Cruise Packing: What's Your Style?

amygutman

8 hours ago, Fergus said:

We will ALWAYS cross pack in the future

As a solo traveler I don't have that safety measure, I just have to trust that my bag makes it.

3 hours ago, amygutman said:

There are a number of different android or Samsung phone based AirTag-type-devices on Amazon. Seems to be quite a few to choose from, but can’t speak as to the effectiveness of any.

I've gotten this far in life and travels without such devices and (knock on wood) not had an issue.

I traveled with my sister in 2019, she had a Tile in her checked bag.  We got to Philly after our red-eye flight from LA, her bag showed as there.  When we got home, her bag showed as being elsewhere (possibly Chicago?  I don't recall), I presume this was because the last person the tag 'pinged' off of was on our flight from LA to Philly then connecting to that other airport and landed before we did.  Until her bag got within range of a Tile user at our home airport there was some concern that it didn't get on the right plane.

• Like 1

I find myself in-between bringing every piece of luggage I own and liberation by traveling with a backpack.

1 suitcase for me. Whatever the weight limit is on the airline. I still tend to have a few shirts that go unused. 

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 2

I sail solo and pack the same way for every cruise. One 25" checked bag and one carry on. I just returned from a 12 night cruise with 3 extra nights.......one pre-cruise and was supposed to be 1 extra post but due to flight cancellations,😮 I had to stay at JFK for 2 nights rather than 1. I was able to use my carry on for what I needed for pre and post cruise stops. (those cancellations were like something from a bad/mad movie😮).

But as for my clothing for the trips? I just seem to always do what I need to do, no matter how long the cruise is, I have never exceeded the weight limit and thankfully never had any luggage lost.

• Like 2

We have the advantage of not having an air leg in our cruise planning [QM2 sailing from Brooklyn] so we end up modestly overpacking. We bring clothing for about 10 days, and plan on laundry room visits.

All clothing & luggage is stowed away in about half an hour after we [or our checked bags] arrive in the room [usually the bags are waiting for us]

• Like 1

Many years ago I worked with a guy who did not pack anything for cruises.

He only cruised in the summer and when he arrived at the first port stop he bought clothes for the entire cruise.He disposed of the clothing at the last port with the exception of what he needed for the last sea days .

• Haha 1

I have and can pack in a 21" carry on size plus a decent sized 'personal' item--the kind that would fit under the seat, but usually, since we tend to do longer trips, we each take one 24" plus our personal item for the plane.  If I know I will also be schlepping luggage on trains or buses or many different flights I try to do the carry-on just for ease in lugging it around.

We spent almost six weeks in Australia and New Zealand last year which involved two cruises and about 10 days of land travel with the above, and packing for extreme heat in the Outback and cold weather in the Fiords.   I didmind doing laundry on the first ship (Princess) and did a load twice in hotels.

For me, what the OP is posting is way too much, but we each have our own travel styles and needs and that is ok.  For this trip it was the misc. 'what ifs' that took up the most room.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fergus said:

We learned our lesson the hard way on our last cruise.  Flew from US to London, had transfers to Dover to get on our cruise ship.  Our luggage did not arrive in London from JFK.  We each had a carryon with a change of underwear and shirt, meds, etc. with us. Got on the ship, asked customer service for help.  Nada, nope, nothing (we had booked our flights through the cruiseline.)  My husband did all the tracking down, finally found a kind soul who found and shipped our luggage to our first stop.  We got on our excursion that day and it coincidentally went right by the airport.  The driver let my husband off, he picked up the luggage, and taxied back to the port.  We will ALWAYS cross pack in the future, and we will probably purchase either tiles or air tags or something.  That was a miserable experience.

Regarding the air tags, this is quite a story (happy ending!):

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airtag-lost-luggage-flight/index.html

Short version, luggage "lost" at O'Hare connection.  Airline wouldn't search for it.  Passenger could see it "move" slightly (to baggage storage?).  Finally flew to O'Hare, went to baggage storage, retrieved luggage.

Yup, air tags for us from now on!

😉

GC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, brer111 said:

first off Amy - Happy New Year to you and your family!

One thing we learned years ago on any trip when flying is to pack both suitcases with half of my clothes and half of my husbands. This way if one bag gets lost we both have some clothing and under garments. Better safe than sorry!  I am also wondering about AirTags for our bags. Have thought of buying some for our trip next month which is international. We are Android phone users too. Any suggestions and info? TIA

We have Samsung Smart Tags....they work/worked well for us.

• Like 1

Since my Alaska cruise this past April/May was going to be easy, transportation-wise, I decided to do what I see many on here do and packed a big bag to be checked and my one backpack.  Usually I travel multi-mode (trains, busses, airplanes) so I go with a carryon-size bag and a backpack for a month.  This time it was just car - plane - hotel - ship - plane - car so no problems.  I still kept the big bag to 35 lbs.   I ended up wearing maybe half the clothes.  I could have gone for 6 months!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, hallux said:

As a solo traveler I don't have that safety measure, I just have to trust that my bag makes it.

I've gotten this far in life and travels without such devices and (knock on wood) not had an issue.

I traveled with my sister in 2019, she had a Tile in her checked bag.  We got to Philly after our red-eye flight from LA, her bag showed as there.  When we got home, her bag showed as being elsewhere (possibly Chicago?  I don't recall), I presume this was because the last person the tag 'pinged' off of was on our flight from LA to Philly then connecting to that other airport and landed before we did.  Until her bag got within range of a Tile user at our home airport there was some concern that it didn't get on the right plane.

8 hours ago, hallux said:

Until her bag got within range of a Tile user ...

For now, this is the near-infinite advantage of Apple Air Tags over the non-Apple alternatives.  

Until Google add it to the Android operating system (it's possible there will be an announcement next month) an Air Tag only has to get withing range of any iPhone to report-in.  A Tile (or any other similar tag) has to get within range of a phone running the app that matches the tag manufacturer.  The probability of that is much, much, much smaller.

If you have an Android phone, have you got an iPad?  That's all you need to track an Air Tag.  Or perhaps some you trust back home with an iPad or iPhone that could add it to their account? 

Otherwise, wait for the Google announcement.

• Like 1

I pack with the notion I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I don't want to spend money on things I already have. I also don't wear the same thing twice in a week for work and I won't do it on vacation ( with the exception of swim suit). I could personally never do the capsule type packing (sticking to mix & match pieces in a 2 color pallet) nope not me. I take a large suitcase with some DH things mixed in, plus a medium suit case. Then I carry on small under the seat tote so I have something to wear to dinner first night. 

Never regretted it yet. I take shorts & tops for each day, dresses for each night and 2 formal gowns. 2-3 pr of heels 

& a couple pair flip flops. I usually wear it all😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It depends on how much pre or post travel I plan.  If it is a simple arrival by single flight onto ship I carry whatever I want.  I did ditch the 28 luggage and when I do check it is a 26 inch case.  My two carryons are a backpack (personal item) and a handheld. Truly most everything I need will fit into those two carryons but if I want the extras they go into the 26 inch. If I have all three one is on my back (or front if an insecure area) and I pull the 26 inch with the handheld draped across the top.  The bonus to checked bags is I can carry the liquids I want instead of relying on ship toiletries - I cruise for 3 weeks at a time minimum and I like my small comforts 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

... The bonus to checked bags is I can carry the liquids I want instead of relying on ship toiletries - I cruise for 3 weeks at a time minimum and I like my small comforts 

I totally forgot to mention this advantage of having at least one checked bag.

In our case, DH developed some very serious allergies, so we need to take "his" toiletries, from soap to shampoo, etc.  We can "carry on" the soap, but once at Security, my carry-on suitcase was searched and searched until they found "the culprit":  a bar of his special soap.  That now goes on the top, although it never again triggered a detailed search for possible contraband.

And as long as we are bringing a small (but more than 3 oz) container of his shampoo, might as well bring my favorite products, too.

And then, once one is checking a bag, why not add a few more things, right? 😡

And then... it isn't a small bag anymore.  We prefer doing this anyway.

GC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

If you have an Android phone, have you got an iPad?

I'm all Android, but don't really see much need for a tracking device.  Sure, it's nice that we CAN, but what does it REALLY gain me?  ok - my bag is in Chicago but I'm in Miami, I'm not going to Chicago to retrieve it.  The airline will have it and can return it, I'm not getting it any faster by knowing what airport it might have gone to...

• Like 2

Just now, hallux said:

I'm all Android, but don't really see much need for a tracking device.  Sure, it's nice that we CAN, but what does it REALLY gain me?  ok - my bag is in Chicago but I'm in Miami, I'm not going to Chicago to retrieve it.  The airline will have it and can return it, I'm not getting it any faster by knowing what airport it might have gone to...

I question the usefulness of AirTags also.  So I know where it is that doesn’t mean it is going to get to me.  To appease my travel companions I have one but it is totally unnecessary 

• Like 1

I keep my things neat and organized.  My (very dear) husband is among those who can never seem to find anything, either at home or abroad.  I would never want his stuff in my suitcase because I don't want him turning it inside out every 10 minutes, lol.  Luckily this is a moot point since we almost never check bags so there is zero chance of loosing the luggage.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

The only time we had a real problem with a couple of large bags was in Italy.  We travel by train there sometimes, and one of our stops was at a very little town.  To get from the platforms to the station required descending a very deep staircase.  And the elevator up at the station end of that tunnel was... broken.  Ugh.  That wasn't pleasant.

We got really spoiled during a trip to Japan.  They have luggage transport systems such that if you have your bag ready by something like 5? pm, the service will pick it up, and by afternoon/evening next day, the luggage appears at your next hotel.  It worked like a charm every time.

I think of the wonderful luggage forwarding services in Japan whenever I see a young Japanese woman struggling with her truly massive suitcase on a European train.  My husband used to always come to the rescue but it's too risky with his back these days.  It makes me wonder if she did not know there are not similar same-day forwarding services in other countries.  I also suspect the the gigantic single suitcase was purchased because the forwarding services in Japan charge by the piece, not by size or weight.

The worst struggles I've seen in Italy were people trying to deal with the constant steps, bridges and narrow cobblestone walkways in Venice.  And, yes, agree that Italian train stations seem especially full of staircases and broken elevators.  Definitely not a good place for overpacking.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

The worst struggles I've seen in Italy were people trying to deal with the constant steps, bridges and narrow cobblestone walkways in Venice.  And, yes, agree that Italian train stations seem especially full of staircases and broken elevators.  Definitely not a good place for overpacking.

My desire to travel independently in Europe is one reason I decided to change my packing style years ago. It's not only Italy train stations that are challenging. I still recall a very, very long escalator in a London tube station that was out of order when DH and I were arriving from Heathrow. We had two large suitcases, a garment bag and a carry-on to manage. If there was an elevator, we couldn't find it. Then we had to get 3-4 blocks to our hotel, in the rain. I vowed never again. That was in 1988.

The other reason I try to pack "reasonably" is that I came to resent the amount of time it took me to pack and unpack. I want to get right to enjoying my trip, not spend 2 hours in the cabin getting everything from bag to proper place in the cabin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2023 at 6:53 PM, amygutman said:

Are you a "maximalist" or "minimalist"? ... Do you have FOMO? (Fear Of Missing Out) if you don't pack particular items? What about the craziest thing you packed that you needed or regretted?

Minimalist. Now that we are 4* on HAL which means free laundry, I have just ordered 16" underseat bags in case we have to fly somewhere (Europe looking at you) where cabin luggage is THAT restricted.

Have no FOMO.

The craziest things I ever regretted coincide with the two times I have ever checked luggage on the way to a cruise. (1) Packed a fourth carry-on-sized suitcase for our cruise for three, around the SA Cape in 2014, filled with down vests and other warm clothing we never needed. Could literally have left that bag at home. As we were checking one, we checked them all...my husband's carry-on did not come off the plane on the way home.

(2) I checked a 24" bag instead of my usual 21" two-wheel carry-on for a 14-day Alaska cruise in 2018 where I took on the role of Cruise Mom of nine adults. I packed two 3-legged stools for my mom and step-mom who both have COPD, for walking excursions. Neither used them! And then I couldn't fit them back it the bag! Left for the stewards to deal with. Also REPACKING the larger suitcase seemed to take A LOT longer!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Luckily this is a moot point since we almost never check bags so there is zero chance of loosing the luggage.

I still cross-pack because there is always a possibility of being separated from one or both carry-ons on the gangway or plane if not enough room. Maybe with the 16" underseat bags that will not be so critical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

I still cross-pack because there is always a possibility of being separated from one or both carry-ons on the gangway or plane if not enough room. Maybe with the 16" underseat bags that will not be so critical.

True.  It has happened a couple of times and it makes you nervous to get gate checked when all you have is that carry-on.  I do put anything I can't afford to loose in my personal item and I also stuff one of those neck pillows with clothes.  I can get most of my underwear, 2 pair of leggings and an extra shirt in  that thing and it doesn't count as luggage.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 8:53 PM, amygutman said:

I am curious: Are you a "maximalist" or "minimalist"? Does it depend on the itinerary / ship / airline vs driving? As kiddo says, Do you have FOMO? (Fear Of Missing Out) if you don't pack particular items? What about the craziest thing you packed that you needed or regretted?

I've done multiple 14-day cruises with just a carry-on and a briefcase, so I guess I fit in the "minimalist" category.  Exactly what I pack depends some on the itinerary and what the laundry situation is.  I'm immune to FOMO.  Not exactly crazy or needed or regretted, I did pack my friend on my last cruise:

IMG_20230412_0822102(1).thumb.jpg.8915173e3045511fa4a1d3081a7a4a62.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

I sail solo and pack the same way for every cruise. One 25" checked bag and one carry on. I just returned from a 12 night cruise with 3 extra nights.......one pre-cruise and was supposed to be 1 extra post but due to flight cancellations,😮 I had to stay at JFK for 2 nights rather than 1. I was able to use my carry on for what I needed for pre and post cruise stops. (those cancellations were like something from a bad/mad movie😮).

But as for my clothing for the trips? I just seem to always do what I need to do, no matter how long the cruise is, I have never exceeded the weight limit and thankfully never had any luggage lost.

@Lois R "Two Nights At JFK" DEFINITELY sounds like a horror film! 😒

Warmest Amy