The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 24th, 2023

richwmn

Today is International Rabbit Day, National Cherries Jubilee Day, and National Hunting and Fishing Day

I'm kidding about having only a few dollars. I might have a few dollars more. - James Brown

Meal Suggestion for today - Phyllo Meat Pie (Egyptian Goulash)
Drink of the Day - Mango Mojito
Wine of the Day - Granite Hill Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Isle of Pines, New Caledonia

Today in History:
1493 Christopher Columbus embarks on his second expedition to the New World, setting sail with a fleet of 17 ships
1934 2,500 fans see Babe Ruth's farewell Yankee appearance at Yankee Stadium

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09-25

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09-25

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, Canada d1600

Nieuw Statendam

Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 0700-1900

Noordam

At Sea Destination Glacier Bay, Alaska eta 09-25

Oosterdam

Dubrovnik, Croatia 0700-1800

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Copenhagen, Denmark eta 09-25

Volendam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 0700-1500

Zaandam

Montreal, Quebec 0700-1700

Zuiderdam

Bar Harbor, Maine 0700-1500

0924World.thumb.png.583e24dd425d66f2f6b63da9ca2b867a.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care List:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou passing on 9/18

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with bronchitis, onboard Jewel of the Seas

Marshhawk’s house issues

Tbay’s DH recovering from pneumonia

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui

Canadian/US wildfires/Those in the path of Tropical Storm Ophelia

Citizens of Ukraine

From the Rotation:

Kazu’s dear friend’s DH with leukemia, now on palliative care

Cruising-along’s DBIL diagnosed with prostate cancer

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Vict0riann and Heartgrove booking new cruises

Norseh2o’s upcoming 2-week trip

Cat shepard’s new car

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from the hospital, post-surgery for brain bleed

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for ocean sounds (Royal Princess Sept 25 to Oct 2, Vancouver to Honolulu)

5 days for Rafinmd (Queen Mary 2/Crystal Serenity Sept 29 to Oct 13) NE, CA/Quebec City to NY

6 days for Cruzn single (Zuiderdam Sept 30 to Oct 10, The Atlantic Coast)

6 days for Ichiban Nekko (Zuiderdam Sept 30 to Oct 10, The Atlantic Coast)

6 days for WannaSea (Koningsdam Sept 30 to Oct 7, AK Inside Passage)

7 days for Nickelpenny (Noordam Oct 1 to Oct 8, Wine Country & PNW)

7 days for Live4cruises (Westerdam Oct 1 to 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector)

Heartgrove (MSC Preziosa to Sept 24, British Isles + 2 days in Copenhagen), Lady Hudson (Jewel of the Seas to Sept 28, Canada and Greenland), Haljo1935 (Carnival Venezia to Sept 29, B2B, NY/Canada/NE), SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam to Oct 1, Great Alaskan Explorer), tupper10 (Noordam to Oct 1, Great Alaskan Explorer), Oceansaway17 (Celebrity Summit Oct 2, Boston, Maine & Canada), Vmax1700 (Rotterdam to Oct 7, Jewels of the Baltic) and Mr. Boston (Oosterdam to Oct 8, Med Tapestry, Greece & Adriatic Antiquities)

• Like 26
  • Thanks 18

Good afternoon.

Father David is away  making a speech so No Sermon today.

Our church warden James took today's service.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich @richwmn.

It is 62°F and cloudy here now.

I was sleepy with a headache yesterday after having my booster jab on Friday so we took Pauline's car to church as I was still feeling the effects of the booster.

I have my Flu jab tomorrow.

We regularly have rabbits in our back and front garden and we both like them.

I will pass on everything else.

I hope everyone is safe and well and my Dailyite friends have a wonderful day.

IMG_20230924_114507.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

and thanks Ann, Vanessa, Dixie & Debbie

Good collection of days.  I’ll happily celebrate rabbits provided they stay out of my gardens 😉 LOL on the Brown quote.  We’ve been to New Caledonia bur not to the Isle of Pines.  Two significant days in history indeed, today.

IMG_1186.jpeg.9263c3b52f14b601c1571c74675150f1.jpeg

Ivan was feeling his oats on the walk yesterday so I believe he is fully recovered 😂 👍 Lots to do today - just have to figure out where to start and how to.

IMG_1179.thumb.jpeg.63b5773c1d7a299ab376298bf663c2e0.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, worries & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_1183.jpeg.f6d2079ba08d68fe6191da107bc2dc5e.jpeg

Have a good Sunday everyone

• Like 31
  • Haha 12

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich!  Another cool, breezy morning. I actually zipped up my fleece this morning. Looks to be another gorgeous day! Yesterday was picture perfect. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us!  Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores. Maybe some pool time - might keep me out of trouble. I definitely want to spend as much time outdoors as possible!

IMG_1768.jpeg.afa3859ba0de7f8c2bd146e527f02fe0.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg.3e6cf276b845f392dc4ba861e88807e6.jpeg

IMG_1767.jpeg.0a571a4fd00523e61e4dd1128094f910.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, keeping you and your extended family in my prayers. The picture of Fred on that rug is one to cherish. Thank you for sharing it with us. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Hope we each find a reason to smile today!

Granite Hill Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon 2020

I used the 2020 vintage info, since it should be widely available. This California Cab has some fans in the consumer leagues who think it is very good - excellent. I couldn’t find any critic reviews, but it is priced to try. And if you are not a fan - use it for cooking. Widely available with prices starting at $10.99.

Distributor notes

Granite Hill Cellars is a newly released brand by the Kautz Family of Lodi, California.  The name comes from the rocky and “granite” terroir the family’s vineyards grow on.  The soft rolling hills, in conjunction with the Pacific Ocean Delta breezes make these vineyards ideal for grapes of distinction.  Practicing “sustainability” for over 30 years, the family is committed to the longevity of their land and the environment around them.

Aromas of dark cherries and toasted vanilla oak, followed up with flavors of black currants, blueberries, sweet raspberry and slight hint of tobacco and spice.  The palate is dry and the finish is lingering and flavorful with red currants and oak.   Delicious with grilled meats, especially tri-tip and ribeye or enjoy with wild game, such as venison, duck confit or a decadent dark chocolate dessert. 

METHOD 

Lodi has been a famed region for growing Zinfandel grapes for many years, but it has been the last 10-15 years that they are shining through with other varieties, including Cabernet Sauvignon.  The sub-AVAs for this wine come from Sloughhouse and Alta Mesa, which are located in the northern part of Lodi, just west of the Sierra Foothills.  80% Cabernet Sauvignon is complimented by 6% Petite Sirah and 5% Merlot.  The wine ages for 3 months in new French oak barrels.  Vegetarian friendly & gluten free.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 7

Good morning from rainy and a bit windy Hunt Valley, Maryland.   The storm is slowly moving out so we may get a few breaks for the Ravens game notably the 11 o'clock hour when we will start our long walk over from downtown Baltimore.  Have a great Sunday.  Nancy 

• Like 29

Good morning friends!  Wow, it's 82 degrees (not even 6 am) and will be sunny and 100 today.  The soccer game today has been moved from 9 am to 11 am.  I'm not sure I can stand in the sun or even the shade from 11 to 1 in those temperatures.  🙁

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.  They have an international rabbit day? 🐰 Good for them!  I enjoy cherries jubilee but have never been hunting and rarely been fishing.  That's quite a quote by James Brown.  I will also pass on the meat pie, mango mojito and cabernet sauvignon.  This was a good day for Christopher Columbus but a sad one for Babe Ruth.  Only 2,500 people watched him that day?  Seems like not enough!  Thank you to the ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports today.

Prayers today for the Care list so carefully crafted by Vanessa @JazzyV.  Prayers and hugs to Terry @smitty34877 and the family, Tana, and Baby Murphy and her family.  That is such a tragedy...  Prayers for DB and my friend's DB Mark.  No movement on either person's health.  Cheers to all those cruisers, and to others celebrating something.  Congrats to Annie @marshhawk on the big sale.  Hoping this is a good day for everyone and we all accomplish what we set out to do.  Sorry to hear you are feeling a little under the weather Graham @grapau27.  Pauline's car needed a drive anyway, right?

I am thankful to be here with my DS and DDIL along with dear Ren.  Too bad DS has to go home tonight to Michigan.  He is such a joy to be around and I miss him a lot when we have long stretches between visits.  😇😘  DH and I go home Tuesday.

Today our port is Isle of Pines, New Caledonia, another new port to the Daily.  I have not been before so have no photos.  I hope someone here had quite an adventure there and will share some photos today.  

As usual when I order a new Shutterfly photo book they decide whether I will be home or not the next few days to make their decision on how fast to create and ship it.  Since we were going away a week, they got right on it and it's waiting for me at my post office already.  Less than a week!  If I am home they wait two weeks to create it and shipping itself then seems to take another 5 or 6 days so I sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for it.  Thanks Shutterfly!😖

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Very early morning here in San Diego.  I can't sleep.  Perhaps worrying too much about the high price of fish on the other thread.  🤣

Of all things, the cherries jubilee sounds nicest today.  A phyllo meat pie would be a good start to the meal.

I plan to have a quiet day today -- after a hectic week.  When DGD spent the night with us while her baby brother was in the hospital, she wouldn't let me brush her hair before school and really had wild curls flying everywhere.  I found out later it was picture day.  

Many thanks to all our contributors here at the Daily.  Wishing everyone a pleasant and peaceful Sunday.

• Like 36

34 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Father David is away  making a speech so No Sermon today.

Our church warden James took today's service.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich @richwmn.

It is 62°F and cloudy here now.

I was sleepy with a headache yesterday after having my booster jab on Friday so we took Pauline's car to church as I was still feeling the effects of the booster.

I have my Flu jab tomorrow.

We regularly have rabbits in our back and front garden and we both like them.

I will pass on everything else.

I hope everyone is safe and well and my Dailyite friends have a wonderful day.

IMG_20230924_114507.jpg

What the heck’s going on. No breakfast sandwich?

• Like 4
  • Haha 19

Mango Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Mango Rum
4 chunks fresh Mango
1 dash fresh Lime Juice
1 splash Simple Syrup
4-6 leaves Fresh Mint Leaves
Soda Water

Instructions
Muddle mint and mango chunks with simple syrup in a tall glass. Add lime juice, Cruzan® Mango Rum and ice. Stir and top with soda water. Garnish with mint.

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 7.38.48 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily report.  Today is another wet and rainy day.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion and look forward to pictures and recipes.  Today’s dinner will be a pork roast that is marinating with mashed potatoes and a vegetable to be named later.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
Today’s agenda and is encouraged by Mona.

image.thumb.png.343d227e9d4498f942c66c726b246058.png

• Like 29
  • Haha 5

Happy WET Sunday from Maryland.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie.  @ottahand7 wishing you a great day cheering the Ravens on to victory. 

I'll take a pass on 2 of the days but Cherries Jubilee sounds really nice. 

Interesting point of view by James Brown.  I have not been to Isle of Pines.

I wonder if Columbus ever figured out where he was going.  I'll gladly celebrate Babe Ruth as a Baltimore son.

Not sure about the meal,  My alternative is Pot Roast Vegetable Cassarole and Meringue Berry Tart as served at MS Oosterdam's Mariner Brunch September 29, 2017.

brunch.jpg

Congrats to @RMLincoln.  Devastating news on Baby Murphy.  Got out only briefly yesterday to the mail box and today may not be much better.

Roy

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

There was a bunny on our front lawn when Bertie and I returned from our walk, guess he knew it was his day.  

Amusing quote.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see recipes.  The drink and wine sound good.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good still raining morning . It’s supposed to be raining off and on all day. 
I like cherries jubilee and remember when they were done table side. 
I had an email this morning from our former church secretary that  a member Stephanie fell and fractured her tibia while hiking on vacation. She’s home now but will need surgery later. This was her birthday celebration.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Dailyites! The Early Birds among you have already brought more than one smile to my face, along with more than one snort  😆 . Thank you all.

Yesterday’s threatened high winds and severe winds did not really materialize. DH grew up in what is now considered a Seattle suburb, and thought he was back there: constant drizzle, windy and raw temps. I made a batch of Ina Garten’s Rigatoni with Sausage & Fennel (subbing in turkey sausage) that just hit the spot for dinner, with salads and a lovely Virginia wine (Ox Eye Lemberger). The remainder was divided into 2-person portions & frozen, so there are now 6 future main courses taken care of!

And to finish a great day, The Os got a win in Cleveland. Younger DGS (resident of the Cleveland area and a Commanders’s fan) not so happy, but we certainly were. It has been such a long time since Cal was on the streak. Even watching the games on TV, you can just feel the excitement when they are on a home stand at Orioles Park in Baltimore.

Earlier in the day, I starting sorting ‘stuff’ for the trip: power cords, masks, COVID tests, lanyards, bingo dangers, etc. We also now have a new Nest thermostat installed. Yay! When we sold our home last year, the Wi-Fi thermostats associated with its new HVAC system went with it. Of course, our short-term rental had no such item. If the builder offered it as an option here, the pricing was outrageous. It took us a while, but now we have it again. Yay! Just in time for the trip.

I will be calling our pharmacy shortly after they open to find out if they have the new COVID vaccines and, if so, try to get an appointment. It may not take full effect before our departure, but it sure won’t hurt.

I will lurk throughout the day; all your contributions lift the spirit. 

Have a great day everyone!

-Cat

• Like 32

Good morning. A short post as we get ready for church. Sue made a zucchini crust pizza last night from scratch. I wasn’t sure about it but the pizza was really good. Having friends over for dinner tonight and this afternoon will probably be NASCAR.

Currently 62 degrees but will reach 89 later. Will try an get walk in after church.

Thanks for the Fleet Report and have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.5d25ced9342a68aa9ebc52d00c78b161.jpegimage.jpeg.8dd743d19e3fdde981f03de737146028.jpegimage.jpeg.b2cc29fdeab54f416bb307e92b751b10.jpegimage.jpeg.10309d9d11a0b6289a454b9e02c04512.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.83179fddc55fa6e145e42206cb0b804f.jpegimage.jpeg.36a9b04bc9c459155647bfc70f41b246.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 25

Good morning. The post tropical storm is causing more rain and possible flooding in our area.The winds will pick up later this afternoon. It is only 61 degrees.

I have not been to the port,like the days and fondly remember seeing James Brown. He came to the city I grew up in when I was in High School and we all piled into an old movie theater for the occasion.We danced in the aisles and had a great time. He was such a talented man.

We are stumbling around here trying to get used to a very changed life.DD is helping me with paperwork and phone calls and our neighbors have been terrific as usual. Yesterday a beautiful vegetarian lasagna with bechamel sauce was brought over with a cinnamon coffee cake for dessert. We are having that tonight. DD’s workplace has sent three separate food deliveries which we have all enjoyed. 
Enjoy the day everyone.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Prayers for those in need.

We continue to sail.  Scenery is beautiful.  Temp today is 45 degrees as we head toward Newfoundland.  DH Bill’s bronchitis is a bit better but will call doctor when get home on Thursday.

Photos from yesterday leaving Greenland.

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0850.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

Edited by Lady Hudson
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 7

Good morning,

The rain has finally stopped. We had a hailstorm yesterday afternoon that scared DGD. I hope my lawn dries up with the sun today as there are aerating and over seeding my lawn tomorrow. If it is anything like their mowing they will tear it to pieces if it is wet. 

I had to play mean Gma last night. Both kids wanted to spend the night again but we’re fighting so bad I sent them home. One kiddo at a time works better. We will see how next weekend goes. 

I signed up for luggage forward yesterday. I decided since it is included I will bring some things I normally wouldn’t if I had to lug it myself. I am feeling the pressure of such a long trip. 

I am enjoying reading about our Daily friends travels. Some of them are going to places I have future cruises planned. 

@smitty34877 you will be stumbling around for quite sometime as you find your new groove. This all happens so quickly you have not had time to process it all. 

Prayers and safe travels for all. Have a great day. 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a sunny central Texas.  It is 79F and already feels like 85F, and the predicted high 99F to 101F.  The humidity is 78% with a dew point of 72F, but an 11mph wind should help some.  Tomorrow will be cooler, but with the prediction of overnight rain, I can't wait until tomorrow to mow the yard. I plan on getting out as early as possible so I can be finished before it gets too hot.  It seems like now that it is fall, summer is back.

Three interesting days, but I think International Rabbit Day should be on the first of the month.  🐰🐰🐇 🤣  It's been a while since we've had Cherries Jubilee.  We are not hunters or fishermen, but may in Texas are.

An interesting quote by James Brown.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I'll take a plain mojito.  The wine with a good prices sounds like it's worth a try.

We have not been to the Isle of Pines or any place in New Caledonia.

Two more good days in history to celebrate.  I know Yankee fans were sad in 1934 when Babe Ruth made his final appearance in Yankee Stadium.  We went to a football game in the old Yankee Stadium, and it was small even in 1969.

@grapau27  Graham, I hope you feel better today.  That was the same reaction I had to one of the boosters, but it was only for one day.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad Ivan is back to his normal self.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad you will make the Ravens game today.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, good luck to Ren and the team today.  I hope it's not too hot during the game.  BTW, if it will make it easier Tuesday for me to post the links to the port of the day, just let me know.

@smitty34877  I'm glad you are getting help with the paperwork and phone calls.  I'm glad so many neighbors and DD's work are helping with the food.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, thank you for the pictures.  I'm glad your DH is improving, but seeing your PCP when you get home probably is a good idea.

361939736_659874046163033_2190259692624193079_n.thumb.jpg.d1e7fbbb0961aa849b1516499b043ae0.jpg

362964444_711413174329514_8810858098976176890_n.thumb.jpg.b0af704e1e5f953ca8b13af58a7aa232.jpg

366060015_625898026302896_2787316899211582142_n.jpg.d5991accd0042e92886271c730a3d977.jpg

374201669_686828060148848_5474768141344396888_n.jpg.8e0262417a5683f38cb035d1fa4cb5d3.jpg

370176603_765693495563551_921462994194683889_n.jpg.4110856ca745331bf27402a1c15fb50e.jpg

366748369_249605814656761_7597117549028915861_n.jpg.f24004c8579ebb95c77618eda5626d2d.jpg

367073093_24441958622069877_377695326010654277_n.thumb.jpg.4053f5b4c85ec8b66fc104ce3f41cedc.jpg

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 29

Good morning, everyone!

We had a wonderful day yesterday!   We went to Frankenmuth and met my friends for lunch.  After lunch we hit up Bronner's and added to our ornament collection.  Then we came home and more friends from Ohio came over for dinner.  We had brats on the grill along with corn on the grill.  Mmmm.  We stayed up way too late talking and having a blast.  Today we're heading to the gardens to explore.  

Today's meal sounds pretty good to me.  The crunch of the phyllo dough adds to the pleasure.   https://www.themediterraneandish.com/phyllo-meat-pie-recipe-egyptian-goulash/

phyllomeatpie1.thumb.jpg.6dfcd22c064a532ef95ed85afef1a0ef.jpg

That recipe calls for baharat spice.   

Baharat (which means "spices" in Arabic) is a spice blend used in Middle Eastern (especially the Arabian Gulf region) and Greek cuisine. 

Typical baharat seasoning ingredients include allspice, chili peppers, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, and peppercorns.

Seasonings in this version are a little different.   https://amiraspantry.com/ground-beef-goulash-phyllo-pie/

phyllomeatpie2.thumb.jpg.0c2efda854a70186433d1af00de9fdb0.jpg

This one does not include the tomato paste the previous one did.  https://www.hungrypaprikas.com/egyptian-goulash/

phyllomeatpie3.thumb.jpg.8e7f17538bd494017e33f2f663607c74.jpg

Here's the Zehnder's Chicken in Frankenmuth.  

Frankenmuth.thumb.jpg.2f55de1c59d3db72d11cbdd63b1f9579.jpg

And good friends enjoying good food.

dinnerparty.thumb.jpg.759b5b7157e7f58e9d12ca4b164d580b.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

Hmm, my garden is essentially a rabbit sanctuary. I'll be ready for cherries jubilee around 7:00 p.m., if you'd like to bring some over. I approve of hunting and fishing by those who eat what they catch.

The phyllo meat pie would be OK, too. No on the cocktail. For the wine, maybe the 2021 Cabernet Sauvignon from Fox Run Vineyards. I haven't been to New Caledonia.

I need to go to Aldi but may wait until the rain slacks off. I also have an outdoor group meeting (I mean that the meeting is outdoors) this afternoon, and it will probably still be raining but there's a shelter.

Then Yom Kippur begins this evening. All of my attendance will be virtual, at three different synagogues, two of which, in other cities, are using some liturgy that I wrote (one in the morning, one in the afternoon).

pharmacist.thumb.jpg.432c0798fbbe2d85108d20e483ff3fb9.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16