A bit nervous about our upcoming trip

aml3679

Our first cruise was on the Millennium 12 years ago where we renewed our wedding vows after 25 years.

Celebrity is our favorite line.

To celebrate our mutual retirements, my husband surprised me by booking a Sky Suite on the Silhouette in November, a 10 day Southern Caribbean.

Since we both live on only social security, this was quite the stretch for us.

With all of the negative comments lately, I am concerned.

I would not use a butler to unpack, I was looking forward to other things.  Such as, emptying ur mini refrigerator and filling it with sodas and water.  Filling an ice bucket.  Small requests.

There are so many saying they will never sail again on Celebrity.

We paid a good chunk of change for this cruise.  Probably first and last time in a suite.

Please reassure me that everything is going to be fine.IMG_0329.jpeg.c7e8262ea688dd932b227e45232a007e.jpeg

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

• Like 3

please do not take the negative comments to heart ... no matter how perfect something is you will always find people that have issues with it - and if you take the thousands of people that cruise with both Celebrity and other companies there is only one or two that comment on forums 

your are with your life partner on an amazing ship - you will have a great time - live your best life and don't let anyone say otherwise 

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Irish clare said:

please do not take the negative comments to heart ... no matter how perfect something is you will always find people that have issues with it - and if you take the thousands of people that cruise with both Celebrity and other companies there is only one or two that comment on forums 

your are with your life partner on an amazing ship - you will have a great time - live your best life and don't let anyone say otherwise 

This.

The reality is that ALL cruise lines are changing. People, myself included, don't like change. If you look at any of the other major cruise line forums, you'll see the same complaints and the I'll never sail this cruise line again comments. But, people still do and people still have an amazing time...you will too!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

This.

The reality is that ALL cruise lines are changing. People, myself included, don't like change. If you look at any of the other major cruise line forums, you'll see the same complaints and the I'll never sail this cruise line again comments. But, people still do and people still have an amazing time...you will too!

+ 1

Remember, it's an adventure.

Ignore the negativity.

• Like 2

Congratulations on your retirement!  Don't be nervous ... you are going on a cruise !!!!!!!!!!!

Of course there is truth among what you are reading but all that type stuff will fade away when you are boarding the ship, getting to your room, sailing away.  Things change but don't let it all get in your head to ruin something that you should be looking forward to with excitement.

Happy cruising 🎉 🥳

• Like 2

Your room attendant will bring you ice twice daily. People have reported being able to have their fridges emptied (or if not just empty yourself and let your room attendant know you have done so and where you have put the contents). First few days of your cruise simply pick up a couple of cans or bottles to take to your room, you will I am sure, find neither of these things an issue big enough to take the glow off your retirement cruise!

The Silhouette is a beautiful ship and the Retreat Deck is lovely as is the Retreat Lounge…Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2

I have been on Cruise Critic for going on 18 years and if I took the opinions to heart I would never step foot on a ship, no sane person would. The sky has been falling according to some for a long time.

Edited by cruzeluver
spelling
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4

Congratulations on your retirement. Firstly I was on Silhouette in May. A Beautiful ship we were in Aqua. We stopped by the bars after excursions and on sea days a couple of times a day and got waters or whatever other drinks we wanted. It didn’t spoil our trip whatsoever. Please don’t worry and have a lovely cruise. 

• Like 2

Lovely photos! I am sure you will have a wonderful time, we are about to board Silhouette tomorrow, we are not in a suite, my husband treated the kids to a free holiday instead of booking us a suite! Lol. 

I will be posting photos and honest opnions on dinners etc, but, am sure that it is still a beautiful ship, with a fantastic crew who will be trying their best to please. Congratulations on retirement, enjoy it! 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aml3679 said:

I can only tell you that we first sailed Celebrity in May and LOVED it. We've done Oceania, Royal and Holland (one trip each). Celebrity was my favorite overall. The food on Oceania was outstanding, but the entertainment was lacking for us. Royal was just too busy, too many kids and I wasn't thrilled with the food. Honestly, we were booked to go on Virgin (wanted to give them a try) for January (our 25th anniversary) and they CANCELLED our cruise yesterday. We got lucky and booked a Celebrity Edge infinite verandah. I think everything happens for a reason. Have a wonderful time!!

4 hours ago, aml3679 said:

Our first cruise was on the Millennium 12 years ago where we renewed our wedding vows after 25 years.

Celebrity is our favorite line.

To celebrate our mutual retirements, my husband surprised me by booking a Sky Suite on the Silhouette in November, a 10 day Southern Caribbean.

Since we both live on only social security, this was quite the stretch for us.

I would not use a butler to unpack, I was looking forward to other things.  Such as, emptying ur mini refrigerator and filling it with sodas and water.  Filling an ice bucket.  Small requests.

We paid a good chunk of change for this cruise.  Probably first and last time in a suite.

Please reassure me that everything is going to be fine.IMG_0329.jpeg.c7e8262ea688dd932b227e45232a007e.jpeg

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

Since you don't mind the small things like a butler unpacking (and personally I wouldn't want it either) and it's your first time in a suite, have a great time and enjoy the itinerary!  It seems like a lot of the concerns are from either long time suite sailing folks or those elite and above who will note the changes.  I am Elite through Royal and have sailed 6x on Celebrity.  I love Celebrity.  I personally do not want to psy the prices of Celebrity to sail 3x a year in the Retreat which is what I would pick now.  But a special occasion is different.  Congratulations!

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3

I agree you need to take Cruise Critic negative comments with a grain of salt as you never know who’s serious and who’s trolling.

Also there are changes going on but in my opinion, none seem to be a big deal for me.

We’ve always enjoyed our Celebrity cruises and I’m envious you’re going on one and not me.  But we do have 10 day cruises booked in Jan 2024 and Jan 2025 so all is good

• Like 2

@aml3679 I agree with the above sentiments, you will have a wonderful time if you focus on having a good time and not let things get you down. 

Have the mini bar emptied.  Take the Celebrity Tote bag you'll find in your room down to the retreat lounge and fill it with what drinks you want for the room.  They have coolers there with the non-alcoholic beverages and you can take them back and replenish daily from the lounge.  You can also ask the bar tender for cans of beer to take back with you.  

As mentioned earlier, just let you state room attendant know that you would like the ice bucket refreshed twice a day. I've never had a problem with them doing this. 

Relax and enjoy your retirement.  You've earned it. 

• Like 1

I am one of many who has posted about my displeasure with many of the changes. Despite them being so downplayed on this thread the changes, and  tests of other changes are real. We shouldn't pretend otherwise. 

That said, there is still very much to enjoy and I'm sure you'll have a great cruise! Since it's been so long since you sailed, you will no doubt notice changes, some a cut, but others a better experience.  Overall I'm sure the cruise will be a lot of fun. I myself  have 7 upcoming Celebrity cruises which I intend to take and enjoy. 

• Like 1

I agree with the above posters.  Love the wedding photos and I love the Silhouette!   The little changes implemented post-COVID are minor in comparison with my joy in cruising after the 22-month shut down.   It's always a joy to cruise!  

• Like 1

You will really enjoy the suite and service. Been on a few and it is excellent 

that said, don’t pay attention to anything past the 3rd page as it will be filled with complaining and grumbling just because you have them a forum to talk on. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, aml3679 said:

Where do I start ?

Congratulations on you retirements, the beautiful photos, and the 47 years married.

I would love to meet folks like you in person --- face to face has so much more credibility than reading a post on a social media site.

From the posts above, please add me to the list of those ''encouraging " you to just look forward to your upcoming cruise and don't pay one minute of attention to the negative comments.

LOL--- If " so many say they will never sail again on Celebrity " , then why are they even looking at posts on Celebrity's CC site ?  

( I don't sail on XYZ and am not interested ( don't lurk ) at any comments on their site ).

Now, about the " negative comments "---- Lately there has been absolute nonsense posted !

( The ones about "no round tomatoes", or, "my onion soup was served cold" --- can you imagine even thinking about posting " garbage" like that ) ??

We were on the Silhouette and have a cruise booked again this winter -- nothing, zero to complain about at all .

"my husband surprised me by booking a Sky Suite "----Very nice----

LOL-- I better not tell " you know who" about the surprise otherwise Pinboy might " hear about it " for ,forever .

4 hours ago, cruzeluver said:

I have been on Cruise Critic for going on 18 years and if I took the opinions to heart I would never step foot on a ship, no sane person would. The sky has been falling according to some for a long time.

This, exactly this^^^^^

To the OP...relax, enjoy the cruise.  That is a great itinerary. 

4 hours ago, cruzeluver said:

Agree. I've been a CC member since 2001. We would never book or not book a cruise, cruise line, ship, itinerary, etc. based on others positive or negative opinions or experiences. Looking forward to our October Eclipse cruise. 30 day count down started yesterday. 

Edited by doghog