Cruise Packing: What's Your Style?

amygutman

There are recent improvements in clothing fabrics that can improve packing.  The same amount of thin insulates and upf repellants can take up half the space of bulky cotton or woolen articles.  These newer fabrics are generally more durable and easily washed as well.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

There are recent improvements in clothing fabrics that can improve packing.  The same amount of thin insulates and upf repellants can take up half the space of bulky cotton or woolen articles.  These newer fabrics are generally more durable and easily washed as well.

They are well worth the upgrade. I buy a few pieces at the end of every season as needed 

• Like 3

On 9/18/2023 at 11:48 PM, Travelling2Some said:

...I also stuff one of those neck pillows with clothes.  I can get most of my underwear, 2 pair of leggings and an extra shirt in  that thing and it doesn't count as luggage.

Thanks to this post (and maybe some others), I looked into a stuffable travel pillow! I wound up buying two of this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y8XSPRN?

They appear larger, with a better shape & collar snap, than the couple that came up on the search that were just pillow cases meant to be stuffed. Those were just tube-shaped and black. I liked that there were colors! I got pink and gray. I will remove the pillows and work out a system to pack that will also be comfortable to actually sleep on. ETA has a zipper at the back.

image.png.e452bb92dd37c9632f1d97b551995af8.png

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Thanks to this post (and maybe some others), I looked into a stuffable travel pillow! I wound up buying two of this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y8XSPRN?

They appear larger, with a better shape & collar snap, than the couple that came up on the search that were just pillow cases meant to be stuffed. Those were just tube-shaped and black. I liked that there were colors! I got pink and gray. I will remove the pillows and work out a system to pack that will also be comfortable to actually sleep on. ETA has a zipper at the back.

image.png.e452bb92dd37c9632f1d97b551995af8.png

That looks like the same one I use and it is actually good for sleeping on long hauls (as well as stuffing with extra clothing).  The toggle in the front makes it work much better for sleeping than other designs I had tried. 

• Like 1

I typically try to only carry a backpack and a carryon. This way, I won't have to deal with lost checked luggage or waiting for it at the airport. I can pack a week's worth of clothes into a carryon but I'm also a petite girl. I recently did a 3 night 4 days trip with just a backpack and I bought souvenirs. I don't consider myself minimalist but I try. I've learned my lesson with traveling to Italy one time with a huge checked bag and had to carry it everywhere. It was not fun.  

• Like 3

We are taking this for 7 months on board the same ship (B2B2B cruises).   Normally for every trip we take the 2 backpacks and the 2 smaller rolling suitcases.  Carry on for any airline if we have to fly.  Hated adding the large suitcase but needed it this time. 

IMG_1841.jpeg

I tend toward maximalism in my packing. For my last number of cruises (3 TAs, one including an extra week in London beforehand, 1 7-day to Alaska, and 1 7-day CA/NE) I take a 25" checked bag plus a 45L backpack that can either be carry on or checked, depending on how many checked bags are included in my fare.  For the TA with the week in London beforehand, I checked the 45L backpack and had a laptop bag and a tote-style purse to carry on, as I was working in London and needed to take laptop + work materials. 

I'm doing a Cunard 16-day Panama Canal full transit in January (FLL - SFO) that I'm suspecting I'm going to need a second full sized suitcase, potentially along with the 45L backpack. Between multiple weather types (Florida & Caribbean through to rainy & chilly San Francisco in February), needing to dress for dinner (including multiple gala nights), and my addiction to shoes, I suspect I'm going to need the space. (Even though I will likely do at least a couple of loads of laundry while on board for daily wear items.)  

• Like 1

My preference is to pack appropriately - depending upon the anticipated duration, activities pre- and post-cruise, shipboard expectations, etc. ; and preferring not to spend time hunting for, or using, laundromats or the bathroom sink.   

I see no triumph in travelling “light” - strictly limiting myself to carry-on -preferring to attain the purpose of the trip: having a good time.  There is the occasional limited-activity and short-duration which makes carry-on only appropriate — but for most travel will bring what I want and need:  which entails checking luggage.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 8:14 AM, neeuqdrazil said:

I tend toward maximalism in my packing. For my last number of cruises (3 TAs, one including an extra week in London beforehand, 1 7-day to Alaska, and 1 7-day CA/NE) I take a 25" checked bag plus a 45L backpack that can either be carry on or checked, depending on how many checked bags are included in my fare.  For the TA with the week in London beforehand, I checked the 45L backpack and had a laptop bag and a tote-style purse to carry on, as I was working in London and needed to take laptop + work materials. 

I'm doing a Cunard 16-day Panama Canal full transit in January (FLL - SFO) that I'm suspecting I'm going to need a second full sized suitcase, potentially along with the 45L backpack. Between multiple weather types (Florida & Caribbean through to rainy & chilly San Francisco in February), needing to dress for dinner (including multiple gala nights), and my addiction to shoes, I suspect I'm going to need the space. (Even though I will likely do at least a couple of loads of laundry while on board for daily wear items.)  

"I tend toward maximalism in my packing."

Maximalism in packing -- I like that!   Before we packed two of the large 29" checked bags to 49.99# each plus backpacks for carry-on.  

Before our most recent trip, Mrs Ldubs procured a couple of under-seat wheelies.  They are about half the size of a normal carry-on wheelie and have trolley straps so they can be carried on top of our checked bags.  We combined those with our smaller 25" checked bags.  I was shocked that our checked bags each came in at under 37 pounds, even with extra clothes.  Nothing to carry, easy to stow on the plane, and very comfortable moving them around.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

"I tend toward maximalism in my packing."

Maximalism in packing -- I like that!   Before we packed two of the large 29" checked bags to 49.99# each plus backpacks for carry-on.  

Before our most recent trip, Mrs Ldubs procured a couple of under-seat wheelies.  They are about half the size of a normal carry-on wheelie and have trolley straps so they can be carried on top of our checked bags.  We combined those with our smaller 25" checked bags.  I was shocked that our checked bags each came in at under 37 pounds, even with extra clothes.  Nothing to carry, easy to stow on the plane, and very comfortable moving them around.  

What brand did she buy?  I'm looking for something this size and interested to hear what you chose.  TIA!

1 hour ago, aungrl said:

What brand did she buy?  I'm looking for something this size and interested to hear what you chose.  TIA!

Samsonite brand.  Called an Under Seater.   It is like the one shown below except blue color to match our existing Travel Pro luggage.  I packed three polo shirts, trousers, and some extra "unmentionables" and still had room for all the electronics, med's, & etc that I normally carry on the plane.   As mentioned previously, and what I really like, it has a trolley strap on the back side to fit over the handle of our checked bags.  

Underseater.thumb.jpg.2330f06d13e5aaf6e1b89c3094b65318.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Samsonite brand.  Called an Under Seater.   It is like the one shown below except blue color to match our existing Travel Pro luggage.  I packed three polo shirts, trousers, and some extra "unmentionables" and still had room for all the electronics, med's, & etc that I normally carry on the plane.   As mentioned previously, and what I really like, it has a trolley strap on the back side to fit over the handle of our checked bags.  

Underseater.thumb.jpg.2330f06d13e5aaf6e1b89c3094b65318.jpg

Thanks!  Will check it out - it looks like the right size.  

2 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Thanks!  Will check it out - it looks like the right size.  

You are welcome.  Everyone's mileage may vary but check it out.  I was surprised at the difference it made along with using the 25" instead of 29" checked bags.  We just got back from a two week land trip in Northern Italy.  I was way under the 50# limit on the checked bag and still brought more than I actually used.  I know, I'm kind of jazzed about this little bag!  Lol.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aungrl said:

Not Mrs Ldubs, but I recently bought two 16" underseat bags from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRMYWB4B?

and 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6KMKGQ1?

which are really the same bag with different outside pockets. The towing handle is super long to make up for the 16" height!

We haven't had a chance to use them, but they seem very use-able! Here they are with our personal items (also new) and our well-used roll-aboards, plus a 24-25" checkable spinner.

luggage.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, navybankerteacher said:

My preference is to pack appropriately - depending upon the anticipated duration, activities pre- and post-cruise, shipboard expectations, etc. ; and preferring not to spend time hunting for, or using, laundromats or the bathroom sink.   

I see no triumph in travelling “light” - strictly limiting myself to carry-on -preferring to attain the purpose of the trip: having a good time.  There is the occasional limited-activity and short-duration which makes carry-on only appropriate — but for most travel will bring what I want and need:  which entails checking luggage.

I agree. I've done carry-on for some land trips when we were going to be moving around a lot and it would just be more convenient.  But for a cruise, I think I will continue to opt for the checked bag and bringing what I want (which is usually more than I need).  

8 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Those are nice!

They seem to be. They weigh about as much as the IT-luggage rollaboards (which are very light), but that makes some sort of sense as the weight is all in the wheels and handles. That weight is just over 5 pounds each, I believe. I'm keen to try them out, maybe on the road-trip to California preceeding our 35-day South Pacific cruise. (But not the actual cruise! That's too little even for me!)