LAFFNVEGAS Alaska Bound...Live September 3, 2023 HAL Westerdam

LAFFNVEGAS

11 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

SilvertoGold - the eggplant cannelloni parmigiano was my 2nd choice - a close 2nd.

I bet it's good.

HAL has had a few variations this entree over the years but the latest is the best! 

BTW: Looking at Lisa's photo of the Opera Cake, I can say I blew it by not ordering dessert.  That particular variation is fantastic!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I have yet to make up my mind on all the dinner menus you’ve posted!  I think I’ll be in trouble in November as I’ll have no choice but to pick something, lol.

I think these menus are specific to Alaskan cruises.  They really have some nice “local” additions.  The menus I am seeing on the Navigator for my TA in October are slightly different.  

@LAFFNVEGAS Thank you for this thread and the pictures.  Quite an enjoyable and positive read!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I think these menus are specific to Alaskan cruises.  They really have some nice “local” additions.  The menus I am seeing on the Navigator for my TA in October are slightly different.  

Oh I never thought of that except for the fish.  I’ve never gone hungry on a ship so not worried, lol.  Might be a good selling point to get my hubby to go on an Alaska cruise again though.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

How are you eeing menus in Navigator?  I have a NE/Canadian cruise departing 9/30 and can only see a sample menu, not the menus for my cruise.  Am I missing something?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mhoffrob said:

How are you eeing menus in Navigator?  I have a NE/Canadian cruise departing 9/30 and can only see a sample menu, not the menus for my cruise.  Am I missing something

So you can download that day's menu in the navigator app by clicking on dining and then main dining, and then dinner menu. If you ship is on the same itinerary this week as your week, the menus should be the same.

I just got back from a Boston to Quebec cruise on Zuiderdam and posted all the menus. They are very similar to these menus.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Does ordering the Filet & Lobster add to the dining time or do they deliver it quick enough?

It arrived fast and both our entrees at the same time. Tom said that last night both the Lobster and steak were perfect, filet very tender and tasty. He was impressed with the Lobster and had not been for many years.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

It’s Friday night and time to play What’s for Dinner tonight on the Holland America Westerdam, tonight is Dess up night but we are in Canaletto the Italian Specialty Restaurant. The small plates are like Appetizer’s 
What would you be ordering? 

IMG_4578.jpeg

IMG_4579.jpeg

• Like 3

If they will let you order two small plates instead of a large plate, I would love the Canaletto salad, Langoustine tomato soup, Affogato, and red wine please.

I'm going to be so sad when "our" cruise ends and our game ends!  Thanks for including us.  Cherie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We had early 5 pm reservation but almost did not make it we decided to to take a nap but I set my alarm for 4:20 . Well sometime during our nap we crossed the dateline between Alaska time and Pacific time and it flipped ahead an hour and skipped my 4:20pm alarm. I woke and my watch said 5:51 😮 Well I showed I can get ready very quickly 😁 We got there at 5:10 and were still first to be seated. Then minutes later it started to full up.

We started with sharing the Meatballs, then I had the Canaletto Salad, then Tom had the Short Ribs but with the Carrots and potatoes from the Sirloin, then I had Lasagna, Tom had Chocolate Gelato and I had Pistachio. Plus Baileys and Coffee.
I will say the Canaletto is one of those Restaurants with HAL that is not consistent. We last had Canaletto on the Rotterdam in July 2022 and we were amazed how good everything thing was. Sadly this was just OK, not the worst but definitely not the best. Main Dining Room this week has been fantastic.

IMG_4581.jpeg

IMG_4582.jpeg

IMG_4583.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

IMG_4585.jpeg

IMG_4586.jpeg

IMG_4587.jpeg

IMG_4588.jpeg

IMG_4589.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Looks like there is still a worldwide beet shortage based on your salad!! 😮 I swear, last fall on the Rotterdam they shaved all the beets into almost impossibly small pieces both in the dining room salads that supposedly featured beets as well as the Lido salad bar.  It became a running joke to me on how much smaller they could cut them and still be visible!!  Ha ha.  I love beets!

The Canaletto food sure looked good.....what a shame you said it was just OK. I've had good meals there in the past, but inconsistency abounds on HAL!!   Glad to hear positive reports about the MDR.

I'm enjoying seeing all the food options and your experiences around the ship.  

Thank you,

~Nancy

• Like 2

9 hours ago, canadianbear said:
10 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Veal Liver Veneziana

I’ve never tried that, I’ll have to consider that at the Canaletto.  I assume very tender?

Yes, very tender. But it's not on the new menu - unless it's one of the un-named daily specials.

• Like 2