CUNARD - So Much Best and a little Worst

richstowe

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

richstowe was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I recently got off the Queen E , my first Cunard cruise . It was an incredible Alaskan cruise with great weather .

This was our seventh cruise line and found it was absolutely the best in many areas and the worst in just one . For the most

part this is a comparison between brands but sometimes it's specific to an individual cruise .  

This is not a full cruise review but am happy to elaborate on any issue .

THE VERY BEST 

Value  - The combination of all the amenities and a great price . It's clear why from the following observations .
Cabin cleanup twice a day - No questions or push towards once a day .
Fancy coffee free at MDR - Expresso's , Americano's etc. , all without charge .
Overstaffed MDR - Amazing service .Perhaps not overstaffed . How about well staffed . 😉
Enrichment - They had so much enrichment . There were bridge, dance, port, naturalists and many other experts .
Such a pleasure and so impressive . It's been a decade since we've seen a fraction of this .
This is probably the biggest difference between Cunard and the rest. 
Free shuttles - They provided transportation in two ports at no charge . In Victoria we were moored between a RC and a NL ship.
Our shuttle was free . Theirs were a $15 fee . (I assume roundtrip but who knows ).
Carry On Drinks and Wine - Bringing on sodas and other liquids is fine. Wine may be limited to two but possibly more . 
Uncrowded- So much space . Never a line up anywhere . Others brands would and do squeeze on many more on .
Fully heated outdoor pools - Not just heated but 85+ with clean unsalted water
NO pushy sales tactics -None! This includes photographers and spa people . Such a pleasure
Fair drink prices - So fair . Fine British 500ml beers at less then $6 . Wow !
Afternoon tea - A Cunard specialty . Lovely and served in the Queen's Room.
Best British Pub- The Golden Lion Pub was great with good food, music and of course so many beers and ciders .
Little touches - There were so many of these such as $5 blackjack and free disposable rain ponchos . 
I'm sure I've forgotten some bests .

THE WORST
Technology - Both on an off the ship this was a fail . I honestly believe many of their customers like it this way .
Off ship you couldn't make your own flight arrangements and other functions we've come to expect . On board
their app was extremely limited . One day we wanted to pay for internet . It was down almost entirely .
The charges were refunded but still. 

These were my takeaways from a single eleven day cruise . I realize the industry is changing fast but hope
as many of these pleasures as possible are retained . The experience was a delight .

PXL_20230730_201025084_MP.thumb.jpg.0399a15e0e6bdd8acc7b6baa49fc65ad.jpgPXL_20230801_041241525_MP.thumb.jpg.14f4dd4b8603d0b4f38ffac231657865.jpgPXL_20230729_023329292.thumb.jpg.ce31e5b0a22ba8bfe57e1c296b087984.jpgPXL_20230729_020357763_MP.thumb.jpg.68fc2da038d06bc02f61391fbb994dee.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Ohhh, you've made me homesick for my favorite ship!

I'm glad you enjoyed QE. She is elegant! I agree that Cunard's enrichment is outstanding.

And, sadly, I agree about the internet. I thought it was pretty good last summer on QE. OTOH, last fall on QM2, it was atrocious. And the excuses! One of the front desk staff told me the problems were because of the storm that had hit NE Canada and "the electric lines were down." Okay, they do plug in the ship at the Halifax dock, but this was a sea day!!

• Like 2

Thank you for this. As we have booked our first Cunard cruise next May it is reassuring to read your comments. It confirms we have chosen the right line to transfer to from Celebrity. We are going on Anne, so I’m hoping internet may have improved on the new ship. 

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing and Alaska is in my list. Did you have a balcony stateroom? Did they provide tableside service in Britannia? How was the weather and how did you pack for Alaska? I know Cunard ships have excellent closet/wardrobe space. Was the dress code adhered to mainly?

What excursions did you take and how where they?

These questions should keep you busy for now!

Edited by NE John
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, NE John said:

Thanks for sharing and Alaska is in my list. Did you have a balcony stateroom? Did they provide tableside service in Britannia? How was the weather and how did you pack for Alaska? I know Cunard ships have excellent closet/wardrobe space. Was the dress code adhered to mainly?

What excursions did you take and how where they?

These questions should keep you busy for now!

We have 'Alaska'd' early July to late August and the weather is unpredictable.

From very hot and dry, to cool and wet. Layers, stout shoes for shoreside yomps, a light shower jacket if you go kayaking and a long lightweight waterproof cagoule which can act as a windcheater too. Other than that, layers!

Long trousers if yomping in the woods and shorts [leave your Daisy Dukes onboard 😃]  if you're not, even if it's cool and wet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We have 'Alaska'd' early July to late August and the weather is unpredictable.

From very hot and dry, to cool and wet. Layers, stout shoes for shoreside yomps, a light shower jacket if you go kayaking and a long lightweight waterproof cagoule which can act as a windcheater too. Other than that, layers!

Long trousers if yomping in the woods and shorts [leave your Daisy Dukes onboard 😃]  if you're not, even if it's cool and wet.

Thank you. I don’t think Daisy Dukes will suit me on a good weather day…

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Extremely fair overview, thanks.

Could you explain this though as I don't understand.

Off ship you couldn't make your own flight arrangements

I was unable to book air on the Cunard site before the cruise . With other cruise lines, such as Princess and HAL, you can pick your flights and make your reservations. You don't need to even have an actual booking to see what's available . 

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Did you have a balcony stateroom? 

Yes a lovely deep balcony #5050 . 

42 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Was the dress code adhered to mainly?

Yes . It's not onerous . Collars and long pants after 6 pm in half the ship including the MDR's and theatre . Formal nights they refer dark suits . 

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richstowe said:

I was unable to book air on the Cunard site before the cruise . With other cruise lines, such as Princess and HAL, you can pick your flights and make your reservations. You don't need to even have an actual booking to see what's available . 

Yes a lovely deep balcony #5050 . 

Yes . It's not onerous . Collars and long pants after 6 pm in half the ship including the MDR's and theatre . Formal nights they refer dark suits . 

Wasn't sure but as we book flights through an agent, that wasn't an issue for us,

I think the dress code adherence ask was NE John  , not me.  🙂

Thanks.

13 hours ago, richstowe said:

Fair drink prices - So fair . Fine British 500ml beers at less then $6 . Wow !

What beers were less than $6 please. Were they a special as i can't remember any being that price.

Glad you had a lovely time, we will be on her again next month.

Just got off QV this morning, currently waiting at LHR to return to the US.

Will write up some observations in a few days but fully concur with all of Rich’s good points.

On the dismal internet, also had to insist on a refund as totally unworkable.

However was informed by the onboard sales folks that QV will be using Starlink by mid month, the fiber optic cables are in and just waiting for the new satellite transmitter.

Supposedly Starlink is having 98% connection rate on QM2 since being installed.

So positive change imminent.IMG_1965.thumb.jpeg.0f3a8391c378bbda16ae57bcf4498864.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

This is very interesting. So many of the things you mention are things I more or less take for granted, never having travelled on another cruise line: the dining room coffee, the standard of service, the lectures, the twice daily room service, the free shuttles, etc. Sometimes we don’t appreciate how lucky we are. I am aware that the feeling of spaciousness and calm is not universal on other lines, and it is probably the thing I value most.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 14

35 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

What beers were less than $6 please. Were they a special as i can't remember any being that price.

Glad you had a lovely time, we will be on her again next month.

I was wrong . I meant less then $7 . Here's a pic taken from the pub menu .I hope you can read it.

PXL_20230806_000848818.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank You for your positive review, just a small clarification re the speciality coffee, complimentary in the restaurants. They are direct from a machine unlike those from a barista, however, if like me one enjoys a proper latte/cappuccino then the venue to enjoy a good one is the Chart room. Unfortunately there is a charge 😪 unless one is in the Grills lounge 😉.   

• Like 4

4 hours ago, richstowe said:

I was wrong . I meant less then $7 . Here's a pic taken from the pub menu .I hope you can read it.

PXL_20230806_000848818.jpg

And with the extra 15% service charge makes it $8 which for many Brits outside big cities and tourist areas is not cheap.

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

And with the extra 15% service charge makes it $8 which for many Brits outside big cities and tourist areas is not cheap.

Well perhaps outside of big cities in Britain and small villages in India but compared to other cruise brands it is cheap . 🍺 Cheers .

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pleased you were pleased....

The beer prices are cheaper than most "happy hours" in the U.S.   Nothing beats a San Miguel in the Commodore Club sailing out of Stockholm through the archipelago.  And unlike the Grills Lounge, the crisps are not stale shards. 

Me... I just like to see another Expos fan .. like QE2, they date from 1969!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, richstowe said:

You can book Cunard Complete Air at reasonable rates , especially 1 way , if you us a TA or call Cunard  to book .

I read the OP's review with great interest since my husband and I recently spent 26 days on the QE sailing Alaska as well as the repositioning to Los Angeles.  With this recent voyage, we are now Diamond World Club with most of our sailings on QM2.  We have sailed QE before including its first Alaska season several years ago.

I'm generally in agreement with the OP except for area - MDR staff.  We ate many meals - breakfast, lunch, and dinner - in the MDR. We selected open seating for dinner as we sometimes eat in the alternative venues and we enjoy sharing a table with different people.  We had a standing reservation for 7:30pm. We sat at tables all over the lower MDR. Overall service was adequate and very hit-or-miss in terms of quality.  I don't exactly know what was wrong as compared with previous sailings - low morale, inadequate training, poor management - but something was not quite right. It was a much less pleasant experience than our last time on the QE.

A few examples:

• "Auctioning" of food by servers among persons at a table or even between tables.  This is a no-no in the restaurant world and reflects training issues.
  • Inconsistency on the part of the senior waiter in introducing himself and his assistant.  Either it is a Cunard standard or it isn't.  Ditto for asking how the food is, whether the meat is prepared to one's liking, etc. Not sure if this is due to understaffing, weak service teams, or inadequate training.
  • Banging and clanging of dishes and cutlery at the service stations was so loud it was difficult to carry on a conversation at times.  This occurred even when the Captain made an announcement over the PA.
  • A waiter chastising my husband for not placing his cutlery correctly on his plate so that the waiter knew he was done.

We will be on the QM2 in October and hoping that the dining experience is better.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

I read the OP's review with great interest since my husband and I recently spent 26 days on the QE sailing Alaska as well as the repositioning to Los Angeles.  With this recent voyage, we are now Diamond World Club with most of our sailings on QM2.  We have sailed QE before including its first Alaska season several years ago.

I'm generally in agreement with the OP except for area - MDR staff.  We ate many meals - breakfast, lunch, and dinner - in the MDR. We selected open seating for dinner as we sometimes eat in the alternative venues and we enjoy sharing a table with different people.  We had a standing reservation for 7:30pm. We sat at tables all over the lower MDR. Overall service was adequate and very hit-or-miss in terms of quality.  I don't exactly know what was wrong as compared with previous sailings - low morale, inadequate training, poor management - but something was not quite right. It was a much less pleasant experience than our last time on the QE.

A few examples:

• "Auctioning" of food by servers among persons at a table or even between tables.  This is a no-no in the restaurant world and reflects training issues.
  • Inconsistency on the part of the senior waiter in introducing himself and his assistant.  Either it is a Cunard standard or it isn't.  Ditto for asking how the food is, whether the meat is prepared to one's liking, etc. Not sure if this is due to understaffing, weak service teams, or inadequate training.
  • Banging and clanging of dishes and cutlery at the service stations was so loud it was difficult to carry on a conversation at times.  This occurred even when the Captain made an announcement over the PA.
  • A waiter chastising my husband for not placing his cutlery correctly on his plate so that the waiter knew he was done.

We will be on the QM2 in October and hoping that the dining experience is better.

What does auctioning of food mean ? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

What does auctioning of food mean ? 

curious about this too...

you mean when waiters come to the table and announce the dish expecting the person who ordered to confirm it is to go to their place on the table?