The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 5th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning. Us men stayed up late last night playing rummy. I’m never late and usually show 15-20 minutes early. Today we are going to Tillamook Creamery for ice cream and cheese tasting.

It’s a beautiful day here so a walk on the beach and I’ll be on the lookout for gray whales. I saw a couple yesterday right in front of us and close to shore.

Thanks for the reports and list. Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.9c31a1d8ae37ed8a1d5c92fb20d114cb.jpegimage.jpeg.faa3914cef333ef5c9556dce417cb162.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.829bc579a2e2526339d3c61cc7a9a009.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5c2c449a82c69d901490fc157dfaad96.jpegimage.jpeg.fd82c2fab4f82cdb9901a0dfc6e4108a.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 18

Good morning all!

We're having a cloudy morning, but the weatherman says it will be sunny for the next 5 days, mid 60's-mid 70's.  

I have no appointments today, so nothing to be late for thank goodness!  DH has a doctor's appt. but he's never, ever late and always early. 😂  The big box store has a decent cheese pizza, but otherwise I prefer some toppings on mine.  We will celebrate day of charity by bringing some canned goods to the Food Bank today.  Good quote, will pass on the red wine and drink.  I'd like the meal, but not today.  We were in Trieste in 2021 but unfortunately had terrible weather that day.  It was raining so hard we just took a bus tour and never stepped off. 😉  

Yesterday I got a much-needed hair cut, and it feels sooo good. 🙂  The DGSs will start school tomorrow -- this summer went by fast!  I can't believe they're starting 3rd and 5th grades.  

Terry @smitty34877I'm sorry you didn't sleep well last night.  For once I did sleep well, and that rarely happens -- maybe once every 7-10 days or so.  I hope tonight will be better for you.

Jake @Crazy For Cats I'm glad that your DM is out of ICU and in a regular room.  Prayers for continued recovery.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope today's neurosurgery appointment goes well and you find out when your DH's shunt will be placed.

Maureen @RMLincoln Bon Voyage!

Nancy @ottahand7 thank you for posting the photos of your gorgeous flowers.

Annie @marshhawk I'm sorry to hear that your BIL Scott had a stroke.  Prayers for a swift and full recovery.

@Denise T I don't blame you for looking for a cruise sooner than 2025 -- and no, it isn't too late for next fall.  

When we were in Trieste in 2021 it was one of the first cruises after the shutdown, and we were sent to Trieste instead of Venice.  I really would like to get back there with better weather, it was hard to see much through the raindrops on the bus windows!  But I could see enough to know I'd like to see more.

We couldn't venture out on our own (Italy’s rules) and we had to show our Covid vaccination cards, passports, negative test results within the past 72 hours, and a QR code sent to our email. The only tour offered was this bus tour.  Obviously they didn't want us mingling with the locals!  🤣

First photo taken from our balcony.  The busses are lined up waiting for excursions.  Everyone had to take a tour, no DIY in Italy at that time.

Triesteparkinglot.jpg.915ce11afc09fe93d5e4558554fb7686.jpg

All the rest of the photos are taken from the bus through raindrops.

Roman Theater of Trieste.  Built the end of the 1st century B.C.

Triestetheater.jpg.de8faab9fc2839de1c8357796adcacc6.jpg

Pillars from ancient ruins

ancientruins.jpg.91a4257e57f88e9c67c8c2a9c2c44adc.jpg

And Trieste street scenes

Triestestreet.jpg.16734836a2cef0a74e1a785b016cfe5a.jpg

Triestebuilding.jpg.a27116519ebf9164197dd2ce309f4d67.jpg

rainystreet.jpg.9d320abd4634f408276bd41136961cd8.jpg

anotherrainystreet.jpg.a17fe710d3ca7c03c98ab5aa18db6889.jpg

It finally stopped raining towards the end of the tour (of course!) this is Miremare Castle.

MiremareCastle.jpg.25a038961b806e74aa8f6df627e6f192.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

I was late to a call I was hosting, so I can check that off, but it wasn't well received so likely I'll not deliberately do it again, lol.

I like cheese pizza and a charitable heart will take us far.

Was in Trieste 2017 for DS birthday cruise. I think I enjoyed it, but we tragically lost our younger brother during that trip and it's a blur. Haven't been back yet, but hope to go again one day.

Currently 91, work started very early this morning and I didn't check it until now. Just another hot, dry week. Ugh

Prayers and thoughts 🙏 to all on care and rotation list and their families.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich 🙂 

and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann.

Good combination of days.  I”m definitely late to the Daily so I guess I am celebrating Be Late day.  Cheese Pizza day blends well with the meal suggestion.  Day of Charity should be everyday. 

IMG_1032.thumb.jpeg.16050d593f6eaa1b1a09e0700965208e.jpeg

In case anyone doubts there can be such a sign, this was in Bay of Islands NZ in 2020:

image.png.abba8dba0caab338f0b9dbfba0670ff8.png

Roy

• Like 22

Good morning and I am celebrating late day by being late. I did not sleep well last night so was up at 3. At 5 I went back to bed and did manage to get an additional couple of hours before the dogs told me that I would regret it if I did not rise at once. So I plan to work on some small chores today, go to the bank, and not nap at all. I need to get back on some sort of schedule. The dogs are now sleeping soundly.

Cool here. It was 43F when the dogs and I went out. High today will be low 70's. Still no rain in sight. I am noticing some splashes of color in some of the trees. My butterfly bush is blooming... about a month late... and I have seen a few Monarchs around it. This weather seems to be throwing everyone and everything off.

Sending prayers and best wishes to all needing them today. I had better get moving or I will fall asleep at the computer.

Susan

• Like 20

On board! NCL Joy. Waiting for room, might be 3 hrs!  But we’re here, pool deck, quite warm even in the shade. Thanks all for the fun Bon Voyage send-off “unching” us along!  Whew! 

Vanessa will keep track. I won’t have ship internet but hoping in ports I’ll be able to check in. Blessings go out whether I post or not. m—

• Like 24

35 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We're having a cloudy morning, but the weatherman says it will be sunny for the next 5 days, mid 60's-mid 70's.  

I have no appointments today, so nothing to be late for thank goodness!  DH has a doctor's appt. but he's never, ever late and always early. 😂  The big box store has a decent cheese pizza, but otherwise I prefer some toppings on mine.  We will celebrate day of charity by bringing some canned goods to the Food Bank today.  Good quote, will pass on the red wine and drink.  I'd like the meal, but not today.  We were in Trieste in 2021 but unfortunately had terrible weather that day.  It was raining so hard we just took a bus tour and never stepped off. 😉  

Yesterday I got a much-needed hair cut, and it feels sooo good. 🙂  The DGSs will start school tomorrow -- this summer went by fast!  I can't believe they're starting 3rd and 5th grades.  

Terry @smitty34877I'm sorry you didn't sleep well last night.  For once I did sleep well, and that rarely happens -- maybe once every 7-10 days or so.  I hope tonight will be better for you.

Jake @Crazy For Cats I'm glad that your DM is out of ICU and in a regular room.  Prayers for continued recovery.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope today's neurosurgery appointment goes well and you find out when your DH's shunt will be placed.

Maureen @RMLincoln Bon Voyage!

Nancy @ottahand7 thank you for posting the photos of your gorgeous flowers.

Annie @marshhawk I'm sorry to hear that your BIL Scott had a stroke.  Prayers for a swift and full recovery.

@Denise T I don't blame you for looking for a cruise sooner than 2025 -- and no, it isn't too late for next fall.  

When we were in Trieste in 2021 it was one of the first cruises after the shutdown, and we were sent to Trieste instead of Venice.  I really would like to get back there with better weather, it was hard to see much through the raindrops on the bus windows!  But I could see enough to know I'd like to see more.

We couldn't venture out on our own (Italy’s rules) and we had to show our Covid vaccination cards, passports, negative test results within the past 72 hours, and a QR code sent to our email. The only tour offered was this bus tour.  Obviously they didn't want us mingling with the locals!  🤣

First photo taken from our balcony.  The busses are lined up waiting for excursions.  Everyone had to take a tour, no DIY in Italy at that time.

Triesteparkinglot.jpg.915ce11afc09fe93d5e4558554fb7686.jpg

All the rest of the photos are taken from the bus through raindrops.

Roman Theater of Trieste.  Built the end of the 1st century B.C.

Triestetheater.jpg.de8faab9fc2839de1c8357796adcacc6.jpg

Pillars from ancient ruins

ancientruins.jpg.91a4257e57f88e9c67c8c2a9c2c44adc.jpg

And Trieste street scenes

Triestestreet.jpg.16734836a2cef0a74e1a785b016cfe5a.jpg

Triestebuilding.jpg.a27116519ebf9164197dd2ce309f4d67.jpg

rainystreet.jpg.9d320abd4634f408276bd41136961cd8.jpg

anotherrainystreet.jpg.a17fe710d3ca7c03c98ab5aa18db6889.jpg

It finally stopped raining towards the end of the tour (of course!) this is Miremare Castle.

MiremareCastle.jpg.25a038961b806e74aa8f6df627e6f192.jpg

Thanks so much for your photos of Trieste.  It looks absolutely beautiful there.  

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

On board! NCL Joy. Waiting for room, might be 3 hrs!  But we’re here, pool deck, quite warm even in the shade. Thanks all for the fun Bon Voyage send-off “unching” us along!  Whew! 

Vanessa will keep track. I won’t have ship internet but hoping in ports I’ll be able to check in. Blessings go out whether I post or not. m—

Can you tell me the stations where you boarded and disembarked the train?

Roy

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

I recently watched a Mighty Cruise Ship episode on the Joy. I thought the ship looked nice and wouldn't mind giving it a try.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Us men stayed up late last night playing rummy. I’m never late and usually show 15-20 minutes early. Today we are going to Tillamook Creamery for ice cream and cheese tasting.

It’s a beautiful day here so a walk on the beach and I’ll be on the lookout for gray whales. I saw a couple yesterday right in front of us and close to shore.

Thanks for the reports and list. Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.9c31a1d8ae37ed8a1d5c92fb20d114cb.jpegimage.jpeg.faa3914cef333ef5c9556dce417cb162.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.829bc579a2e2526339d3c61cc7a9a009.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5c2c449a82c69d901490fc157dfaad96.jpegimage.jpeg.fd82c2fab4f82cdb9901a0dfc6e4108a.jpeg

Enjoy Tillamook! Get an extra scoop of ice cream on me, not your face! 😀

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, summer slope said:

In a moment of weakness, we have booked a four night cruise on the new Disney wish with our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson. Over spring break in April. Oh my goodness.

Been there done that!  How old is your grandson?  We had a fabulous time with DS and family in 2013 and 2015 on Disney Dream.  Hint:  While the younger family members are at the very crowded large pool area, you and George need to relax at the adult pool area.  There is an adult only area on Castaway Cay, the private Disney Island too but it's a bit of a walk.  However they have shuttles over there and back.  You will always remember this trip!

• Like 17

Good day and thanks all!  
Trieste is a fabulous place,  visit lovely Castello del Miramare if you go,  the coastline that inspired Rilke, and the lovely town Palmanova shaped like a star.  We spent several days in the region. 

We are still suffering extreme smoke, the most days ever recorded.  Hoping some winds come soon although the rain hasn’t helped! 

Bon voyage @RMLincoln

• Like 21

38 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Been there done that!  How old is your grandson?  We had a fabulous time with DS and family in 2013 and 2015 on Disney Dream.  Hint:  While the younger family members are at the very crowded large pool area, you and George need to relax at the adult pool area.  There is an adult only area on Castaway Cay, the private Disney Island too but it's a bit of a walk.  However they have shuttles over there and back.  You will always remember this trip!

He will be 3 months shy of 6. 

• Like 15

@Crazy For Cats and @HAL4NOW thank you for sharing pictures of your beautiful day!  

In news of the good, I slept through my "assigned watch" of 3:30 this morning. Glad that's over!

In news of the weird, I was typing up some notes before a meeting with my consulting client. Word kept insisting that correctly spelled words, weren't!  When I clicked for its suggestions, they were in DUTCH!  Since I don't know how to change my default language, I certainly hadn't done so. Quite frankly, Dutch isn't even one of the languages that I can speak a traveler's smattering of. The only reason I can come up with is that the Universe is gently telling me not to worry that our Holland American cruise will happen as planned!

May the Universe be as unexpectedly kind to all of you!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the link to the port of the day Sandi. This is what I posted then. 

We were in Trieste June 13th when we disembarked the Oosterdam. We only saw it from our bus windows on our way to Venice. I think it would be a lovely place to tour.  This is the cruise terminal:

D82FD833-9913-41CA-96E5-DF5EEC2C79A8.thumb.jpeg.476525ff660ca45db06311594a869f5f.jpeg

I didn’t take any other pictures but Craig might have so I’ll check his later. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2