The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 24th, 2023

richwmn

I finally had a decent sleep!  I think my brain is trying to process too much. I did next to nothing yesterday while DH worked all day on pulling together financial records files to email for new community’s review.  

Thank you all for the your good wishes. This is a decision we’ve been working towards since mid-2020. Early COVID time when we got home from 4 months in Houston for cancer treatment. That hurdle led us into more “handwriting on the wall” and our internal shift for a new chapter. The move to Maryland was interim until we could really figure out a long term plan. It was our choice to come here, scared as I was, we knew it would be great!  I’ll miss it here. As hard as it was to leave our NM community, this has been a great place! We’ve enjoyed only some of what we wanted to do here, so much to experience but COVID has kept us away from the more crowded places like some of the very popular Smithsonian museums. But there’s so much here it would take a lifetime. We’ve really enjoyed everything we’ve done here!  I’m sure we’ll enjoy our next chapter too. 

@cruzn single Mary Kay, I’m so sorry for your friend’s tragic loss. She’ll remember your support forever.  My suggestion for laying out your packing without a spare bed is to line up some chairs. I’m glad you’ll be on vacation soon!  It’s been a lot of change for you. BTW I lived in GJ for 6 yrs, first job right out of grad school. Also taught a couple of night classes at Mesa College too. Lots of “firsts” for me there:  first apartment, first house (on 30 Rd!) first marriage! First times fishing and hunting!  Can’t beat the CO mountains!  Lots of Grand memories!  

@kazu So sorry about your and José’s hydrangea. It’s another layer of loss which is the life pattern we are in now. So much to be grateful for doesn’t mean we don’t feel the losses. Get a good snuggle from Ivan!  

Terry, @smitty34877 gentle hugs. Prayers for you and the family. 

@ottahand7 hoping you can be comfortable for the game today. We’ll wave!  

@marshhawk congrats on the bonus Annie!  I’m sure we’ll discover lots in NJ. I’ve never lived there but I did grad school at Rutgers Newark branch and there was every kind of food!  Amazing fish n chips in Kearney, the Irish pub near the college fed us regularly with their 2-item menu: corned beef platter or the alternative for the night. The deli up the street was the place for take-out during the long lab nights. Ironbound had authentic Cubanos. I’d forgotten until you mentioned it!  

Thoughts about WiFi on NCL Joy:  we didn’t have a package which would have come with about 150 mins…. not as good as it sounds. We could have bought Wi-Fi for $30/da pre-cruise or $40/day onboard if you bought for the whole cruise. Too expensive to us. And apparently it was awful. We used a cellphone Global Travel plan at $5/day only the days we used it. Only useful in ports but each day was 24 hrs so we spread from one afternoon to the next afternoon. (DH got his eye pressures uploaded from his device often enough and because he stayed on all the meds the pressures stayed good so we weren’t worried to track daily). He set up hot spots a few times but it seemed too slow to get to the CC boards. NCL has CC as a free internet site all the time but it’s not useful, the boards just don’t load.  I’m impressed that people here manage to get photos uploaded. I think smaller ships have a better shot at that. Joy has 3800 pax +1700 crew. Too many people!  

Here’s a photo of our disembark morning arriving in NY. Was it only last Wednesday?

Blessings to all, each any every one of you and all the cares and needs of our hearts and the world!  Maureen IMG_1944.thumb.jpeg.946f1107f74b5c86be2517cf00e3758a.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

This was my lunch Bob at 12.15pm.

Filet-O-Fish and 🍟

Screenshot_20230924_143217.jpg

OMG!  That’s the same sandwich we are having for lunch today with a BOGO coupon!  I figure it’s cheaper to buy the fish at McDonalds than to try and catch it today!

• Like 11
  • Haha 11

Happy Sunday everyone! Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Another rainy and chilly day. Nothing like a bored dog who really wants to go outside. 

Relaxing day watching football. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Image result for sunday cat memes

• Like 29

The days are good- DH would say every day should celebrate hunting and fishing.

Would try the meal and the drinks.

The history days are important and interesting. 

We are having a rolly, foggy day at sea. Last night was wet and windy leaving NY for 2nd leg of the B2B.

20230924_085727.jpg

20230924_085624.jpg

20230924_070614.jpg

20230923_191235.jpg

20230923_191152.jpg

20230923_191220.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Happy Sunday everyone.  Thanks Rich and all who are so good about posting while most of us miss days. I am packed with nothing to do now. I leave seven days from today when I fly out to San Diego. It's like waiting for Christmas or your birthday when you were a kid. I get to do one more grocery shopping trip to make sure things are in the freezer for when I get home. I need to come up with a snack to take on the plane. I used to make a PB&J but hear that they will confiscate it because of the peanuts. I hope everyone has a good day. It just warmed up enough here that I had to close the windows as the AC came on. It should only get up to 90 today so a cooler fall day. 

• Like 28

Linda @lindaler I'm glad you are ready to go.  No last minute packing will ease the stress of travel some.  You are on the South Pacific cruise, correct?  I seem to know some relatives that will be on that cruise.  They also happen to be booked on two 42 day cruises next year that DH and I have booked.  Oh dear, this is not going to work out well.  We try to avoid them so that won't be easy for all that time.🙁

• Like 20
  • Haha 6

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We have a bunny rabbit that comes around our yard once in a while - it's always sweet to see him/her.  I love cherries jubilee, but don't remember the last time I had any; perhaps it was on a BHB. While I've never gone hunting, I've certainly been fishing and even though some of the outings have just been giving the fish their appetizers, it's always been enjoyable.  Fishing isn't always about catching something, it's often about the peace and serenity of being out on the quiet water, enjoying friendships. 

While we don't have rain in the forecast for the next 10 days, we do have an overcast and rather gloomy looking morning.  It's going to be typical fall weather with the morning starting around 8C (46) and we will likely reach a high of 23 (73) which is quite comfortable.

Yesterday morning I went out and bought a new comforter for our bed - a king size for our queen sized bed.  DH has suddenly turned into a blanket hog and I find myself clinging to an edge of it in the middle of the night.  I figure there should be lots for him with the extra size; last night I wasn't fighting for it, so I may have solved the issue.

@AncientWanderer I laughed out loud when I read that your DGD wouldn't let you tame her curls and it turned out to be photo day! 

@kazuI'm so sorry to hear about your hydrangea being ruined; I hope you might be able to take cuttings from it to root for future plants.

@marshhawk congrats on the extra sale - your telephone presence must be very sweet and convincing!

@smitty34877 I'm happy your neighbours are helping you through this difficult experience.

@Lady Hudsona good idea to get DH to his regular doctor when you return home.

@RMLincoln this is an exciting time for you - I'm so glad you found a place you feel will be comfortable for the two of you and close to your family as well.  

@StLouisCruisers be sure to bring an umbrella, sunscreen and lots of water if you're going to be able to watch the entire game today!

Not a lot on the agenda today, just some tidying up and DH will work on the computer, so it'll give me more time to work on blankets.  I've got another 8 finished and when I reach 12, I'll bring them over to the donation centre.  I'd like the drink of the day, am sure I'd like the wine, and would definitely like to try today's menu suggestion.  Because we went out with friends for dinner last night, the portions were huge, so we both have leftovers for tonight.  We'll be enjoying baked lasagna (me) and 4 cheese fettuccini (DH) on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  Went to bed at midnight, woke up this morning, and thought, well, if it's before 8 I'll try to sleep until 8.  It was 7:20, so I went back to sleep and woke up at 9:30!  How nice, and I could very well go back to sleep.  However, the F1 raced in the middle of the night, so I have to watch that now, make breakfast and then go work on the tree.  Donate more blood to the mosquitos out there.

It is 67 degrees, and I expect that since the sky is blue and cloudless it will remain sunny.  I talked DH into taking me out for BBQ tonight, and we can do the shopping tomorrow morning.  This way I can spend more time cutting clipping and being smothered in muscadine.

I have some leftover spinach souffle (stouffers) and i am going to blend it into the scrambled eggs this morning.  Will let you know how that turns out.

th?id=OIP.91loiH_BKc3Wr6pGXZyPewHaF4&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

funny-cat-comics-scott-metzger-cartoons-17-5b0eb19672aad__605.jpg?v=1534360939

8c131a2e70cb6237edb82e06a3c2da57.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 22

Good Morning to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I love rabbits but at one time we did try to raise them for........ enough said.  For some reason they would have their babies super early so we never had kittens.  Have done tons of hunting and fishing in my life - one of the found memories of my grandpa.  Love to have a freezer full of venison or clean some trout and cook it!!  Ok, now I am hungry!! 

I will pass on the jubilee (not a fan) and the drink but the phyllo pie and cabernet sounds delicious.  Great days in history!!  

I actually slept in today until 0630.  That rarely happens but when the alarm went off I decided I didn't want to get up!!  Rebel, I am!!

Accomplished a lot yesterday.  Decided I would take my 40# backpack on this trip but check it in on my flights.  Mainly because I will be taking the train home and it is easier to lug around with the layovers I will have.  I will have my "carry on" (a nice little London Fog rolling carryon which I love because it is so small) for odds and ends and some clothes so that maybe I won't have to open the backpack while visiting a friend pre-cruise.  So I packed my backpack and it is already to go.  Car wash and all the bugs are gone!  She looks so lovely.  Dropped off some clothes for donation.  And I went for my torture (gym) and today I am sore!!  

Today is cleaning house day and finishing up any small details.  I am subbing M and T and my flight Wed is at 0600 so I don't want to have much to do in the next couple of days.  Luckily I am done early on M and by 1500 on T.  

As I have been feeling a little melancholic lately, I am really looking forward to do absolutely nothing for a while.  

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 32

I have decided to sit at home and wait for updates by text today.  I get dehydrated too easily.  They took hats, sunblock and water along as usual.  DDIL stands on the top of the bleachers and takes photos of the game with her nice camera and then puts them all into a folder for each individual game.  She gets some great shots.  The fields are just a two minute drive from the apartment.  

The professional soccer stadium, where the FC Dallas professional men's team play (Toyota Stadium) is across the road from the apartment, too.  There was a game last night against Columbus Crew which was televised.  We saw all the people arriving and parking nearby and walking over last night.  It was a tie 1-1.  Frisco is a busy place!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Another full day trying to catch up. Groceries, laundry, etc. etc. 

The fall rains have begun, summer is gone.  

Our daughter had a pet rabbit when she was in high school.  He was a beautiful Holland Lop-Eared chocolate bunny.  She named him "Dutch".  Cherries Jubilee was on the menu the last night of our cruise, but I chose something else.  No hunters in our family, but DH did a lot of fishing in the past.  I love any mojito, but will pass on the red wine.  The meal looks good, but we had the hamburger casserole last night (good!).  Isle of Pines was on the itinerary for the Grand Australia, but was replaced with another port.  Only 14 weeks now, and a lot to do.  

Gerry @ger_77 I had the same idea a few years ago about the king size comforter on a queen size bed.  Except I'm the covers hog in our family! 🤣 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Linda @lindaler I'm glad you are ready to go.  No last minute packing will ease the stress of travel some.  You are on the South Pacific cruise, correct?  I seem to know some relatives that will be on that cruise.  They also happen to be booked on two 42 day cruises next year that DH and I have booked.  Oh dear, this is not going to work out well.  We try to avoid them so that won't be easy for all that time.🙁

Yes, that is the cruise I plan to be on. I heard that Frank Shumand the rug day, drink guy will be on it too as well as Bill and Mary Ann @WCB. I always look at the drinks Frank publishes and follow all of Mary Ann's Blogs. Wish you guys were on it too.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lindaler said:

Yes, that is the cruise I plan to be on. I heard that Frank Shumand the rug day, drink guy will be on it too as well as Bill and Mary Ann @WCB. I always look at the drinks Frank publishes and follow all of Mary Ann's Blogs. Wish you guys were on it too.

Thank you Linda.  That would have been nice!  I hope you get to meet Bill and Mary Ann and no, those two aren't who I was referring to!😄

• Like 19

Oh Sandi.

Sorry to hear those family members are on the same cruises as you and Dennis.

Do you think you might change your booking?.

It would be a nightmare for us if a certain 2 family members were on our cruise.

• Like 14

They also happen to be booked on two 42 day cruises next year that DH and I have booked.

What are the odds that this would happen? They would have to want to go on cruises. They would have to want to go on 42-day cruises. They would have to want to go on two 42-day cruises. They would have to want the same itineraries that you do. With such low odds, it's a stroke of exceptional bad luck.

Or do you think that they might have done it intentionally? There have been people in my family with whom I wouldn't want to be on a ship, but if they were ever to book a cruise, which is unlikely, they'd be so anxious that they'd be eager to get on one where they would already know someone.

• Like 21

Good Sunday, everybody!

The memes are exceptional today. A big thanks to all who go to the trouble to find and post them!

I am very excited to be on the "about to cruise list"!  During the last few months of DH's two hospitalizations, we have been most cautious about getting excited. 3 solid Doctor "Yes!"es last week really lightened up his attitude and we are full on this week. Today was the piece de resistance (insert diacritical marks) though. I went to PetSmart to buy 120 cans of Fancy Feast, and what was the music playing?  Andy Grammer's Honey I'm Good. That's the music of my favorite song from Humanity - you know, the one where they're throwing paint.   No question about that being a perfect omen.  My omens, whether good, bad, warning, or celebrating are always

delivered with music. I'm ecstatic!

Edited by Live4cruises
  • Like 30

57 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Oh Sandi.

Sorry to hear those family members are on the same cruises as you and Dennis.

Do you think you might change your booking?.

It would be a nightmare for us if a certain 2 family members were on our cruise.

I hear ya, Graham!  I wouldn't want you to be on a cruise with your two family members either!  We honestly thought about cancelling when they bragged to us about their many cruises booked.  But then I thought, why should we be the ones to cancel?  And then I thought, maybe they will cancel some of them.  Obviously if and when we discuss this with those particular people we will let them know we want to do our own thing - no assigned dining with them or scheduling the same tours.  And if they want to know why, we will tell them!

48 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

What are the odds that this would happen? They would have to want to go on cruises. They would have to want to go on 42-day cruises. They would have to want to go on two 42-day cruises. They would have to want the same itineraries that you do. With such low odds, it's a stroke of exceptional bad luck.

Or do you think that they might have done it intentionally? There have been people in my family with whom I wouldn't want to be on a ship, but if they were ever to book a cruise, which is unlikely, they'd be so anxious that they'd be eager to get on one where they would already know someone.

Paul, when we started cruising more and more each year, they became interested in the idea too.  So now that they are retired and with no dependents human or otherwise, they are doing their best to "catch up" with us.  And I agree, exceptional bad luck!

I often wonder if they are lurking here on Cruise Critic finding out what we are up to.  Maybe I will have to go incognito and change my username here.  What a disaster!

I hear it is half time at the soccer field.  Ren did not start but is coming in next.  Score is 1 to 0 Dallas.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Rabbits are cute, except when burrowing in my yard. I'm not sure I've ever had cherries jubilee. I don't hunt or fish. Funny quote. The meal looks interesting. Pass on the drink, but yes to the wine. I haven't been to Isle of Pines. 2 good days in history.

Fall is definitely here. It's only 59 now and we may make it to 64. My bedroom was chilly, and I didn't want to come from under the comforter. I was awakened about 6:25 by leg pain. I sat up in the position that helps it, waiting for @richwmn to start today's Daily. I posted the Cares list, then managed to fall back asleep until almost 9! Again I sat up and leaned forward for a bit, enabling me to get up without too much pain. I will be composing a message to my Rheumatologist today, to see what she thinks. My teams football game is late, and I probably won't stay up until the end.

@grapau27 I hope you feel better soon, after all your vaccinations. Mine will be coming up in the next few weeks.

@ottahand7 Enjoy the game! I hope all the rain is gone by kickoff.

@StLouisCruisers Can you take a folding chair with you for the games, to sit in the shade? I couldn't stand for that long, and sitting on the ground is a no go for me. That's so sweet that your DS is a joy to be around. 

@1ANGELCAT Sorry to hear of your church member Stephanie's accident; not a nice birthday celebration for her, sadly.

@Ichiban Nekko Your meal sounds delicious. I'll have to check it out. I'm an Ina fan. I want to get a Nest thermostat, but I think my current wiring isn't right for it. I'll have to get my boiler guy to check it out.

@smitty34877 Hugs to you and the family. You all had obviously endeared yourselves to the neighbors and I'm glad they are being so kind, as well as DD's workplace.

@Lady Hudson Wonderful scenery. Good idea to get DH Bill checked out once you're home.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. And for the picture of friends enjoying food.

@kochleffel Have a meaningful Yom Kippur.

@RMLincoln I'm glad you got some good sleep. Great photo. I know with your positive attitude that you will be fine before, during and after your move.

@Haljo1935 Enjoy this 2nd leg of your cruise and thanks for your photos.

@marshhawk Congrats on getting that bonus from work. 

@Live4cruises I can feel your excitement!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those with something to Celebrate.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

METHOD 

Lodi has been a famed region for growing Zinfandel grapes for many years, but it has been the last 10-15 years that they are shining through with other varieties, including Cabernet Sauvignon.  The sub-AVAs for this wine come from Sloughhouse and Alta Mesa, which are located in the northern part of Lodi, just west of the Sierra Foothills. 80% Cabernet Sauvignon is complimented by 6% Petite Sirah and 5% Merlot.  The wine ages for 3 months in new French oak barrels.  Vegetarian friendly & gluten free.

Hmm.  I make that to be 91%.  I hope the undisclosed 9% is not MOG (Materials Other than Grapes).

Actually, I am being facetious.  It is surprising that the above report seems incomplete.  I choose to blame poor editing.

And, as an aside, some amount of MOG finds its way into every batch of wine.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1