Cruise Packing: What's Your Style?

amygutman

19 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many years ago I worked with a guy who did not pack anything for cruises.

He only cruised in the summer and when he arrived at the first port stop he bought clothes for the entire cruise.He disposed of the clothing at the last port with the exception of what he needed for the last sea days .

@lenquixote66 Wow. That's both bold and brilliant. Though, rather of disposing of the clothes giving it to his stateroom attendant would have been my choice but heck, that's a very liberating way to travel!

Warmest Amy

19 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I have and can pack in a 21" carry on size plus a decent sized 'personal' item--the kind that would fit under the seat, but usually, since we tend to do longer trips, we each take one 24" plus our personal item for the plane.  If I know I will also be schlepping luggage on trains or buses or many different flights I try to do the carry-on just for ease in lugging it around.

We spent almost six weeks in Australia and New Zealand last year which involved two cruises and about 10 days of land travel with the above, and packing for extreme heat in the Outback and cold weather in the Fiords.   I didmind doing laundry on the first ship (Princess) and did a load twice in hotels.

For me, what the OP is posting is way too much, but we each have our own travel styles and needs and that is ok.  For this trip it was the misc. 'what ifs' that took up the most room.

@Nebr.cruiser That's why I asked the question - I am very curious about how different people "style" their packing. 6 weeks in Australia and New Zealand sounds just amazing....

Warmest Amy

13 hours ago, hallux said:

I'm all Android, but don't really see much need for a tracking device.  Sure, it's nice that we CAN, but what does it REALLY gain me?  ok - my bag is in Chicago but I'm in Miami, I'm not going to Chicago to retrieve it.  The airline will have it and can return it, I'm not getting it any faster by knowing what airport it might have gone to...

@hallux For us it's more of the "where are my belongings" vs the headache of actually getting those belongings. For cruises, we pack nothing sentimental or valuable but missing something "functional" is annoying (i.e. cruise-compliant multi-sixes). But I definitely see your point. 

Warmest Amy

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

My desire to travel independently in Europe is one reason I decided to change my packing style years ago. It's not only Italy train stations that are challenging. I still recall a very, very long escalator in a London tube station that was out of order when DH and I were arriving from Heathrow. We had two large suitcases, a garment bag and a carry-on to manage. If there was an elevator, we couldn't find it. Then we had to get 3-4 blocks to our hotel, in the rain. I vowed never again. That was in 1988.

The other reason I try to pack "reasonably" is that I came to resent the amount of time it took me to pack and unpack. I want to get right to enjoying my trip, not spend 2 hours in the cabin getting everything from bag to proper place in the cabin.

@cruisemom42 AMEN to that! As the chief packer, un-packer, then re-packer...if I don't do it, it just isn't done. I "allowed" my husband (an amazing father, husband a critical care nurse) to pack his and my son's bags for a three week trip they took to NY/CT to visit the grands. They were at Walmart within 2 days of landing 😂

Warmest Amy

• Haha 3

I think the focus for us is not the airport baggage fees it is the moving the luggage around.  I want one hand free always for balance and stability.  Hurrying through airports, onto trains, up a flight of steps can be accomplished with my current system.  Adding luggage would hinder movement. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I've done multiple 14-day cruises with just a carry-on and a briefcase, so I guess I fit in the "minimalist" category.  Exactly what I pack depends some on the itinerary and what the laundry situation is.  I'm immune to FOMO.  Not exactly crazy or needed or regretted, I did pack my friend on my last cruise:

IMG_20230412_0822102(1).thumb.jpg.8915173e3045511fa4a1d3081a7a4a62.jpg

@Honolulu Blue...I see we have similar tastes in friends 😄

0?ui=2&ik=81f096d00b&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1777467676655658883&th=18aad56f3acca783&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9R1RDOiDqP1WbwPp0WCnwQOYPdt97lNJMum1h2w-m83DpL4oxhRfpMb4RPOPzhO-9Q-J1Oa99cLeFbAbR6MZ-t1uUcdzFXGxeutewaGYj14QM6oW74JXCqXIE&disp=emb

• Like 1

We are somewhat contrarian in that we like to pack somewhat "heavy" so we have a nice selection of clean clothes.  On most trips, DW and I will have two large suitcases (each weighing close to 50 pounds) as well as two backpacks (we prefer them since it keeps our two hands free).  When possible, we try to have enough clothes to avoid or minimize needing to use a laundry.

One problem for us is that we tend to take longer cruises trips (two months is common) and our trips can involve differing climates.  A recent trip started in Lisbon (pretty hot) and eventually moved to Greenland (pretty cold).  Another recent trip started in Japan (warm to hot) and eventually took us to Alaska!  This means having lots of layers so we can handle the cold along with the hot.

Hank

• Like 3

On 9/18/2023 at 3:27 AM, amygutman said:

@laudergayle the gum wall is on our list to see, but I can tell you, that I am physically nauseous. Just thinking about it!!! 🤣 

Can’t wait to hear about your trip to Vancouver, I’ve heard it’s a beautiful town to visit pre-cruise. 
Warmest Amy

We stumbled across the gum wall by accident and didn't know quite what to think. It IS kind of

nausea inducing. LOL

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are somewhat contrarian in that we like to pack somewhat "heavy" so we have a nice selection of clean clothes.  On most trips, DW and I will have two large suitcases (each weighing close to 50 pounds) as well as two backpacks (we prefer them since it keeps our two hands free).  When possible, we try to have enough clothes to avoid or minimize needing to use a laundry.

One problem for us is that we tend to take longer cruises trips (two months is common) and our trips can involve differing climates.  A recent trip started in Lisbon (pretty hot) and eventually moved to Greenland (pretty cold).  Another recent trip started in Japan (warm to hot) and eventually took us to Alaska!  This means having lots of layers so we can handle the cold along with the hot.

Hank

@Hlitner can I just say that you are living my dream life? Two months on a cruise ship exploring the world just sounds like heaven no matter how little or how much you pack. 

Warmest Amy

• Like 1

I don't normally buy things just for a cruise.  I pack what I have in the closet.  I will ask Mrs Ldubs for advice on how many of some items to bring.  Other than that, I don't spend time planning or worrying about it.   I pack until the suitcase is full or I have reached the weight limit.  

We leave this coming Monday for a 12 day trip to Northern Italy.  I will have one 25" checked bag and one small under seat bag.  Mrs Ldubs is already packed.  I'm trying to put it off as long as I can, but I can feel the pressure is mounting. I expect I might make it to Friday, Saturday if I'm lucky.   

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

I don't normally buy things just for a cruise.  I pack what I have in the closet.  I will ask Mrs Ldubs for advice on how many of some items to bring.  Other than that, I don't spend time planning or worrying about it.   I pack until the suitcase is full or I have reached the weight limit.  

We leave this coming Monday for a 12 day trip to Northern Italy.  I will have one 25" checked bag and one small under seat bag.  Mrs Ldubs is already packed.  I'm trying to put it off as long as I can, but I can feel the pressure is mounting. I expect I might make it to Friday, Saturday if I'm lucky.   

Enjoy your trip.I have never been to Italy but worked for a company 25 years where 90% of the employees were born in Italy .Over the 25 years I heard so many stories and saw so many photographs that it was almost like being there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'd call my packing style "Highly Organized".  

- I have a template on my computer that lists what we need for a one-week cruise (no need to recreate the wheel).  I adjust it up or down for our particular cruise, then print it. 

- Having a list keeps me from over-packing.  

- I limit shoes, as they're the biggest space hogs in a suitcase.  Tennis shoes, sandals, dressy shoes -- possibly water shoes, depending upon our plans.  

- Add specifics needed for excursions or specific plans.  

- I pack 3 bags:  a tote bag for our night-before hotel (which my husband and I share, then leave in the car), a backpack for my carry-on, which doubles as an island stop bag, and one small suitcase (which my husband and I share).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 7:59 AM, amygutman said:

@cruisemom42 AMEN to that! As the chief packer, un-packer, then re-packer...if I don't do it, it just isn't done. I "allowed" my husband (an amazing father, husband a critical care nurse) to pack his and my son's bags for a three week trip they took to NY/CT to visit the grands. They were at Walmart within 2 days of landing 😂

Warmest Amy

When our kids were in their teens (and experienced cruisers) I got fed up with always being responsible for everyone's smallest detail.  I gave them a speech that included the words, "If YOU don't have what you need on the ship that will be because YOU did not pack it and that will be YOUR fault, not mine."  The daughters did fine.  One son packed everything but the kitchen sink and the other son grabbed 5 plain white undershirts and insisted that he was packed.  He was lucky that he wore the same size as his over-packing brother, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My packing style depends on the trip location and planned activities but starts with a philosophy of  "less is more." I have no moral objection to checking bags but prefer not to unless absolutely necessary. If I need it I will bring it but I have to be certain that I will need it. 

My desire to carry-on only increases if I'm taking connecting flights and will be contending with stairs or cobblestone streets on arrival. I am more likely to check if planning social events or activities that require special clothing or equipment or I will be in differing climates. One size does not fit all people or all trips. 

• Like 4

I remember reading about someone who would pick up inexpensive clothing at thrift shops and garage sales prior to a trip and then just leave them in hotel rooms as they traveled.  This had the added benefit of making lots of room in their luggage for souvenir shopping. 

I'm one of those people who has a dedicated mix and match color coded travel wardrobe as well as an outfit that I always wear on flights.  We were looking at old travel pictures the other night and I'm always wearing the same clothes on any trip.  Makes it hard to peg when the picture was taken, lol!

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

After insanely overpacking on my second cruise, I now prefer 1 carry-on and a large backpack.  If I need to pack more I’d do a medium sized check-in and a large backpack.  So two pieces of luggage max.  I leave room in my backpack for my crossbody.  The reason I no longer overpack?  I do not want to be a burden to my travel companions.  I don’t have the physique to take care of more than one rolling case on my own.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2023 at 2:50 PM, Travelling2Some said:

I remember reading about someone who would pick up inexpensive clothing at thrift shops and garage sales prior to a trip and then just leave them in hotel rooms as they traveled.  This had the added benefit of making lots of room in their luggage for souvenir shopping. 

I can't imagine doing that, but I'm fussy about my clothes. I'd rather have fewer at a higher price point than more that are cheap. It's not unusual for me to keep clothes for many years. Plus, I want to look nice when I'm traveling.

I've reached the point, after downsizing from house to condo, where souvenir shopping is rare.

• Like 4

On 9/23/2023 at 11:50 AM, Travelling2Some said:

I'm one of those people who has a dedicated mix and match color coded travel wardrobe as well as an outfit that I always wear on flights.  We were looking at old travel pictures the other night and I'm always wearing the same clothes on any trip.  Makes it hard to peg when the picture was taken, lol!

I have a similar tactic. I buy new clothes and after two wearings,  I leave them. I'll end up purchasing a whole new wardrobe by the end of the trip ..... curse of cruising is clothes seem to shrink.😲

Edited by c-boy

I'm somewhere in between, but probably lean more towards minimalism. DH and I each bring one 25" checked suitcase and backpacks as carry-ons. We both like to have 'extra' clothes and shoes options but we limit ourselves to just that amount of bag space. We used to bring bigger suitcases but several years ago DH declared he was never lifting those things into the trunk again 🤣 so now we make 25" work no matter what kind of trip it is. I don't mind doing laundry on vacation.

I have a United credit card so we get free checked bags. I HATE bringing carry-on only and having to lug it around the airport, over my head, etc. Actually I'm secretly judging all the people in the plane in front of me when I have to wait for them to get their bags down, LMAO.

I've occasionally had to do carry-on only when changing airlines at a connecting airport because I wouldn't have had enough time to claim bags and then re-check them...but I avoid it as much as possible!

• Like 1

I'm going to be packing for the first time for a 17 cruise on HAL.  My wife used to do all of the packing but now i'm on my won and have to figure it out.  One thing I heard someone talk about on the HAL board is that their onboard laundry is very good, so they pack about 4 days worth of clothes and purchase the unlimited laundry package.  If I were to do something similar I think I could get by without checking luggage.  The savings on not checking bags, and not having to tip porters, would reduce the effective cost of the unlimited laundry.

When it comes to clothes I'm a simple guy.  I wear polo shirts, so I'm thinking 4 or 5.  I wear lounging pants during the day and Dockers in the evening, so I'm thinking 2 of each  I only need 1 pair of shoes and pool slippers.  Socks and underwear complete my ensemble.  I'll have to check the temp in Honolulu in Jan. because I'll be going on an excursion there.  So I may or may not need to bring a jacket.  Then all I need is some over the counter things, charging cords and hub, kindle, and Chromebook, which can probably easily fit in my personal item.

Am I being overly ambitious?  With the unlimited laundry I can literally send out laundry every day.  Not having to check bags at the airport, and being able to walk my bags on and off the ship would really simplify things.

53 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I'm going to be packing for the first time for a 17 cruise on HAL.  My wife used to do all of the packing but now i'm on my own and have to figure it out.  One thing I heard someone talk about on the HAL board is that their onboard laundry is very good, so they pack about 4 days worth of clothes and purchase the unlimited laundry package.  If I were to do something similar I think I could get by without checking luggage.  The savings on not checking bags, and not having to tip porters, would reduce the effective cost of the unlimited laundry.

Am I being overly ambitious?  With the unlimited laundry I can literally send out laundry every day.  Not having to check bags at the airport, and being able to walk my bags on and off the ship would really simplify things.

You are not overly ambitious at all! We have travelled (land and sea) with carryon only and NOT unlimited laundry! Remember to get everything possible washed something like 2 days before the end of the cruise, having confirmed last send-out possible. 

We do plan to re-wear clothing, though, if not dirty or sweaty. I used to wash everything in the sink, until I was convinced of HAL's superior laundry. They will even air-dry clothing (takes an extra day). But now that we have achieved HAL unlimited, I am looking at even smaller "under-seat" bags (16" tall!). 

FWIW, my system is two tops for each pant (or leggings for me). So seven tops and three bottoms, plus what we are wearing. Always a jacket of some sort, sometimes a cardigan and a jacket. The jacket might be a windbreaker, raincoat, or leather jacket, depending on the itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

You are not overly ambitious at all! We have travelled (land and sea) with carryon only and NOT unlimited laundry! Remember to get everything possible washed something like 2 days before the end of the cruise, having confirmed last send-out possible. 

We do plan to re-wear clothing, though, if not dirty or sweaty. I used to wash everything in the sink, until I was convinced of HAL's superior laundry. They will even air-dry clothing (takes an extra day). But now that we have achieved HAL unlimited, I am looking at even smaller "under-seat" bags (16" tall!). 

FWIW, my system is two tops for each pant (or leggings for me). So seven tops and three bottoms, plus what we are wearing. Always a jacket of some sort, sometimes a cardigan and a jacket. The jacket might be a windbreaker, raincoat, or leather jacket, depending on the itinerary.

I think this is doable for warm climes and with the right wardrobe.  I have slowly migrated my wardrobe to those that can be rolled into a ball the size of my fist and still not wrinkle. 😉.  For wet, windy, cold climes I like my bulky sweaters.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

I forgot to mention possibly the best thing about carryon only and travelling light, is how easy it is to pack up at the end of the trip!

• Like 2