Live - Sept. 26th Crown Princess 4 Night Alaska end of season

happychippy

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thank you for taking the time out of your cruise to do a live from! Please think about posting a review boards when you come back. Enjoy the rest of your sailing!"

happychippy was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 10 points.

Short one way Alaska Sampler on the Crown Princess.   Embarking September 26th in Vancouver, stop in Ketchikan, and disembark in Seattle.  Last Crown Alaska cruise for the season.  Airfare was very reasonable so I checked with sister and she is onboard for a short adventure. Both of us are in our 40’s from Ohio.   I have cruised Princess before on the Grand Princess Seattle Roundtrip to Alaska, loved it!  This is sister’s first time on Princess as well as first visit to Ketchikan and Seattle. She's hoping to get some insight to book a longer land+cruise package in next couple of years. We booked the cruise in April for the Sept. sailing.  Great low rate since it’s a one way.  Love Princess option to include the Flights when booking and being able to select the flights I wanted, as well as allowing the flights to be paid as we go up to 30 days before departure.  

Our plans in Ketchikan is a Photography Tour in the morning, then visit downtown in the afternoon. 60% chance of rain for everyday of this trip 😕 

In Seattle we have Red Eye flights so plan on setting base at a hotel in Seattle to leave our personal items and explore Seattle.

90 days before departure I ordered custom Medallion Keycard that I read that it will be about 2 weeks before sailing. You can get a necklace, bracelet, watch etc. all for very low reasonable prices for a nice personalized souvenir.   I elected for a watch with an ocean theme design so we will see.  Reminds me of the customizable Disney magic bands.  I also read that you can search Amazon for Princess Medallion holder and find some other “Air Tag” options.  2 weeks before, I received the email notification that the Medallions are being shipped out.  Received about 11 days before sailing.  Love the box they came in, wristbands that we ordered, and the lanyards were under the wristbands. Images shared below.

Embarkation process appears to be a more tech friendly process without needing to select an arrival time. I did download the APP so I could make dinner reservations and review excursion options.  I found the app very easy to navigate and very user friendly. 68 days in advance we was able to make Main Dining room dinner reservation in advance on the app.  I was able to complete my online check in profile so I have a “Green Lane” on my profile. I will still print off my cruise documents and luggage tags.

Our original booking was for a balcony cabin GTY, about 30 days before we received cabin assignment on the Aloha Deck towards the aft near the elevator. I did not receive any notification, just reviewed cruise documents and saw the cabin number finally assigned.  70 days before departure, I received a “Bid to Upgrade” email.  You will be offered different higher category staterooms with a suggested bid.  You select the category you want, and then you can adjust the Bid lower or higher.  Enter your credit card details and accept the terms that you will be billed per person this price you bid if it is accepted.   Approval may not be done until 48 hours before boarding.      I selected the Club Mini Suite upgrade at $150 pp more for a total of $300 more.  Suggested bid for this Club Mini Suite was $180 pp.     This Bid option is nice, but also comes with a risk that you do not know in advance if you are confirmed, and you do not know your room location.  Club Mini Suites on the dolphin deck are fully open, no overhead for rain coverage, and balcony above can look directly down into your balcony. It is now a sold out sailing with no cabins, so I'm confident our current Balcony assignment will stay.  

7 Days from sailing our Princess App started showing Activities under the JourneyView and you could bookmark activities you wanted to attend.

We have the Princess Plus Package, which I originally added to have the Tips, drinks, and Wifi included.  Not big drinkers just like the “All Inclusive” worry-free of how much is this, and not having to budget.  Just relax and enjoy the short vacation.

If you're like me, you enjoy the cruise countdown by living through the Live Reviews. 🙂 

medallion arrival.jpg

Medallion II.jpg

• Like 10

We'll be on this cruise also.  We live in Victoria so short hop to Vancouver to start and another short hop to come back from Seattle.  We spent 28 days on the Crown in April/May looking forward to seeing if some of the staff are still onboard.

Karen and Kevin

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:12 AM, happychippy said:

Short one way Alaska Sampler on the Crown Princess.   Embarking September 26th in Vancouver, stop in Ketchikan, and disembark in Seattle.  Last Crown Alaska cruise for the season.  Airfare was very reasonable so I checked with sister and she is onboard for a short adventure. Both of us are in our 40’s from Ohio.   I have cruised Princess before on the Grand Princess Seattle Roundtrip to Alaska, loved it!  This is sister’s first time on Princess as well as first visit to Ketchikan and Seattle. She's hoping to get some insight to book a longer land+cruise package in next couple of years. We booked the cruise in April for the Sept. sailing.  Great low rate since it’s a one way.  Love Princess option to include the Flights when booking and being able to select the flights I wanted, as well as allowing the flights to be paid as we go up to 30 days before departure.  

Our plans in Ketchikan is a Photography Tour in the morning, then visit downtown in the afternoon. 60% chance of rain for everyday of this trip 😕 

In Seattle we have Red Eye flights so plan on setting base at a hotel in Seattle to leave our personal items and explore Seattle.

90 days before departure I ordered custom Medallion Keycard that I read that it will be about 2 weeks before sailing. You can get a necklace, bracelet, watch etc. all for very low reasonable prices for a nice personalized souvenir.   I elected for a watch with an ocean theme design so we will see.  Reminds me of the customizable Disney magic bands.  I also read that you can search Amazon for Princess Medallion holder and find some other “Air Tag” options.  2 weeks before, I received the email notification that the Medallions are being shipped out.  Received about 11 days before sailing.  Love the box they came in, wristbands that we ordered, and the lanyards were under the wristbands. Images shared below.

Embarkation process appears to be a more tech friendly process without needing to select an arrival time. I did download the APP so I could make dinner reservations and review excursion options.  I found the app very easy to navigate and very user friendly. 68 days in advance we was able to make Main Dining room dinner reservation in advance on the app.  I was able to complete my online check in profile so I have a “Green Lane” on my profile. I will still print off my cruise documents and luggage tags.

Our original booking was for a balcony cabin GTY, about 30 days before we received cabin assignment on the Aloha Deck towards the aft near the elevator. I did not receive any notification, just reviewed cruise documents and saw the cabin number finally assigned.  70 days before departure, I received a “Bid to Upgrade” email.  You will be offered different higher category staterooms with a suggested bid.  You select the category you want, and then you can adjust the Bid lower or higher.  Enter your credit card details and accept the terms that you will be billed per person this price you bid if it is accepted.   Approval may not be done until 48 hours before boarding.      I selected the Club Mini Suite upgrade at $150 pp more for a total of $300 more.  Suggested bid for this Club Mini Suite was $180 pp.     This Bid option is nice, but also comes with a risk that you do not know in advance if you are confirmed, and you do not know your room location.  Club Mini Suites on the dolphin deck are fully open, no overhead for rain coverage, and balcony above can look directly down into your balcony. It is now a sold out sailing with no cabins, so I'm confident our current Balcony assignment will stay.  

7 Days from sailing our Princess App started showing Activities under the JourneyView and you could bookmark activities you wanted to attend.

We have the Princess Plus Package, which I originally added to have the Tips, drinks, and Wifi included.  Not big drinkers just like the “All Inclusive” worry-free of how much is this, and not having to budget.  Just relax and enjoy the short vacation.

If you're like me, you enjoy the cruise countdown by living through the Live Reviews. 🙂 

medallion arrival.jpg

Medallion II.jpg

I gotta say I enjoy your posing style and enjoy the Alaska  cruising adventure.

• Like 2

The Princess EZ air with transfers included was great. In Vancouver when you get off flight you’ll go down to baggage claim, and head towards the Exit area. Once you walk out those doors you will see Princess Reps with signs and they will ask if you want to leave your bags with them or carry them on the ship.  So thankful that we left our bags with them.  It was a larger motor coach bus and it was about an hour ride to the port.   Embarkation process sadly was disappointing.  Compared to recent cruises on Royal, Norwegian, and Disney I had high expectation with the new Medallions. But, the embarkation process was super cluttered, unorganized and back and forth.   Once on board we did get to The Sanctuary and we was able to reserve our loungers for the week so we will focus on that positivity.  Photos of The Sanctuary below 

BF18CB5F-48E1-4163-8FAB-67105C0307C9.jpeg

CA3A3EB1-0A00-4D9E-82E6-E15574E8DED2.jpeg

B67555BB-5096-4923-9FFF-C1229FEBAFA9.jpeg

783558AC-D184-4C66-850C-5B744A555CBC.jpeg

38C35549-8D48-42A9-B382-D4CFB94ED092.jpeg

610250B4-A3ED-4E87-9949-998A86FF3575.jpeg

57CDCE9F-ED7C-44DE-890D-3DBA1960EBFA.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, memoak said:

This was super easy embarkation if you had your medallion we we through check in and customs in 1/2 hour and in Reserve class lunch at 12 noon

So jealous, we had our medallion and it took almost 2 hours.  Arriving before 12noon local time 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, happychippy said:

So jealous, we had our medallion and it took almost 2 hours.  Arriving before 12noon local time 

Unfortunately, Canada Place is not the most user friendly terminal.  For those not familiar with it, it is an up and down parade.  If the coach had your luggage, you should have been able to skip the bottom level.  I read somewhere that when Canada Place was built, it only had 2 small ships at a time.  Were there more than the Crown in Town?

Have a fabulous short cruise in your sanctuary.

12 minutes ago, happychippy said:

Was there an issue at customs ?  We got to Canada Place from the Pan Pacific at 11:15 and were on board before noon. There were few lines and customs was a snap 

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Unfortunately, Canada Place is not the most user friendly terminal.  For those not familiar with it, it is an up and down parade.  If the coach had your luggage, you should have been able to skip the bottom level.  I read somewhere that when Canada Place was built, it only had 2 small ships at a time.  Were there more than the Crown in Town?

Have a fabulous short cruise in your sanctuary.

The Majestic is here as well but they separated out passengers from the 2 shops for check in

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, happychippy said:

Please don't blame Princess for your embarkation experience. Cruise port employees are in control until you step off the gangway, and onto the ship.

Same thing applies in reverse when you return.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, happychippy said:

The Princess EZ air with transfers included was great. In Vancouver when you get off flight you’ll go down to baggage claim, and head towards the Exit area. Once you walk out those doors you will see Princess Reps with signs and they will ask if you want to leave your bags with them or carry them on the ship.  So thankful that we left our bags with them.  It was a larger motor coach bus and it was about an hour ride to the port.   Embarkation process sadly was disappointing.  Compared to recent cruises on Royal, Norwegian, and Disney I had high expectation with the new Medallions. But, the embarkation process was super cluttered, unorganized and back and forth.   Once on board we did get to The Sanctuary and we was able to reserve our loungers for the week so we will focus on that positivity.  Photos of The Sanctuary below 

BF18CB5F-48E1-4163-8FAB-67105C0307C9.jpeg

CA3A3EB1-0A00-4D9E-82E6-E15574E8DED2.jpeg

B67555BB-5096-4923-9FFF-C1229FEBAFA9.jpeg

783558AC-D184-4C66-850C-5B744A555CBC.jpeg

38C35549-8D48-42A9-B382-D4CFB94ED092.jpeg

610250B4-A3ED-4E87-9949-998A86FF3575.jpeg

57CDCE9F-ED7C-44DE-890D-3DBA1960EBFA.jpeg

I hope you have better weather than we just had on Royal - I can't even imagine using The Sanctuary with the winds and waves we got. As someone that sails in and out of Vancouver frequently (and also worked many years at the port) I can tell you that the chaos/lines/frustration is 100% normal but is completely out of control of the cruiseline until you are through immigration. None of the port staff work for the cruiseline (when I worked there originally, I was employed by Princess but now it is all contracted out) and the US CBP officers dictate when they open to passenger and how many officers will be on duty. As someone else mentioned, Canada Place was NOT designed to handle the size or number of ships it currently has on a regular basis. Our second port closed to passengers a few years back and Canada Place really struggles is more than two ships are in!

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Muster Drill was a very easy process. Had to watch short 5 minute safety video either on phone App or on TV in your room.  Then went to assigned Muster Drill station to scan Medallion. 

Weather so far has been great, a little gray and light rain sometimes but temperatures and light breeze is perfect for both of us.  Sister and I both love colder temperatures so coldest room setting on thermostat and leaving balcony open while we are in the room.   The balcony room we have on Aloha deck is perfect.   Day 1 we both ended up calling it a day at about 9pm ship time since to us from East Coast felt like 12am and our day started at 3am EST.  

Food wise from day 1 it was good, just one hiccup that on the Lido Deck there is a Coffee and Cones place that has a large menu with coffee choices, that location only serves basic coffees they do not have everything on that menu. Deck 5 Coffee Cafe has everything and that is great. Note, the word “blended Cappuccino” does not mean a Frappe type drink 😉. I made it work by asking for a cup of ice and making my iced coffee so no one waste this morning. 

Dinner in Botticelli main dining room was nice, staff was friendly and provided great service. I had a Chilled Pina Colada soup and fettuccini Alfredo. We did not stay for dessert but it looked delicious.  

00EAEC17-0B96-46C2-922C-B3060D5BAE83.jpeg

DAF61D64-3708-470F-A228-9922D665E571.jpeg

CFCB2E20-6A9D-45E8-8981-95674914F0CF.jpeg

806F1FB7-2F85-4436-8EDE-380A73F9E457.jpeg

D0AD0484-52DD-4F66-83D4-6FB12081CB33.jpeg

26385A28-6564-4F0C-8932-684595507039.jpeg

63386280-77C7-4CB9-9312-D8BA3D8171D2.jpeg

2502ABC2-AB09-4E55-86ED-4539D1BFF315.jpeg

012F05EF-3011-4D67-9405-44A18490516A.jpeg

E6DF0AD1-07BE-4086-BDBD-8717D42D127A.jpeg

F0B83497-D7ED-4D85-9113-812DFF39782F.jpeg

5FA6CFB9-E4CC-4A4D-A827-814B64A0C376.jpeg

625C0CAA-6DA6-4FE2-942E-CF51CA775BE8.jpeg

2DC8C3F5-2037-4AE8-9B3F-6C9DBEB2D9D4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, happychippy said:

Sister and I both love colder temperatures so coldest room setting on thermostat and leaving balcony open while we are in the room.

I hope both a/c running and open balcony door are not at the same time ...

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, happychippy said:

Muster Drill was a very easy process. Had to watch short 5 minute safety video either on phone App or on TV in your room.  Then went to assigned Muster Drill station to scan Medallion. 

Weather so far has been great, a little gray and light rain sometimes but temperatures and light breeze is perfect for both of us.  Sister and I both love colder temperatures so coldest room setting on thermostat and leaving balcony open while we are in the room.   The balcony room we have on Aloha deck is perfect.   Day 1 we both ended up calling it a day at about 9pm ship time since to us from East Coast felt like 12am and our day started at 3am EST.  

Food wise from day 1 it was good, just one hiccup that on the Lido Deck there is a Coffee and Cones place that has a large menu with coffee choices, that location only serves basic coffees they do not have everything on that menu. Deck 5 Coffee Cafe has everything and that is great. Note, the word “blended Cappuccino” does not mean a Frappe type drink 😉. I made it work by asking for a cup of ice and making my iced coffee so no one waste this morning. 

Dinner in Botticelli main dining room was nice, staff was friendly and provided great service. I had a Chilled Pina Colada soup and fettuccini Alfredo. We did not stay for dessert but it looked delicious.  

00EAEC17-0B96-46C2-922C-B3060D5BAE83.jpeg

DAF61D64-3708-470F-A228-9922D665E571.jpeg

CFCB2E20-6A9D-45E8-8981-95674914F0CF.jpeg

806F1FB7-2F85-4436-8EDE-380A73F9E457.jpeg

D0AD0484-52DD-4F66-83D4-6FB12081CB33.jpeg

26385A28-6564-4F0C-8932-684595507039.jpeg

63386280-77C7-4CB9-9312-D8BA3D8171D2.jpeg

2502ABC2-AB09-4E55-86ED-4539D1BFF315.jpeg

012F05EF-3011-4D67-9405-44A18490516A.jpeg

E6DF0AD1-07BE-4086-BDBD-8717D42D127A.jpeg

F0B83497-D7ED-4D85-9113-812DFF39782F.jpeg

5FA6CFB9-E4CC-4A4D-A827-814B64A0C376.jpeg

625C0CAA-6DA6-4FE2-942E-CF51CA775BE8.jpeg

2DC8C3F5-2037-4AE8-9B3F-6C9DBEB2D9D4.jpeg

Ramen in the MDR???

While I love a good ramen, this is on the of the cheapest meals to fill up on. Cost savings!

We used our binoculars on the balcony and saw Moose and a few whales this morning.  We are relaxing in The Sanctuary this morning. It’s perfect, sun is shining, temperatures are perfect, very quiet and worth the extra cost.  There is something so beautiful and Serine about the Alaska Cruise views that you cannot capture in photos. 

E7FCA12B-63E0-48E7-AF3A-18F68EEEEEFD.jpeg

D220B668-D5CC-4051-8711-F5A82FC351CC.jpeg

2FDB22C5-2E0C-48F2-B156-6F8F2C3A1C34.jpeg

766C02AF-E60A-4A1F-92A6-0D2D32C2EB8E.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Ramen in the MDR???

While I love a good ramen, this is on the of the cheapest meals to fill up on. Cost savings!

This was an extra item daily in the MDR when we were on the Crown in July. I enjoyed the option of something a little different.

• Like 3