Flying into Florida for a cruise.. which ports are the easiest to get to from the airports ?

thunter1224

We are looking to book a family cruise to the Caribbean ( 4 coming in from Canada,  2 from Pennsylvania)   I am looking for which docks are the easiest to get to from the major airports ? We will shop for a cruise after we learn this information..  Flying in from Canada,  might be the biggest problem.  

The Fort Lauderdale airport and Port Everglades are within sight of each other and only separated by a highway (route 1).  A ride from and to the other probably averages about 15 minutes depending upon which airport and port terminals are involved.

• Like 2

Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Tampa all have ports and airports that are relatively close by.  Port Canaveral does not - you have to fly into Orlando which is about an hour away.  

As mentioned, the Fort Lauderdale port is very very close to the airport.  Quite easy to get between them.

Fly in  a day or more early 

Miami  & FLL   have more ships  sailing  from those ports

Flying  from Canada  is not a problem unless  a  major storm happens

Porter Air  will be flying from Canada  this winter  if that helps

Other options AC/AA /Delta    

They are all close enough. Canaveral is an hour away from Orlando but not a big deal.  Find a flight and cruise combo that works for you out of any of the ports and you'll be fine.  In South Florida, you can fly into any of the 3 major airports (PBI, FLL, MIA) and sail out of both Port Everglades and PortMiami.

4 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

Thanks.. I thought flying into Orlando , and cruiseing out of Port Canaveral was the longest distance .. We may even look into New orleans or Texas ports too.. for prices. As it gets closer.

For texas, you would fly into Houston which is 80 miles or so from the port of Galveston where all the texas ships board.

For Florida, Ft Lauderdale is the winner for your criteria, hands down.

Edited by thinfool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tampa is close to the cruise terminal and not nearly as busy as the 3 east coast docks.  With all being said, I'd find the airport that gets you to & from Canada with the best flights and then find the cruise itinerary that you like the most.  

On 8/26/2023 at 8:08 AM, capriccio said:

The Fort Lauderdale airport and Port Everglades are within sight of each other and only separated by a highway (route 1).  A ride from and to the other probably averages about 15 minutes depending upon which airport and port terminals are involved.

Agree FLL, airport and cruise port very close together.  Except the time our Uber driver was clueless and drove in circles for half an hour 🙂

22 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Agree FLL, airport and cruise port very close together.  Except the time our Uber driver was clueless and drove in circles for half an hour 🙂

Oof.  That must have been frustrating.

which docks are the easiest to get to from the major airports

this is not a well thought out question .... what is your metric for EASIEST?

time? cost? hills? color of the vehicle?

IMO they are ALL 'easy' (except Jacksonville ... stay away from that one)

• Like 2

I am booking a cruise that sails out of Miami, but the flights are cheaper going in to FLL. What would be our cheapest transportation option to get to the port of Miami in the morning. Many years ago I think we stayed in Hollywood the night before our cruise.

people UBER it all the time ..... you could make your way over to Brightline or Tr-Rail then transfer as needed to get to the port

this will save $$ but involves multiple steps and will take considerably longer ..... my dau does it all the time but lived in Miami and knows her way around

3 hours ago, bren61 said:

I am booking a cruise that sails out of Miami, but the flights are cheaper going in to FLL. What would be our cheapest transportation option to get to the port of Miami in the morning. Many years ago I think we stayed in Hollywood the night before our cruise.

Many recommendations on this board for the various shuttle services...SAS, QLS, Jiffy Jeff, GO Shuttle, etc. Just look around the board.

Next up would be Uber/Lyft. Also recommended daily.