that it only lasted 2-3 days before it was discontinued, maybe it wasn’t very far up in management.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Maybe that person should be re-positioned into a cabin attendant slot...or perhaps a member of the Resort Team.

what if the idea emminated from one of the  folks we have seen on the captains club videos over the last 3 years. But it has to be signed off by someone at a high evel, if for no other reason for that exec to tell subordinate that we have more important things to do with out time, which is , the management of people to be working on the important things , one of managements main responsibilities

They’re trying to create new revenue which I totally understand. The correct thing to do is create new revenue opportunities not by charging for previously included options. Charging for previously included items such as cookies, room service, extra lobster, etc is just being lazy. Create new experiences and charge for them. I’m not a carnival fan but they created a new roller coaster and charge for it. Stop watering down the experience and give the customer what he/she paid for and give them something extra they want to pay for. The specialty restaurant concept works so create new experiences that people are willing and glad to pay extra for. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kasowell2 said:

They’re trying to create new revenue which I totally understand. The correct thing to do is create new revenue opportunities not by charging for previously included options. Charging for previously included items such as cookies, room service, extra lobster, etc is just being lazy. Create new experiences and charge for them. I’m not a carnival fan but they created a new roller coaster and charge for it. Stop watering down the experience and give the customer what he/she paid for and give them something extra they want to pay for. The specialty restaurant concept works so create new experiences that people are willing and glad to pay extra for. 

Totally agree with the laziness.  With every few "cuts" there should be one passenger-friendly addition.  Free fresh baked cookies would have been a good cheap addition and it also gets more traffic to the gelato station

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

How about what worked for X in the past , like 5 years ago, superb service and food. The magical experience I mention.

Come to think about it, why did it change cause it was changing before that C issue we had in early 2020.

Ha Ha, you can go back to 2004 on this forum.  If you look at 2018, or any other time one believes was the "golden age", you'll find the majority of posts here on Cruise Critic are telling how things "used to be great, and now are awful".

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

That may be a good concept, however that would take a level of intelligence they may not presently have in the C suite.  It's easy to grab the low hanging fruit for a quick, short term thinking solution.  Maybe they don't yet understand the long term unintended consequences.

• Like 2