Young family first cruise

NoBoozeCruise

Hello,

Please share your tips for a very young family of 4 taking a cruise. 

We have many questions, especially around the safety of the balcony, ship common areas and ease of dining. The interior cabins appear smaller but come with the peace of mind of no surprise balcony chair leaning. 

We are not set on which line we will go with just yet, but we wish to avoid 24/7 party boats aimed at 20 something's or loud people. We want a family friendly cruise for multi generational passengers. 

Ages of your children could help with replies.  Generally if someone wants danger on a balcony they must have alcohol onboard or have help to go overboard, although I did see a photo of some teens sitting on their balcony railing.  

There are lines that offer inside cabins that are considerably larger than the average balcony cabin.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

Royal Caribbean would be my choice. I have been on 34 cruises and I have taken my kids on half of then. The larger Royal ships have everything you could want. They have spacious interior rooms, with 2 bedrooms. Have a great cruise.

Agree as well.  And just so you know, the balcony staterooms have a child door lock high on the frame of the balcony doors that the stateroom attendant will show you.  If your children are young it is not likely they would ever be on the balconies unsupervised anyway.  The balcony rails are also intentionally high and the outer barriers are solid metal or glass panels, depending on the ship. Very safe and typically only able to go over with intention.

Dining is easy with families with menu items oriented to include the kids.  No issues with common areas as well. RCCL's primary demographics are families and multi generation cruisers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Ages of your children could help with replies.  Generally if someone wants danger on a balcony they must have alcohol onboard or have help to go overboard, although I did see a photo of some teens sitting on their balcony railing.  

There are lines that offer inside cabins that are considerably larger than the average balcony cabin.

They are young enough to need help eating, getting dressed and can not be left alone, especially on a balcony, in a pool and by railings. Very far away from being teenagers. We wish to see the Carribbean with them and bring grandma and grandpa too. We need pools, slides and kids clubs with informal, flexible dining.  We absolutely do not want to be on a party boat as it would be quite inappropriate to expose them to alcohol influenced young adults. 

Which cruise line ships offer large inside cabins?

I was looking at ground floor balconies, AIDA cruises appear to have large balconies that are almost at deck level that trades privacy to guarantee safety and still provide outside space for us to relax while they nap in the room. Maybe we will also not feel like isolated parents due to the walkway that is next to the balcony. 

Since this is a first cruise, you have young children, and have many questions, you might check out the Family Cruises forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/   That may allay some of your child safety concerns.

If you want to avoid a booze cruise  then try to go on one that is 1 week or longer. Short cruises attract the partyers. Otherwise, NCL OR RCCL  will have the informality and family friendly atmosphere you are looking for, and their larger ships will have the amusement park extras that some find appealing. I'm not familiar with the UK or European lines.

There are different cabin options you can look at. Balcony, Ocean View, Family cabins, and Inside. You can also look at a separate cabin for the grandparents, or a connecting one. The latter (especially if you won't have a balcony) would be good for the grownups when the kids are sleeping or napping.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoBoozeCruise said:

We wish to see the Carribbean with them and bring grandma and grandpa too. We need pools, slides and kids clubs with informal, flexible dining.  We absolutely do not want to be on a party boat as it would be quite inappropriate to expose them to alcohol influenced young adults. 

Which cruise line ships offer large inside cabins?

IMO Royal Caribbean would check off the most boxes for you.  They have larger inside family staterooms on some ships as well as flexible family dining called Family My Time dining.  They are not a party boat - that would more typically be Carnival.  I would suggest contacting a travel agent to assist you with your investigation but would again suggest RCCL as the first one to look at.  By "ground floor" I assume you mean what would typically be called the promenade deck.  Most cruise lines have their balconies typically beginning one deck above that which would still be a low deck.  But that in of itself does not make them any safer - maybe just more convenient to different lower deck venues. 

Here is the link to the (US) Royal Caribbean website which will give you a lot of information:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships

Good luck in your searching.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

IMO Royal Caribbean would check off the most boxes for you.  They have larger inside family staterooms on some ships as well as flexible family dining called Family My Time dining.  They are not a party boat - that would more typically be Carnival.  I would suggest contacting a travel agent to assist you with your investigation but would again suggest RCCL as the first one to look at.  By "ground floor" I assume you mean what would typically be called the promenade deck.  Most cruise lines have their balconies typically beginning one deck above that which would still be a low deck.  But that in of itself does not make them any safer - maybe just more convenient to different lower deck venues. 

Here is the link to the (US) Royal Caribbean website which will give you a lot of information:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships

Good luck in your searching.

Thank you. 

Yes AIDA has balcony cabins that are the same height as the promenade that runs next to it, not beneath it. These are apparently family balcony rooms. 

I am hesitant to try Royal Caribbean. 

We will be going on a Transatlantic cruise. 12 to 20 nights departing from Europe preferably.

I had looked at the Queen Mary 2, as it would be my choice, but I do believe my children will have fun with the activities of the more mainstream cruise lines as opposed to a traditional ocean liner. 

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Since this is a first cruise, you have young children, and have many questions, you might check out the Family Cruises forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/   

Thank you so much. Yes I shall take a look at the family cruise forum. 

Yes we are avoiding short cruises from certain ports. Looking at 2 or 3 weeks transatlantic departing from more reserved European countries. We like the luxury of quieter cultured holidays with space, taking a cruise for the children is a big step. It may be a once only adventure so we will make the most of it. 

8 hours ago, NoBoozeCruise said:

We will be going on a Transatlantic cruise. 12 to 20 nights departing from Europe preferably.

I had looked at the Queen Mary 2, as it would be my choice, but I do believe my children will have fun with the activities of the more mainstream cruise lines as opposed to a traditional ocean liner. 

Sorry - it wasn't clear from your initial post that you were looking at a long transatlantic cruise.  You did say you wanted to see the Caribbean and your focus was not being on a booze cruise, balcony safety, and on board atmosphere for children. That all describes shorter vacation type itineraries, for which Royal would be a good fit. BTW, none of the typical transatlantics would be a "booze cruise."

Most mainstream cruise lines typically use transatlantic crossings as repositioning cruises to get their ships from one seasonal region to another, which would typically be offered only twice a year between Europe and the US. That all being said, Royal would still be a good consideration if a liner cruise such as with the QM2 would not be your choice. However, because of school conflicts, etc., very few families would be on board - mostly older travelers who have the time for that type of crossing.

Curious why the hesitation with them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoBoozeCruise said:

OK. That is not at all what I was expecting from your first post. So you will be taking a fall  repositioning cruise, then. Which is about as far removed from a booze cruise as you can get. And while the kids clubs will be open, I would expect there to be very, very few other children aboard a cruise of that length, and at that time of year. 

And of course, autumn is still hurricane season, so there is no guarantee that your crossing would be a smooth one. If you are interested in a Caribbean cruise, have you considered doing a fly and cruise package instead?

• Like 3

Scattered thoughts that I hope will help: 

- Safety, of course, is paramount in the minds of all young parents.  When we took our first cruise (Disney Wonder), we put our kids into the kids' club, went to the top of the ship and "circled down" looking for a place where children could fall overboard.  We found one place on Deck 4 where a person could -- with effort -- squeeze past a gate and jump into the water near the lifeboats. 

Seriously, ships are designed for safety; you cannot be picked up by a stray wind because you were too close to the railing:  the railings are all fairly high, they are angled "inward" so as to be hard to climb, and they have plexiglass covering the footholds.  Sure, you could drag a chair over and get yourself over the railing, but it'd take effort.  Also, the main exterior decks (pool deck, etc.) are arranged like a wedding cake; that is, if you fell from one deck, you would land on the deck below /not in the ocean.  

The most dangerous place -- in terms of going overboard -- is a private room balcony.  The balconies are (mostly) arranged one on top of another, so you could jump over and go straight into the drink.  And you have chairs on the balcony.  On the other hand, balcony doors are heavy, and they lock.  You could also place a chair in front of a balcony door.  

- With small children and grandparents, my personal choice would be two connecting balconies.  It's a nice mid-point between price and space.  The balcony gives the parents a place to disappear to after the kids've gone to bed.  You can ask the cabin steward to "open up" the divider between your two balconies, and you'll have a giant balcony. 

- Ships do have some extra-large interior rooms (like a room + bunks maybe), but they are few in number.  You can get what you want more readily by reserving two connecting interiors -- two rooms, two bathrooms, connected by an interior door. 

- I fear you're imagining the ground-floor balcony option.  Anyway, the ship will not book you in a disabled room unless you are, you know, disabled.  Royal Caribbean has what they call "family staterooms", which are larger interiors, but -- as discussed above -- you can get more for your money by choosing two plain connecting interiors.  

- You know your kids.  If you lecture them sternly on "only when I'm with you!" will they stay off the balcony?  Are they capable of opening a heavy locked door?  You have to feel secure, so think once, twice, three times on this.  

- You want relaxed dining?  The buffet is for you -- it's open all three meals, and it's good food.  They have high chairs for the kids, and dinner is especially relaxed, as most people go elsewhere for dinner.  

- I'd expect you'd be happiest with the mainstream family ships:  Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival.  

- With small children, I would not recommend a trans-Atlantic.  Instead, I'd want an itinerary that'd allow you island stops, where the kids could enjoy the beach.  

- If you're still using diapers or other baby gear, bring plenty of your own.  Such things are available onboard, but they may not be your favorite brands, and you'll pay-pay-pay for them. 

- You didn't say the kids' ages, but I would prefer to take kids 3+ on a cruise.  Why?  The kids' clubs, which kids LOVE LOVE LOVE are for kids 3 and older.  With younger kids, you can put them in day care, but it costs ... $8/hour?  I'm talking Royal Caribbean.  The kids' club, on the other hand, is free.  Kids will receive a flyer on the bed each evening letting them know what's happening in the kids' club the next day, so you can them in at 10:00 for a Lego-building challenge or at noon to share a meal with their friends (while you enjoy a relaxed lunch) or evening for a PJ party.  

- Kids must be fully potty trained to use the pools onboard.  

- Do I understand, as I read further, that you've booked a 2-3 week cruise as your first foray with the children?  Please rethink this.  You don't know whether you'll like the experience, whether the children will like it, or how you'll do in the small stateroom.  A shorter "trial cruise", even if not in your ideal situation, would be wise.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

It would really help if you give us their ages. Some lines/ships have nurseries for kids under 2 or 3, some do not. The only lines that have splash areas for diapered kids are DCL and some RCL ships, none have any pools that allow kids in swim diapers. Some lines/ships are better options with young kids.

I beg to differ with a few things listed by  Mum2Mercury.  First, I am not aware of any ship that Carrie’s diapers onboard for kids or adults.  Now, unless you have stops in Africa, your stops are not in third world countries and if you find yourself running low on diapers, you can usually find diapers in port, though they may not be your favored brand and you might have trouble figuring out size.  But, who wants to spend port time shopping for diapers…. And if you are on a TA, you may go seven days without a port.

Now, most ships require tots to be potty trained to use the pools and splash pads.  However there are a few that do not, and I believe they are on Disney and Royal.  EM

32 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Now, most ships require tots to be potty trained to use the pools and splash pads.  However there are a few that do not, and I believe they are on Disney and Royal.  EM

Royal requires children to be potty trained for their pools.  Can't answer for Disney.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Royal requires children to be potty trained for their pools.  Can't answer for Disney.

All ships require children to potty trained and no swim diapers (same is true for adults). Some ships also have a splashpad for those in diapers.

18 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I beg to differ with a few things listed by  Mum2Mercury.  First, I am not aware of any ship that Carrie’s diapers onboard for kids or adults.  Now, unless you have stops in Africa, your stops are not in third world countries and if you find yourself running low on diapers, you can usually find diapers in port, though they may not be your favored brand and you might have trouble figuring out size.  But, who wants to spend port time shopping for diapers…. And if you are on a TA, you may go seven days without a port.

- Diapers on Royal Caribbean:  www.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/huggies-diapers

- Sure you can almost certainly find diapers ashore, but if you run out in the middle of a sea day, tomorrow is a looong way away.  

- Toddlers on Royal Caribbean can use the splash pad, but they cannot -- or, are supposed to not -- be in the main pool if they're not potty trained. 

24 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- Diapers on Royal Caribbean:  www.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/huggies-diapers

- Sure you can almost certainly find diapers ashore, but if you run out in the middle of a sea day, tomorrow is a looong way away.  

- Toddlers on Royal Caribbean can use the splash pad, but they cannot -- or, are supposed to not -- be in the main pool if they're not potty trained. 

Not all RCL shops have splash areas for diapered kids, just some ships.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 5:09 PM, Essiesmom said:

NCL you can order diapers and wipes to be delivered to your cabin.