Watch your onboard account carefully!

nurse1944

My husband and I just returned from a Summit 11 day cruise out of Boston(Sept 10-21),  We had an ejoyable cruise, but were disappointed in the incorrect charges to our onboard account.  We had 4 incorrect charges, 3 for premium glasses of wine and 1 for a bottle of wine.  We had the premium beverage package, sothe 3 beverage charges should have benn covered.  We never ordered the bottle of wine.  All charges were reversed after conversing with guest services.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I just don’t understand how mischarges happen. Don’t they need your cruise card in order for any charge to show up on your folio?  I have taken for granted that my end of cruise charges were correct. Shame on me for not looking more closely. You can bet I’ll be checking on our next cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nurse1944 said:

My husband and I just returned from a Summit 11 day cruise out of Boston(Sept 10-21),  We had an ejoyable cruise, but were disappointed in the incorrect charges to our onboard account.  We had 4 incorrect charges, 3 for premium glasses of wine and 1 for a bottle of wine.  We had the premium beverage package, sothe 3 beverage charges should have benn covered.  We never ordered the bottle of wine.  All charges were reversed after conversing with guest services.  

Goes on a good bit on cruises, the staff on board isn’t perfect. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I just don’t understand how mischarges happen. Don’t they need your cruise card in order for any charge to show up on your folio?  I have taken for granted that my end of cruise charges were correct. Shame on me for not looking more closely. You can bet I’ll be checking on our next cruise!

I have had staff ask me for room number if I didn’t have my cruise card..it would be pretty easy to input wrong number. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

They don’t need your card to enter charges , all they need it a room number 

sometimes there can be a fat finger mistake if they type in a wrong number 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm somewhat wondering the same thing as its somewhat understandable if you're just ordering a $5 coffee or even a $20 cocktail they can just enter a room number, print a receipt and have the guest sign it...Yet is this the case for a somewhat major purchases like a bottle of wine?  I know a lot of times when your card is swiped, a picture of the guest appears but perhaps that's not on all computers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nurse1944 said:

So sorry that happened to you. This honestly happen to us at least a few times every cruise and we find it so frustrating. I feel nit-picky complaining about it each time but since we never even drink the items we are being charged for...no excuse. It is a disappointing way to end a cruise or to deal with while on vacation.

• Like 2

I always take a photo of the account screen on the TV just before disembarking.  Many years ago there was an issue with many people getting charged for the full contents of the mini bar after the sailing.  You just had to notice it on your credit card bill.   Happened on about 3 consecutive sailings each being around $150 over charge.  It was taken care of with a phone call but how many people don't notice?

I had a similar case with an Avis car rental in the last couple of months.  Returned car to small airport, attendant was in the lot and just took the keys.  Evidently he didn't check the car in until a couple of hours after my plane departed.  Ended up with an extra hr on the bill to the tune of over $100.  I called and they took the hour charge off but didn't unwind the extra day on all the taxes.   Wasn't worth $20 to me to call again.

• Thanks 1

We check the account every morning.. Easier to correct as soon as it happens.

The last day charges seem to happen quite a bit,  when it's not easy to call or waIt on line.. The screen shot is a great idea.

Do they still slip the final bill under the door?

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

We also check daily and if any incorrect charges, find guest services very accommodating.  I’m sure it doesn’t happen often, but I often wonder what’s to prevent someone from just giving a random stateroom number when asked and does this account for the errors?  Much prefer they just ask for our sea pass card.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We check the account every morning.. Easier to correct as soon as it happens.

The last day charges seem to happen quite a bit,  when it's not easy to call or waIt on line.. The screen shot is a great idea.

Do they still slip the final bill under the door?

Sailed Beyond in Feb and Aug, no final bill under the door for us. 

Patty 

11 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

No they don’t need the card.  We have often been at a bar and they just ask for the cabin #, I think the system calls up a photo,  but in a jammed packed bar they may not always look and it is easy to hit a wrong key.  Mini bar charges don’t require a card, either

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cw2go said:

Sailed Beyond in Feb and Aug, no final bill under the door for us. 

Patty 

I haven’t had a final bill under the door in years.  Your account is visible on tge TV and in the app.  I have frequently gotten a email with the final invoice within a hour or so of disembarking

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

I check our account daily but that's only to keep track of the sneaky fast ones Mrs Baggy imbibes when she's out on an alleged errand 😉

I know what you mean. Noticed OBC was gone. Told my wife I was going down to GS to find out why. She told me not to bother them as they are way to busy with other more important issues. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

I haven’t had a final bill under the door in years.  Your account is visible on tge TV and in the app.  I have frequently gotten a email with the final invoice within a hour or so of disembarking

I was just offering @hcat a recent experience since he/she asked. I didn't need or miss it. 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go

We had a mistake, charged in the theater about $20. Went to guest services at night, no line, easily fixed. But glad I checked. 

Someone was asking about giving them your sea pass. We always do. However, your sea pass does not have the number of the floor, it only has the last three numbers, ( your room number) so they have to ask for your full room number because it’s not printed on your sea pass - at least on the summit this week. 

But if they tap the RFID in the card it brings up your account.   On the restart they were only asking for cabin numbers so they could be "touchless".   More recently I've seen them "swiping" cards more.

In the theater is is very easy for them to swipe the wrong card for the wrong drink as they have a stack of cards for the many orders they take at a time.   I've even received the wrong card back in the theater.

This can be annoying and shouldn't happen.  It happened to me twice on my recent Edge B2B cruise.  We are Captain's Club Elite members and get selected free drinks between 5 pm and 7 pm.  When I checked my account on the last night, I saw that I was charged $10.40 for 2 bottles of water that each should have been free, particularly since I clearly said each time that I was served the water that I was taking it as part of the Elite benefit.  By the time I figured it out and went down to Guest Services and waited in line and explained the situation and they looked it up, 45 minutes had gone by.  It may seem minor, but that's 45 minutes on vacation that I shouldn't have had to spend, particularly when Celebrity tacks on a 20% service charge to everything.

You just have to be careful or otherwise be prepared to write off the cost of getting it fixed.

6 hours ago, cw2go said:

I was just offering @hcat a recent experience since he/she asked. I didn't need or miss it. 

Patty 

I stand corrected. My husb says its all been on screen for awhile.  Guess it was wishful thinking on my part...I like paper and print outs

• Like 1