Fall cruise going to warm climate what to wear

frofro

I’m leaving on Oct 23 out of NYC going to Bermuda and I’m not sure how to dress onboard… do I wear fall clothes or summer? Are white pants good, or only when I get to Bermuda? Every cruise I’ve been on has been in July.

The average Bermuda October daytime temperature is in the high 70's to 80 degrees F. Water temps are also still in the high 70's.  The NY weather departing and returning on the first and last days obviously will be cooler common to that time of year.  But it should get warmer towards Bermuda as being off the coast of S. Carolina it is affected by the Gulf Stream.

I would plan on summer clothes in Bermuda and somewhat warmer clothes for the first and last day on board.

Not sure why you are concerned about white pants.  Wear what you like and feel comfortable with - there are no "codes".  Just my opinion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frofro said:

I’m leaving on Oct 23 out of NYC going to Bermuda and I’m not sure how to dress onboard… do I wear fall clothes or summer? Are white pants good, or only when I get to Bermuda? Every cruise I’ve been on has been in July.

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

We have a Fashion/Beauty board where you might like to post the question:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/107-cruise-fashions-amp-beauty/

Hello @frofro and welcome back to the message board! I see it has been a while since you have posted.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the forum @crystalspin mentions. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

Also, be sure to check in with the folks on the Roll Call for your cruise. Someone there may be in a quandy about clothes too! Please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships.

Be sure to use the Follow feature on any threads where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications. If you need information on how to do it, please click here How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

Glad you are back and hope there will be lots of happy sails in your future!

Host Kat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, sailing canary said:

Puzzled Scot here - what has Labor Day got to do with temperatures in the Caribbean?

Its the not wearing white after Labor Day (a holiday in the US, falling on 4Sept this year) custom, or tradition. The OP asked about "Fall Clothes" which would imply no white.

My tongue was planted firmly in my cheek.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sailing canary said:

Puzzled Scot here - what has Labor Day got to do with temperatures in the Caribbean?

Labor Day here - usually early September - used to be considered the end of Summer, and therefore the end of the season for wearing white shoes, white summer dresses, etc.  Now with white sneakers (trainers), white jeans, and many other year-round white items, the "rules" no longer apply.

Puzzled Yank here - what does the Caribbean have to do with a cruise to Bermuda?

frofro, I think your packing considerations will be based more on temperatures rather than "seasons", especially now that so much of what we wear is sort of universal: stretch pants, athleisure wear, white jeans/pants.  As to temperatures, Bermuda most likely will be warm, and on deck will be mild to warm, but perhaps with a wind factor making the air feel much cooler while in transit.  I always pack a fleece or lightweight jacket for that reason.

Onboard in the evening, I imagine dress will cover a big range.  No fabrics or colors are inappropriate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The average Bermuda October daytime temperature is in the high 70's to 80 degrees F. Water temps are also still in the high 70's.  The NY weather departing and returning on the first and last days obviously will be cooler common to that time of year.  But it should get warmer towards Bermuda as being off the coast of S. Carolina it is affected by the Gulf Stream.

I would plan on summer clothes in Bermuda and somewhat warmer clothes for the first and last day on board.

Not sure why you are concerned about white pants.  Wear what you like and feel comfortable with - there are no "codes".  Just my opinion.

My dad used to sell women’s clothing. They had a summer line, winter line and a line called cruise wear. It was basically summer clothes for the winter. I don’t think no white after Labor Day is a thing anymore. I always have clothes I can layer. I even have pants that convert from capri to long. Bring shoes you can wear with or without socks. Nobody judges. Just be comfortable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sailing canary said:

Sound of hysterical laughter ... absolutely nothing!  We live in northern California.  I was raised in Minnesota where there's not a single 'rule' about seasonal apparel.  My husband grew in in NYC.  The first time I wore white something or other 'after Labor Day' he chastised me ... we've been laughing ever since.  To this dairy maid, rules about what you wear when are just insane!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sailing canary said:

Sorry - muddled it up with Barbados!!

Thanks for the explanation of the 'rules'. Also in Europe, Labour Day is May 1st, so that would have been very odd. 

Barbados; that makes sense.  As well as the geographic and climate difference, I was thinking of the "anything goes" style in much of the Carib (maybe not so much in Barbados) compared to the more traditional/formal Bermuda culture.

I definitely grew up with the "no white after Labor Day" rule.  White dress shoes, most likely bought for one's Easter dress, would be totally inappropriate to wear to school in September and thereafter. Likewise a white summer dress, or a man's white linen jacket. or trousers.  Those did not get packed for going back to university, either; darker colors were the norm.

• Like 1